Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Katrina

Post by millerd »

A nice trio of photos, Katrina - very restful poses, especially considering how manic the Skippers can be in bright sunshine! :) I also missed your Knepp Brown Hairstreaks earlier and the Purple one too - excellent shots, and in particular the open-winged female. :mrgreen: :)

Dave

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I particularly like the second shot, the way the wings are held gives it a mores striped than spotted appearance :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Millerd. They certainly can be manic, I had to wait until early evening to get one resting!
Thanks Wurzel I see what you mean about the stripes!

Katrina

Bonus photo

Post by Katrina »

Bonus photo
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2139.jpeg

trevor

Post by trevor »

Lovely bonus photo, Katrina. I have yet to catch up with the Silver spots, this season.
Can't be everywhere at once !.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Trevor, sometimes it would be good to have more time to see go to more sites in a week

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

That's a lovely shot of a SSS Katrina, I love how the light catches it's head :D Goldie :D

Katrina

Steyning

Post by Katrina »

I went to Steyning today with a friend who had never seen a Brown Hairstreak and wanted to. Almost immediately I saw one flying and my friend found where it landed. Shortly followed by one a gentleman from Kent found. Also found were some caterpillars, I would be grateful if anyone could identify. We later found three more. Also seen were Adonis Blues, Common Blues, Small Heaths, Commas, Clouded Yellows , Meadow Browns and Small Coppers. Prior to that we had spent 30 mins at Southwick with no luck.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_213f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_213b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2145.jpeg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Katrina

I'd hazard a guess that they are the larva of the Buff-tip moth. You've probably noticed I'm not great at moth ID's but think I've seen these cats before.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Much appreciated Pauline ! :D

David M

Re: Steyning

Post by David M »

Katrina wrote:I went to Steyning today with a friend who had never seen a Brown Hairstreak and wanted to....
I've been in similar situations and it is an absolute joy after spending a few minutes observing when this precious quarry descends and reveals itself to a new audience.

I hope your friend returned home imbued with the same degree of satisfaction that we hardened enthusiasts enjoy.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots as usual Katrina :D Sounds like another convert to butterflying has been initiated :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks David and Wurzel. I don't think their enthusiasm is as big as mine but they were talking about incorporating a return trip with a spot of butterflying with a longer walk another time.

Katrina

Lullington Heath

Post by Katrina »

I took a walk with my friend today from Seven Sisters Country Park to Lullington Heath and back. We saw Meadow Browns, Small Heaths, Speckled Woods, Small Coppers, Common Blues, Commas, Red Admirals, a single Brimstone and some Whites. Back at the Seven Sisters Country Park there was a Hummingbird Hawk Moth by the visitor centre. Also seen were numerous dragonflies.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2158.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2159.jpeg
DSC08399.jpg

Katrina

Castle Hill

Post by Katrina »

I went to Castle Hill for the first time today with a friend. I was pleased to find some fresh butterflies. Conditions were terrible for photography with very active butterflies and windy conditions. We saw Small Coppers approx 8, Chalk Hill Blues and Adonis Blues in the hundreds, some Common Blues, some whites, many Small Heaths and Meadow Browns one Clouded Yellow which looked particularly orange in flight which we got close enough to clearly id but wouldn't stop for a photo, one Wall, one fresh Green-veined white some Silver-Y moths and one Blood-vein moth. One Chalk hill Blue female seemed to have particularly prominent white spots on its wings.
Can someone identify the mating whites for me . I am thinking Small Whites but cant make up my mind.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2162.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2163.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2160.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_215c.jpeg
Last edited by Katrina on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Small Whites Katrina :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks bugboy!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Yep Small Whites Katrina, you did pretty well for shots despite the windy weather :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Wurzel, eas a case of keep snapping and hope for the best!

Katrina

Queries from Castle Hill

Post by Katrina »

This morning I went to Castle Hill again. I saw Common, Adonis and Chalk Hill Blues, Small Heaths, Meadow Browns, Speckled Woods, Whites, about 5 Small Coppers and a single Clouded Yellow. Amongst these I found some blue eggs and caterpillars / larvae. Does anyone know what they are? I also. found a butterfly with a stripe of black instead of spots - can anyone identify the species? Will post prettier pictures later.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_216f.jpeg
DSC08701.JPG
fullsizeoutput_216e.jpeg

Return to “Personal Diaries”