Jack Harrison

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Jack Harrison

Re: Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

No fiddle on the colour. It was very newly emerged from Mull stock. I had assumed that was why it had the yellowish tinge.

Here is an unprocessed cropped but not resized part of the original.
P1280221.jpg
I do of course have connections with Ireland but haven't been there this year. Indeed, I have never been to Ireland during any Orange Tip season so have never seen them there. So no possibility of confusing where I took that photo.

Jack

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks Jack - that still looks like a yellow flush extending across most of the hindwing to me.

I'll make a point of looking at the OT specimens in the OUMNH and BMNH the next time I visit (which will have to wait for this season to finish; I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that I need to be in at least 5 places at once right now!).

Cheers,

- Pete

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I looked up the Irish race of OT and I have to say my example does look remarkably similar. I bred another OT female but foolishly released that without looking closely or photographing.

I have heard that OT colonised Mull only relatively recently and it certainly isn't abundant on Mull. The closest point in Ireland isn't all that far away. I note that Isle of Man has the Irish race so maybe so in some parts of the western Scotland and the Isles also have that race. Kintyre and Islay are even closer to Ireland than is Mull. Any lepidopterists live there?

Jack

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Jack will be moving house on 10th July to near Nairn, Highland.

No doubt it will take some while before internet is up and running – and it is likely to be slow even then in the rural location where I will be living.

So for a period from around 7th July you will not be subjected to my puerile humour.

BUT I WILL BE BACK.

Jack

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Good luck with the move, Jack. I don't know about your puerile humour but we will certainly miss the atmospheric images.

I look forward to your return.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Look forward to seeing some photos of Nairn, and its butterflies, when you move in Jack.
Chris

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Jack

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

What has motivated your desire to move to Nairn, Jack ? Do you not seek more temperate climes for retirement ?
Having said that, it should hit 33°C in Marseilles this week end, and will not necessarily be très agréable, with taxi driver strikes, traffic bottle necks, hot sweaty nights and mosquitos. :roll:
All things considered, I may move up to Nairn :D
Chris

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

What has motivated your desire to move to Nairn, Jack ?
Many things but the main one is the appalling service over the past 12 months by the ferry company. Apparently after some litigation by a passenger, in the past year the company has become very timid about sailing in more than the slightest breeze: amber alerts have almost become the norm. At my age, I have (sadly) more and more need of hospitals visits, eg recent cataract operation. The uncertainty - will it sail or won't it? - has become too much. When I moved to Mull in 2012, I was of course aware of the potential problems. But these have become ridiculous lately.

It's an opportunity to "downsize" to a bungalow (better for the arthritic knees) and release some cash. New camera perhaps?

Jack

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Good luck with the move, I'll miss your humour whilst you're away :wink:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Your wisdom will pay off, Jack :D
Chris

David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote: Apparently after some litigation by a passenger, in the past year the company has become very timid about sailing in more than the slightest breeze: amber alerts have almost become the norm.
This country has gone soft.

We have no backbone anymore.

God help us if we need to defend ourselves again. We'd likely be beaten by the Liechtenstein army!

Good luck with your house move, Jack. At least your annual rainfall quotient should fall dramatically!

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

It was suggested (I think in jest) elsewhere on ukb that I should write my own book. Maybe one day I will – you never know.

Meanwhile I am in the process of sorting out the house move. Some strange things have happened which have amused (or frustrated) me so I will share.

The property I am selling has oil fired heating. I didn’t want to appear penny pinching by leaving behind no more than a few dregs of oil so I asked the suppliers for a token 100 litres. I subsequently got a phone call citing “Health & Safety”(?) saying that the minimum order has to be 500 litres. Obviously I won’t be giving the new owner some £250 of free oil so sadly I will seem to be penny pinching. But I am leaving the light bulbs behind.

We arranged Royal Mail forwarding in case we have missed informing some people. My wife has retained her former name but because there are two names on the mail forwarding, we have to pay double. That would mean that a couple living together (unmarried as is the modern trend) would be discriminated against.

Electricity stopping and starting in new place (meter readings) was interesting. There was an inquisition to establish my identity (including date of birth). I was then asked to spare 20 minutes to set up the new tariff; I declined saying I was happy with the existing one. On querying how to give the final meter reading, I was asked to send a text. I pointed out my date of birth and the young lady accepted that many of us oldies aren’t always competent with text messaging (for a start, the screen is too small to read). She did see the irony. So it’s back to snail mail. Incidentally, the meter is situated high up on a wall and cannot be read from floor level. Climbing a ladder or onto a chair is not really ideal for a 76 year old. My solution: use a camera to take a photo of the meter.

Internet/telephone transfer seemed to be fairly straightforward once I had got through the queue and listening to the repetitive message “Provider 4X is enjoying considerable success....”. So why don’t they employ more staff? But I’m still awaiting the allocation of my new telephone number, something that others want to know.

Value of new property. According the insurers, I am moving into a £1 million bungalow. If only :!: It seems that it is administratively cheaper to simply lump all properties up to a million in the same price band. I can actually see some logic of that.

I gave up after some 20 minutes queuing on the phone (can’t remember who it was to) after repeatedly being told in a recorded message: “We thank you for your continued patience. We aim to give the best possible service to our customers.”( :?: )

Finally: one on-line form needed updating with the new details - it already had my date of birth. I was invited to edit the date when I had been born :roll:

Jack

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

On form, as ever, Jack :)

Good luck with the move.

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Jack Harrison wrote: But I am leaving the light bulbs behind.
So the newcomers will think you are wantonly profligate :lol:

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Nothing whatsoever to do with butterflies but worth sharing.

A new safety announcement on the ferry today had me (and other passengers) in stitches.

“.....in the event of the ship sinking.....”

Jack

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Jack Harrison wrote:“.....in the event of the ship sinking.....”
..... passengers should note that prolonged immersion in water may cause drowning."

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Holding message from wifi in hotel.

No internet at home yet. Butterflies new garden Tortoiseshell, Meadow Brown and Ringlet. GV White nearby.

Jack

David M

Post by David M »

Good to see you back, Jack.

Haven't you got Small Blue colonies in the vicinity of your new abode?

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Still no internet new home - awaiting satellites broadband.

Some butterfly news. Findhorn Dunes near Kinloss on Sunday. Very strong colonies Grayling and Common Blue. Also Meadow Brown and Small Heath.

Send from cafe in Nairn cove third coffee.

Jack

Return to “Personal Diaries”