Lee Hurrell

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Lee Hurrell

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks Vince :D

It's things like this that make it all worthwhile.

Best wishes,

Lee

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Nice report and excellent find Lee, really happy for you,

Cheers,

Neil F.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

It must be particularly satisfying when you visit an area that you think might harbour a certain species not hitherto publicly recorded and lo and behold it DOES turn up.

Your instinct served you well, Lee. All those years of dedicated studying have elicited a nice reward. You have every right to enjoy it.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks Neil and David.

It was indeed very satisfying and I will be keeping a check on them now I know they're there.

I also look forward to exploring many more new areas nearby - who knows what might turn up :)

Best wishes,

Lee

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A fantastic find Lee, looks like the leg work paid off :wink: Cracking shots too, the underside one is great :D I bet you're itching to get back there, I know I would be!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Ps I'll look into the bee...

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The bee could be a Colletes probably daviesanus

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Well done Lee. A self-found colony is worth three well-known.
Best Wishes, Neil

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks Wurzel (and for the bee ID) and Neil. I have to agree with you there, Neil.

Yes, I can't wait to go back and see them now!

Best wishes,

Lee

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Free bus pass today then ... :wink:

Have a great day.

Kind regards. Mark

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Happy Birthday Lee, hope you had a good one.

Neil F.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Indeed. Happy burfday, Mr Hurrell :)

David M

Post by David M »

Joyeux anniversaire, Lee.

You can't be that old, surely?

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Many happy returns of the day Lee, hope you have [or had ] a good one.

All the best,

Nick.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Happy belated B Day

Hope you had a goodun

Wurzel

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks all :D

I've had a cracking birthday, well, last few days really. It started on Friday night and was still going last night :D

No, not that old, David. By my calculations, I have 21 years to my bus pass...

Best wishes everyone,

Lee

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Things have been quiet of late, with personal reasons and the weather playing a part.

I think I've only seen one white butterfly in the last two weeks. I do have a little to report though:

Late one wet afternoon when the sun finally came out, I went back to check on the Grizzled Skippers but didn't see any at that time.

I've also been back to Green Hill and Shore Hill in Kemsing on a dreary day. No butterflies but I did discover Yellow Archangel in the woods, a very pretty flower I didn't know.

My first Swifts in London (last week) and in Wrotham (Mon 7th).

I was delighted to have a pair of Bullfinches and a Greenfinch in the garden weekend before last. The male Bullfinch was picking seeds from a dandelion head while the female watched on from a nearby perch. Two more new birds to the garden. I also watched a Greater Spotted Woodpecker from my back door this weekend. He was drumming away but made little sound - I think the wood was so wet.

On bank holiday Monday two of my neighbours and I went on a 5 mile circular walk on and above the downs near Otford. Once again the weather was rubbish but it had promised to cheer up a bit and it did brighten up eventually.

The route took us past some lovely habitat I'll be returning to later in the year; White Hill (Kent BC's flagship reserve) and Fackendown Downs. The main reason for the route though is to take in the breathtaking Darenth Valley. And it was stunning. On reaching the valley, as we sat on the slopes admiring the view the sun came out, almost as if it knew.

A magical place - I'll post a couple of photos later.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Unfortunately, due to computer problems, I won't be posting any photos for a while.

On the plus side though, last weekend I confirmed the presence of Dingy Skippers at my local Grizzled site :D

And even more on the plus side my Dad kindly bought me flights out to Spain for my birthday and I'm off this afternoon for some much needed sun, rest and hopefully a butterfly or two.

Back in a week :D

Lee

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Wrotham, June 2012
IMG_5423.JPG
IMG_5426.JPG
IMG_5429.JPG

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I have been quiet of late and there are many reasons, most of them personal. I have been through some major changes recently and continue to deal with the resultant fallout.

Suffice to say I have not been out in search of butterflies as much as normal. The weather of course has also not helped, with such a paucity of dry walking opportunities.

However, on Saturday, in intermittent torrential rain, I searched for His Imperial Majesty at Dene Park Wood near Tonbridge in Kent. I didn’t see Him of course, although He does reside there. The all too brief sunshine did bring a pristine White Admiral down to see me, which made my day.

I also saw 3 Comma, 5 Large Skipper, 15 Meadow Brown and 2 Ringlet, the latter two species the only insects flying in the dullness. At one point I was seeking shelter under dense tree cover with an umbrella, trying to keep dry. The chap that walked past with 3 dogs gave me a strange look, unsurprisingly.

In recent weeks I have confirmed Common Blue, Brown Argus, Small Copper, Small Heath and Meadow Brown in the fields below my local downs. An old Peacock was still flying on the 17th June too.

My week in Spain at the end of May was great and it was nice to go at a different time of year than before. I clocked up the following species:

Swallowtail
Scarce Swallowtail
Bath White
Small White
Large White
Clouded Yellow
Berger’s Clouded Yellow
Brown Argus
Small Copper
Geranium Bronze
Red Admiral
Painted Lady
Wall
Lulworth Skipper (surprisingly common)
Mallow skipper
Mediterranean Skipper

As before, photos will have to follow later.

This weekend I was surprised to see a pair of Ravens fly over the garden, their diamond shaped tail and distinctive call giving them away. Not a bird I’ve seen in west Kent before.

So I’m back, UKB friends. Be nice, I need you.

Lee

PS - I would like to thank Mark Colvin. He knows why.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to see you back Lee :D Looking forward to the Spanish photos too :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”