Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Garston Wood 10-07-2022
The girls were on a baking mission for WI so my dad and I left them up to eyeballs in flour and went for a stroll around Garston. Apparently there had been a few Emperors up high around the car park and even one or two down low and visiting peoples cars and sure enough when we arrived there were a few people with their deck chairs out and waiting for an audience with His Nibbs. After all of my efforts at Bentley however I’d had a belly full of His Nibbs and instead we headed up the main track. There were Ringlets, Meadow Browns all over the place doing their best to catch our eye and imitate other species. Flying among the Browns like a breath of fresh air were the occasional Silver-washed Fritillary. We took then took the fork off to the right into the plantation and strolled on.

At the first clearing we counted at least 3 Silver-washed but counting the Meadow Browns and Ringlets was nigh on impossible. The Marbled Whites were easier as not only were there fewer of them but they were also much more obvious floating across the greenery whilst the Skippers buzzed about like slightly idle bees. At the second clearing there were the same set of species again and we pressed on in the repressive heat. On the way to the final clearing at the top of the rise we lifted our heads to finish the climb and were greeted by a flash by Emperor up high; unfortunately it remained aloft and buried itself deep in the foliage and disappeared back into the woodwork. At the top clearing we added a few other species to the tally as some of the Smessex I was able to convert into Smalls, a few Hedgies played around up in the taller shrubs a trio of Whites passed by and each stopped just long enough for an ID (2 Small and a single Large) and finally a Purple Hairstreak jinked about an Oak glinting silver as it caught the sunlight at just the right angle.
10-07-2022 1.JPG
10-07-2022 2.JPG
10-07-2022 3.JPG
From here we joined the main track and followed our usual route in reverse down towards the Butterfly Enclosure passing a Peacock along the way and with Silver-washed Frits gliding by fairly frequently. At one of the intersections we paused to enjoy the show put on for us as 6 or so Silver-washed whizzed about in this small area. They’d feed for as long as they were able, which wasn’t long because another would bomb in and either chase off its rival or chase a potential mate. In all the hurly burly getting shots was really tricky. I tried just waiting by a particular Bramble but the butterflies seemed to sense that I wasn’t in fact part of the scenery and so avoided the bush I was next too. A few Brimstones also flew so it looked a little like a citrus feast what with the oranges, lemons and limes. The grand finale came when a Valesina glided along the margins between the Brambles and the trees, sticking to the shade where possible and then powerfully flying when exposed to the sun. It didn’t matter that my photos were few in number as the images and ‘video’ was emblazoned on my memory. What a show!
10-07-2022 4.JPG
10-07-2022 5.JPG
10-07-2022 6.JPG
We carried on along the path noting a Small White and a fly-by White Admiral on the way, the latter almost tearing the sky to shreds as it sliced its way through the blue. At the Enclosure we about turned and walked back the way we’d come, more slowly now not because of the butterflies but because we were now going uphill and we were starting to feel the heat. On the way back there were more of the same minus the Valesina but this is often the way with them, they appear out of nowhere and then disappear almost as promptly. We turned right and started back down the main track to the car park. The slight shade offered by the tall Oaks slowed the butterflies slightly and they stopped slightly more frequently even the Silver-washed Frits which again were flying in good numbers. Another Valesina didn’t show but a Purple Hairstreak did brave the heat, fluttering across the track from one treetop to another. Once back at the car park we took another turn around the Plantation but only added another Specklie to the list as it was now getting to be too hot and too sunny for the butterflies it seemed.
10-07-2022 7.JPG
10-07-2022 8.JPG
10-07-2022 9.JPG
10-07-2022 10.JPG
10-07-2022 11.JPG
Another pleasant Garston Sunday
Silver-washed flitting everywhere
Purple Emperor sitting in the shade
And a Valesina ghosting by

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

That's a great shot of the Brimstone Wurzel, :mrgreen: best I've seen :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie you're too kind :D That Brimstone was pulling a Princess Di - all back lit and no petticoat! :shock: :lol:

February 2023

This is the month when things could start to rolling...well the butterflies flying that is :D
02 Feb 23.jpg
Havea goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely calendar once again Wurzel, I got going yesterday and mowed the lawn :D the grass was so high and bit damp but I managed it, I want to get started and see what's coming through, can't wait, they've asked me what I want for my birthday, I've told them a Wheel Barrow :lol: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Good to hear the gardening is going well. Having looked back at the large number of shots I've got with blades of grass obscuring the butterfly I think I might ask for a pair of secateurs (with holster) for my birthday this year :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Perham Down 12-07-2022

Having seen on the Butterfly Conservation website that ‘all of the summer species had been recorded’ I decided to take a chance and stop-off at Perham Down on the way home. I was hoping for a Silver-spot and the odd Chalkhill and so I shifted my vision down a gear from hulking great Silver-washed and Emperors and turned the speed up in preparation for golden blurs zipping across the flower tops.
Once was parked a cut across the fields and started to gird my loins ready for the steep climb up to the top of the Down. On the way the heat started to feel a little oppressive and the butterflies that were out nipped about at breakneck speeds. There were plenty of golden blurs but they were more on the orange end of the golden spectrum and as they were so fast moving remained as Smessex. There were also Marbled Whites and Meadow Browns and a single Small Copper stood out like a sore thumb against the straw background. As everything was so solar charged I quickly reached the vegetated bit of springy turf at the bottom of the chalk ‘scar’ that runs up the side of the Down in a series of giants’ steps. Again there were the Browns and the golden Skippers but some of these actually sat still so I could started to differentiate the ‘Sm…’ from the ‘…essex’ and in the corner staying far back and out of the way sat a H.Comma.
12-07-2022 1.JPG
12-07-2022 2.JPG
12-07-2022 3.JPG
With burning thighs and acting like a tired seagull (a Puffin) I reached the top of the Down and stood back stretching the Lactic acid out of my joints when the sky was ripped asunder and a group of incognito Red Arrows shot past. Much closer to terra firma and also much more sedate by comparison but still moving at breakneck speed were several DGFs which proceeded to lead me on a merry dance along the gently sloping top of the Down. Following various individuals unsuccessfully I end up at the end of the Down at the Silver-spot hotspot where I gave up on that particular species and set to quartering the breaks in the hawthorn checking all the likely looking flowers on the way. I was joined on my meanderings by a Painted Lady and a Peacock, Hedgies hung out, quite appropriately, on the Hedge and a single Common Blue popped up but no Chalkhills nor Silver-spots could I find? I followed the track down the short distance to the bottom of the hill and explored out on the flatter open grasses at the foot of the Down. Again the was a distinct lack of both of my target species but a Small Copper cheered me as did a brace of H.Commas that were taking it in turns to hold a territorial spot on one side of the hedge. They would fly at each other, spiral up and then the vanquished would depart and the victor would sit upon its throne. A matter of minutes later the vanquished return for a rematch.
12-07-2022 4.JPG
12-07-2022 5.JPG
12-07-2022 6.JPG
12-07-2022 8.JPG
12-07-2022 9.JPG
Despite covering many, many miles bimbling about at the Hotspot no Silver-spots or Chalkhills revealed themselves and so somewhat footsore and weary from a combination of already having done a days’ work and the incessant heat I started back towards home. The DGFs I spotted on the way didn’t help improve matters as they continued flying like there was no tomorrow. I managed a few grab shots despite plenty of near successful stalks. I say ‘near successful’ as they butterfly would sit still and take nectar for just long enough for me to get into position and then it would be off. I’d watch if for a minute or so and it would land again further away so I’d have to stalk in and just as the autofocus would lock on it would be off again. In the end my fatigue got the better of me and I started back, almost rolling down the hill and on back to the car.
12-07-2022 10.JPG
Perham Down stop-off
No Silver-spots nor Chalkhills
Try again later…

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

More nice memories of last summer Wurzel :D
Wurzel wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:39 pm ...when the sky was ripped asunder and a group of incognito Red Arrows shot past...
I think this is who you saw Wurzel, they did a tour of some UK airshows last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Eag ... batic_team

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the plane ID Neil :D Their name is appropriate but they're not as eye catching as the Arrows :wink: :D

School Pick-up 13-07-2022

As the heat continued to build I received a request from L “Dad please can you pick me up and take me home as it’s sooooooo hot!” I dutifully drove home and turned off at the correct place and pulled into the car park 15 minutes or so early. Luckily for me the girls school backs onto Five Rivers and so toot sweet I was wandering, camera in hand, through the Glades. The odd Brown flew in the baking heat, the shade from the desiccated leaves above offering the tiniest respite from the sun beating down. I settled myself when I reached the end Glade so beloved of Orange-tips in the spring as it was so hot that I wanted to just wait and see if anything came to me. There were a pair of H. Commas buzzing about one of which had set up a territory on the large Bramble bush. The other which was slightly more worn one kept hassling the other, most noticeably once I’d got a lock on it and focused in!
13-07-2022 1.JPG
Despite their tricky nature it was good fun to watch their antics as they saw off a Meadow Brown and various Whites and I managed to nip in and click a few shots every now and again. One finally settled down in amongst the Nettles (probably extremely fatigued) and so I made an approach. When I was in closer it looked to be laying eggs, bending it’s abdomen around and brushing it on the underside of various leaves. So my presumption of ‘territorial battles’ may have been off the mark and perhaps the butterfly was trying to brush off the unwanted advances of other.
13-07-2022 3.JPG
13-07-2022 4.JPG
13-07-2022 5.JPG
Time was almost up and as I made my way to leave my progress was momentarily arrested by an aged Large Skipper, unfortunately I couldn’t hang around so after a couple of clicks I picked my way round the thorny tendrils and raced back to the car. School run complete!
13-07-2022 6.JPG
Doing the school run
Whirling, crazy, Ginger Nuts
A brace of Commas

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Work 14-07-2022

I’d only just arrived at work and after checking my pigeon hole I crossed the room to leave the Staff Room. On the way I bumped into the Data Manager and as we were chatting I spotted something on the window sill. As the question “Do you take your camera everywhere with you?” left the Data Managers lips I pulled said camera from the bag, garbled a quick “excuse me” and grabbed a few shots. Shots in the bag and camera too I turned back to the Data Manager and explained “Yes I do for this very reason”. Then I set about cajoling the Small Skipper back our through the open window.
14-07-2022 1.JPG
14-07-2022 2.JPG
14-07-2022 3.JPG
Perfect example
Why I always keep my gear
In the bag ready!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

This is why I carry my camera around with me all the time throughout the season (and have never progressed to anything bulkier than will fit in a pocket! :) ). Great shots of the Skipper, Wurzel - it may well have been sheltering indoors from the heat. I remember visiting the Hampton Court Flower Show in July some years ago on a blistering day, and the tents were heaving with both Small and Essex Skippers. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D "it may well have been sheltering indoors from the heat." It was definitely a scorcher that day! :shock: :?

Work 15-07-2022

It was another balmy day, the sun beat down on the parched and baked earth and there was little to no wind to playfully jostle the Skippers as they clung to dropping florets. As I strolled through the long grasses at the Pits small squadrons of Skippers would imitate Harrier Jump-Jets, leaving their perches vertically before veering away drastically across the grass heads. The Meadow Browns were much more lugubrious and looked at times like they were struggling to get airborne which I knew from previous experience was just a ploy on their part for the minute I’d make towards them, camera at the ready, they would be off their ponderous flight taking them away surprisingly rapidly. Luckily for me the Hedgies were much better behaved else I might not have got those all-important initial shots that settle me down and let me get into the correct mind-set.
15-07-2022 1.JPG
15-07-2022 2.JPG
I carried on along the little trackway the tall grasses that overhung the path brushing up against my trouser legs and leaving behind a fine dusting of black pollen and then round and beyond the Large Bramble bush. The thistle bed played host to a selection of Skippers – the most distant of which solidly remained Smessex but those that were closer too allowed the correct identification. For some reason round here they were much better behaved and perched for longer – perhaps the nectar source was of a higher quality or larger quantity? I couldn’t find any definite Essex amongst those that played ball but the ones that did were all Small.
15-07-2022 3.JPG
15-07-2022 4.JPG
15-07-2022 6.JPG
Whilst the Skippers were being better behaved the smattering of Marbled Whites were still playing hard ball. They’d take to the air whilst I was still well out of range and then plop down right in the middle of the impenetrable mass of nettles and Brambles that I for ever encroaching on the Thistle bed. I started to despair on ever getting anything of them and so decided to cut my losses and head back in to work early. As I turned I spotted something that didn’t fit in with the usual fare that I’d witnessed. It was a gloriously fresh Painted Lady the flash of pinky red and the odd blue circle standing out against the cryptic background and the sea of crisp beige behind it. Chuffed with getting a few shots as it bimbled about between sources of nectar I started back and almost fell over a Marbled White. It obviously missed the memo that the others were auctioning as it sat a top of a Thistle within reach of my lens. I took a few shots and then it realised that I was there and it was gone.
15-07-2022 7.JPG
15-07-2022 9.JPG
15-07-2022 10.JPG
Hedgies and Skippers
A Painted Lady drops in
A lone Marb plays ball!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Happy birthday, Wurzel! I hope it was a good one!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Happy Birthday from me Wurzel, just had mine last week , hope yours was a good one :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Guy :D The weather wasn't that great so I postponed my Birthday trip to today and bagged 3 Small Torts and 2 Brimstones followed by a curry for tea - great Birthday all in all :D 8)
Cheers Goldie :D Mt belated Birthday celebrations were great (see above) but even better I've postponed my 'family outing' until mid May so now I just have to work out whether to go for Wood Whites, Lulworths or Glanvilles :wink: :D :D

The Devenish 24-07-2022

This was a quick family walk up at The Devenish. Things were still stifling hot despite the start of the summer holidays, a time when normally the weather takes a turn for the worst. Things started promptly with a Hedgie dropping down onto the car like a dead leaf and then we pressed on through the Orchid Meadow and up the steep side of the Down. On the way there were plenty of Hedgies practically crawling over the Brambles on the side of the track at the foot of the hill as well as a Comma on the other side as the tunnel like track opened up. As we wearily climbed the Down side, thighs burning from the build of lactic acid and lungs heaving our exertion was matched by the Meadow Browns as they erupted from the grass bordering the chalk steps cut into the slope, clawing their way into the air and looking like at any moment gravity would win out sending them tumbling back to ground from whence they’d come. In contrast a few Chalkhills and Marbled Whites drifted both up and down the side of the Down effortlessly and also annoyingly just out of reach of my lens. Were it not for the constraints of the ‘Family Walk’ (there is a certain etiquette that must be followed) I would have set off after, anaerobic legs be dammed. Instead I plodded on up and settled for some Meadow Browns instead.
24-07-2022 1.JPG
Once all had arrived at the top and having caught our breaths we entered the Beech hanger enjoying the slight respite from the heat offered as we wandered, picking our own paths, in the shade. After the swings and the gate the Beech gave way to other trees and the sun started to shine in amid the little breaks and miniature clearings. Come the first of these a Silver-washed appeared out of the gloom from deeper in the wood and relishing the warmth offered by the rays that penetrated through the smaller Birch leaves and the light flooding in from a small break in the trees it sat for a while, nicely posed on a small log. On slightly further from this and a large collapsed Buddleia held a Large White, Red Admiral and several Commas. A Brimstone detached itself from the mass of lilac flowers and floated downwards onto a small stand of thistles.
24-07-2022 2.JPG
24-07-2022 4.JPG
24-07-2022 5.JPG
I’ve found that by this stage of the walk I’ve normally become engrossed in conversation and my mind if split between walking, talking and keeping an eye out for the butterflies and unless something presents themselves to me I often walk most of the rest of the route without taking many shots. So it happened today. Along the path at the back of the wood I counted a Green-veined White, a Red Admiral and 2 more Commas as well as a Large White which unfortunately only allowed a very distant, and so ultimately very blurry, shot of it. As we came out of the wood and down the farmers track towards the wood piles several more Whites flew along with another Red Admiral and another Comma (they were having a good day!), this one finally sat still for just long enough for an approach and a few shots reeled off. There were a few Meadow Browns as we traipsed along the tracks that traversed the fields before the final two butterflies of the day – a Small Skipper which stopped and a Peacock which didn’t. Not too bad for quick stretch of the legs truth be told.
24-07-2022 6.JPG
24-07-2022 7.JPG
24-07-2022 8.JPG
A family walk
And yet despite the constraints
Grabbed a few Butties!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, why not do the lot :lol: Goldie :lol:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D I don;t know if Mrs Wurzel would be up for that :shock: Believe me if I thought she was the route would already be programmed into the Satnav :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lockdown Park 27-08-2022

With the Saturday jobs completed I thought about taking my camera and heading out for a final-ish trip of the summer break. However the weather gods transpired against me and the glimpses of the sun that had first prompted the suggestion of a trip out faded into distant memory to be replaced by a blanket of light grey cloud. It was the type of cover which allowed not quite enough light through so that I didn’t need shades but it gave everything a washed out look where the colours and hues ran into one almost. I still felt the need for some exercise and so set off, carrying my camera out of habit more than for any other reason, to see where my feet took me.

As I strolled muscle memory kicked in and I found myself wandering through the arch, along the Cathedral an out the other side. Then under the other arch, across the road and then under the bridge towards Lock Down park so called as this was one of the exercise destinations when were allowed to leave the house ONLY for exercise. I continued on along the riverside path to the corner, the cloud keeping the butterflies hidden away in their cosy nooks. As I was on the far side of the circuit there was a brief glimpse of the sun through the scantest of breaks. As the ultraviolet beamed down various Hoverflies and bees took to the air and where before there had only been the sound of children playing and skating now the air was momentarily filled with droning and buzzing. But alas it was only momentarily for all too soon the cloud exerted itself and won over the sun. The light dropped back to the dim grey and the buzzing ceased, all was quiet again.
27-08-2022 1.JPG
I pressed on occasionally looking directly up hopefully, longing for a little patch of blue but it seemed like those blue sky breaks weren’t on the cards. By this point I’d worked round to about 2/3s of the circuit and I’d drawn level to the ribbon of set aside vegetation that had been left especially for the wildlife. As I scanned across the grass tops I spotted something out of place atop a crown of Queen’s Lace. There against the backdrop of whites and straw colour was a vibrant orange standing out almost ablaze; it was a Small Copper. I snaked my feet in and around the tall tufts of grass and got close enough for some shots and as I did so the unimaginable happened – I’d been so busy watching the ground I’d forgotten to look up and the sun had come out!
27-08-2022 2.JPG
27-08-2022 3.JPG
27-08-2022 4.JPG
27-08-2022 5.JPG
After spending a few minutes catching up with the Copper I scanned around some more and there was a Brown Argus, swiftly followed by a Large White and to complete the set a male Common Blue in fine fettle flew about. I didn’t know how long the sun would stay out for and so I set about getting shots of all three species, one after the other, in the same order that they’d appeared in. The Brown Argus was first and was a bit battered but still a welcome sight. Next up was the Large White and I had to reframe my eyes to fit it in after the miniscule Argus. It proved trickier as at first it sat amid the aging leaves but eventually the warming sun tempted it out for a less obstructed view. However the most troublesome by far proved to be the Common Blue. Not only was full of the vim and vigour of relative youth but it was also the most solar charged of the three and so I manged only a few brief shots before it was gone, disappearing across the park past French Bulldogs and toddlers.
27-08-2022 7.JPG
27-08-2022 8.JPG
27-08-2022 9.JPG
27-08-2022 10.JPG
Chuffed that such a short window of opportunity had opened up and I felt that I’d made the most of it I set my feet heading homewards. However the butterflies always have a tendency to make me feel like Michael Corleone and every time I go to leave they drag me back in. So it was today and the culprit that led me astray was a Specklie which led me on a merry dance, mainly stopping just for long enough so that I would make the approach before taking off as the focus drilled down. In the end I managed a few before metaphorically fitting some blinkers and making my way home hastily so as not to turn up late.
27-08-2022 11.JPG
A tiny cloud break
And the butterflies come out
That is all it takes

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, love the shots of the Common Blue, looks like they posed just for you :lol:
I'm looking forward to your March Calendar , it always heralds that Spring is on the way :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D They did sit just right for once 8) Here comes the March calendar now - although at the moment sping seems a long way off still :?

March 2023

Happy March! Hopefully things on the butterfly front will take an upswing soon. :D
03 Mar 23.jpg
Not at all spring species but still nice though :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cat Food! 14-09-2022

And so, excluding a couple of trips to Wales, I reached my final Extra Post. This one came about in mid-September and was added to the extra post because at the time a lot was going on. I’d gone back to work and things were hectic beyond belief plus I was being led astray by the onslaught of Clouded Yellows and the weather at the start of the month hadn’t exactly been ideal for butterflies. A walk at the Devenish at the weekend had only produced a few fly-bys – Red Admiral and a Comma which had stopped for just long enough to get a grab shot…
14-09-2022 1.JPG
Then I had to visit the Vets to get the cat his food. I had a chat with them and we talked butterflies and how the season might be starting to wind down. With cat food in hand I crossed the road back to the car and as I stepped up onto the pavement something went up from one of the gardens. As it flew along the side of the houses I could see that it was a Peacock but it was far too far away for my lens so I dropped the cat food into the well of the passenger seat and then I saw that the butterfly had returned and was now sitting in a bush right at the correct end of the drive. Reaching down I pulled my camera from its bag and slipping the strap over my shoulder I crept along the footpath raising the barrel upwards as I homed in on my target. I got a record shot just in case and then forewent the ‘click-step’ and then deciding to throw caution to the wind I just walked up to the bush at the footpath end of a driveway and clicked away. The Peacock just sat there and remained there all the while that I packed my camera away and was still there, just visible in my rear view mirror as I drove home.
14-09-2022 2.JPG
14-09-2022 3.JPG
Went to get cat food
Asked for Venison ‘stubbies’
Got Peacock instead!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”