Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Not much to report recently - a single Red Admiral in the garden today so I've started doing those jobs that always get left until the late autumn/winter. I've just been sorting throiugh my collection of moth photos and was hoping for some id Help.I really need to get a book on Moths, but with my wife’s de-cluttering habit becoming ever more manic I fear that it wouldn’t last long! :shock: :( I saw this Moth in my front garden back in September, but what with one thing or another I never got round to asking for help with its identification. Now that things have died down literally I thought it would be a good time to have a look on UK Moths and I think it is Amblyptilia acanthadactyla? Confirmation or further help gratefully received. :D
119 - Copy-001.JPG
150 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun
Wurzel

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lost day in the garden...
As we’re almost at the end of the season I was starting the annual tidy up. Sorting through my folders, moving them to my hard drive and making room ready for next year I came across a folder or two with photos that I hadn’t posted at the time.
Looking at the date it was during the very busy period when the weather was finally turning for the better so I had plenty of “trips” to sort out ready for posting; also at the same time I’d accrued enough brownie points with my wife to allow plenty more trips. So I was either out in the field or processing my shots and writing ready to post.
I remember this day as despite a recent run of very hot sunny weather things had turned damper and cooler so I took advantage of the poor butterfly weather and headed out back to sort the shed/summer house and do a few runs to either the Trussel Trust or the tip depending on the quality of the rubbish I was “de-cluttering”. The shed was a haven for Spiders with webs everywhere and apart from the House, Garden and Harvestmen there were a couple of species that looked different. One was more stocky with huge fierce looking palps that seemed to take up most of its’ head, a lot like the horror movie Tarantula. The other species was much smaller, less well built and much more delicate with an unusually marked abdomen. I’m still not sure about the first one and it’s probably just a House Spider but the second looks like a Stedoda – possibly nobilis, the Biting Spider?
004 - Copy-001.JPG
020 - Copy-001.JPG
Once I’d cleared the shed I had the wonderful task of loading it all into the car. However a couple of times I was distracted as a few butterflies decided to brave the rain and cool temperatures and fed in the garden. The first was a Red Admiral basking on the path. It seemed a little nervous so I didn’t want to get too close and disturb it so took the shot from a way back and cropped it like mad. While I was getting my shot I couldn’t help wondering whether this was the last of the spring/early summer variety or the vanguard of the autumn invaders?
037 - Copy-001.JPG
The second was a female Small White hanging out in the border shrubbery. Again I couldn’t help wondering was it the first or last of the brood? Although the slightly darker appearance suggested first...
043 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

the first is amourbious sp. and right genus for the steatoda but this is s. grossa rather than s. nobilis.

Chris

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the ID help Spiderman Chris! :D

Stourhead 29-10-12

With the promised Indian Summer not arriving the focus for a trip to Stourhead switched from nature shots to trying to capture the colours of autumn, a tricky feat with a macro lens and a drizzly grey day! Still it was glorious to walk the paths surrounded by an ever changing palette of reds and oranges, yellows and greens of all hues and tones. The folly looked resplendent with all this autumn finery surrounding it and the colours of some of the trees were stunning.
204 - Copy-002.JPG
209 - Copy-002.JPG
Upon examining a leaf more closely I found a miniscule bug clinging to the underside and braving the cold and damp.
210 - Copy-002.JPG
Further round one tree stood out from all the others as it glowed golden in the drear. All around were dark trees all crowded in and looking dark and ominous yet shining like a light among them this one tree stood apart.
215-002.JPG
I found my enthusiasm for photographing the trees was starting to dull after the initial awe of the colours and luckily an invertebrate appeared outside the gift shop to keep me amused for five minutes or so. I’ve looked through the Collins guide as well as flicked through UKMoths and the best I can come up with is Acleris sparsana, so any ID help would be gratefully received as usual.
229 - Copy-002.JPG
230 - Copy-002.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

They think it’s all over...

In one of my previous posts I ended by musing that it was surely the last of the butterflies from my garden. Yet today I chanced a glance out to the back garden and something small and dark crossed into the garden. I grabbed my camera and put on a coat and gloves (not usual garb for butterfly photography) and headed out the back. On one fence was a basking Red Admiral and on the other side of the garden another took off and disappeared towards the top of the garden. I took a chance and went after this one first as one basking on the fence seemed very settled. Despite a good 10 minutes of searching I couldn’t relocate it so I slowly checked along the other fence, working my way back down to where I hoped the first Red Admiral was still basking.
Despite the chilly nip to the air which was biting at my finger tips there still seemed to be plenty about; a few Shield Bugs, a couple of Hoverflies and Droneflies, a few small bugs on the underside of leaves and some truly fast and bulbous Spiders. The Hoverfly was quite intricate and stunning to look at as it appeared to be made from burnished brass but the haltares appeared like little unpleasant balls of nasal mucus (snot very nice).
075 - Copy-001.JPG
079 - Copy-001.JPG
Getting back to the section of the fence where I’d seen the first Red Admiral I was pleased to see that it was still there, basking happily. I have been lucky enough this year to get so many opportunities to photograph Red Admirals I tried to get something different form this last one. As I approached it for a close up I noticed that its’ legs seemed really hairy. When I checked the shots back later I realised that the hairy leg was the non-functional front leg that is normally held close to the head, the “brush foot” that gives Nymphalids their other name.
067 - Copy-001.JPG
Closer to the back door the small patch of Ivy was a haven for invertebrates with 4 easily distinguished flies, a couple of smaller Hoverflies and 3 Droneflies as well as a larva which I have yet to identify. Finally I couldn’t resist a final parting shot of the basking Red Admiral in classic pose. I might have said this before but it seems almost poetic that my first butterfly of 2012 was a Red Admiral at the front of the year from my front garden. And here at the back end of the year is possibly my last butterfly, a Red Admiral in my back garden.
107 - Copy-001.JPG
111 - Copy-001.JPG
...it is now...probably!
Have a goodun

Wurzel

p.s...another Red Admiral on the 3rd...will it never end? :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

End of Year Tally

Over the last two years I’ve written books using Blurb in order to put all my favourite photos, trip reports and anecdotes together. This year with changes at work and trying to buy a house as well as still finding Butterflies into November I haven’t had the time to put my book together. In fact I think that the next book will be my attempt at an ID guide but that may take more than a few years as well as a few thousand miles!
With no book to rely on and still wanting to review the year I was a bit stuck on how to go about it. So I looked through the Forums for “inspiration” or in lay man’s terms “ideas to nick” :wink: ! I liked the idea of the end of the year Tally (Neil) and the “Favourites” that has been running for two years now (Chris and Vince) and also the way that Mark divided it into the families. I also wished to feed my observations into the “Winners and Losers” data (Glostopcat). Hopefully I’ll be able to mash these ideas together for my all rounder review. So here goes...

The Skippers

1 Small Skipper, 08-07 Bentley Wood.
It felt like this species emerged later this year than in previous years but once they started appearing then there were lots around. I managed to find them at most sites – including Downshay, Lulworth and Woodhenge. In fact on one visit to Martin Down they were everywhere! I walked about 100 yards along the path that cuts diagonally across from Sillen’s Lane to the top of the hill and counted at least 20 all flitting around and bundling into each other.
167-001.JPG
2 Essex Skipper, 30-01 Martin Down.
Unlike Small this skipper was much harder to find and seemed to be scarcer this year. Despite getting a terrible crick in the neck from trying to look at Golden Skippers from the angle that allows you to see the “ink pads” over countless hours; I only saw it at two sites – Martin Down and Five Rivers. Whether this was because of poor weather meaning I didn’t get out to the appropriate sites in time and so missed them I don’t know but they were much harder to find. Hopefully they’ll bounce back next year?
not in great nick but an Essex none the less!
not in great nick but an Essex none the less!
3 Lulworth Skipper, 17-06 Bindon Hill.
This was one of my favourite butterflies of the year and as I remember saying early last year when laying out my plans this was my main target for the year due to my Durotrige heritage. I was slightly worried that I might miss them so I went almost as soon as they were reported on the Forums by Sussex Kipper back in early June. Sitting on the cliff edge, camera in one hand, coffee in the other enjoying the golden blurs in front of me while machine gun fire and RPGs went off in the distance was a truly surreal and enjoyable experience. I also managed a second visit to Lulworth itself (but not Bindon Hill) in mid August and they still seemed to be going strong then. This was my first experience of this species so I hesitate to say how well they did but I seem to recall noting on my first visit that they were outnumbering Small and Large Skippers by about 15 to 1? Hopefully I can increase my knowledge of them by a few more visits over the next couple of seasons.
293 - Copy-001.JPG
4 Silver Spotted Skipper, 10-08 Stockbridge Down.
I took out three trips again this year to an area of Martin Down where I’d seen them before but none seen again. Saying that, a couple of Silver Spots were seen once I’d left the BC Wiltshire Branch butterfly walk in late August. I did find manage to find them quite easily at Stockbridge Down and to me there seemed to be slightly more than last year – though I did go earlier this year? My observations with little experience don’t match reports from those with more comparative data who suggest that they are dwindling at this site, so who knows?
423 - Copy-001.JPG
5 Large Skipper, 02-06 Martin Down.
I saw good numbers of them at Bentley and saw them at a large number of sites. However got I got surprisingly few shots of them as I was always focusing on something else. It was either Lulworths at Bindon Hill or Silver Washed Frits, Purple Emperors and White Admirals at Bentley so the Large Skipper didn’t get a look in this year... still there should hopefully be plenty next year as they seemed to do well.
077 - Copy-001.JPG
6 Dingy Skipper, 12-05 Coombe Bisset.
This seemed to have a good year, probably due to the great weather we had during the early spring, so much so that I finally saw my first Bentley Wood Dingy! I did go looking for them roosting at a couple of different sites but didn’t have any luck – so something to aim for next year.
068 - Copy-001.JPG
7 Grizzled Skipper, 30-04 Martin Down.
This species seemed to have an excellent year again probably because of the very warm early spring. Once I’d found my first one of the year at Martin Down (which was actually quite tricky) they seemed to be everywhere, even turning up at Fiver Rivers!!! :D I also found them at Bentley Wood and the ones there seemed slightly less hairy and much darker in colour than others elsewhere. I doubt whether this is variation is significant but is something I’ll look for next year.
051 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

I like the way this idea of yours is developing, Wurzel.

Some good shots in there already and I look forward to seeing the rest.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Agreed,

A really good read with some cracking photos. I too am looking forward to the next installment

Cheers,

Neil F.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Wurzel,

Nice work. I like the format you are adopting and look forward to the next instalment :D

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Just to say I'm enjoying this too, Wurzel! You've caught some really good pictures this year.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers guys for all your comments, no pressure now then eh?! :wink: Aside from sorting out the Whites I did manage to get out today for a family walk...
Bolderwood
It’s been over a week since I saw my last butterfly so when we went for an Autumnal walk in the New Forest I set my camera for landscapes. The low sun wasn’t as weak as I thought it would be but it cast so stunning shadows and lit glades in spectacular fashion.
075-002.JPG
As we wandered along the track we were joined by various species of Tit, Nuthatch and a small party of Goldcrest high in the pine trees. Then something caught my eye high up a dead pine tree, basking for all it was worth – a Red Admiral. It was so far away that I had to crop and sharpen it like mad to make it even remotely recognisable but still a record shot, however poor, from November isn’t to be sniffed at.
090 - Copy-001.JPG

For the rest of the walk I kept my eyes peeled but didn’t really expect to see anything else so got back to enjoying the trees and light as well as the birds calling. Almost back at the start of the walk I had another sighting of a Red Admiral but it was probably the same individual and it wasn’t hanging round.
092-002.JPG
102 - Copy-002.JPG
And there was me doing my “end of the year review”, I should be safe to carry on now though surely?
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The Whites

8 Wood White 09-06 Botany Bay

This was the first time that I’d ever seen Wood Whites and I drove back from Botany Bay deeply smitten by them. Their flight seemed so fragile it was almost ethereal. Guessing how well they’ve done this year with such limited experience seems pointless. All I can say is that despite us worrying that there wouldn’t be any left on our June visit we saw a lowest estimate of 25 which didn’t seem too bad for between broods? It was a cracking day with Glannies at Wrecclesham and at Botany Bay Nightingales, Orange Moth, Long-horned bee as well as some top notch butterflies, the cream of the crop being the Wood Whites. I loved the way that they would take the hue of the flowers that they were feeding on as they reflected it off their scales before idlely flapping to the next one, effortless flight it is not.
361 - Copy-001.JPG
489 - Copy-001.JPG
9 Brimstone 25-03 Backgarden

I saw Brimstones over 8 months this year with my last sighting (at the time of writing) in October. I saw them at every site I went too. Some sites I visited many times and almost every time I went there would be a least a single Brimstone. Generally I’d see the odd male and/or female but at Stockbridge Down there were 3 males and 2 females all feeding at the same patch of Thistles and at Old Sarum down in the ditch there were Brimstones all over the place it felt like! I think I went a little Brimstone snap happy this year; getting both male and females in the classic pose, ovipositing and close ups, even managing to get an in flight shot using sports mode. As for how well they did it certainly felt like they had a good year.
248 - Copy-001.JPG
254 - Copy-001.JPG
264 - Copy-001.JPG
447 - Copy-001.JPG
10 Large White 12-04 Garden

I struggled to see Large Whites at the start of the year and it felt like they weren’t having a good year but then by the late summer their numbers seemed to have picked up and there were reasonable numbers in my garden and at several local sites. Perhaps the cooler weather at the start of the year or the fact that if they were around I was generally after something else could explain why it feels like I didn’t see very many this year? It could also be a case of identification problems as a flying Large White or Small White from a distance or as you’re driving by inevitably becomes just a “white”.
069 - Copy-001.JPG
11 Small White 25-03 Five Rivers

Contrary to the Large White this species seemed to do well this year and I found a couple at most sites. Like the Large White they seemed to do well during the autumn period in particular when not only was it easier to get close to them but they were easier to find. I would like to think that I was safe in my identification of this species judged on size and the more subtle wing tips but again like the Large those that passed by without stopping so I could confirm were labelled as “whites”. So this could mean that I’d seen more than I recorded. My gut feeling is that they perhaps of all the Whites species fared best this year, or at least ran Brimstones a close second.
015 - Copy-001.JPG
044 - Copy-001.JPG
037 - Copy-001.JPG
12 Green-veined White 06-04 Martin Down

This was the species of White that I was most worried about. If I did see one then it was always outnumbered by Small Whites by around 3 to 1 and I have a gut reaction that this was the case overall but it could just be a local thing. What I did notice was that all bar one of the individuals I photographed were past their best, almost as if they’d been far too busy courting and mating to hang around to be photographed. One individual had lost most of its hind wing and another was lacking an entire antenna. Hopefully they’ve weren’t plentiful because they were just keeping a low profile and just getting on with living and continuing the species through a terrible spring and summer, the proof of this will hopefully come next season...
085 - Copy-001.JPG
13 Orange-tip 30-03 Garden

The early spring weather (temperatures in March reached 26°C... in Scotland!) seemed to bring out the Orange-tips in great numbers. Last year I had 3 males in the garden, and likewise this year too including a rather attractive aberrant. However when it all suddenly went cooler again I was concerned about them but they were still around in good numbers so I feel like they had a good year and I had sightings at home, work, Five Rivers as well as up in Wales. As usual they were a pleasure to follow as they patrolled along the hedgerows with the added bonus that because of the cooler weather they were much more approachable and spent more time roosting. This was great as sometimes getting shots of this species can a bit like a smash and grab attack whereas this year you could take your time. Because of this I was able to get some shots that I was really happy with, none more so than of a female with her wings open in the textbook pose.
082 - Copy-001.JPG
087 - Copy-001.JPG
010 - Copy-001.JPG
042 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Back to the Garden

I’m finding that work is piling up and the weekends are becoming the days in the week to catch up on all of the work you’ve not done because you’re so busy. Add to that the dearth of butterflies now that autumn is dragging on with winter just round the corner and I’m not getting out and about as much. So today I was cheered enormously upon my return from the family shopping by a Red Admiral flapping weakly over my front garden. Having had lunch and in between the washing up and ironing I crept outside for 20 minutes.
There basking on the fence was a Red Admiral. It looked in very good nick as it tried desperately to absorb some energy from the weak November sun. I crept quite close to get some shots and then left it in peace so it would hopefully charge itself sufficiently.
244 - Copy-002.JPG
I had a bit more of a mooch checking every blob and dot that was hanging to the fence on my way to the top of the garden. Most were the usual flies, with the occasional Drone thrown in for good measure as well as a couple of sparkly emerald-like Green Bottles.
249 - Copy-002.JPG
On the other side of the Ivy Arch a tiny leaf hopper caught my eye as it contrasted so perfectly with its background. It should obviously be on some canary yellow plant and not the apple red of the old Bramble. When the light struck it seemed almost fluorescent.
260 - Copy-001.JPG
Right at the top where the fence ends and the hedge take over there was a small “smudge” that seemed to blend in with the lichen. I placed my finger near to it and it moved slightly so I focused in and there was a beautiful subtle fly, some kind of picture wing I guess. What really struck me were its rainbow eyes they looked mad.
265 - Copy-002.JPG
I headed back down to the garden and the Red Admiral was still there so I took a few shots from a distance so as to leave it in peace. I was hoping to give it a chance to carry on basking so I skirted it widely but it still took off.
271 - Copy-002.JPG
However it wasn’t me that spooked it but this little chappy who almost collided with my head as he dropped across the garden!
274 - Copy-002.JPG
That seemed to be my lot and 13 minutes after I’d first headed out I was back in-doors looking thorough my shots and waiting for the kettle to boil! :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Wurzel,

Great photos and reports, keep 'em coming :D

I know what you mean about work catching up on you, I am doing stuff now that I put off during the past few months whilst I was out and about :(

Cheers,

Neil F.

David M

Post by David M »

Excellent stuff, Wurzel.

I particularly like your Brimstone shots.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Neil - I'm just about catching up but then the next wave of work arrives! :shock:
Cheers David for your kind comments - I did go a bit Brimstone happy this year :oops: :wink:

The Hairstreaks

Before I go into details I just need to say that I was quite surprised that Black Hairstreak didn’t feature more heavily this year on the Sightings page as last year for a period of 2-3 weeks it felt like the world and his wife had seen (and got some cracking shots too) of a butterfly I have yet to encounter so I take it this was a bad year for them? Well I too mirrored that...

14 Green Hairstreak 02-06 Martin Down

Do I have to begin with this species? Two years ago I found this species easily, last year it was much harder work with only one sighting at Martin Down so I assume that they had a bad year in 2011 yet I was hopeful that enough would have bred to make 2012 a good year for them. With the coming of summer in March and very early records from this period “it won’t be long until I find my first of 2012” I said to myself. Oh how I came to rue those words! For me you see 2012 was terrible for Green Hairstreak. Everyone was seeing them; some people for the very first time, others would bemoan their lack of sightings one morning only to report that they’d seen one that afternoon, and then eventually even the wives of the world started seeing them. But not Wurzel, so the Quest began...I tried loads of different sites, different times of the day, I sought people that had seen them and got directions and grid references and I checked every single bush between Salisbury and Pewsey several times to not avail. I even considered religion so I could ask for help of a supernatural nature and all the while the sightings board was filling up with Greenstreaks! I thought I had a few run-ins with them but this was generally fleeting glimpses of something “small and darkish” so it could really have been anything but most possibly wishful thinking. In the end I gave it up as a bad job and decided to move on.
As so often happens the very next day I took the girls to Martin Down so they could have a run around and something caught my eye, low down to the ground. It was green! It was a butterfly that was green!! Finally...
The final twist to the Quest was that the almost the very next weekend at Wrecclesham what do you think was the first photographed butterfly of the day? Yep!
So to sum up...from other reports the early spring kick-started a good year for the Green One, but for me it was almost a complete disaster.
070 - Copy-001.JPG
079 - Copy-001.JPG
15 Brown Hairstreak 19-08 Shipton Bellinger

This almost feels like a game of two different halves. Alners Gorse was disappointing this year. I don’t know whether that because they appeared early, in July no less (I seem to recall?), so by the time I visited they may have been past their best? All day the best I could manage was a maximum count of 3 females and they were hard work to find.
Shipton Bellinger on the other hand was absolutely cracking for them. On my first successful visit I found 2 females and a 3 males and the second visit saw a female and two males. Whilst it was good to see them here in higher numbers than last year it didn’t seem many and with the Ash disease things aren’t likely to improve...
141 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
182 - Copy-001.JPG
16 Purple Hairstreak 08 07 Bentley seen, and again there on 23-07...

I guess over the last couple of years I’ve been spoilt for The Purps at Bentley with low resting individuals offering me open wing shots of a male and female as well as the closed wing one. This year I saw them on two visits to Bentley Wood and heard of a report when at Alice Straits and that was it. From my own perspective as well as those people I’ve chatted with while out and about, they seem to have had a very tough time in 2012. The closest I got to a shot was pointing my camera half way up a tree and then cropping like mad. I have heard that Purple Emperors suffer when we get high winds during their flight period as they just try and sit the bad weather out at the top of the tree so I’m wondering if Purps do the same? If that was the case then the cooler and very wet weather we had during the late spring and summer could be responsible for their low turn-out?
001 - Copy-001.JPG
17 White-letter Hairstreak poss.10-08 Stockbridge...definite 22-08 Alners Gorse

I possibly saw this species first at Stockbridge Down when I encountered a tiny dark grey/light brown butterfly jinking around at the top of the trees near the eastern car park – however I couldn’t be sure so I’ll have to rely on my only sighting of 2012 from Alners Gorse as my “first” of the year date. In fact it as a cracking find as on one bramble there was a female Brown Hairstreak, Meadow Brown and a White Letter all in one view. That being said I can’t really comment on how well I thought they did having only a single record to judge it by!
White Letter Hairstreaks are an aloof lot, hanging around in the tops of the trees and only rarely deeming to come down to the “lower” levels. This is why they are such a pain to photograph and also such a pain to guesstimate their numbers. In fact when I’ve seen them it has always been through luck and never judgement if anyone has any tips (I’ve already thought about carrying a step ladder with me and building a tree house opposite a Master Tree) they’d be gratefully received...
019 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Two different Hairstreaks in one shot is an achievement by any standards, Wurzel!

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:Two different Hairstreaks in one shot is an achievement by any standards, Wurzel!

Dave
Indeed. In fact, to get a picture of a White Letter AND a Brown Hairstreak on practically the same bloom is almost as good as getting a shot of mating Red Admirals.

jenks

Post by jenks »

Wurzel wrote

" The Hairstreaks
I was quite surprised that Black Hairstreak didn’t feature more heavily this year on the Sightings page as last year for a period of 2-3 weeks it felt like the world and his wife had seen (and got some cracking shots too) of a butterfly I have yet to encounter so I take it this was a bad year for them? "

I think I can confirm that 2012 was a bad year for BlH. Since 2008 I have made a trip to Glapthorn to see this species. On my first visit, 29 June 2008, I met the warden, Dick Smith, who kindly gave me his telephone number so I could ring for information before making future visits. As a result visits in 2009, -10, and -11 were all successful. I phoned him in late June this year as I had 4 days B&B booked in Suffolk and planned to make a diversion en-route for Bl H. He told me that he had seen only 3 Bl H at that point compared with 22 on comparable dates in 2011 and 19 in 2010. On my way up to Suffolk on 29 June it was pouring with rain ( sounds familiar doesnt it ? ) so I thought it pointless to stop. I did stop at Lakenheath ( dipped on Golden Oriole ) but saw my first Red Admiral, Ringlet and Small Skipper of the year, and Strumpshaw fen on 1 July produced 3 Swallowtail on the trail just before crossing over the railway line and before reaching the lane down to the Doctors house.

I`m really enjoying reading your reminiscences of 2012 Wurzel, and viewing your photos. Lets hope 2013 brings better butterfly weather than the summer of 2012.

Jenks.

David M

Post by David M »

I don't recall any major posts this year relating to Black Hairstreaks. Of all British species, this one is the most adversely affected by a 2 week period of bad weather (if that period coincides with its flight season).

One of only two UK species I have yet to see, I am determined to set time aside next year to observe them.

Return to “Personal Diaries”