Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Guy's for the ID. A Goldcrest it is then.

Dilettante, your superb image sums up nicely what I saw. When I first glimpsed this tiny bird
my first thought was for a Wren, then i noticed the green back.

Many thanks Buggy for your input, which helps to confirm the ID. Hope to bump into you
again this coming season.

Many thanks again,
Trevor.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I thougt Goldcrest when I saw it earlier but as I was at work I couldn't comment - still looks like you got your answer Trevor :D Keep your eyes open and you might get a Firecrest :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, seems I saw a Gold Crest at Penn Flash, like you I wasn't sure it's a first for me. Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Trevor, nice one with the Goldcrest. I sometimes get these in my garden but they are so small and quick that I rarely manage to get a photo.

Cheers,

Neil.

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI All,

The optimist in me tells me that although we are still in Winter, some things are on the mend.
If the three months of Winter are looked at logically, then December carries on from the last Autumn month
( remember those November Butterflies ) and January is the mid Winter month. January has now passed and
February leads into the first Spring month.
Sunset around here is at 17.00 today, that's well over an hour gained since the shortest day. So bearing the
above in mind, my glass is half full, it's certainly half empty at the start of December !.

The new season awaits, and it's not too far away ! :D.

Trevor.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Indeed it isn't Trevor, my Daff's are nearly out inspite of the storms we've had, it feels like Spring already when I look into the Garden, I've even got a Grape Hyacinth in flower. :D Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Things are certainly starting to move now; if only the wind and rain would abate we could get out and take a closer look. Surely these storms can't continue indefinitely?

trevor

Post by trevor »

With the start of Spring just around the corner,one of my species Daffodils has come into Bloom.
This one is of the unusual N. Cyclamineus, a native of Portugal and Northern Spain.
This species, with it's fully reflexed petals is one parent of many of our garden varieties.
Despite it's tiny size, and countries of origin, it grows quite well in the UK Provided the soil is acid
and damp.
Don't however, look for it in garden centres, as it strongly resents being lifted and bulbs will die
if stored. I grow mine from seed and put up with some losses !.
Despite the very early flowering of some garden Daffodils this year, Cyclamineus is bang on time.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1180991.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

If your Cyclamineus is bang on time then it can't be long now til the season kicks off - the end of Feb is normally the time to visit my 'early' site. :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Wurzel,
Now that's a mouthwatering prospect !. In fact iv'e just started dribbling !. :oops:
Seriously though the long wait is almost over. my first Butterfly last year was on Feb. 17th,
A Red Admiral basking on the front of my house.

Trevor.

trevor

Post by trevor »

This morning we had the most intense red dawn sky. As the sun rose above the horizon
it cast a bright, fire like glow onto the Oak tree at the bottom of my garden.
This only lasted for a very short time and by the time I had found my camera the best
was over.
Attachments
P1190022.JPG
P1190021.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Still looks fantastic Trevor, Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

An unusual effect Trevor - it reminds me of the old farmers weather rhyme "Red sky at night Shepherds delight, red sky in the morning Shepherds hut is on fire :shock: " :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Goldie & Wurzel,

You should have seen the effect a few minutes earlier, the redness was so intense that
the tree looked as though it had been on fire, and I was seeing the glowing embers.
Unfortunately by the time i had found my camera the best was over.
The camera is out of hibernation now, and ready to go !, ready for my first Butterfly
of the year. Spring start's in five day's time !! :D .

Trevor.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Your glass isn't just half full Trevor - it's positively overflowing! :wink: :lol: 5 days til Spring???? Everything is frozen solid here so I reckon it's more like 5 weeks :lol: Still, no harm in hoping........

trevor

Post by trevor »

I'm not sure when Spring start's for you Pauline. The optimists Spring starts on 1st March.
The pessimists Spring on or about 21st March. But if this cold wind keep's up the pessimists
may win this year :lol: .

Trevor.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

What ya doing sat in front of a pc on a gorgeous day like this Trevor? Don't y'know Spring has arrived! :wink: :lol: Better make the most of it cos it'll probably be winter again next week! :lol:

trevor

Post by trevor »

A morning of bright sunshine, yesterday, coupled with a cloudless sky,was all the
encouragement I needed to get out and hunt for my first Butterfly of the year.
Sadly, the wind had an icy bite to it and this alone put paid to any sighting.

As I sat taking in the view from my hill top vantage point, a male Chaffinch, with
the brightest pink breast,landed about 50ft away and provided an excuse to use
the zoom.

I also had the opportunity to take a view of a distant Windover Hill, an East Sussex
Butterfly hot spot, from where I sitting. My image shows the track, which starts from
the road on the left of the image, meandering it's way to the top.
The area of scrub visible in the top RHC of the image is a particularly good spot
for Butterflies.

Happy hunting,
Trevor
Attachments
P1190115.JPG
P1190114.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Take heart Trevor, the weather's to get warmer by the weekend (hope fully) Goldie :lol:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning looking country Trevor - almost as good as Dorset :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”