Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Maximus

Post by Pauline »

I'm getting so behind with these diaries so please excuse the late response Mike but those set of photos are absolutely stunning and it is quite clear just how much work went into the presentation and indeed the original shots. You must be well pleased with what you have achieved this year.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Hi Maximus,
I really like the photo montages, particularly your shots of the Purple Emperor. Just so that you know I am paying attention, you have put 3014 under the Purple Emperor instead of 2014 ! :)
I missed a grounded Purple Emperor this year partly due to me cocking up my holiday dates and the narrow window of opportunity presented. But its all a steep learning curve for me (and I love it). In Surrey I have seen White Admiral on dog faeces, Red Admiral, Holly Blue and Comma on Horse droppings. So it is not like I haven't looked. I was thinking of putting this video footage to music and calling it "Butterflies behaving badly" as a bit of fun. -Shhhh, don't tell anyone else and give them ideas....:)
Best wishes,
Philip

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Kind Regards,
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Wurzel, the Small White pupa was 2 weeks old and the Large White 3 days old.

Thank you for your kind comments Pauline, and yes 'well pleased' sums up our season beautifully, a really enjoyable spring/summer :D

Thanks Philip, you spotted my deliberate mistake, but will PE's still be around in a thousand years? Perhaps woodland will then be a thing of the past and the whole country will be covered in tarmac and concrete, so PE's extinct :( Great videos by the way of PE-PH, it's just like being there, much more so than any still photo can convey :D By the way I'll keep schtum about your BBB video idea :D

Orange-tips

Of the seventeen Orange-tip ova and larvae we rescued, (just in time) from a local footpath before the strimmers laid waste to the Garlic Mustard they inhabited, only one pupated the wrong way round! Number 16, the sixteenth larva to pupate!

IMG_6567.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_6569.JPGResize.JPG

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Although most sources suggest that (particuarly) first instar Orange-tip larvae can be cannibalistic, we did not witness this behaviour in any of those we reared. We also noted that female Orange-tip butterflies will lay additional eggs on food plants which already contain several eggs! The two larvae in the photo appeared quite happy to be in close proximity to each other, and several times crossed paths without incident, even appearing to be aware of each others presence. Eating as much Garlic Mustard as fast as possible seems to be their main priority!

IMG_2269.JPGResize.JPG

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

A couple more shots showing our Orange-tip first instar larva, on Garlic Mustard, from Spring 2014..

IMG_1920.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_1925.JPGResize.JPG

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

A totally pristine Speckled Wood seen in our garden this morning, no photos as it was six feet up, but watched it basking for quite a while through binoculars. Possibly a third brood individual given it's amazing condition.

David M

Post by David M »

Wow! That really is amazing. I just wish I could see any butterfly round my patch right now! :(

jenks

Post by jenks »

David M said "I just wish I could see any butterfly round my patch right now!"

Newport wetlands Goldcliff reserve yesterday, 17 Oct, had 2 Clouded Yellow ( though precious little flower for them to nectar on ) and 2 Red Admiral on the Ivy at the entrance to the reserve. Looking through my records this is the latest date I`ve seen CY. Several Common Darter and 2 Southern Hawker seen too.

Jenks.

David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for that, Jenks.

Off my Christmas list for sure :P

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots of the cats Mike especially the 2 pronged attack on the Garlic Mustard :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

We watched male Brimstone fly across the road in front of us today, and stopped to watch it flying along a side road :D Our first butterfly of the year was a Brimstone, perhaps it will also be our last!

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

The Orange-tip larvae that we rescued earlier this year have again given us a great insight into their behaviour as well as some fine photo opportunities. This pupa is in the process of casting off it's larval skin.

IMG_3641.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_3663.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_3688.JPGResize.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Interesting shots Mike, I can almost witness the wriggling :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Fascinating squence, Mike. It must have been a real pleasure to watch.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Cheers Wurzel and David, it did wriggle a lot. In the second shot the pupa is suspended only on the two silk threads in order that it may eject the larval skin, before re-attaching its rear end to the silk pad, shot three. It's a real pleasure to witness, one I will never tire of.

In this shot of the same larva commencing pupation, the embryonic wings are particularly visible. In my experience I have found that this is not always the case.

IMG_3706.JPGResize.JPG
IMG_3706.JPGc.JPGResize.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is incredible 8) - I never realised that they started to develop so quickly, I always imagined that they went in the pupae as a caterpillar and then the change happened.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

I believe it's along these lines Wurzel

Wing development
Last instar wing disk, Junonia coenia
Detail of a butterfly wingWings or wing pads are not visible on the outside of the larva, but when larvae are dissected, tiny developing wing disks can be found on the second and third thoracic segments, in place of the spiracles that are apparent on abdominal segments. Wing disks develop in association with a trachea that runs along the base of the wing, and are surrounded by a thin peripodial membrane, which is linked to the outer epidermis of the larva by a tiny duct.

Wing disks are very small until the last larval instar, when they increase dramatically in size, are invaded by branching tracheae from the wing base that precede the formation of the wing veins, and begin to develop patterns associated with several landmarks of the wing.

Near pupation, the wings are forced outside the epidermis under pressure from the hemolymph, and although they are initially quite flexible and fragile, by the time the pupa breaks free of the larval cuticle they have adhered tightly to the outer cuticle of the pupa (in obtect pupae). Within hours, the wings form a cuticle so hard and well-joined to the body that pupae can be picked up and handled without damage to the wings

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Interesting stuff Mike :D I'll have to read up on it even more over the winter :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Wurzel :D I've just started reading my copy of 'Butterflies' by E.B.Ford, which contains loads of information on this very subject (and more). I've had the book at least 35 years and have up until now only ever 'flicked' through it :roll:

Mike

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

In spite of the cool weather of late, two butterflies in our garden today :D The first was seen through the kitchen window, I first thought it was a falling leaf until it flew forward and landed near the water butt. Grabbed my camera and legged it down the garden and to my surprise it was a beautiful Peacock, wings open basking in the sun, the first Peacock I have seen since early August! Missed the shot as the sun went in and it took flight :roll: Later when returning from walking the dog I spied a Red Admiral basking in the front garden, next to the Bowles Mauve, in the shelter of the wall. Grabbed the now handy camera and this time got some shots :D When the sun made a brief appearance it took flight straight into a spider's web on the window. I effected a quick rescue and as the sun was now out it flew off strongly from my hand and was lost to sight right over the roof of the house :D

P1160960.JPGResize.JPG
P1160987.JPGResize.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”