Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Wurzel

Post by millerd »

Another excellent selection of SSB shots, Wurzel. :) That last one has really striking dark borders, and overall there's quite a bit of variation there. Your descriptions of their behaviour is also intriguing - I've never taken the time to watch them for a while going about their lives like that. :mrgreen: :)

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Some enviable Silver Stud shots there, Wurzel :mrgreen: .Great mating pair shot!
Missed them this year but yours offer some compensation.

Great stuff!
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D I think because there were so many of them I didn't know where to look first and so in a befuddled state I just sort of mooched about and watched more than tried for shots so I started seeing things :D
Cheers Trevor :D Perhaps next year when you visit your daughter I could take you on a 'Grand Tour' - Alners, Lulworth and Slop Bog stopping at Martin Down on the way home? :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Blues Wurzel, especially the mating pair :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D The mating pairs were actually quite tricky as they didn't sit straight, one or the other was at a slight angle compared to the other so getting them both in focus was really tricky - they don't make it easy do they? :roll: :lol:

The Devenish 06-07-2023

As the end of term drew near I could sense the impending change in the weather and so when the usual Thursday meeting was cancelled I took the opportunity to spend an hour at the Devenish to maximise my butterflying before the holiday started and the weather went belly up. I pulled into the car park pulled my boots on and started off up the little track way to the Paddocks.As I entered the cool shade offered by the woodland margins on either side a Large Skipper buzzed around at my feet while a brace of Small Whites danced in and out of the dappled shade and a H.Comma sat proud on a leave overseeing all that went on beneath. Once I was over the first gate then I was away as the other gate that separates the small from the large field was open. Ahead of me the Down rose upwards and I could see large numbers of butterflies taking advantage of the Scabious. The Meadow Browns, Smessex and Marbled Whites were all too numerous or to mobile to count but immediately obvious among the throng were three Large Whites, a couple of Small Whites and a Painted Lady, the latter of which I spent some time admiring.
06-07-2023 1.JPG
06-07-2023 2.JPG
06-07-2023 3.JPG
06-07-2023 4.JPG
06-07-2023 5.JPG
06-07-2023 6.JPG
06-07-2023 7.JPG
I then took a stroll along the foot of the Down where the ground was level. Again the various Browns and Skippers were too difficult to count accurately so I decided for the rest of the visit to concentrate on just recording the less frequent species. This stretch seemed to be favoured by the Small Whites as all 5 that I saw were this species. A Brown Argus took off from under my feet and after I’d tracked it down I saw that it was really fresh indicating that the second brood had started. A Small Copper was next to appear, hassling the Smessex Skippers. It too was brilliantly fresh, so much so that when the light hit it at the right angle the scale on the wing glittered like gold.
06-07-2023 8.JPG
06-07-2023 9.JPG
06-07-2023 10.JPG
As I followed it took me on a circuitous route round the end of the field and then back the way I’d come so much so that I was half way up the Down and half way back to the fence where I’d started by the time I lost sight of it. I didn’t mind though as a Large White sat nicely in front of me as I looked up and a few Hedgies had ventured away from the fence/hedge and out into the depths of the grasses. I made my way back towards the side of the hill by the fence and the Painted Lady was still flying about here so I reacquainted myself with it before getting back to the important business of checking the Hedgies for extra spots. My searching and peering at every individual paid off as there was an ab.excessa, with a couple of extra eyes showing nicely on the under wings.
06-07-2023 11.JPG
06-07-2023 12.JPG
06-07-2023 13.JPG
06-07-2023 14.JPG
06-07-2023 15.JPG
06-07-2023 16.JPG
Pleased that this little spot was so productive I decided to venture forth once more and check out how the rest of the site was doing. SO I made my way back down the track towards the car park with 5 whites, one of which turned out to be a Green-veined, were flying across the path between two large Bramble bushes which were slightly offset from the wire fence. A Red Admiral joined them and the H.Comma had been joined by a second and both took great delight in tearing chunks out of each other at every available opportunity. It was great to watch but not quite too great to try and photograph as with shot lined up one or the other would fly in and away both would go, tumbling skywards locked in a spiralling death dance. From here I made my way down the tunnel track and into the Orchid Meadow where a pair of Specklies were debating whose territory it was.
06-07-2023 17.JPG
06-07-2023 18.JPG
The Orchid Meadow held the same range of species as the Paddocks barring the Painted Lady and so after a quick look around to check for any obviously different species I headed upwards once more taking the steep and narrow track up to the Down proper. The Bramble bushes on the way were alive with Hedgies and a Holly Blue, Sivler-washed and H.Comma all tripped past. There were also a few Ringlets emerging from the longer stems of grass like little puffs of smoke before embroiling themselves in the Briar. One caught my eye as it seemed to have overly large (but when looked at later actually normal) eyes on its underside. At the very top on the right hand side of the scallop there was another H.Comma and a Small White on the Bramble but by now I felt like the sands of time were leaking away from me and so I set off across the Middle Down, down and back round through the Orchid Meadow in quick time. The only thing of note on my route march was a Small Copper which was right at the top of Middle Down. Once back in the car park I realised that I actually still had a little time to spare and so I spent it with the H.Commas, waiting for them to behave and settle down.
06-07-2023 19.JPG
06-07-2023 20.JPG
06-07-2023 21.JPG
06-07-2023 22.JPG
06-07-2023 23.JPG
At the Devenish
Met by a Painted Lady
What a bonus trip

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I love that shot of the Painted lady on the Blue flower Wurzel, it brings the colours of the Butterfly out more :mrgreen: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Sometimes the butterflies just know what to sit on to make a more interesting picture :lol:

Bentley Wood 09-07-2023

After the success with an Emperor at Garston I thought that I might have similar luck at Bentley, especially as they’d been seen during the week before in between the wet/windy weather. As I was also hoping for a few Purple Hairstreaks I arrived early, possibly too early, and as I walked down the main drive the dew was just starting to evaporate off the leaves and fronds of the vegetation that lined the path. The butterflies had only just started waking with the Ringlets being the earliest of risers followed by the Meadow Browns. I stepped off of the path into a scallop of verge bordered by a wall of Bracken and looked at what was roosting on the fronds. More Ringlets and Meadow Browns but now also a few Hedgies and a Specklie.
09-07-2023 1.JPG
09-07-2023 2.JPG
I carried on down the main track witnessing the awakening of Large Skippers which started zipping out across the track and along the verges whilst overhead the Purple Hairstreaks crossed from Oak to Oak. At the crossroads I turned left so as to make my way to Donkey Copse. As the sun came out proper the butterflies suddenly appeared as swiftly as if someone had thrown a switch. Everywhere I looked there seemed to be Hedgies. A couple of Silver-washed appeared, some sitting nicely just long enough for me to make an approach and grab a few record shots before they were off at high speed, slicing across the tops of the vegetation. A few Whites made their way along a similar path to the Silver-washed but their slower speed made them appear somewhat lugubrious. However I kept coming back to the Hedgies – to be honest I couldn’t do anything but as they were literally everywhere I looked. Each stand of Bracken seemed to have its own ginger and brown guard on duty. There were so many I didn’t even start counting as I knew that I would ultimately lose count.
09-07-2023 3.JPG
09-07-2023 4.JPG
09-07-2023 5.JPG
09-07-2023 6.JPG
09-07-2023 7.JPG
09-07-2023 8.JPG
09-07-2023 9.JPG
09-07-2023 10.JPG
As the morning was pressing on and things were warming up nicely I started scanning not just the verges but also both the tree tops (for bat-like butterflies passing overhead) and the track ahead (for shark fin silhouettes). Whilst nothing Emperor wise presented itself I did notice several Red Admirals down on the track and there was also an immaculate Painted Lady that flew from the track to pause in a slightly cleared area from the verge. As I walked on I did my best to ignore the Hedgies that were still everywhere and I picked up even more Admirals and Silver-washed. As I rounded the corner at the bottom of the track I tried to keep up with looking in three directions at once and I received a shock as the trees that had lined the path had been cleared – opening up the verge by about 3 metres which would be good next year but not so much now. UP at the little cutting I stopped to scan intently as this was where I’d seen Emperors before and another while I waited and watched I got talking to a couple of people that I’d seen here before. Four Red Admirals and a Comma all came down to the deck and a White Admiral scythed by but there was still no sign of an Emperor? The temperature was spot on, the sun was shining and felt strong on my back – perhaps it was the breeze that was keeping them from coming out to play?
09-07-2023 11.JPG
09-07-2023 12.JPG
09-07-2023 13.JPG
Just on from the cutting the previously cleared area had now grown over into an impenetrable mass of bramble. The mass of dark, thorny green punctuated with delicate picks and whites was a haven for the Fritillaries and I could see 9 all at once whilst Ringlets, Large Skippers and Hedgies festooned the branches that tumbled down onto the track. Brilliant for butterflies but poor for photography as I couldn’t get to where the action was happening. The shaded path on from this has been good for Valesina in the past and just as the recollection entered my head one passed by deeper within the wood. I contemplated trying to follow it but I didn’t want to trample my way in for fear of both the damage it would do to the foliage and also my trousers. In consolation I took a few shots of a freshly emerged Peacock which shone out from the gloom.
09-07-2023 14.JPG
Round the next corner the path opened up, with the wider verges letting in much more light and so I started looking higher up and along the track as well as in the bushes at the edges of the path. I couldn’t believe how many Red Admirals there were flying and feeding along the length of the path, more than the Commas, Peacocks, Whites, Large Skippers and Frits all put together although the Hedgies still held first place for numbers as again they were ubiquitous. The Meadow Browns though were starting to give the Hedgies a run for their money, no doubt sensing that the scrubby hedge-esque habitat was drawing to a close to be replaced, just for a short distance, by more open grassland. As I walked past the final Oak tree at the end of the track a Purple Hairstreak passed overhead and then I started to feel slightly agro-phobic as the track opened out into the field in the middle of the wood. Now instead of Large Skippers and Hedgies there were Smessex and Marbled Whites and as I wandered down the stony sloping track little golden blurs passed by before me. On or two looked different and I was able to keep track of a couple of them and differentiate them into Small or Essex. One individual in particular stood out as it seemed to have a dark v shaped pattern across it wing. However when I got in close enough I could see that the mark was actually the ragged edge of its damaged hind wing.
09-07-2023 15.JPG
09-07-2023 16.JPG
09-07-2023 17.JPG
09-07-2023 18.JPG
09-07-2023 19.JPG
I turned round and started the long walk back, retracing my footsteps but not my photographs for the butterfly collection had started to change in its make up with the Whites in particular being more noticeable, possibly because there were more Large Whites and female Brimstones flying now. Back along the previously last and now first bit of track there were a few more H.Commas mixing in with the Red Admirals and the Green-veined Whites started showing up a bit more, mind you they had probably been there all along it was just that now they were actually stopping. The Peacock was still hanging around back in the shady spot and one the walk back I concentrated on alternating my viewing from the floor of the track ahead to the tree tops on either side of me but still there was no sign of an Emperor. It wasn’t just me as everyone I spoke too had failed to find one despite several hours of searching. By the time I was approaching the car park I reached the twenties for the count of Red Admirals down on the deck alone so it had been great for them but useful for His Nibbs.
09-07-2023 20.JPG
09-07-2023 21.JPG
09-07-2023 22.JPG
09-07-2023 23.JPG
At the car park after a quick rehydrate/recaffeinate I had a check around the tree tops just in case an Emperor was about but specking to a few other people that had spent some time waiting here nothing had been seen so I broke through the treeline and started checking out the path that ran along the back of the Eastern Clearing. Again not much seemed to be happening but the Vanessids put in a good showing with a H.Comma in the more verdant part of the verge and a Painted Lady and three Red Admirals all down on the deck. Unfortunately I couldn’t get to the Painted Lady as the Red Admirals were all down in a row along the track with the Painted Lady right at the far end so to reach it I’d end up spooking one or other of the Admirals which in turn would set off the others and the Painted Lady at the nd of the row. So instead I settled for walking on my knees (the best way I could describe it) so that I could get within shooting distance of the first the three Admirals.
09-07-2023 24.JPG
Wondering whether it was too windy or I’d left it for too late for the Emperors I drove onto another site and switched to wondering if I’d be visiting there too soon?
Seek him here and there
Like the Scarlet Pimpernel
But no sight of Him…

Have a goodun

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

You’ve got some really nice images of SWF there, Wurzel. Those alone are worth getting up early for.
trevor

Post by trevor »

I agree with Mark, especially your female SWF shots. :mrgreen:
I found female SWF's particularly difficult to find this year, though males no problem!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Essex :D I was chuffed with those shots but my abiding memory is actually of the Hedgies; they were everywhere :shock: 8)
Cheers Trevor :D Early morning was definitely the best time, on the walk back they'd 'warmed up' and so didn't stop for love nor money :wink:

Godshill 09-07-2023

The drive across from Bentley was harrowing at times – what with the single track road and the threat of livestock leaping out at you from the roadside bushes but I arrived intact besides their best efforts and it looked like I’d successfully raced the clouds too as over the area I was heading for there were a few ‘bubbles’ of nimbus here and there but the on the whole the sun shone down with beams of light shining across from where the cloud was retreating in the distance. So I set off across the Cricket Pitch and then as I started down the track a Peacock turned up to see me on my way. At the bottom I crossed over the Ford and as I wandered across the heather plenty of Meadow Browns and Small Heath played along the heather tops whilst the Hedgies made fleeting runs from one stand of Gorse to another. I scanned more intently allowing my gaze to sweep across the swathes of foliage but to no avail as I didn’t see a single Grayling.

I carried on, the ground beneath my feet rising with an ever steeper gradient until I found myself at the top of the rise. I worked across the top, the heather sloping down on my right whilst the small wood was on my left. A Red Admiral flashed past as I started the descent back down towards the old hotspot trackway. There more Hedgies here what with the Gorse being thicker and more ‘hedge’ like and as I strolled down I saw at last 14 of these as well as 3 Small Heaths and a single Meadow Brown which for a moment lifted my spirits as I thought it was a Grayling. However when it just kept on flapping on its way and didn’t glide with its wings held in a shallow V I knew it was an imposter. However I’d obviously gotten my eye in as ‘Boom’ the very next butterfly that went up did show the exact behaviour that I was hoping for. When it landed it momentarily disappeared from view too meaning it could only be one thing – the target species. I followed it for a bit and after getting a few shots where it wasn’t obstructed by moor grass of heather strands I left it to have fun and play in the sun.
09-07-2023a 1.JPG
09-07-2023a 2.JPG
09-07-2023a 3.JPG
I resumed my place back on track and carried on down the rise to the old hotspot path stopping on the way for a Golden-ringed Dragonfly. After this interlude it back to scanning and seeking. My search took me along the old hotspot track which runs parallel to the other book that converges further along the valley floor and also the smaller heather covered area on the other side of the main track but I didn’t find another Grayling despite my best efforts. I decided to head back to the area where I’d left the only Grayling of the day and so walked along a smaller trackway which rain parallel to the main path as it was sheltered by tall gorse. Along the way various browns appeared and a Large Skipper as well and just as I was about to leave the path and head out onto the heather fields I found a Small Copper. I took this as a good omen as I often see this species at the start of a Grayling trip.
09-07-2023a 4.JPG
As it flew off across the heather I spotted another small butterfly but this was a male Silver-studded Blue and it wasn’t stopping. I followed it anyway reasoning that it might go down and even if it didn’t I was heading that way anyway. One it had lost me I continued searching for Grayling, walking up and down so as to sweep the entirety of the field. My sweeping action paid off and I found another Grayling or rather it found me as it erupted from the ground under my boot and few off in typical fashion; strong power flaps followed by a veering glide. I watched where it went down and carefully stalked towards it. It was down in the grass/heather in a little cleared patch where the maturing heather had toppled over outwards. After a few shots it gave a flick of the eye spot and was off again this time landing on what I believe was once affectionately known as Horse Apples. They were old and dry and so I didn’t mind approaching for a few shots and their age meant that they didn’t look too bad in the photos. Whilst sat here, out in the open, totally exposed the butterfly contrarily seemed more relaxed and settled and even allowed me to walk around it so I could try for some backlit shots. Just as I was finishing up and Meadow Brown barged into view and sent the Grayling off. As I’d only ‘spooked/disturbed’ it twice I followed it to another one of the miniature clearings where it settled on an old twig, which again raised it off the ground and reduced the number of errant grass blades/heather spirgs which got in the way of the butterfly.
09-07-2023a 5.JPG
09-07-2023a 6.JPG
09-07-2023a 7.JPG
09-07-2023a 8.JPG
09-07-2023a 9.JPG
As I’d only found two Grayling despite covering most of the area at least twice I reasoned that they must be just emerging here so these two were probably the vanguard, scouting out the area in readiness or getting a firm grip on a territory so as to be ready as soon as the females arrived. With that in mind I did one final sweep of the ‘field’ finding a Peacock and a few a piece of the other Browns as well as a White flying far away but I didn’t find any more Grayling. In the final few strides across the heather, as I was almost at the track, a small brown butterfly went up from the heather. I backtracked and followed it into one of the small ditches that traverse the field. It was a female Silver-stud looking a little tired with all of her ‘studs’ worn away and plenty of fraying around her margins. As I clicked away another one flew in and this one was in a much better state of repair, studs gloriously catching the light. After this I made for home as I’d been out of the house for most of the day and there was a slim chance that I might be able to recoup or salvage a few Brownie points! However I had to stop on the way to check out the Apian Conurbation about half way up the main track. There were a couple of different species of burrowing bee/wasp as well as a Jewel Wasp – a different species than I’d seen before Hedychrum niemelai? A fitting way to finish the visit with a flourish.
09-07-2023a 10.JPG
09-07-2023a 11.JPG
09-07-2023a 12.JPG
09-07-2023a 13.JPG
09-07-2023a 14.JPG
09-07-2023a 15.JPG
09-07-2023a 16.JPG
09-07-2023a 17.JPG
Seek him here and there
Like the Scarlet Pimpernel
But get a Grayling :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Just catching up a wee bit, Wurzel... :) Those female SWF are terrific (as Trevor commented I think, they are much trickier than the males), as are the Graylings and that brightly-studded female SSB. :) However, from all of that my favourite is the jewel wasp - extraordinary colours, like something coloured in by an over-enthusiastic child! :)

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Enjoyed your Grayling shots! Now you see them, now you don't.
The times I've taken a close up shot and then thought it's gone,
but no it's still there blending in with the rabbit scrape!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D Those Jewel Wasps are a lovely little bonus on the way back from the Graylings :wink: 8)
Cheers Trevor :D Either that or its flown and landed behind you or dropped vertically to land right next to your boot yet you're scanning far ahead into the distance :roll: :lol:

Back to Corfu...

Thursday 06-04-2023

The day started cloudy and overcast with only the odd patch of blue sky. On the drive down the mountainside for breakfast a black and white bird flashed across the road and perched on the edge of someone’s driveway. It was my first ever Pied Wheatear! 8) Once back there was a brief bright spell and a quick trip to the Terrace produced an EOT and a Cloudy but the sky looked ominous and as I sat down with my coffee back at home I could see the cloud tumbling down the mountain bringing a sheet of rain with it. So I lunched and then packed a rucsac just in case the forecast held true and then I waited…

Eventually the sun came out and everything looked fresh and clean with the odd sparkle as the sun refracted through the small beads of water. As I’d been so well prepared I was out and up the hill before the butterflies had had a chance to wake up/come out of hiding and so when I looked down into the Terrace it seemed empty. The Cutting was quiet as well with only a brace of Walls and an errant EOT. Up further still, past the Dog House, there was the same Green-veined White as before. As I approached the final ninety degree corner something small and brown caught my eye as it jinked, very unmoth-like among the usual, Heath-like moths. I watched as it landed and it became a Green Hairstreak and at the corner itself I watched as an actual Orange-tip patrolled powerfully along the path whilst the Large Whites fluttered fitfully up and down the sheer bank in the distance. A Red Admiral stopped briefly up near one of the Prickly Pears and I watched a failed attempt at courtship by an EOT. This was an added bonus as now I had shots of both male and female.
06-04-2023 1.JPG
06-04-2023 2.JPG
06-04-2023 3.JPG
06-04-2023 4.JPG
06-04-2023 5.JPG
06-04-2023 6.JPG
06-04-2023 8.JPG
06-04-2023 9.JPG
06-04-2023 11.JPG
I struggled on upwards with the sun periodically dipping behind the cloud and things went very quiet past the ‘Flower Triangle’ and all the way up the straight bit of road until I turned right at the ‘Y’. Then a male Orange-tip (of the Western variety?) appeared as of in greeting and beckoned me on along the much more gently sloping path. A possible Southern Small White landed and as I walked on there were many Walls which would either detach themselves from the side of the mountain or buzz up from under my feet. I carried on walking and reached a lush green path that ran gently down across the one side of the V of the valley. Reasoning that where there’s flowers there might be butterflies I trotted happily down, my boots getting wetter with each step.
06-04-2023 12.JPG
06-04-2023 13.JPG
06-04-2023 14.JPG
My sodden footwear was soon forgotten for down on the deck was a totally new yet surprisingly familiar sight. It was a butterfly that I’d coveted for a while. The two tone brown and orange, the unusual square cut wings and the ‘snout’ – my first Nettle Tree butterfly. It was exceedingly twitchy and was gone after only a few shots but luckily it sat, nestled in some of the foliage. I couldn’t see the whole butterfly but I didn’t mind in the slightest.
06-04-2023 15.JPG
06-04-2023 16.JPG
06-04-2023 17.JPG
Once it disappeared again I worked my way to the bottom of the track without a single other butterfly. This green track ended in a small copse with a large metal water tank so I retraced my steps and carried on along the mountain pass with only a few more Walls for company until I reached the next bend from where I could look down into the neighbouring valley. Then around I turned and clumped back. It was much quicker on the return as I was assisted by gravity plus there were scant few butterflies – the occasional Wall or White, both of which would infuriatingly dive down the side of the mountain when I made the slightest approach. Back near the ‘Y’ I found a Mallow Skipper on the daisy-like flowers and the Southern Small White and male OT were still patrolling and doing their best to hold territories.
06-04-2023 18.JPG
06-04-2023 19.JPG
06-04-2023 20.JPG
06-04-2023 21.JPG
Feeling a little tired I started back down and as the sun had started hiding behind the clouds and the wind had picked up I managed to make it almost to the cutting before bumping into my wife and Lottie and so despite my fatigue I wandered back up to the last of the Villas before the grand return. When we reached the Cutting again it was looking a little more butterfly filled with EOTs, Walls and Large Whites along with a few Cleopatras on the way. To be honest the Nettle Tree was still on my mind and I was left wondering if I’d be able to get back up the mountain once more?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Some great stuff from your Corfiot holiday again, Wurzel. :) Now you know what a Southern Small White looks like in the flesh! :mrgreen: for all the non-UK species, and especially the Nettle-tree butterfly. That male Orange Tip is unusual, almost lacking its forewing spot - or were they all like that over there?

It does look beautifully lush, something I remember from early May holidays over there many moons ago. Still, I think I read somewhere that Corfu has twice the annual rainfall that we get here near London... :)

Cheers,

Dave
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Yes - really enjoying the holiday diary also Wurzel. Not a huge butterfly list in spring, but I often find a few really special species preferable to the overwhelming numbers you might encounter later in the year. I need to do some more spring trips! Great stuff.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D Yeah I was pleased to finally catch-up with a Southern Small White and it turned out to really be a case of "when you see one you'll know" :D I was wondering about that Orange-tip as well - I only saw a couple of 'normal' OTs and they also had reduced spotting but the one female I saw had massive spots so I don't know if it was a 'thing' :? :)
Cheers Benjamin :D It was great going earlier in the year but it's riskier as the weather wasn't that great at times; it was warmer back home for 5 days of out trip :shock: Mind with risk comes reward... :wink: :D

Martin Down 16-07-2023

It was one of those bright and breezy days, but I felt like I needed to visit Martin Down so that I could pick up some Chalkhills. As I drove over, Paul Di’Anno belting out ‘Murders in the Rue Morgue’, I reasoned that the trick on this visit would be to find the sheltered spots, those little nooks and crannies on the leeward side of various hedges of scrub as on a blustery day they would like little oases of calm. To this end I turned off the dual carriage way and parked over at the Sillen’s Lane end. As I drove up the much improved track I counted 2 Red Admirals and 4 UFWs all taking advantage of the shelter offered by the closely knit avenue of trees and scrubs. From the car park I set off down the main path veering to the left in the more exposed spots and then back to the right where the scrub on my left was taller/thicker. Along the way I picked up a few Meadow Browns, 3 Hedgies and singletons of Peacock and Red Admiral and a few more Whites away in the distance.
16-07-2023 1.JPG
When I reached the little triangle of scrub near the gateway I paused and looked about. As I’d reasoned, being sheltered from the wind on both sides by the tall hedge it was proving to be a regular haven for the butterflies. Once I’d revelled in the sight for a moment or two I got to seeking out and counting. Immediately obvious were the two H.Commas and a Red Admiral as well as a DGF which popped in for a short time. A Holly Blue flitted across the tops of the hedge disturbing the occasional Hedgie from its perch. Lower down on the hedge a few Ringlets as well as a Green-veined White, Specklie and even lower than this a collection of Smessex Skippers. A few paces over I found 4 Red Admirals, a Large White and lower to the ground a Small Blue while 7 UFWs spaced themselves out along the hedge. Quite an impressive range of species, even more impressive when you consider that the section of hedge was only a couple of metres long and the triangle 6 paces across at the widest point.
16-07-2023 2.JPG
16-07-2023 3.JPG
16-07-2023 4.JPG
16-07-2023 5.JPG
16-07-2023 6.JPG
16-07-2023 7.JPG
I carried on along the track with more whites flying. There was the occasional group of Smessex Skippers nestled down in the odd clump of long grass. In the first group of 4 I found an Essex and in the next 2 were Essex and one was a Small. This wandering had brought me to the fields behind the Greenstreak hot spot. The open areas held more butterflies, generally on the leeward side of the stands of Hawthorn or along the edges of the walls of Gorse. The odd Marbled White did its best to battle against the breeze whilst a DGF, despite its tired start made it look easy. Slightly further up the rise I located a further four of the ginger beasties, all a bit frayed around the edges but still with ‘plenty left under the hood’ as they zipped about oblivious to the wind. As I moved on the stands of Hawthorn started growing closer and closer together and the butterflies decreased in size almost as if mirroring the decline of the vegetation. Where there had been DGFs now there was a Common Blue, 2 Small Coppers and 3 Brown Argus.
16-07-2023 8.JPG
16-07-2023 9.JPG
16-07-2023 10.JPG
16-07-2023 11.JPG
16-07-2023 12.JPG
As I worked up towards the little gap in the hedge, the Greenstreak spot itself, a WPC waved me on through and once I’d entangled myself from the briars that had sprung up during the summer I spotted a sapphire shining out from the straw. It was my first Chalkhill Blue of the year and it was a stunner! Wonderfully intact white margins shone out like beacons and contrasted nicely with the dark wing margins which faded into an almost white sky blue colour on the upper surface of the wings.
16-07-2023 13.JPG
16-07-2023 14.JPG
16-07-2023 15.JPG
16-07-2023 16.JPG
As is often the way; once you found one you start seeing more and so with this in mind I tore myself away and set off across the Terraces and up the Dyke to the Half-way Point and beyond. On the journey I kept my eyes open and generally stuck to the little path that runs to closer to the Dyke than the main track. Occasionally however I’d stop to watch something in particular and venture a little way from the path. On the first occasion it was for a DGF which settled down in the grass during a slightly clouded over 5 minutes. As the sun came back out it warmed up and then was gone. The next break in my ‘hike along the Dyke’ was for a brace of Small Whites that were sitting out the breeze at the bottom of the Dyke. And the final one came a few minutes later, again for a White, this time a male Large. It was very fresh and the black tips almost gleamed against the blinding white uppers. I sometimes wonder if the ‘large’ part of the name comes not in relation to its comparative size but because it is ‘largely white’? There had been various other bits an bobs along the way of course; a further 4 DGFs, a female Large White, numerous Brown Argus continuing to have a tremendous year by the look of it, Peacock and at least 5 Chalkhills, but the initial list of butterflies were the highlights.
16-07-2023 18.JPG
16-07-2023 19.JPG
16-07-2023 20.JPG
Just before the halfway point I paused as a microcosm of the Dyke lay before me. I walked back and forth peering this way and that and pointing my lens at anything and everything. There was a nice female Large White which was proving to be much more flighty than the male and then hanging around a small patch of Knapweeds a collection of Blues. I tried for some shots but photography was proving difficult due to the breeze and also the Brown Argus from the group. It took it upon himself to attack anything that settled for more than half a second. In the end I worked out a ‘get round’ which relied on the butterflies themselves to work out their own ‘get round’. They seemed to have hit upon the idea that when the Brown Argus was hassling another butterfly it wasn’t hassling them so they took the opportunity to have a feed. I in turn took this as the opportunity to get my shots. Things worked out well and I was also able to capture the Brown Argus as it was probably so exhausted from all its argy bargy and was in desperate need of refuelling. I was just making off when I was stopped in my tracks by something I don’t see a lot of at Martin Down – a Small Tort.
16-07-2023 21.JPG
16-07-2023 22.JPG
16-07-2023 23.JPG
16-07-2023 24.JPG
16-07-2023 25.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Martin Down 16-07-2023 Part 2

As I’d reached the half-way point I thought I’d better have a little look around and so to this end I followed the little track to the end when it opened out across the rest of the reserve, cutting diagonally across to the Tunnel Track that ultimately leads back to Sillen’s Lane car park. On the corner where the scrub ended there were a few butterflies hanging around on the large, towering Bramble bush. I counted 2 Red Admirals, a Small White, H.Comma and a second Small Tortoiseshell but then I was blown round the corner as the track had funnelled the breeze along its length. Round the corner the scrubby thicket made a triangle shape with its point settling at the little path though from the Dyke and so I wandered along here to get back on track, examining the little scallops carved out of the thicket on the way. These acted like little harbours, points of refuge for the butterflies to go about their business without the wind tearing them away ad carrying them off over the sea of grass. The first one held a Red Admiral that had been in the wars, almost ripped to bits it was whilst the second scallop was bigger and so held a larger range of species. In this one little patch there were 4 Hedgies, arranged across the vegetation a little like the flying ducks on the wall in a Coronation Street set, as well as a Meadow Brown and a Small Blue. There was also a Small Copper but that hid away until I turned my attention to a different Small Copper at the very edge of the scallop on the track. As I moved in to get my shots the other one came out of hiding and buzzed it, eventually replacing it on the path.
16-07-2023 26.JPG
16-07-2023 27.JPG
16-07-2023 28.JPG
16-07-2023 29.JPG
16-07-2023 30.JPG
Having made my way back to the side of the Dyke I set off up its length once again heading towards the Butts. I quickly fell back into the pattern of waling, scanning and stopping occasionally when something a little different caught my eye. I also tried to record all that I saw, but this meant that I was spending an inordinate amount of time staring into my notebook. Still the butterflies added up with Small Heath, Chalkhills, Smessex Skippers, a female Brimstone, 5-6 Whites as well as a brace of Peacocks and another DGF. Once at the Butts I ambled across the thin turf behind the butts and a couple of Chalkhills played nicely for me. The first caught the light magnificently, glittering with a metallic lustre whilst the second led me round to the other side and the sheltered spot by one of the ‘steps’ up the Butt. There were Hedgies galore here as well as the odd Marbled White and Meadow Brown, Ringlets, Smessex and a Small, Green-veined and Large White all sitting in a row. On the other side of the narrow track a Chalkhill and a Small Copper sat preferring the taller grasses to the thicker, pricklier Bramble hedge. It felt like all sitting in tight bunches was de rigueur today as that was how I was finding the majority of the butterflies. I walked to the next spot without seeing another butterfly and then when I walked into the sheltered little spot off of the path all of a sudden there they all were, all sitting within spitting distance of each other. It couldn’t have been that they were sheltering form the wind as they were on the leeward side and so they’d have been very unlucky to have been blustered by the slightest of breathes of air as the hedge was almost solid in it construction. Whatever the reason I didn’t mind as it made getting my shots so much easier. I could line one up and then be onto the next one by just moving the lens slightly to one side and refocusing. There was a slightly different make up here with a Red Admiral, H.Comma, a brace of whites and two Small Coppers. The second of these was a very swarthy individual which possibly got a little overdone whilst in the chrysalis?
16-07-2023 31.JPG
16-07-2023 32.JPG
16-07-2023 33.JPG
16-07-2023 34.JPG
16-07-2023 36.JPG
16-07-2023 37.JPG
16-07-2023 38.JPG
16-07-2023 39.JPG
From here I worked my way back across to the Dyke and started my way back down the gently sloping gradient to the Hotspot and eventually home. The number of Peacocks had risen and now I saw a maximum of three at once and there was also another dusky butterfly, this time it was a female DGF which had spent time in a chrysalis that was a little too hot. She was a very sultry looking butterfly, but also very temperamental and the slightest thing set her off, skimming across the top of the Dyke and disappearing over the other side. I spent a little time at the Halfway spot picking up the usual stuff before moving on down along the Dyke. The wind had picked up slightly now and the breezes were lasting longer, with much less settled time between gusts so rather than struggling in the wind I followed the main track so as to be on the leeward side as much as possible. This was partly as this would be where most of the butterflies would be but also because I’d followed a Holly Blue from the Halfway point and this was where it headed and eventually settled, albeit a bit out of range for my lens. I picked up some good stuff in the more sheltered accommodation adding another DGF and Small Blue almost immediately and then as I carried on walking noting 3 more Small Blues, Small Copper, Common Blue, several Chalkhills, a Small Tort, a Peacock and a very yellow Green-veined White. This initially made me stop and stare but alas it was the wrong kind of yellow, more lemon than mustard.
16-07-2023 40.JPG
16-07-2023 41.JPG
16-07-2023 42.JPG
16-07-2023 43.JPG
Once back at the Hotspot I kept on down and then up out of the Hollow before checking out the area where several of the various tracks converge. Among the vanessids and Whites there were some great looking Brown Argus (3 in one view) as well as 4 Small Blues all in one view. There must have been more but their diminutive size and their love of the taller and bushy tussocks of grass meant that finding them would be like looking for a butterfly shaped needle in a haystack – almost literally.
16-07-2023 44.JPG
16-07-2023 45.JPG
16-07-2023 46.JPG
16-07-2023 47.JPG
16-07-2023 48.JPG
16-07-2023 49.JPG
16-07-2023 50.JPG
I was on the homeward stretch now and as always I found a little more spring in my step so before I knew it I was back at the triangle where it had begun a few hours earlier. The hedge itself seemed even more productive now as the Brimstones had finally woken up and their obvious colour make the hedge appear busier even if it wasn’t as they were so noticeable. A few of the Red Admirals had dispersed as now there were only 3, the brace of H.Commas had done a Spice Girls (2 became 1) but the others were fairly well represented – Large White, Small White, Green-veined White, at least 5 Brimstones (with more flying over the grass all about), Holly Blues, a solitary DGF, the odd Ringlet, a Small Copper and numerous Hedgies. When I eventually tore myself away and made it back to the car a Painted Lady and succeeded in their last ditch attempt to get onto the days tally. I‘d come wondering if the wind would be detrimental but actually it made things easier –who knew?
16-07-2023 51.JPG
Green hills forever
Sapphires twinkling in the turf
The Chalkhills are here

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

You must be close to the record for the number of species seen in a day!
A great day is when you don't know where to point the camera next.

A great trip report.
Trevor.
millerd

Post by millerd »

That female DGF is a stunner, Wurzel, as is the dusky Small Copper. :mrgreen: It's along while since I've visited Martin Down in the middle of the summer - I'd forgotten that it's just as impressive at generating variety and numbers as it is in the spring. :) :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, great to see all your shots :D I'm only seeing the Whites now here ,the Hollies have gone :( even though the weather is good at present only the Whites seem to be having a great time :D
I keep looking for the Cloudies walked along the beech etc, nothing, next year will be better in Kent hopefullyGoldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”