Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Work 08-09-2021

I debated about actually writing this one up as a post as the breeze viciously played with the Buddleia whipping it back and forth in a manner likely to rip it asunder. However there was one sighting which made it worthy of reporting…

The morning started off as usual with a brace of Small Torts holding on for dear life on feeding fitfully on the Spindly Buddleia outside the lab. And then out of nowhere a Painted Lady landed oh so briefly. I was in the middle of teaching when it alighted teasingly and so I was unable to grab my camera and get anything of it. Once it had gone I kept watch for the rest of the morning, glancing up occasionally or standing on the other side of the glass and gazing through mournfully whilst my charges beavered away. Over the course of my vigils 4 Small Torts landed at one point and then were followed by a brace and a Small White. Slightly later the Small Torts pulled ahead and it was 3:1 to the Small Torts. With five minutes to play before the final whistle/bell the Small Torts lost and the Small Whites gained one a piece finishing up at 2:2. However as the unpopular Law dictates when the bell did ring and I rushed outside camera at the ready only one stalwart Small Tort remained – clinging for dear life to the Buddleia which was now whipping through an arc of almost 180 in the ever strengthening wind.
08-09-2021 1.JPG
08-09-2021 2.JPG
Painted Lady tease
Small Torts are whipped in the breeze
And Whites claw one back

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

All I can say is it's a good thing there wasn't a Large Tort visible through that window!.
How easy are you to ' red herring ' ?. Our maths master was a doddle, get him talking
about his garden and it was possible to miss a whole lesson of calculus. :lol:

Hope Wilts will perform for the Easter hols.

Stay well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D I've actually gotten pretty good at deflecting the Herrings - in fact I use it myself with some of my older classes when they're desperately tying to get out early for lunch - "did you see the football last night?" is the most successful :wink: :lol:

Martin Down 12-09-2021

Another weekend and so another trip to Martin Down and hopefully I would catch up with a Cloudy as time was starting to run out – here we were half way through September and not even a sniff of a Cloudy! I started at the Main Car Park for a change and so quickly threaded my way along the narrow and winding footpaths before breaking out and climbing down in to the ‘Bowl’. As I snaked my feet along the rabbit runs that criss-crossed the grasses I paused at the bottom of the bowl. A large clump of yellow flowers were holding the attention of the butterflies. A Small White drifted effortlessly by like a feather carried on the breeze and it was this that had brought my attention to the clump. As I drew near a Chalkhill fed for a short while until it was chased it off by an Adonis. It completed a wide arc and then plonked back down on the lawn of yellow only to be chased away by one, then two and then three male Common Blues. I don’t know why but this was one unpopular butterfly! Once it had finally flown off to remove the flea from its ear the other blues settled down and one of the Common Blues looked absolutely stunning as it as it glittered in the September sun; a sapphire of the chalk.
12-09-2021 1.JPG
12-09-2021 2.JPG
I climbed up the other side of the Bowl and then started along the top of the Dyke scanning down on either side of me and watching for blues, oranges and maybe a yellow to pop out against the straw and green backdrop. Along the way Blues of various shades did indeed shine out from the vegetation as well as a Small Copper but unfortunately the only ‘white’ was still a white and not a Yellow in the form of a Green-veined White. I was still pleased to see it though and I climbed out of the Dyke and made my way back to the path chuffed that the Hotspot proved to be such in both spring and autumn.
12-09-2021 3.JPG
12-09-2021 4.JPG
12-09-2021 5.JPG
As I strolled along enjoying the sun on my arms a Small heath flew by and sat nicely for me on a seed head. With eyes raised and peering into the distance for anything mustard yellow I was left disappointed. There were good numbers of Small Heath about (9) along the side of the path however a slow realization dawned as I walked; there were so many Meadow Browns about. They were literally everywhere and scanning across the meadow they would fly up from the grass like little plumes of smoke. I stopped as a patch up tall purple flowers and they were crawling all over them. I tried counting them but it proved impossible as they would flutter from flower head to head and I’d be left scratching my head and starting again, the lowest figure I was sensibly able to count was 20 on one small patch. Even trying to get a shot and then counting later was proving difficult as there were so many I couldn’t pick the best place to shoot from. In the end I literally just pointed the lens, waited for the autofocus to beep and clicked. Looking back on it I can see 12-13 in this one shot but this isn’t representative as there were so many on either side and in front of the shot. After giving up on the counting I switched to looking out for interesting variations and managed to find some nice looking butterflies the star of the show being a female with lemon instead orange patches.
12-09-2021 6.JPG
12-09-2021 7.JPG
12-09-2021 8.JPG
12-09-2021 9.JPG
12-09-2021 10.JPG
Bemused by the bountiful showing of Meadow Browns I made my way further along the track and examined the two sunken fields behind the Butts and there was more of the same; plenty of Meadow Browns in both and the thinner turfed field at the foot of the Butt held more fading Blues. Then it’s up the side of Butt and I walk along the top with butterflies cascading down on either side of the steep banks. A flash of yellow immediately greets me but it’s more lemon than mustard and so if a male Brimstone whilst as the other end a lime female had me hoping it was a Helice but I couldn’t pull off the necessary imaginings to get it to happen. All the way along the top I’d spotted various little circular holes in the hardened chalky soil and as I carefully picked my way back down the Butt I was able to put a face to the burrow – it was more of the predatory bees that I’d encountered previously. Once back at a lower altitude I started searching the even thinner turfed field on the opposite of the Butt. By deploying a search pattern a little like a tractor ploughing I was able to find pretty much all that there was to offer. There were Small Heath, Chalkhill, Common and Adonis and the occasional Brown Argus yet here the Meadow Browns were almost as sparse as the turf. The Blues were in various stages of repair but the males were all battle scarred and more worn than the females, some of which still retained a smattering of electric blue scales over their wings. Some Chalkhills were even getting into Methuselah territory! The Small Heath were none too shabby which probably explained why they were such hard work, either that or they can hear well into a range that we can’t. I’d watch and then follow my quarry but each time I was just within range I’d need to kneel down to finish the final approach. This would mean bending my knees and every time my knee would almost be touching the deck up would fly the butterfly. In the end I took to walking on my knees and this seemed to work. I was also lucky enough to find a Frog Orchid pushing its way up through the only patch of reasonable vegetation in the whole field.
12-09-2021 12.JPG
12-09-2021 13.JPG
12-09-2021 14.JPG
12-09-2021 15.JPG
12-09-2021 16.JPG
12-09-2021 17.JPG
12-09-2021 18.JPG
It had now reached the time for me to start heading back and so, continually craning my head behind me in the vain hope of catching a glimpse of a
Cloudy, I started back. I took the main track towards the car park popping in briefly to the other sides of the sunken fields. I was able to add a fly-by Large White to the days tally and also found another pale Meadow Brown. Have they always been around in such numbers and I just haven’t noticed or was there something different in 2021 that meant there were more? Whilst pondering this I reached the Car Park having spooked a couple of Specklies on route which, had not been musing of Meadow Browns I might have been able to have got a few shots off. In fact so deep were my wonderings that my wandering had brought me back to the car early and so I nipped over for one last quick check of the Bowl which threw up a final Small Copper. None too shabby a trip even though I didn’t find my Cloudy but the season was definitely marching onwards with gusto! Mind you awaiting me on my return home was the joy of the weekly shop AND the joys of flat pack construction 
12-09-2021 19.JPG
12-09-2021 21.JPG
With it’s fading Blues
Martin Down marches onwards
On into Autumn

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

There's a distinct early autumn flavour to that post, Wurzel. Summer species are still flying, but they're looking a little careworn. And female Meadow Browns are opening up, a sure sign summer is coming to a close! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D There was definitely the feeling of winding down...and I still hadn't seen a Cloudy :? :? :wink:

Work

14-09-2021
Not an awful lot happened today but the Technology Tech dropped off an Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar that had been wandering across her driveway. I placed it in the old Stick Insect cabinet with some Rose Bay Willow Herb but it spent most of its time just wandering around and around the bottom of the tank. To my mind this meant that it would soon go into its cocoon and so I got a few photos of it whilst it was still a caterpillar. It was stretched out the whole time so the Grass Snake-esque cryptic patterning was shown off to reasonable effect although it looked like a snake that had been through a mangle.
14-09-2021 1.JPG
15-09-2021
A quick check in on Bob (this is my go-to name for everything from cars to pets) had me worried for a moment as he wasn’t there. But then towards the back of the case I spotted a silken web in the corner inside of which was a smooth almost black brown pupa. I didn’t want the relative warmth of the lab to bring him on too soon and so I scooped it into a plastic pot and placed it just outside the door with a warning label on it. Next spring I should be able to bring it in when the warmth of the lab shouldn’t make much difference to the emergence time. After that I reverted to the micro moths/butterflies and stepped out to do my morning Duty. There were two Red Admirals soaking up the early morning rays and a quick check of the Stumpy Buddleia revealed a Small Tort. The Spindly one was now past its best with only a single spear of flowers remaining. I kept an eye on Stumpy during the course of the morning as I had a couple of frees and the best count I had was two each of Small Torts and Small Whites and a singleton Red Admiral.
15-09-2021 3.JPG
15-09-2021 4.JPG
15-09-2021 5.JPG
15-09-2021 6.JPG
I was able to give a more thorough check later in the morning during break duty. I’d found the same numbers as my best count previously when a second Red Admiral appeared sat on the wall. It must have been in the ideal position as it was joined by a couple of other butterflies and they arranged themselves in a straight line down the length of the wall; Red Admiral, Small Tort and Red Admiral. They were in such a straight line a Plumb-line wouldn’t have found and inaccuracies.
15-09-2021 7.JPG
15-09-2021 8.JPG
15-09-2021 9.JPG
Unfortunately after break my timetable dictated that I was able to only keep the briefest of eyes on the activity outside the window as I was teaching for both lessons and the groups needed to be watched like a hawk. I did manage a single lingering glance through the pane when a Brimstone passing by caught my eye; the vivid yellow was bound to draw attention to itself but when I was able to get back out at lunchtime it was nowhere to be seen. However I didn’t mind as Stumpy was proving very popular with the butterflies and me as well. As its nick name suggests it only grew to mid torso height but what it lacked in height in made up for in girth and so offered much more nectar than Spindly plus the butterflies weren’t being thrown around in the slightest of breezes. Scattered across the plant were four Small Torts and hidden deep in the middle, almost buried in foliage was a Red Admiral.
15-09-2021 10.JPG
15-09-2021 11.JPG
15-09-2021 12.JPG
15-09-2021 13.JPG
Hiding Admirals
Elephant in the border
Typical work days

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Work 16-09-2021

I was on Duty today which meant plenty of time hanging around the entrances to the Technology and Science Blocks and necessitates time spent in the Quad :wink: . On my first circuit round I spotted a brace of Red Admirals perched vertically on the wall with all the haemolymph flooding to their heads! Luckily my second pass started in the Science Block so I was able to pick up my camera along the way. Due to the Law of Sod I expected there to be not a single butterfly in the whole of the Quad by the time I’d arrived back by the Stumpy Buddleia that is now in favour; especially as I was now prepared with my camera locked and loaded. However it seems that while you can’t break the Laws of Physics you can bust the Law of Sod for there were some butterflies fluttering around the Buddleia. Indeed the number had increased in the interim with the now more active Red Admirals being joined by a Small Tort and a Small White. After grabbing a few shots in between hollering “Out you go please” down each of the two corridors the bell I had to make another circuit and I dropped my camera off upon completion of lap three.
16-09-2021 1.JPG
16-09-2021 2.JPG
16-09-2021 3.JPG
16-09-2021 5.JPG
16-09-2021 6.JPG
16-09-2021 7.JPG
At lunch despite the Quad being busy I again ventured out and had a look in on the Stumpy Buddleia. Upon first glance I could see two Red Admirals and a Small White; so far so similar to break. However there was a second Small Tort which as I peered in more attentively was joined by a third. I almost missed it as it was feeding on the lower florets at the back of the plant. While I looked on at this individual or that pair of Small Torts another larger White caught my eye. It was indeed a Large White and so I stood back a little hoping that it would cease its glide, land and refuel for a while. It slowed and stalled, landed for just long enough for a single sip of nectar and then was gone again. I didn’t even get my camera raised to my eyes it was such a short pit-stop – Team McLaren would have been exceedingly proud of one that quick!
That was it as teaching ran into bus duty which ran into a Behaviour & Management Meeting which ran into a ‘Meet the Tutor Evening’ and by the time I left work the sun was sinking fast below the horizon and the butterflies were all tucked up in their roost.
A break time Duty?
More like a brief photo shoot
Large White Pit-stop King

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

I like your Katrina esque shot earlier!. Has she started a trend?.
Every time I look at it I find another Meadow Brown.

Hope you can cash in some brownie points this weekend, the forecast looks good! :D

Take care,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D I would be happy to call that shot Katrina-esque 8) Fingers crossed that they suddenly don't change the weather forecast; I need to catch up with a Comma :wink:

Work 17-09-2021

I wasn’t holding out much hope for seeing any butterflies during the day as it started gloomy and grey with mist and low lying cloud in the city centre which only cleared as I ascended the Devizes Road and made it to the top of the Plain. By Upavon the cloud had returned and whilst it was warm enough for the butterflies it looked like the dullness would keep them inactive in the roost. The little wind here was didn’t help as the cloud lurked and lingered long into the day and on into lunchtime. In between trips to and from the Staff Room I did spot a sole Red Admiral so I nipped back into the Lab and swapped paperwork for camera. The Spindly Buddleia is now the second choice of feeding stop as the lower growing Buddleia plays the part of usurper. It was to this short but rotund bush that I headed and there feeding surrounded by Year 8’s and 9’s was a/the Red Admiral. One of the pupils moved suddenly and the butterfly was off. It did a circuit along the edge of the roof of the block and then decided to have a breather on the window and then the facia of the Technology Block no doubt eagerly listening out for the bell at which time the Quad would witness and flurry of activity which would be followed by peace and tranquillity. In the meantime it had me stuffing my lens in its schnozz to contend with which it did with grace and dignity.
17-09-2021 1.JPG
17-09-2021 2.JPG
As the afternoon wore on and all ears were straining and willing the sounding of the bell the sun finally managed to finish eating up the cloud and it felt noticeably warmer. Once that beloved ‘drinnnngggg” rang out the pupils all hot-tailed it homewards and after a few moments the stragglers had left so myself and a Small White that I’d been keeping an eye for the closing minutes of the day had the Quad to ourselves. It kept fluttering low to the ground and landing momentarily on any flowers in the small triangles and oblongs of greenery around the edges of the main block. I guess it was looking for nectar as it didn’t shift its abdomen around when it paused and eventually it found something to drink so I was able to lean in and get a few shots.
17-09-2021 4.JPG
17-09-2021 5.JPG
It just goes to show
That even on a dull day
Keep your eyes peeled

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Autumn Red Admirals seem to be quite happy to have cameras thrust in their faces, don't they Wurzel! :) It was a great autumn for them round my way, and you seem to have had plenty as well. Not to mention the Torties, which I will always award a :mrgreen: for. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D They're certainly not shy in the Autumn - but come the spring I find them to be much more reticent :)

Martin Down 18-09-2021

Eventually we found the venue of the Yoga retreat and as I pulled into the car park to drop my wife off and make the dash across country to Martin Down a brace of Red Admirals basking on the side of the barn almost tempted me to tarry for a while. But no I was on a mission – the Oracle had confirmed “Clouded Yellow” so I coaxed my little engine car into thinking it was an oversized Muscle car and drove up and up and up the hills with the grasses swishing along the body work in some places. The trip from car park to car park only took 12 minutes and that was including three reverses back to a passing place – it seems that Range Rovers and Audis don’t have a reverse gear…

I parked at the Main Entrance as on two previous trips this was where a Cloudy had been seen hanging about and I walked through the little cutting and surveyed the Bowl before me. My plan today was to eschew the Dyke as despite the ton of butterflies that love the warmer and more sheltered micro climate its drawback is that it doesn’t offer views of the wide sweeping vista that makes up the vast majority of Martin Down. I hoped that by using the main paths and following the small tracks that branched off from them and cut across the ‘fields’ I’d get to see a greater number of butterflies and so maximise my chance of spotting a darting mustard Cloudy. In the Bowl itself plenty of Meadow Browns still played in the morning haze. As I strode along the first of the small tracks cutting across the first field behind the Butt and making my way towards the stony main path more and more Meadow Browns appeared out of the woodwork and clustered around clumps of flowers like savannah animals around the waterhole. A Large White and a Small White did fly-bys breaking the monotony of Meadow Browns.
18-09-2021 1.JPG
18-09-2021 2.JPG
As I crossed the stony path a flash of blue caught my eye and so I set off on another one of the tiny tracks. A Small Heath popped up and then there was a flurry of blue as some aged Adonis were beset by a marauding Common Blue. By the time I’d reached the large island of scrub a Small Copper had joined the mix. At this point I realised that because I’d been scanning across the fields seeking a Cloudy I’d neglected to get any shots of anything else so I set to rectifying this by investigating the little pocket clearing along the edge of the scrub island. The butterflies seemed to like this little inlets and coves and I manged to find a cracking Small Heath in one among the many Meadow Browns. It was in possession of a multitude of spots giving it the slight appearance of its Large cousin. It was behaving in typical Small Heath fashion though, waiting for me to get in close before it flew a short way away. Each time I’d be in position and ready to kneel to get perfectly in line it would off. Once I’d actually managed a few shots (I caught it out by shuffling along already on my knees WINK) I backed up and worked my way back to the edge of the scrub island with a Red Admiral leading the way out like a pilot tug. A Small Copper was marking its territory at the edge of the scrub; seeing off any of the Blues – which now including a ghostly Chalkhill. None of the Blues would sit still for long enough if at all so instead I waited for the Small Copper to return to one of its surveillance perches.
18-09-2021 4.JPG
18-09-2021 5.JPG
18-09-2021 6.JPG
After this I again made for the main stony path, crossed it and worked my way along the bank in the second field. As I walked I again scanned both far and wide across the reserve as well as looking closer in. Under my feet the odd Adonis Blue would fly up, Meadow Browns were still the dominant species and every now and again something slightly different would pop up. A Chalkhill bombing along the side of the bank, its vigour belying the poor state of repair and age induced wear of the wings, a tiny Brown Argus looking even smaller than usual as it was bald of fringes and in the corner another Small Copper which was possibly the same one that I’d seen here on previous trips? A Small White dropped in and looked beautiful as it was backlit with its abdomen showing through shadow like but frustratingly it choose a fragile bloom to nectar from and so in even in the slightest whisper of breeze it rocked forward and back so fiercely that focusing was almost a virtual impossibility. It was then that a Small Tort also dropped out of the sky. It too made a poor choice in terms of perch but I didn’t mind too much as Work had provided me plenty of opportunities for this species.
18-09-2021 7.JPG
18-09-2021 8.JPG
18-09-2021 9.JPG
18-09-2021 10.JPG
With the Second field searched I climbed up and out and walked along the path which has the third field on one wised and the Dyke on the other. As I climbed down into the final field with the Butt towering overhead I spotted more Meadow Browns as well a little flashes of blue which turned out to be mainly Adonis but also the odd Common Blue male chasing a female. I was wondering which of this to have a go at photographing when a Meadow Brown showed up which didn’t look right. The normal brown ground colour was muted, almost grey-brown and the orange flash was white. I think that as this is at the extreme end of variation it classes as an aberrant; ab.alba? It flew and landed several times, most of which there were blades of grass either across the wings directly or casting their shadows. So I’d get a record shot and then wait for something to annoy it or pester it and then I’d follow it to the next stopping place. It was interesting to see that it was invariably moved on by one of the Blues which were displaying ‘small dog syndrome’ but this was fortuitous for me as I managed to get a range of shots eventually ending with an unobscured topside view.
18-09-2021 11.JPG
18-09-2021 12.JPG
Pleased with this I’d stepped up out of the Dyke which is at its shallowest just before the Butt and was just about to investigate the aforementioned looming landscape feature when a friendly Labrador led me into a conversation with its owners. Normally I’d rue any interruption of my quest but the couple were so interested and their dog so gentle that I stopped and chatted awhile. After a while, each wishing the other luck, we headed off on our separate ways; them back to car park and home and me to the Butts. I’d taken four or five steps when a mustard flash cut across my vision, veered vertically up the corner bank of the Butts and then dropped down the other side. A Cloudy! And to think if I’d just mumbled a good morning to the couple I’d have probably missed it! Clicking my camera on I ran across to the sloping end of the Butt and rounded the corner. There it was so I clicked a few record shots before it was off again. I’d forgotten how fast they are – like the butterfly Lamborghini and it zigged and zagged across the steep side of the Butts. I tried to watch it to see if it landed but it looked like it was making for perpetual motion so I started my way up and across the Butt barley managing to keep it in sight let alone keep up with it. It reached the top and then dropped out of view so I clambered up and looked down. The other side of the Butt is covered in vegetation with only a few patches of turf and flowers s I looked at these hoping to spot it again but alas it was gone. Still I’d seen one and got a record shot so consoling myself I carried on walking along the top of the Butt. About half way along on the original side there it was again, the underwing standing out vividly as it was backlit. The problem I had now was that I was at the top and so if I tried to approach gravity would be giving me a helping hand in getting down and I was a little shaky from the blood racing after the initial sighting. Gingerly I started down using a precarious version of the click step. But just as I was making good progress it finished its meal and moved on – luckily not too far away so I was able to keep up and then down and around it so that by kneeling on the side of the Butt I was level with it. Brilliant!
18-09-2021 13.JPG
All too soon it was off again so I made my way down and gathered my thoughts. Just as I was wondering what to do next it reappeared at the foot of the Down. It's like they can teleport as it had moved off in totally the opposite direction and I’d been staring spot it was in and it hadn’t been there previously. Almost as soon as I saw it it was gone again so now I dove down into the thinly turned field and sat in some shade to check back though my shots. Even more chuffed with the outcome I emerge back into the sun and start to wander along the Dyke. There it was again and this time it was a bit better behaved.
18-09-2021 14.JPG
18-09-2021 15.JPG
18-09-2021 16.JPG
18-09-2021 17.JPG
With my quest completed I started back to the car park so that I could pick my wife up from her Yoga morning. I wandered slightly dazed across the thinly turfed field with Brown Argus and Small Heath stopping as well as few of the female blues. The Frog Orchid was still standing and there were also a few spectral Chalkhills flitting about on their last legs. Somehow I reached the main track to the car park, I can’t remember how really as the memory of Cloudy encounter was replaying and replaying. On the main track the old and the new were basking on the track. The new was a fresh and vivid Comma and was the closest of the two, it was so twitchy that I could only manage a distant record shot. The old was a Specklie which only took to the air when my boot was a few centimetres/an inch above it. Then it was load up and ship out to once more cut my way along the narrow country lanes. With these safely negotiated (only two reverses necessary – do Range Rovers actually have a reverse gear?) I took a quick stroll around the farm while I waited for my wife to finish her ‘reflection journal’ and a Brimstone sat patiently for me although to be honest I was still thinking about a different shade of yellow.
18-09-2021 18.JPG
18-09-2021 19.JPG
18-09-2021 20.JPG
18-09-2021 21.JPG
Cluster of visits
Culminates in a Cloudy
A mustard sprinter

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

That was a great culmination of your quest, Wurzel! A close approach to a Cloudie makes the summer complete somehow. :)

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Good that you got your Cloudie. They are not so difficult to track down in my area,
so yours is a real prize that far inland.
Your Brimstone shot could have been taken yesterday, nice image!.

Can we say ' we're off ' yet ?.
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D It kept me waiting but meant that my season was elongated :D
Cheers Trevor :D "Your Brimstone shot could have been taken yesterday" if only - they're giving me the run around so far :roll: But I reckon, yes, we can say "we're off!" - flying out of the blocks to be fair :D 8)

Larkhill 22-09-2021

It had been an absolute age since I’d last called in at Larkhill; in fact I couldn’t remember the last time (as opposed to the well known Pulp song) when I’d actually visited the original car park site. So I turned off and pulled in as close to the massive white blocks as I could and set off across the broken car park cum lay-by. As I wandered across the cracked concrete many memories came back to me. There were the good times – chatting with the Travelers each solstice and enjoying their delight as I pointed out some butterflies, there were the Small Blues and also stopping here with the girls to show them Common Blues on the Golden Rod. As I enjoyed the reminiscence the odd black cloud of a bad memory popped up although I was obviously trying to forget these as they were brief and a bit foggy; dodgy scrap merchants tearing my car with the corner of their massive trailer, the French campers that emptied their Port-a-loo all over the best patch of wildflowers and of course the Police getting narky with the same friendly travellers and me during the Solstices. This brought me back down to earth with a bump and so I got back to looking for butterflies…

As my car was more abandoned than parked I didn’t want to go too far and tried to keep it in sight so I stuck to the start of the North and West paths opting for the North first. All looked quiet and I couldn’t see any wildflowers which the butterflies would be frequenting but there was a Common Darter sitting on a Hawthorn twig. It was starting to go grey and had the look of a damaged and battered Iron Man to my mind. As I left it surveying its territory a Meadow Brown caught my attention and led me down the start of the East/West Track. I promptly lost it as it pulled an evasive manoeuvre and flapped weakly up and up until it cleared the stand of Hawthorns and then disappeared on the other side. As I was about to head back and call it quits a Small Heath popped up to persuade me to give the site another chance. As if to ram home the message a tatty male Common Blue flew in from my left and then proceeded to chase the Small Heath away. Job done it perched down low and regained its composure. While I was here I tried to check large patch of Golden Rod but in the time since I’d last visited the Hawthorn had formed an impenetrable screen around the patch and it was difficult to even see across the tops of the vivid yellow flowers.
22-09-2021 1.JPG
22-09-2021 2.JPG
22-09-2021 3.JPG
So instead it was back across the car park and I once more checked out the edge of the North Track. The Common Darter was still there although this time it seemed to be considering switching to vegetarianism and having a chunk out of a berry. I left it in its existential angst and strolled back towards my car across the weather torn tarmac. As I did a Meadow Brown flashed by and disappeared once more into the trees but in its place was a smaller, grey butterfly flitting about. As I stalked it I could see that it was a slightly tired female Common Blue – they grey colour coming from the worn under wing and the blue scales on the topside particularly those around the lunules on the hind wings.
22-09-2021 4.JPG
22-09-2021 5.JPG
It was flying between the tiny groups of flowers they had forced their way through the road surface and somewhere along the way I lost it and then relocated it…only it wasn’t the butterfly it was a totally different one. This one was in much better nick and as she perched in the long grass I could see that the leading lunules on the fore wing had been replaced with blue dashes instead of orange and this variation was pleasing to the eye.
22-09-2021 7.JPG
So vowing to return I left her in peace and continued on homewards.

Old Larkhill stop-off
Memories come flooding back
Make some good new ones

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The Devenish 26-09-2021

I should really have been strolling along Boscombe Prom scanning the undercliff and hoping to catch-up with a Helice Cloudy (one of the 5-7 that’s been recorded here over the last few days). Indeed that had been the plan since Thursday, there had been various minor adjustments; moving the day from Saturday to Sunday so I could get curtain rails up with my dad during the dull weather on Saturday, the numbers kept decreasing until eventually I would have been heading down by myself (or maybe with Philzoid) and then there was the timing moving from first thing to around lunchtime to make the most of the maximum sun. However that all went to pot come Friday. During lunch I popped down to the local filling station as the tyre pressure warning light had come on during my journey to work. When I went to pulled in I had to queue and all six pumps were queued up 4 deep. Then when I got home there were tales over Facebook of people queuing for almost an hour in the petrol stations in Salisbury. So on Sunday morning I cancelled my trip as that would mean another journey to work and back before I’d need to brave the queues and attempt to fill up again. So instead of seeking out Cloudies I instead headed to The Devenish to seek out whatever was left flying there!

I started my visit in the Small Paddock craning my head backward as far as it would go to take in the tall dead tree that plays host to a mass of Ivy. Fluttering around near the top I could see two Red Admirals and as I continued watching one detached from the tree and glode down in a series of gentle arcs like a leaf falling instead of a butterfly actively flying. It perched just long enough for me to spot it and take a few record shots. I stood back and watched it motor off not looking anything like a falling leaf anymore and then got comfy leaning on the gate. Standing still my silhouette didn’t alter and so I became almost invisible to the butterflies. As I stood motionless I watched the two Red Admirals interacting, chasing each other about between patches of Ivy in adjacent trees, a Comma saw one off when it got too close, a Brimstone passed by on a mission and a Specklie remained up high enough to be out of reach of my lens. Calmed I set off once more and made my down the Tunnel Path and across Orchid Meadow where a couple of Whites passed by in the distance. Up the side of the Down and on the corner of the path where it opens up a Comma was sitting basking in the sun.
26-09-2021 1.JPG
26-09-2021 2.JPG
From here I girded my loins and made my way along the treeline at the foot of the field. It was hard going on my ankles as the longer grasses at this time of year inconveniently mask the undulations and rabbit holes so visible during the spring with its shorter sward height. After several jars to the ankles I paused for a breather to give them some respite and scanned ahead of me along the remaining pinky-purple tops of the Hemp Agrimony. A Green-veined White passed me by but that was it so I pressed on to the gully at the end. A Red Admiral took off from a perch on the side of a tree and headed back the way I’d just come so cursing I retraced my stumbles, trips and near falls before managing to relocate and somehow sneak up on it. It was worth all the knocks and bumps as she was stunning, beautifully fresh with chocolate and ginger hues edging the black ground colour in places. I followed her back into the Gully where she made a few more stops. The final time she flew off a Specklie plopped down as a replacement and then a Large White caught my attention. It was way more twitchy than those I’d seen in the Spring. A Small White drifted down the hill but there was no way that I was going to follow it now that I was almost at the top of the Down.
26-09-2021 4.JPG
26-09-2021 5.JPG
26-09-2021 7.JPG
26-09-2021 8.JPG
The first small field at the top of the Down was bare of butterflies until I reached the very top. In times past the Brambles grew right up and along the fence here but recently someone had cut them back so now it was possible to walk along from the first field straight to the second. So I tried out this new route although there was only a Red Admiral and a Darter to see on the way. The second top field was also bereft of butterflies and so I cut along the diagonal path to check out the foot of the Down once more and once more I scanned ahead checking out the Hemp Agrimony that remained intact and on this pass I got lucky as a little ginger leaf didn’t look right perched at a jaunty angle amid the tufts of candyfloss pink petals. It wasn’t a leaf at all and as I got in closer it resolved into a Small Copper. From this nice sturdy perch it of course took off and sought out the thinnest and most easily wafted grass stem so the slightly murmur of the breeze and it was rocking forward and backwards frenetically and sending my autofocus into overdrive. Luckily it started to feel a bit nauseous and so sought out a sturdier perching spot. Chuffed I carried on with the scanning and carried on with the stumbling and twisting of my ankles before another ginger butterfly stood out like a sore thumb against the light pick background. This time it was a Comma and once it moved to some greenery I was able to approach, crouching low to the ground so my outline didn’t show up against the skyline.
26-09-2021 9.JPG
26-09-2021 10.JPG
26-09-2021 11.JPG
After this I found myself back in the Gully where the first Comma was joined by a second and a Small White actually sat still for more than 5 seconds as it supped nectar from one of the few remaining yellow flowers at the edge of the Gully. In the Gully itself the Red Admiral was still around but it had been joined by a large Dragonfly. It zipped up and down a few times and seemed to want to land down in the vegetation but like a Huey touching down in Nam it wasn’t down for very long. At one point it did stop, clinging/hanging from the end of a small branch. I managed to get close enough to get an impression of it being green and fired off a few shots although the breeze picked up just as I got it into focus (as per usual). After this brief stop it was up and away hurtling through the sky one minute and clipping the tops of the grass the next. With a final flourish I watched is disappear down the slope through another newly cleared area at the foot of the Gully. This part of the reserve had been impenetrable before and the most you could do was stare through the dense vegetation at lines of trunks entangled and wrapped in bramble and briar. Now some of the trees had been thinned back and the bramble removed. Slipping and sliding I made my way down but there was only a pair of Specklies to offer any recompense for more twisting of the ankles and jarring of the hips and knees.
26-09-2021 13.JPG
Just for ID purposes...
Just for ID purposes...
26-09-2021 15.JPG
Wearily I climbed my way back up and kept going until I was out of the Gully and striding up the diagonal track towards the gate and the Middle Down. This was probably the quietest part of the entire reserve and as I did a giant and slow U-turn descending the Down in the process I saw only two butterflies; a distant Small White at the top and upon completion of my route down a Red Admiral high up in some Ivy next to the stile. As the Red Admiral was out of reach I hopped over the stile and almost rolled down the steep bit of track into Orchid Meadow. This was also pretty quiet butterfly wise – the sheep having grazed it successfully meant that there were very few nectar sources remaining but at least the track was easier on the knees than the Down. At the far end a Silver Y shot off as they so often do and a Specklie played in the branches of the trees on the other side of the fence. Upon my return a Comma did a few circuits around and under the overhang of the large tree but the real highlight popped up just after this. There was a shimmer and a shine in the air which I’ve come to associate with the wings of a Dragonfly catching sunlight and sure enough there was the Dragonfly. I watched as it did a few of those jinky runs that they love so much and then it landed. I bounded over to it and started dancing the Click-step – it was a Golden Ringed!
26-09-2021 16.JPG
26-09-2021 17.JPG
After this show stopped it was back to business as usual as I did a final check of the Small Paddock. The Specklie had morphed into three which pursued each other fiercely across the Paddock, none them it seemed knew who was chasing who or who was supposed to be running away and so the carried on in a bemused ball of rage before disappearing into the trees. The large Ivy tree had a single Comma on it, the Red Admirals were about now and again and the place was alive with Ivy Bees, all flying low to the ground and the hum was incredible. So ended my trip and as I pulled out of the car park I couldn’t help thinking that there was a definite air of the beginning of the end?
A petrol shortage
Meant no Cloudy seeking for me
See what’s left instead

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

The first dragon is a Southern Hawker, the second is, as you say, Golden-ringed.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the ID Matsukaze :D

The Devenish 09-10-2021

We’d had a poor run of weather since my previous outing with some early Autumnal storms striking hard with torrential rain. I’d been stuck at work and the two Buddleia in the Quad had passed over and were now bereft of florets. In way I hadn’t minded too much as the actual ‘work’ at Work had been hectic beyond belief so I didn’t really have a chance to get out with my camera. A few Red Admirals and the odd White had passed by the window and so I was left wondering if this was it for the year? Then the unusual happened; when the weekend arrived it brought with it warmer weather and offered some respite from the cooler than average weather. So to make the most of it we piled into the car for the 5 minute drive to The Devenish. As we crossed the Orchid Meadow nothing flew and this state of affairs continued until we reached the top of the tunnel path as it opened up at the foot of the Down when a Hawker flew past at shoulder height, gave us all the once over and then disappeared to the top of some nearby trees.

Unperturbed we carried on up the Down and on through the Hanger Wood with Bronchi heaving and calves burning from the fierce ascent. Onwards we walked through the trees as they became more and more skeletal and out across the back with the fields visible through the denuding trunks. As we started the final descent my niece pointed out a Wood Mouse on the side of the path. Something wasn’t quite right with it as it allowed us to approach it and have a closer look. Worried that it would become easy pickings if left exposed I found a large Dock leaf and carefully cajoled it back into the foliage at the side of the track. We started off again but I only made it a few steps before I was stopped and staring into the bushes. A Red Admiral was fussing over some Ivy on the other side of the track and so I zoomed in for some shots. Happy I slowly backed out of the hedge and a second unseen Admiral took off.
09-10-2021 1.JPG
09-10-2021 2.JPG
09-10-2021 3.JPG
09-10-2021 4.JPG
09-10-2021 5.JPG
After this little pause I caught up with others at the crossroads and we all ambled along the avenue making our way to the open fields. As we passed the log pile I mentioned to K that this looked like a good spot for butterflies as they’d appreciate the open surroundings, the stack of wood to bask on and handy little crevices for safely roosting in or maybe to check out ready for hibernation. Around the base of the stack the nettles ran in a line to the next tree in the avenue which was encrusted with Ivy so here was a laid on all you can eat buffet and a maternity ward. And there were the butterflies – Red Admirals four of them, two clambering on the nettles, one on the old grass and the fourth basking atop a log. Of course as I prepared my camera they made to leave with only the one on the straw staying put.
09-10-2021 6.JPG
The route then took us out across the field and once on the other side we turned onto the narrow path back up the hill which was bordered tightly by the tall hedge on either side. About half way along a Red Admiral was seemingly hemmed in and looking for a way out. It took some time out to replenish its resources while it tried to work out how to escape from its verdant cage. Slightly further along a fading Specklie put in its final appearance. We followed the path along the top of the Down parallel to the Devenish but with only a distant white to show for the trek. Then we revisited the path back into the reserve proper and the Wood Mouse had gone when I checked again so perhaps it had had a lucky escape and we’d encountered it as it was shaking itself together? The final leg was back through the Beech Wood and down the wooden steps and like the first leg it was bereft of butterflies but I didn’t mind as it was nice to get out and feel the sun against my back and notice the cooling as we dove back into the shade.
09-10-2021 7.JPG
09-10-2021 8.JPG
09-10-2021 9.JPG
Autumn put on hold
But no summer butterflies
Only the stalwarts

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Garston Wood 10-10-2021

With scrunching of leaves underfoot, hoarse, harsh and hidden calls from the local Squirrels and when there was a lull in conversation from the girls the occasional soft ssrrrr as a leaf abscised from above and slid to rest among an ever growing pile there was a definite feeling of Autumn. This however wasn’t apparent from the weather which was looking like being another dry and very warm day, well warm for October. I didn’t hold out much hope for butterflies though as the size of the walk that we were undertaking and the sheer number of Ivy bushes available to them meant that the butterflies could be widely spread and if I did find one I’d have exceedingly limited time with it as the others weren’t likely to stop.

The car park was full to the brim as we set off but all was quiet in the wood. After venturing into the butterfly enclosure the reason for the popularity became clear – there was a coppicing works party scheduled for the day and we nodded as we passed them enjoying a breather and their lunch. All too soon we’d left the confines of the wood behind and had ventured out across the fields, the footpath having been obliterated when the latest crop had been sown. I scanned ahead and on the far side of the field, beyond the party of Mipits and Pied Wagtails, a solitary white flew the length of the Holly Hedge. I kept my eye on it and as we approached the farmhouse it actually landed rather than continuing backwards and forwards in a never ending search pattern. Two shots were all I could grab unfortunately as it was even more jittery and slightly less approachable than the neurotic spring brood.
10-10-2021 1.JPG
Onwards we stomped and after stopping for lunch we entered the village of Deanland and at the end of the track on the corner at the entrance of Chase Woods a Red Admiral swiftly buggered off the moment I’d trained my lens on it. Still it was heartening to know that they were still about and so we dove down into the woods. I reckoned that my best bet would be to get ahead of the group and scan any clumps of Ivy. Sure enough it worked as on the second clump a Red Admiral went up. It flew strongly upwards and looked for a moment to be exiting the scene but eventually it came back and landed in an even better position. The idea to get ahead also paid off as by the time I’d gotten my shots the group had caught up and were only a few steps ahead of me.
10-10-2021 2.JPG
10-10-2021 3.JPG
10-10-2021 4.JPG
As we progressed the scenery changed from open woodland exposed and laid bare from coppicing to dense thickets with narrowing paths that seemed to just dwindle away up the hills to nothingness. A Brimstone caught my eye just as we disappeared into the trees and then with the shade encroaching the temperature dropped and we all put our best feet forwards. I would say that the walk from here became quite quiet but only in terms of the butterflies as there were more harsh calls from the Squirrels, more scrunching of leaves under foot which muffled the plinking noise as a boot caught a protruding chert of flint that over time had worked its way ever upwards to break forth into the path as well as the occasional plaintive sub-song from a passing birds or a ‘zitting’ call. Finally the path reached its zenith and we started the descent and though we were still crowded in by the trees they were starting to thin slightly and evidence of coppicing became more and more apparent until we broke out from the shade and the silencing effects of the wood. In the break in the path for a driveway to a local farm the sun shone strongly and while we all warmed up a little a tired and aged Specklie played in the soft glow of the afternoon sun. It seemed quite fitting that despite the Indian Summer we were experiencing Autumn and the butterfly was in the autumn of its life.
10-10-2021 5.JPG
So we set off up the final hill whose track would eventually bring us out back in Garston. On our left was a thin sliver of dense wood with ancient and gnarled trees whilst on our right it was much more bucolic with cattle lowing and judging by their stockiness and small udders these were for beef. They’d eaten their way round the various clumps of bramble and in between the stands there were paths and tracks that offered wonderful microhabitats sheltered from all breezes and bathed in sun. In this field alone I saw more butterflies than on the rest of the entire walk. First up were a pair of male Brimstones having a bit of a scrap – about what I’m still not sure, then there were a brace of Specklies having a bit of a barney before solitary sightings of a Red Admiral (high up on some Ivy), Brimstone (anther male) and Specklie (also high up but sitting and watching the world go by).
On the final stretch when what I was thinking about was a nice cup of coffee a Specklie broke me free from the wistful fancies as it cut across the track in front of me and tore off down the hill. I watched it as it passed reckoning that it would soon disappear off into the woods on the other side of the fence. But no it landed on a leaf and sat still to bask. It looked like it was putting its wings up after a busy afternoon – which I found appropriate as that’s what I too did once I’d gotten back home! Hopefully there might still be a few trips left to make this year but if not this felt like a pleasent one to go out on.
10-10-2021 6.JPG
Scrunch and plink and ssrrrr
Sounds on an autumnal walk
Some butterflies too!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

You've got some fantastic shots Wurzel, can't say which I like the best :D I'm looking forward to seeing your April 1st post that's always great :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D I hope this lives up to expectations :wink:

April 2022

Here's hoping for plenty of these when the Spring returns!
04 2022.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic Wurzel, :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”