Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D I don't know about the Mouses' last supper but I think that some mammals can feed on Fly Agaric without harm (I'm trawling to the depths of my Mycology course now :? ). Hopefully the Brimstones will be able to settle down soon and maintain some of their reserves for spring :?
Cheers Matsukaze :D Sadly the Pearls have gone but it's good for plenty of other stuff - White Admirals, DGFs and even His Nibbs 8)
Cheers Trevor :D The downside to the Fungi is that as they don't 'move you're down for longer so your knees get muddier/damper :roll: :lol: I swear this is the real me - I suppose it was only a matter of time until I was 'faked' :roll: Could be worse my sister in-law has been faked a few times and all her art work ripped off :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Five Rivers 19-10-2022

I’d taken a walk along the road parallel to the railway track the day before and I’d spotted a couple of Red Admirals. They’d played hard to get by swooping down along the road and then flying to the other side of the fence. Then I’d been called back to the house as the heating engineer was arriving to fix our boiler…

When I revisited without the imminent ‘you need to come home’ call there was only one Red Admiral and this one played even harder to get alighting right at the top of the vegetation which grew over the top of the tall fence. I approached it a couple of times, camera held up and as far ahead in front of me as possible and each time I got within range it would flick its wings and np over the fence for a few minutes before returning somewhere slightly further along and staring down witheringly at me. I managed a single record shot so that will have to suffice.
19-10-2022 1.JPG
I kept walking to the end of the road, along the riverside path, over the wooden bridge and then down the river path on the way to the Glades at Five Rivers. Over the whole distance I’d not encountered a single butterfly…that is until I reached the ‘usual spot’. A line of trees runs the length of the path from the wooden bridge all the way to the Banks. Just before the Glades there is a sudden break where one or more of the trees has died, the remnants of which stands alone and naked of bark, denuded and shorn of limbs in the middle of a square of nettles and Hogweed. On the other side of the path there are little scallops of grass which the sunlight is focused on almost as if it has been refracted through a lens which the dark mud and stones of the path warm up really quickly. All of which makes this little spot a bit of a Red Admiral heaven – nectar sources, basking spots, a sheltered battleground with plenty of room for spiralling territorial disputes to be settled in, plenty of food source for the next generation and to cap it all mature trees with plenty of nooks and crannies to serve as hibernating spots.
As I approached I was greeted by a fast moving Admiral coming towards me. It was almost upon me, flying at head height when it veered off to my left and flew across the tops of the Nettles. As it did so a second went up and they both went at each other, spiralling upwards and making good use of the previously mentioned airspace. I stood back and watched and waited. Eventually they broke apart and one drifted down like a fallen leaf and landed on some low laying Nettles in the grassy scallop whilst the other did a few passes of the Nettle bed before taking up residence a few steps into the mess of stinging leaves. I managed to get some shots of both and then I left them in peace to recharge their batteries, lick their wounds before they inevitably started on each other again.
19-10-2022 2.JPG
19-10-2022 4.JPG
19-10-2022 6.JPG
19-10-2022 7.JPG
I carried on and had a quick look around the Glades but came up blank at all the usual places of interest so I decided that I’d wander slowly back towards the Admirals to see if they would deign to pose some more. As I was cutting across the last Glade I spotted an Admiral down on the vegetation which had been of interest to the Brimstone a trip or so previously. It had its wings open three quarters and so I waited to see if it was in the process of settling down to bask or getting to ready to take to the air. Unfortunately it was the later and it was up and off. As it climbed upwards nearly vertical in a clear space between two trees it was intercepted by a roving Tit flock which was moving from one spinney to another. It managed to evade several hungry beaks but needed a moment to compose itself and so I watched it return to ground level. I gave it a minute or so to calm down before I stalked in close enough to train my lens on it. At first I’d guessed that it was one of the pair I’d witnessed earlier but now I was close enough in there were obvious difference in the wear and tear, the nicks and chips so it became my fourth Admiral of the day. With a few record shots I backed up, moving on my knees until I was several metres away and my silhouette was masked by a tree. The knees of my jeans were soaked from the damp ground but luckily the butterfly was still in the same place.
19-10-2022 9.JPG
Back at the Usual Spot which I’d started to think of as ‘Admiral Arena’ there as an Admiral in prime spot in the middle of the Nettle bed. As leant over I discovered that either my shirt wasn’t thick enough or the nettle stings were extraordinarily powerful as I felt the familiar pins and needles and sharp jabs of the stings. I did my best to ignore them and focus on the butterfly which I could only just get in shot by stretching my arms out fully and clicking away as I didn’t want to trample the nettles. I looked back at the photos and couldn’t see any chunks missing from the hind wings which meant that this was Admiral number 5 of the afternoon. After this I strolled on back pleased to have had my annual Admiral encounter.
19-10-2022 10.JPG
Autumnal outing
And Admiral encounter
Out at Five Rivers

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

December 2022

Well almost time to start working on the 2023 calendar - where did that year go?
12 2022.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Where did this year go? Each one seems to fly by but 2022 especially so.
You could save on your heating bill by sitting in a cool room, and remembering
that heat at Shipton B. back in August.

Stay well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D I like your idea but alas it would only work for me - the girls were sitting in the shade with air-con on that day :roll: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, great November and December calendars , you've reminded me to buy my 2023 one :D

All's finished at the house work wise so the freedom comes now for next years work on the garden and the Butterflies :D

You've taken some fantastic shots of the Cloudy and I love reading about your travels :D I don't seem to have much to post these days roll on Spring Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Glad to hear that things are going to plan for your house and you'll be raring to go for the butterflies next season :D

Five Rivers 23-10-2022

As it was so mild and dry I decided to take an afternoon stroll around an about, plus ‘dbeen given an ‘additional’ shopping list... All was quiet on the walk over to Waitrose and then with the barest of stuff in the rucsac I made my way over to Five Rivers. As I drew near to the Wooden bridge a ‘piping’ call drew me up short and I spotted an electric blue flash of a Kingfish which skimmed the surface of the still water and flew on under the bridge. This sight never fails to lift my spirits and the lack of butterflies was now of no concern.

I picked my way along the track and waited around at the usual ‘Admiral Arena’ but there were no combative Red Admirals out and about and so instead I walked onto Comma Corner where I again drew a blank despite there still being some nectar sources along the banks. With nothing on the memory card I walked back revelling in the autumnal colours and smells; the piping call of a/the Kingfisher cut through the susurration of the skeletal leaves and added melody to the staccato beats of the percussive Cetti’s. The fine film of dust from the long dry summer was now a slippery film of mud covered in smushy old leaves and there is the wonderful smell of damp wood drifting up as the dampness from the night before evaporated away.

Back at the usual place; Admiral Arena as I now call it, a leaf drifted down as I kept vigil…only it wasn’t a leaf; there was no breeze to lift it upwards? As I watched it made landfall and I kept a close eye on where it had come down swiftly heading directly to the spot only for it to have disappeared. I was sure it was a butterfly but I just couldn’t spot it. I persevered and eventually managed to locate it. A decaying leaf standing upright resolved under my intense gaze into a Specklie. It took to the air again and flew across the patches of grass to the start of the glades so while I waited hopefully for it to return I watched a passing troop of Goldcrests, Long Tailed Tits and other passerines. As the final member of this mixed flock departed into the denser cover of the trees lining the river I saw another one of those ‘falling leaves’. It tumbled down and then when about a metre from the ground it shifted up a gear and shot off horizontally, luckily in my direction. It passed me by and landed in the scallop directly opposite the nettle bed, posed in perfect lighting. As we were in the tail end of October and even though I’d already had eyes on it I was taken aback at how good a condition it was in; I wondered if it was – it didn’t have a nick anywhere and every scale was intact.
23-10-2022 1.JPG
23-10-2022 2.JPG
23-10-2022 4.JPG
Chuffed I decided to head for home and as I left a Red Admiral flew past and landed up high on the final tree by the wooden bridge. I walked on along the river with the odd Grey Wagtail ‘chis-icking’ and the Kingfisher doing another electrifying fly-by. The path under the railway bridge was closed and so I took a detour through the miniature housing estate and walked under the rail bridge on the other side. It joins up with the river and I reverted to looking intently at any falling leaves. Along the verge on the other side of the road I spotted a Red Admiral hanging around some scraggly looking Nettles and so I nipped across the road, got into position and managed a few shots before a car went by and spooked it. I watched it as it went up and along the verge and then over the road before it landed on the central reservation. So I crossed back and again tried for a few shots. Another car went past, in the other direction but having the same effect as the first. The butterfly again went up and this time it flew along the central reservation, went up high, crossed the road and eventually came back down to earth about 30cm from where it had originally started from. I tried for some final shots before giving this up as a bad job. I couldn’t quite see the attraction of this small row of Nettles to this particular butterfly especially as it was spooked by each passing car which was either entering or leaving the main car park for the city!
23-10-2022 5.JPG
23-10-2022 6.JPG
23-10-2022 7.JPG
As I wandered along the final stretch of my walk along Fisherton Street another Red Admiral appeared. It seemed to take off from the window of the Asian Supermarket, flew across the road and after a brief look in the coffee shop’s window sought refuge in the gardens behind the row of shops. It was the last butterfly of the day but hopefully not the last of the season?
Autumn marches on
Falling leaves begin decay
Yet new life emerges

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Wurzel wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:36 pm ...I couldn’t quite see the attraction of this small row of Nettles to this particular butterfly especially as it was spooked by each passing car which was either entering or leaving the main car park for the city...
Wurzel
I suspect that Red Admiral was considering a bit of egg-laying, Wurzel. For some reason low-growing nettles next to busy roads seem to attract them, and quite often the scrawnier the nettle the better. Still, it seems to work out for them! :)

That was a lovely Specklie female too, a great find so late in the year. :mrgreen: :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D It's odd that - you'd think that a large, lush and secluded Nettle bed would be favourite :? ? Maybe the parasitoids hang around the good stuff so the scraggly stuff is safer?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Five Rivers 24-10-2022

I needed to pop to Waitrose and so I grabbed my camera just in case. On the journey over I felt like I needn’t have bothered as there noting flying despite not needing a coat or jacket myself. With the shopping done and safely packed Tetris style in my rucksack I started for home but as I was so close to Five Rivers I decided to take the long way round. So I turned left onto the Town Path, crossed over the Wooden Bridge and somehow I’d ended up at Five Rivers! Oh well as I was there…

I followed track along the riverside, the odd leaf had already fallen and a few were strewn over the path but despite that the air was still warm. As I drew near to the usual Red Admiral haunt one flew into view, scything through the air towards me. It banked sharply and then cut its way across the river and out of sight. Just ahead of me was the cause of the spooking – a dog of its lead and well ahead of its owner. Inwardly I rolled my eyes and strode onwards to Comma Corner where there was nowt about. Things were so quiet that I decided that it would be best if I just made for home and so I worked my way back through the Glades. As I broached the final one a Specklie went up from an unseen position and it flew off strongly towards the Leisure Centre. Somehow I manged to overcome the reflex action of running after it which was a good thing as I was still carrying my shopping and so didn’t want to damage any of my precious cargo.

Back at the usual spot a/the Red Admiral was waiting and it granted me an audience. First it was in the Nettle bed and then it decided to have a bit of a pootle about down on the path before reverting to sitting back in the Nettles and allowing me to get some nice backlit/stained glass shots which I paid for in terms of stings to my ears and neck. I was just pausing to check back some of my images when another dog, off the lead, came bounding up through the Nettles, spittle and slobber flying along with any foliage that got in its way. After a curt “Bugger off!” saw it on its way I looked for the Admiral which unfortunately had retreated to the standing dead tree. I didn’t want to get much closer for fear of spooking it more and also as I didn’t want to trample the Nettles so I settled for a few distant shots.
24-10-2022 1.JPG
24-10-2022 2.JPG
24-10-2022 3.JPG
24-10-2022 4.JPG
24-10-2022 5.JPG
After this I actually got back on the homeward track and as I walked I mused that this might make a handy stop off point on my usual Saturday shopping trip, although I’m usually laden to the gunnels(?).

Whilst at Five Rivers
There’s life in the season yet
Admiral’s about

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

The stings will be long gone but what a superb backlit shot of the RA you’re left with Wurzel - cracking butterfly, cracking photo.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shot of the Admiral Wurzel :mrgreen: I hate it when I meet dogs like that, you never know if they're friendly or not, since I got the dog bite I think I've gone worse :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Ben :D That shot was definitely worth the stings :D
Cheers Goldie :D That is the thing, you never quite know. When I've bumped into fellow butterfliers with dogs their canines are brilliantly behaved it's just the dog owners that treat nature reserves as dog parks that I seem to have run-ins with :?

Coming soon...
0.0 Calander 2023 Cover.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Mottisfont 27-10-2022

I had high hopes for this visit to Mottisfont but it turned out to be one of those trips where things didn’t play out as I’d wanted. When I was in the right places where butterflies have flown and put on a late show before the sun would sit stubbornly behind the thick blanket of cloud and the wind would pick up sending the temperatures down further. When I was in spots that have always been bereft of butterflies (namely along the river path) the sun would peek out enough to encourage the odd dragonfly to venture forth. No moths flew and a Caddisfly now and again would catch me out momentarily.

I’d almost given up and I’d packed my camera away ready to take a tour of the house…but before we went in we popped into the cellarium. I told the girls to look up and along the vaulted ceilings for dark triangles against the grey stone. As I was investigating a Plume Moth on one side Kitty spotted 2 triangles on the other. So I cranked the flash up and when I checked back on the viewing screen there were two Small Torts hibernating away – antennae tucked behind their heads and between their wings. Surprisingly they were just out in the middle of the cellarium and not hidden away in the nooks and crannies or along the edges or in the corners. As we left I found a third which was slightly lower down and so easier to approach. It was tucked into one of the arched shelves cut into the side of one of the small corridors/chambers and so I was able to get side on with most of the wings in focus.
27-10-2022 1.JPG
27-10-2022 2.JPG
27-10-2022 3.JPG
27-10-2022 4.JPG
I checked it again later and they all three hadn’t moved. I’ll have to head back and check their progress later…
27-10-2022 5.JPG
The cellarium
Hidden away in the dark
Hibernating Torts

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Those Torties had possibly been there for a few months - "hibernating" before the really hot weather started. Great to find them though, and something to come back to?

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great find Wurzel, you've made me wonder If I've got some Hibernating in the couple of sheds at the bottom of the garden, I must check it out :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D Cheers Dave, definitely something to return for :wink:
Cheers Goldie :D Definitely worth a look - they do like a good shed. :D

Five Rivers 28-10-2022

I thought things were done and dusted but the sun still shone…just, and so once again I found myself winding my way along the tracks of Five Rivers. As over the last few times I wondered if this would be it, the last productive trip of the season. With the leaves finally falling, drifting down in zigs and gliding by in zags it certainly felt that way. As I ambled along checking all of the usual spots on the lead up to the Glades nothing butterfly-wise was flying and despite checking likely looking perching spots and seeking out the patches of flowers still in bloom I drew a blank. The small passerines were starting to band together into the mixed tit flocks of winter which suggested the end had inevitably arrived and this was further made clear when I heard the ‘tsp tsp’ of a few Redwings passing by as I broached the Banks.

All along the top I passed and then dove down the little tree lined path to the Lower Banks. As I broke from the cover I spotted something on the wing. It was a Red Admiral gliding backwards and forwards over the tops of the grasses. It went down and I made my way slowly towards it but it was very flighty and I’d only taken a couple of steps before it took to the wing again. I watched its progress and when it landed again I started towards it only to lose sight of it as a large dog appeared from the riverside path. It started barking and growling aggressively at me but apparently “He isn’t normally like this”; “He’s just not used to seeing people here as normally we walk in the dark” – by which she seemed to be implying that it was obviously my fault that the dog was uncontrollable and a bit of a brute? I mean how dare I use a public space during the daylight hours – what was I thinking?!

Slightly bemused I watched as she struggled to drag the beast away and with its baying and barking receding into the distance I got back to butterflying again. Reasoning that the butterflies at this time of year don’t venture that far between disturbances I looked around the locale. Somehow I managed to spy out the red bands amid the yellow and oranges of the dead leaves and there was the Red Admiral. So I settled down and got back into stalking mode so that I could grab a few shots. Once I’d gotten one or two I’d back off and then the butterfly would fly to another (more suitable?) spot.
28-10-2022 1.JPG
28-10-2022 2.JPG
28-10-2022 4.JPG
Eventually I left it in peace and strolled back towards the Glades taking the riverside path, the smell of bonfires on the allotments lurking like a river-born mist. I tried a little ‘pishing’, a technique favoured by American birders. I’ve tried it before and it works quite well for Goldcrests and it didn’t work out too badly today. The random sounding call brought in two Great Tits, a male and female Chaffinch, 5 Goldfinches and a Nuthatch; all eager to investigate the ‘pish’ call. I pressed on and bimbled through the Glades checking the falling leaves as I walked. As I was leaving the Glades one of these falling leaves turned into a Red Admiral. I knew it was this for as I watched from a distance the ‘leaf’ hit the deck and then promptly went back up again. I watched it do a circuit of the clearing before it came back to earth, landing one leaf over from where it had taken off. I don’t know whether it felt too exposed sitting out in the middle of the clearing but it was very flighty and once more took to the wing. This time I watched as it came down on a Bramble bush on the margins of the Glades so I was able to approach it for a few shots. Once again up it went and again it came down within a few inches/several centimetres from where it had previously posed. Chuffed I made my way home the acrid bonfire scent replaced by a more herbal variety courtesy of a local stoner.
28-10-2022 5.JPG
28-10-2022 6.JPG
28-10-2022 7.JPG
Five Rivers again
Admirals still on the wing
But that’s all folks
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Mottisfont 11-12-2022

As my sister had come back for a family Christmas from Perth WA of course the weather took a turn for the cold – with minus temperatures, snow in some southern counties and layers of frost building daily as the weak sun failed to melt it away come morning. Bundled up in many, many layers we set forth along the pathways accompanied by fluffed up Robins and with ice shards coating everything in sight. It was all very fitting as we’d come primarily to see the C.S.Lewis Christmas in Narnia exhibition and so we walked the paths of the Snow Queen’s kingdom stopping to look in various wardrobes that had been placed along the trail and dodging the odd snowflake as it desperately tried to snow.
11-12-2022 1 - Copy.JPG
11-12-2022 2 - Copy.JPG
11-12-2022 3.JPG
Before we ventured into the house I had a few moments to look in on the Small Torts in the cellarium. After the initial surprise of having to defog my lens (coming in from minus temperatures to the relative warmth of 5 degrees having misted it up to the same extent as entering the tropical house at Bristol Zoo!) it was good to see the three Small Torts still snuggled down and tucked up in the same positions. The loner was still in the alcove and the other two were still on the vaulted ceiling. A few Xmas decorations had been put up and with them a few lights as well and so I experienced an unusual feeling – gratitude for H&S! Yet in the darkness shineth a fluorescent light, illuminating a Peacock hibernating tight. Maybe I’ll get back here at the end of Jan to see if they’re all still here?
11-12-2022 5.JPG
11-12-2022 6.JPG
11-12-2022 7.JPG
Winter bites down hard
And butterflies hide away
Sleep snugly ‘til spring

Have a goodun

Wurzel

P.S…And so ended the year as, at the time of writing at least, there have been no other butterflies for me. Hopefully 2023 will bring us plenty more butterflies and so I wish one and all a...

HAPPY XMAS!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Belated Posts

This is first of a few posts that I decided to leave until the tail end of the year. I had several reasons for selecting a few posts to leave; the trip yielded only a few butterflies or they yielded plenty of the same from a run of smaller trips or the trip was a smaller one sandwiched in between bigger trips and I was getting (even) further behind with my PD. I did consider leaving them out entirely but that would have offended my compulsion for method and a job completed neatly and in an orderly fashion :? . The first came from the very start of the year back at the end of February...

Sixpenny Handley 27-02-2022

For a couple of weeks previously I’d started carrying my camera around with me as the season could have started at any time. I didn’t see any butterflies for a while but did find a few nice bits and bobs of a floral nature. The Snowdrops came on strong and swiftly on their heels the Aconites at work. I didn’t manage to get any shots of those this year as I was busier than usual at work so I had to settle for those that grow in the Cathedral close amid the Snakehead Fritillaries.
27-02-2022 1.JPG
27-02-2022 2.JPG
After finally picking up my first butterflies on the Friday at the end of the half-term I’d hoped for plenty more over the weekend but alas it wasn’t to be as the sun waned slightly and weakened quickly so that the temperature dropped below the double digits that would mean that the butterflies take to the air. On the Sunday we visited my folks over in Sixpenny Handley and after a marvellous lunch My dad, K and I went out for a quick walk around the village to get some fresh air. Our walk took us up through the housing estate and I scanned the gardens hopefully. One garden in particular stood out for me – the borders between the grass of the lawn and the footpaths were covered in a dense carpet of Heather. I was just thinking that it looked like a great place for a butterfly; possible nectar from the early florets with good cover and shelter from the wind, when a butterfly passed us by and after momentarily considering the car port opted instead to land on the heather. I few distant clicks and I had my butterfly shot for the day.
27-02-2022 3.JPG
It was the only one I saw all weekend but hopefully it means that things will finally take the turn and spring will begin and at this time of year you have to be grateful for anything that you get.
Season slowly starts
Out at Sixpenny Handley
A solo Small Tort

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Middle Street 08-04-2022

Why, oh why do I fall for it every time? The weather app showed sunshine and showers and I traipsed off without a coat taking a metaphorical leap of faith in the weather people. The weather itself was partly to blame. Just as things were getting going the weather threw a wobbler and took a turn for the worse; from sunny days and warm temps back to winter with its squally showers and leaden skies. I pressed on over to Middle Street anyways hoping that I might be able to find at least one butterfly to make the visit worthwhile. But as I wandered round it got greyer and greyer so much so that even the bees were keeping a low profile. They’re often the indicator that things are going to get better as they seem to fly a few degrees temperature wise below the butterflies so when they’re out and about there is hope that the butterflies will follow suit. However not today, I didn’t see a single one and the only sounds were the occasional plaintive cries of a Robin, wistful and depressed in D minor, and the swishing shushing of the wind fleeting through the reeds.

My wanderings took me pretty much round the entire site and some-how I ended up back at the Hotspot. Disconsolately I stared out across the neighbouring gardens trying my upmost to manifest anything in the form of a butterfly and there, its colour echoing both that of the sky and my mood, one appeared. Like a shadow it crossed the garden stretching out towards me before gravity pulled it back to earth and it went down a short way from me. As I strode over to it I worried that I wouldn’t be able to relocate it but instead of looking for the eyed red/purple forewings or the charcoal crisped underwings laid across the grass stems I played a hunch a looked for little ‘caves’ in the stooks of grass. There it sat ready for the forthcoming shower, all warm and snug in its little tent. It opened and closed its wings a few times, possibly to try and scare me off or to check that it could in readiness should it have to flee. The massive eyes flashing out at me didn’t deter me but I tried to sit extra still and fade myself into the background and then the butterfly closed up for good and it disappeared before my eyes.
08-04-2022 1.JPG
08-04-2022 2.JPG
08-04-2022 3.JPG
I completed the usual circuit round the reserve a second time but nothing else popped its head over the parapet and then I made for home, more quickly than usual as the sky took on an even more ominous tone.
Deep in the grasses
Tiger eyes shining brightly
It sees out the gloom

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”