Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Maximus

Re: Hoggers

Post by Maximus »

Great Small Copperer shots, Hoggers :D and the last one is a real stunner :D

Mike

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely shots. Wish I could see one - they seem to have gone missing from my neck of the woods. :(

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brill Coppers Hoggers :D 23 in one sitting is a massive number of them :shock: :mrgreen: The tailed last specimen is a cracker :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Hoggers, some cracking Small Coppers there, particularly that last one. Yours are well in front of those I am seeing here in the midlands, still on second brood here although they are past their best now.
Hoggers wrote: ...I had only a quick glimpse of this unusual looking chap before he flew up and disappeared on the wind...
I reckon that chap is a girlie which is why she looks a bit different :wink: the females tend to be a bit larger and paler.

Cheers,

Neil.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Many thanks for the kind comments and also for the ID on that Copper, Neil. Until you pointed that out I'd thought the sexes were indistinguishable!

The weather forecast for tomorrow is pretty grim so it looked like I'd better make the most of today if I was going to see any butterflies at all this holiday weekend.

I've yet to see any Silver-spotted Skippers this year so I naturally thought of a visit to Lydden but yet again I felt Dungeness calling to me with the prospect of seeing Small Coppers in good numbers, so that's where I went!

I was met by a lovely Humming-bird Hawk Moth
IMG_5597.JPG
And very soon after I came across my first Small Copper of the day
IMG_5603.JPG
IMG_5608.JPG
Last week I counted 23
IMG_5609.JPG
And this week I counted 23 !
IMG_5610.JPG
IMG_5621.JPG
IMG_5638.JPG
IMG_5654.JPG
IMG_5659.JPG
My favourite of the day was this chap with his bold black markings
IMG_5689.JPG
IMG_5691.JPG
Very handsome indeed
IMG_5692.JPG
IMG_5693.JPG
IMG_5694.JPG
There were several Small Tortoiseshells and Red Admirals about and many worn Common Blues
IMG_5619.JPG
Along the beach I counted 7 Clouded Yellows
IMG_5733.JPG
Here's one flying past
IMG_5785.JPG
IMG_5787.JPG
IMG_5789.JPG
IMG_5791.JPG
I was also delighted to find a Painted Lady
IMG_5775.JPG
Those eye-spots on the forewings give it a particularly Owl-like stare
IMG_5781.JPG
(It put me in mind of Alan Garner's "The Owl Service"!)

It was good to see Clouded Yellows
IMG_5815.JPG
IMG_5816.JPG
I saw lots of Small Coppers in their last generation of the year
IMG_5712.JPG
IMG_5713.JPG
IMG_5715.JPG
And I tried to make the most of them
IMG_5761.JPG
IMG_5767.JPG
I'm not looking forward to all that rain tomorrow!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Some absolutely fantastic Small Copper photos there Hoggers, that boldly marked individual is a stunner :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks Wurzel, that Small Copper really stood out.

I had the chance to go back to Dungeness today to see the Small Coppers
IMG_5844.JPG
IMG_5867.JPG
It was breezy there but warm at first
IMG_5869.JPG
During my walk I counted no less 32 Small Coppers
IMG_5876.JPG
This one, a female I believe, really caught my eye
IMG_5885.JPG
Not only because of the colouring on the forewings but because the band on her hindwing is striking and unusual.

I was lucky to find two members of the SCBBC (Small Copper Blue Badge Club)
IMG_5946.JPG
IMG_5956.JPG
Always a bonus
IMG_6000.JPG
IMG_6014.JPG
IMG_6025.JPG
IMG_6039.JPG
As for other butterflies I saw Small Tortoiseshells, Red Admirals, Meadow Browns, Small Whites, Common Blues and a Clouded Yellow
IMG_6090.JPG
(Also the Humming-bird Hawk Moth that I saw on Sunday was still there.)

It started to cloud over and fell cold surprisingly quickly so I headed for home but at least I'd managed to see some beautiful butterflies
IMG_6077.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More stunning Coppers Hoggers :D :mrgreen: Those blue spots are great - is the one with the unusual margin band is a bit like a "radiata" only not, if that makes sense :? :roll: :lol: Definitely something not usual :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Last edited by Wurzel on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Fantastic Coppers with gorgeous blue spots and that female is stunning and unusual :mrgreen:

David M

Post by David M »

Wow! This species is clearly thriving at that location. Lovely shots once again, which are a continual reminder of how FEW I've seen in 2014. :(

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Cracking Coppers there Hoggers! Did you see these at the RSPB site or near the power station?

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi All, many thanks for your comments. I'm glad you liked the "Blue Badgers" Pauline, it really makes my day when I find one.

The female was a stunner
IMG_5885.JPG
It was a bit like a radiata wasn't it, Wurzel? Here's a close-up of the hindwing
IMG_5885 - Version 2.jpg
Very nice indeed.

They clearly thrive at Dungeness, David. I will easily count 70+ on a walk at the height of the season, there must be hundreds. I don't know if a formal count is ever made but I wonder if there are any other locations that support such a larger population of Small Coppers.

Hi EssexB, thanks for your comments. I find all my Coppers around the power station,the black lighthouse, the bird observatory and the trapping area. As you probably know, Dungeness is a fantastic place to visit
IMG_6014.JPG
Happy Hunting!

David M

Post by David M »

70 Small Coppers is quite astonishing. What is it that attracts them in such numbers?

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I'm not sure David. I know there's plenty of Sorrel for the caterpillars and lots of sources of nectar for the adults. It's a large area, rather bare (which they seem to favour) and protected as an nature reserve. All that must help. I've never visited a site that has such a large population. There must be some experts out there who know: I'm just glad the Coppers like it!

Best wishes,

Hoggers

David M

Post by David M »

Me too, Hoggers. This species has been conspicuous by its absence this year. I reckon I've seen fewer than two dozen in spite of the mild spring and warm summer.

I'm almost praying for another abnormally cold winter as the last one seemed to do no harm at all to subsequent butterfly numbers.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

A Painted Lady was fluttering at my bedroom window this morning
P1060286.JPG
And a Holly Blue appeared in the garden for the second day in a row
IMG_6102.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely photo's Hoggers, I've seen quite a lot more Small Coppers here in the North than I've seen in previous years, unfortunately they've not been in the condition yours were in.
I've only seen one Holly Blue this year and that was in the Spring, your lucky to have one visit your Garden Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

That's a great double for late August, Hoggers!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Brother Hoggles and I set out for Dungeness this morning, arriving there at 10 am. Immediately on getting out of the car we saw a Painted Lady
IMG_6171.JPG
It was in the company of Large and Small Whites, a Small Tortoiseshell, three Red Admirals, Meadow Browns, Common Blues, Brown Argus and a Clouded Yellow
IMG_6184.JPG
So we got off to a very good start indeed!

Next we saw a Small Heath (which neither of us could get close enough to photograph it was so flighty) followed by the butterfly both of us most wanted to see
IMG_6224.JPG
During our walk we saw Small Coppers on almost every clump of ragwort
IMG_6385.JPG
We saw courtship behaviour on a couple of occasions
IMG_6231.JPG
IMG_6233.JPG
And a great deal of feisty aerial combat from this most pugilistic of butterflies
IMG_6237.JPG
(Although they look as if butter wouldn't melt in their mouths!)
IMG_6255.JPG
We came across just one member of the Blue Badge Club
IMG_6299.JPG
One with hardly any markings
IMG_6278.JPG
And then I found this
IMG_6320.JPG
IMG_6327.JPG
IMG_6328.JPG
A radiata!
IMG_6332.JPG
IMG_6336.JPG
IMG_6339.JPG
IMG_6346.JPG
We were over the moon!

The Small Copper is such a rewarding butterfly to study
IMG_6347.JPG
IMG_6350.JPG
It really does pay to look closely at every one of them you see
IMG_6371.JPG
What beautiful butterflies they are
IMG_6245.JPG
IMG_6392.JPG
Happy days!
IMG_6395.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Wow! That's a really interesting aberration, Hoggers.

You really are responsible for 90% of UK Small Copper sightings this year! :)

Return to “Personal Diaries”