Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Wurzel

Post by trevor »

I always think February is on the Spring side of the Winter months.
Spring bulbs are starting to bloom, and this month usually turns up a few butterflies.

There's still time for some nasty weather, but fingers crossed!.

Stay well,
Trevor.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I went to my Grandsons house at the beginning of the week, it was a cold windy day, I didn't take my camera, wish I had the Snow drops in his garden were every where :D

My Birthdays next week and when I'd my house the Snowdrops never failed to come out for it :D so it was great to see them :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D Looks like we're in for at least one little arctic blast :? but hopefully then we'll start seeing the Small Torts :D
Cheers Goldie :D Happy B'Day for next week! :D I'm also a February baby :wink: 8) and on some years I get a Butterfly sighting for my B'Day pressie, fingers crossed for this year :D

Middle Street 23-08-2021

Little L had finished reading her book, spent an hour or so journaling, done some painting, made some origami butterflies and hung them from the ceiling over her bunk and made some flapjack so now had a free afternoon…To stave off the grand ennui we made for Middle Street (her choice) with a nature tick list I’d hastily knocked together; 3 Butterflies, 2 Moths, Dragonfly, Damselfly, Beetle, 5 Birds and a Bee! It was going to be a little difficult though as the cloud had swallowed the sun and there was a slight threat of rain in the air but it was this or Little L rattling round the house and hassling everyone in between loud sighs and exclamations of “I’m bored!”

On the walk over there were plenty small shoals of fish diving in and out of the plants that lined the channel to the left of the Town Path. The meadows were full of Jackdaws and one of the Cathedral Peregrines passed over head as we passed the Old Mill. A Chaffinch ‘pinked’ away in the garden opposite the Mill Inn, a nearby buddleia held both a Small White and a Small Tortoiseshell and just round the corner from the pub a Red Admiral shot by. This meant that all three butterflies were ticked off and we hadn’t even stepped over the threshold of the reserve; according to the Law of Sod I hadn’t gotten a single shot of any of them! As we stepped though the little gate a Brace of Magpies (two for joy!) and a Blackbird meant that the Birds were completed as well and an errant Specklie flitted in and out of the line of trees; it obviously hadn’t got the message that the Butterflies were done as well and when Little L pointed that fact out it disappeared from view, once again I hadn’t got a shot off.

We followed the path that skirted the football pitch and made for the far end, I was confident that we should get the moths and the pond might have the dragon/damselflies but I was not sure how we’d find the beetle? Once we’d reached the end we split up, Little L up high on the bank path and me wading through the lower track, eyes peeled for a beetle of some description. A few Hoverflies and turned up and a diminutive solitary bee stopped for a few shots so Little L was able to tick off another line form her list. Whilst I was enjoying this a Meadow Brown and a Hedgie braved the gloom.
23-08-2021 1.JPG
23-08-2021 2.JPG
23-08-2021 3.JPG
With over half the List ticked off we carried on alongside the river and when the tunnel of trees opened out as we neared Dip 1 a Dragonfly passed us by busy on its hunting circuit (tick) so we kept on going past the pontoons and on down into the reeds near the pond. While we sought out a Beetle or Damselfly and enjoyed the play of the reeds as they brushed against our out stretched fingers we flushed up a few Moths; one was a Lacuna; another that surprisingly paused for a photo op was a Common Carpet and the third was a miniscule Mint Moth. While I tried for a shot of this and found a strangely angled snail Little L took great delight in the tiny red and black beetles that walked along the arched reeds like they were crossing a humpback bridge.
23-08-2021 4.JPG
23-08-2021 5.JPG
23-08-2021 6.JPG
23-08-2021 7.JPG
We pressed on eagerly scanning all the vegetation; just a Damsel to go! On round to the other side of the pond we went, no Damsel on the reeds near the river, no Damsel by the bridge, nothing in the usual hotspot field and when we doubled back to check the little hollow on the other side of the pond still no Damsel. As if to offer some consolation a pair of Specklies, both in great nick, entertained us for a while and then we started back. We were almost home when I spotted something a little unusual and so showed Little L what I think is a ‘Polish Swan’. These are colour morphs of Mute Swan which when a cygnet are white and not grey but in the adult they’re harder to recognise. Luckily this one was out of the water and so the grey not black legs were really obvious. A nice end for a none too shabby a trip; perhaps the Damsel had snuck past us or perhaps it was a little late for them; regardless it was great to get out with Little L, who perhaps needs a new nick name maybe ‘Not quite so Little L’?
23-08-2021 8.JPG
23-08-2021 9.JPG
23-08-2021 10.JPG
Out with a Tick List
To stave Little L’s boredom
The Damsel escaped.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Engaging reports as always Wurzel. Love the Feb calendar also - I particularly look forward to seeing the first small torts out of hibernation. Even at the end of Feb they can be fully focused and looking to get on with things - a boost for us all as we emerge from winter…..
trevor

Post by trevor »

A couple of respectable Specklies there Wurzel.
I always look forward to the first Specklie sightings, but when numbers have built
they can become a pain by challenging everything that enters their air space.
Including butterflies lined up in my view finder!.

Never mind, all part of the challenge!. Stay well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Ben :D I do get a bit greedy with first set of Small Torts and end up with memory cards full of them :shock: hopefully I might be able to get my first sighting in a week or two 8)
Cheers Trevor :D I know what you mean about Specklies :roll: In fact :roll: almost all the Browns are like that with the exception of Grayling which are usual on the receiving end of a spooking from Meadow Browns, Hedgies or Small Heath :roll: :)

Shipton Bellinger 26-08-2021 Part 1

At the end of August Shipton is alive with Brostreaks; there are a few tired looking males, worn and withered but the majority are glorious females looking to safely offload their precious cargo and so meet their biological imperative whilst ensuing that we have something to photograph the following season. However they do like a bit of a lie-in and so when I arrived on this occasion it was a little bit too early for them. Hence after the initial meet and greet the hedge was given a quick once over and we moved off up the hill to seek out the Walls in their usual haunts and also to see if Philzoid could relocate a particular moth for his mates son. On the way there were Red Admirals and a few Small Heath and when we came to the first break in the trees a Wall shot by us. As this was one of the targets we hung around and waited to see if it would come back. While we waited the Whites kept us occupied as a few Brimstones and a Green-veined White fluttered around over the longer vegetation.
26-08-2021 1.JPG
26-08-2021 2.JPG
We followed the break round and out across the top of the Down and along the line of scrub that marked the boundary between the main track and the ‘field’. As we walked another Wall shot by, this one was bigger and gave the overall impression of being much more orange. I guessed that it was a female and so with thorns scratching at my boots I started carefully threading my way through the vegetation to confirm my suspicions. After a few moments I managed to relocate it amid the tangle of vegetation. It proved to be trickier at times than the males as they often patrol along a certain route and so you can just sit and wait for their eventual return. This female was flying with no set pattern, plopping down here and there wherever there were small patches of exposed earth. With some careful stalking and a considerable amount of eye strain I managed to get in close enough for a few shots. Then it was a matter of keeping watch whilst the others approached to that they could have their turn.
26-08-2021 5.JPG
26-08-2021 6.JPG
26-08-2021 7.JPG
With a definite Wall and shots in the bag we picked our way back through to the thinner and softer turf of the first scallop. As things had warmed up more and more butterflies had come out to play. There were Common Blues, Peacocks and Brown Argus flying frenetically about and getting into all kinds of scrapes and scarps. I did feel slightly sorry for the Meadow Browns as they in particular took a battering from the Brown Argus, in fact they seemed to be the victim of choice for the tiny chocolate orange ball of rage! In amongst all the high jinks we reached the path back down the hill and as if to wave us off (or blow us an adieu raspberry) the male Wall dropped in just long enough for a few grab photos. On down the hill we went as we were approaching the start of the ‘golden hours’ when the Brostreaks stir from the slumbers in the canopy. However despite this not a single Brostreak showed. There were plenty of Hedgies/false streaks and a few Holly Blues but the wind had changed direction. Instead of the trees on the Wiltshire side breaking and becalming the breeze now they were being whipped from the opposite side and the main hedge bore the brunt of a battering wind. On round we went to the enclosure and through the Nettle Bed adding a nice Small Copper and Common Blue on the way and watching a very flighty male Brostreak which refused to sit for us. On the corner of the narrow hedge a Comma sat momentarily before it twigged that it was within range after which it flew up into one of the tall trees and stared down at us imperiously.
26-08-2021 8.JPG
26-08-2021 9.JPG
26-08-2021 10.JPG
With the wind now racing across the field and slamming into the main hedge we faced a dilemma; carry along on the tried and tested route and hope for a lull in the wind when the females might be brave enough to come down and lay or pick or way long the opposite hedge which was now in the lea of the wind? We plumped for the latter option and almost immediately stumbled across a female Brostreak. She was a little high up but was a great taster of things to come. As we carried on eyes focusing on the hedge and feet in automatic I happened to mention that what we really needed was “a female that was laying as she’d be down low, hang around for a while and open up and bask for a time as well”…oh and there was one and what a one, she was a cracker! Not only did she look great but she had all the moves too, closed wing, opening up, ovi-posturing, walking along the twigs etc.
26-08-2021 11.JPG
26-08-2021 12.JPG
26-08-2021 13.JPG
26-08-2021 14.JPG
26-08-2021 15.JPG
26-08-2021 16.JPG
26-08-2021 17.JPG
26-08-2021 18.JPG
Vicious wind whipping
And battering the main hedge
Try out pastures new…

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Shipton Bellinger 26-08-2021 Part 2

The hedge continued on and curved round so we followed it until it merged almost seamlessly with the stony main track up from the village. We took this walked downhill past the Master Ash (if such a thing is still considered a fact?) and made for the Dual Track hedge. The odd Specklie flew in and out of the dappled shade and a Red Admiral zoomed by overhead possibly seeking out remaining Bramble flowers. Another decision had to be made – left hand track with the hedge towering overhead on either side or the right where the track is higher and there are more Blackthorn whippings? We plumped for the right hand track and set off stopping almost as soon as we’d started for a ragged old Silver-washed that looked to not have long left of this world. In the slightly cooler dappled shade again the Specklies appeared as did a Green-veined White. We’d managed a whole 8 steps along the track when a female Brostreak appeared at ankle height. I’m used to having to peer upwards and risk a cricked neck when looking for Brostreaks but I didn’t think I’d need to almost lie on the ground for them!
26-08-2021 19.JPG
26-08-2021 20.JPG
26-08-2021 21.JPG
Slightly further along the track just past the gate into the neighbouring field the hedge height decreased and the path opened slightly. This section had been worn smooth by the many steps of dog walkers and hikers and the exposed soil had a slightly polished look. It looked perfect for Walls and sure enough there was a male patrolling along the track. It would fly ahead of us, settle and then take off once more as we approached. At the end of the track rather than flying more ahead and joining the main track down to the village it flew up and over us and landed behind so when we turned ourselves to make our way back it repeated the same process in reverse. As it landed and settled it would raise itself up so that it looked like it was standing on tip-toes or stilts giving it a very tall rectangular look.
26-08-2021 22.JPG
26-08-2021 23.JPG
As we continued on, the voices of Jim and Ben slipping through the dividing hedge from the other side of the track where they were looking for moths, Philzoid and I happened across what looked to be a Bee Wolf, though it looked slightly darker than those I’d encountered at Martin Down. On the final stretch along the dual track we managed to locate a further air of Brostreak females and right at the end there was a battered old male. He was the most knackered looking Brostreak that I’d encountered this season and rather than enjoying the splendour as he opened up to bask I was left feeling slightly sorry for this aged stalwart.
26-08-2021 24.JPG
26-08-2021 26.JPG
26-08-2021 27.JPG
26-08-2021 28.JPG
26-08-2021 29.JPG
Having rejoined the others we started back towards the cars and after a slight detour for a couple of Holly Blues we were son back having had a quiet walk. During the coffee break I kept my eyes peeled and followed a Wall down along the Wiltshire side of the main hedge. I hadn’t intended to follow it, I just wanted a record shot but it was adamant that I was going to have to work for my photograph. It started on my right hand side and then as I approached it flew across the path and then back diagonally to land in the centre of the path several metres away. I made to approach again and when I got ready to fire off a few shots it took off and flew across the path to the left and then diagonally back to the centre of the path several metres away. It did two or three more times and I was just about to give up when it decided enough was enough, I expended enough effort and so I was due my reward so it plopped down right next to me with a resigned look of “just get your bloody shots will ya?”
26-08-2021 30.JPG
26-08-2021 31.JPG
26-08-2021 32.JPG
The final sortie of the day was to the little field where the Silver-spotted Skipper was a few years ago. The bushes were all quiet as we’d almost reached the end of the Golden hours and so instead I looked though the Blues and Brown Argus and sat back and watched as Ben found his first ever Magpie Moth. On the stroll back to the car another Wall popped up – they’re having a great season here – and as I was packing up the car a Hobby passed by overhead. So ended a terrific day with some fantastic sightings – Shipton produced the goods again. Having said my goodbyes I drove home footsore but happy from my final visit to Shipton of 2021.
26-08-2021 33.JPG
26-08-2021 34.JPG
Brostreaks pose nicely
Walls abounding an apt end
‘Til next year Shipton

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, love looking at your shots and reading of your exploits :D I'm still looking for a place to call home, hope fully it won't
belong before I find some where, I'm certainly on the look out for the Butterflies, camera at the ready :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Hope the dream house becomes a reality soon :D Good to hear that you've got the camera ready to go, mine's with me at all times now as well...just in case :wink: :D

Martin Down 29-08-2021

Over the last couple of years I’ve read several books about wildlife that have a similar theme; author sets out to see all the British species of “insert name of animal/plant group here”. Sometimes it’s over the course of their lives and others try for a ‘Big Year’ and they’re an enjoyable read as well as being useful for their fellow naturalists as they include when to go, where to go with plenty of detail about the actual site and habitat and also how to identify what you’re looking for…

I was ruminating over this as we’d set off along the track that hugs the boundary hedge from the Car Park at the Sillen’s Lane end of Martin Down. We were on a quick family walk (minus K who was at work) around Martin Down and as I’d pulled up a Holly Blue prevented me from leaving the car as it fed on some Brambles in the hedge and opening the door would have disturbed it. Once he’d emptied the florets on this particular stretch he moved on and so I clambered out of the car, collected my gear and we set off. I stopped momentarily as the same Holly Blue had found a fresh source on the corner of the hedge where it turns in slightly. I had to pick the pace up as my wife and L had kept walking. I’m used to this and I’ve developed a gait not too dis-similar to those walk racers although I don’t swing my hips out nearly as much. This walk which is almost as fast as a jog but still a walk allows me to grab a few shots and catch-up before I’m missed.

We carried on along the track with Whites and Meadow Browns still flying as well as the occasional errant blue and I employed another tactic, this time you make sure that you’re half a step ahead of the others so you get to see anything first and then you might be able to stop and try for a few shots. As we walked occasionally I stopped and employed the mid-run gait to catch up as first a Specklie and then a brace of Small Coppers caught my attention. The first Copper looked to have pretty standard markings but the second had a set of huge spots which were so large they bled into each other and formed lines/arcs down the wings.
29-08-2021 1.JPG
29-08-2021 2.JPG
29-08-2021 3.JPG
When we reached the fork in the track we took the right path and started up the slight rise. I knew that L and my wife would want to take the main, but less productive track but I took the parallel pat which I have dubbed ‘Tunnel track’. I needn’t have bothered as it was very quiet with only a Holly Blue at either end a Specklie that flew ahead of me the whole length of the track. As I emerged at the other end I realised that I’d employed another useful strategy for maximising my butterfly quotient; use prior knowledge to have an alternative/more productive route prepared. Normally this would have worked wonders but occasionally if doesn’t pay off and this was one of those times.
29-08-2021 4.JPG
29-08-2021 5.JPG
On we went sweeping up the thinly turfed path alongside the embankments of the hillfort and on to the Hotspot enjoying the near September sun as we went. The gentle breeze occasionally snatched away parts of our conversation and teased Not-so Little L’s hair and as the suns’ rays warmed me a general feeling of contentment built within. It was all very blissful which as it turned out became a bit of a problem when we reached the Hollow and Hotspot. For here in the little sun trap the butterflies were turbo charged, racing around at breakneck speed. In my chilled out state I struggled to raise my game and so numerous butterflies escaped my lens and not just by a split second either. The Blues in particular were very active and herein lay another problem – whenever I chose a likely looking subject another butterfly would fly in and hassle them or they’d fly up to hassle it and my shots would be of a blue/grey blur. “I’ll just need 5 minutes…I’ll catch you up”. This is another little way of getting the butterflies during a family activity you just have to make sure that you set your watch or start a timer so that come 4 minutes 50 seconds you’re starting to walk back to catch-up. It was harder work than normal as 5 minutes at the Hotspot wasn’t nearly enough time. I scanned around hoping for some easy targets but everywhere I looked butterflies were careering about recklessly. In the end I took to gently strolling along the path, camera viewfinder raised half way to my eye in readiness. An Adonis Blue, an older looking individual and one that was slightly frayed around the edges, was having a breather in between hassling the ladies and escaping the incandescent ball of rage/Brown Argus. A few snaps and I was on my way leaving the Adonis Blue to think “what happened?” This eclectic mix of blues was further bolstered by Browns and Whites and at the foot of the Down my technique of just walking camera poised paid off again. A DGF was sitting atop a flower so I leaned in, got a few shots, and carried on, once again leaving the butterfly perplexed and wondering “what was that?” Pleased with my efforts I checked the timer, I’d gone just past the 5 minutes so I my catch-up gait almost became a jog…
29-08-2021 6.JPG
29-08-2021 7.JPG
Once I’d caught up with the others I could slow down and as we climbed the hill the conversation flowed from this and that and the butterflies passed by along the Dyke barely noticed as I was engrossed in the family bubble. After pausing briefly at the top of the hill by the bench to take in the vista spread beneath us we then plunged down the diagonal stony track back to the car park. Again the path split and by walking slightly ahead on the left of the path I gently steered us down the right fork which ran along the large island of scrub in the middle of the gentle slopes of the Down. From past visits I was aware that this was much more productive and so it proved to be with several shades of blue flitting among the tops of the tallest grasses or bundling into each other down in the lower, thinner sward. There were a few ghostly looking Chalkhills as well as the more lilac looking Common Blues and the odd other interesting thing would stop momentarily on a leaf, sometimes long enough to get a shot off but most of the time they seemed to want to just say “I’m here! Bye!”
29-08-2021 8.JPG
29-08-2021 9.JPG
29-08-2021 10.JPG
29-08-2021 11.JPG
29-08-2021 12.JPG
The track curved round and down and then slightly up and down before running straight into the Car Park. As we started the drive home I picked up ruminating from where I’d left off at the start of the walk and by the time I’d reached home I reckoned that I’d spotted a gap in the market – nature watching in and around a family. I thought about all the times, like this day, when I’d seen stunning wildlife during a run of the mill family outing, a walk, trip to the park, a National trust visit etc. Not a planned trip to a nature reserve or far flung habitat for a particular species but just getting out there and the joy and surprise when something, anything, just turns up...as well as describing certain special techniques for ensuring that you’re able to make the most out of the opportunities.
A family trip?
Maxing opportunities
That’s second nature

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Back to Work

01-09-2021

“Where did the summer go?” that was what I was left wondering as I filed into work for the wonders of a TD day. Wherever it had gone it had taken the weather with it leaving in its stead a cool and limpid sky, featureless and dull, the type of sky which literally sucks the colour from anything like a Dementor sucking the joy away. During the break I was able to get back to the Lab to sort a few bits and bobs out and on the way I noticed a few bits and bobs hanging around the Buddleia so I made a mental note to check them out during lunch. The old Buddleia which was cut back almost to the ground last year hadn’t fully recovered and the main shoots only reached to just above my waist. This was perhaps a tad too low for the butterflies and they all showed a preference for the spindly plant that was growing just outside my window.

After break I was sent back to the Lab to watch the Prevent Training video. While it took an age to load the various parts and buffered away I gazed out the window at the spindly Buddleia on the opposite side of the pane. I was cheered to see a couple of Small Torts and in between watching more videos explaining how to spot extremists in training I took a few shots through the glass of the Small Torts, which now numbered three, as they clung onto the spindly floral spikes.

When lunch had come and the beige had been snaffled I once again headed back to the Lab and grabbed my camera for a look around the Quad but the breeze which had been slightly problematic earlier was now much stronger and was whipping the tops of the Buddleia and dragging the temperature down with it. Needless to say in the cool, dull grey and windy Quad the butterflies had nipped off to find somewhere more salubrious...”’til tomorrow then” I thought.
01-09-2021 1.JPG
01-09-2021 2.JPG
02-09-2021

Once again we were spread out in the Main Hall for most of the morning and then after wolfing down two helpings of the deceptively hot vegan curry (I nice slow burner) I once more entered unto the breach (well Quad) and after a quick check of my camera settings I was spotting butterflies. Once again it is grey and cool with the lifeless matt grey sky belying the fact that the wind had a life of its own and was almost trashing the tall spindly Buddleia. I counted a maximum of 5 Small Torts but it was tricky as the butterflies were having to grip on for all they were worth and occasionally a sudden surge threw them overboard. From here they’d find a bit of peace and quiet down on the deck or on the wall of the library. When they did I approached as stealthily as I could, got the shots and then backed off so they could recover from their manic jostling.
02-09-2021 3.JPG
02-09-2021 4.JPG
02-09-2021 5.JPG
02-09-2021 6.JPG
03-09-2021

Another case of “of course this would happen”…the pupils were finally back shattering the peace and gone were the iron grey skies. Instead the sky was blue and clear, it felt lovely and warm and even the wind had calmed down more than a little – typical! Luckily I was now a Year 7 Tutor which meant that once I’d gone over the rules and taken them on a tour of the school I’d been able to settle back down in the Lab and in between fielding questions about what/how to fill in their planners I could occasionally have a look out the window. I took to walking round with mask on and camera over my shoulder. The maximum count was 6 Small Torts on the Spindly one and a Small White.
03-09-2021 7.JPG
03-09-2021 8.JPG
At lunch I headed out for a proper look around and to check my ‘work patch’. There were a few Small Torts hanging around on the library wall and I dallied there a little before making my way along the familiar route out the back, over the gate, along past the Nursery first and then the Primary school to the Pits. They were really quiet with only the odd white (one of which may have been the Small from earlier) flying along the edge of the field. It remained quiet all the way along the hedge with nowt about. On the return leg a few whites did appear as did a Specklie on the corner by the gap through the trees. Back at the Lab the Small Torts were still hanging around the Buddleia – but there were only three now although there seemed to be a few on the roof…Then the bell went and it was noses back to the grindstone.
03-09-2021 9.JPG
03-09-2021 10.JPG
03-09-2021 11.JPG
03-09-2021 13.JPG
03-09-2021 14.JPG
03-09-2021 15.JPG
Spindly Buddleia
Holding butterflies galore
Whipped by the wind though

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Small Tortoiseshell photos Wurzel, I hope I don't miss out on them this year, I'll certainly try my best to find them :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Keep your eye on any nettles or dandelion-like flowers and you should be able catch-up with a Small Tort or two, them seem to be making a comeback in the South East :D

The Devenish 04-09-2021

After all the many trips to Shipton Bellinger the time had come to start making the rounds at The Devenish for the later season specialities. For such a small reserve the diversity that this site offers makes it excellent value for money – especially as it’s only about a 10 minute drive from door to car park but it didn’t look up to much upon my arrival. The sheep had done there thing in the Orchid Meadow which was all grazed out nd only the odd stand of flowers stood out like a lost soul among the straw coloured back drop. It certainly didn’t look as inviting or butterflies as it generally does in the spring and so I forewent looking around and made straight up the tunnel track and out onto the steep side of the Down proper. The butterflies flew up to greet me and within a few paces I’d notched up both Adonis and Chalkhill blues of both sexes. Having climbed up the slippery steps cut into the chalk I started along the diagonal track that runs down to the foot of the down and the ribbon of Beech trees that border it. A Small White flew by and the a gorgeous female Chalkhill perched beautifully, head down and wings held out wide showing of the faint dusting of electric blue scales and white spots on both sets of wings to great effect. She was a stunner and as I took in the sight before me I noted new facets of appearance. There were the faint orange lunules with white undersides and the chequers on the hind wings were thick and smudged on the hind wing and even more smudged on the fore wings where the was some slight damage but also the hint of white lunules –cracking. As I neared the bottom of the track I interrupted a pair of male Chalkhills scrapping it out as well as a few Whites and a Brown Argus pauses taking a break from ‘grumping’ about.
04-09-2021 3.JPG
04-09-2021 4.JPG
04-09-2021 5.JPG
As I was now at the bottom of the Down I checked out the Hemp Agrimony patches and picked my way in between the various clumps taking care as I went to avoid the clawing snares set for me by the briars and the holes and scrapes. This area before was great for everything but today the Whites seemed to be in charge. First up was a Small White with the most miniscule wingtip markings that I’ve seen. Next up was a lovely Green-veined White which entertained me for a few moments sitting perfectly in the sun to maximise the stained glass effect before it fluttered weakly to head of flowers and opened up. After this there was the perfect counterpoint to the initial delicately marked Small White came in the form of another Small White, a smoky female. As if to break up the White fest a perfectly fresh Specklie dropped in. It was hard work to capture though as being in so fresh and in such great nick it was full of vim and vigour! My eyes having gotten used to the single tones of the Specklie and Whites were now assaulted by a brilliantly bright Small Tort.
04-09-2021 7.JPG
04-09-2021 8.JPG
04-09-2021 9.JPG
04-09-2021 10.JPG
04-09-2021 11.JPG
04-09-2021 12.JPG
Onwards I pressed and upwards I went climbing up the gully. Along the way there were a couple of Specklies as well as a Red Admiral but all of them kept their distance and so I eventually climbed out of the gully and walked with more ease through the first field at the top of the Down. I spooked a Hare and it shot off like a bullet out of a gun. To be honest I don’t know who was more startled, the lagomorph or myself as Hares seem a hell of a lot bigger when up close. Whilst my pulse dropped I scanned around and watched a frustrating female Specklie that looked in fantastic condition but didn’t deign to settle. A Large White fluttered past also up high but a Meadow Brown behaved impeccably from its nest down in the sward. She was ever so slightly frayed around the edges but the markings on her were beautiful to behold – with orange panels on all four wings contrasting nicely with the milk chocolate ground colour. After a while I finished my admiration of her and moved on along the top path, following it as it opened back up onto the second small top field. This one is slightly larger and is slightly more gently sloping until it reaches the diagonal path at the top of the stairs cut into the chalk. In the past this has been a very productive little area and I like to find the butterflies here as there is a lesser chance of turning an ankle or snagging your shirt on a briar. Today it only held a male Common Blue and a Brown Argus. The Brown Argus passed from flower top to flower top pausing just long enough in one instance to confuse the hell out of little spider.
04-09-2021 13.JPG
04-09-2021 14.JPG
04-09-2021 17.JPG
As I’d now reached the diagonal path I started back down intending to retrace my steps from earlier and see if I could reacquaint myself with the butterflies I’d witnessed earlier, On the way day I noted a Brown Argus and there were two noticeably different female Common Blues. One was a silvery blue colour as the brown seemed to wash through the majority of blue started to wear away. The other was more two tone with the blue appearing thicker and more concentrated towards the body of the butterfly. It looked a little like the paint had run down from the edges whilst the wing was held at an angle. When I reached the bottom and the Hemp clumps I was beset by Blues, the female Commons had been the vanguard and now I came across the battalion. There were 2 Holly Blues, 3 female Adonis and a couple of Chalkhills; it left me wondering where they’d been on my first pass? My musings were cut short as a male Adonis appeared from nowhere and tantalised me. I was so enraptured that I decided that I wanted to get a shot of it come hell or high water and so set off in close pursuit; or at least as close I could get whilst keeping to the tracks (to avoid trampling) and having to negotiate the gate when it flew through the fence onto Middle Down. He thought he’d given me the slip and dropped down but I pounced and got my shots before he realised that I was even there.
04-09-2021 19.JPG
04-09-2021 21.JPG
04-09-2021 22.JPG
As I was now in this section I thought it best to have a little mooch around. In times past the foot of the Down has been good for Brown Argus and Small Coppers but today it could only throw up a singleton of the former and so I started the arduous ascent whilst trying to watch my feet and the turf ahead simultaneously. This did mean the occasional stumble and ankle jar but it proved worthwhile when a largish, marmalade butterfly erupted from a rabbit scrape just ahead of me. I strained my eyes trying to pick it out but it had gone down almost as quickly as it had gone up. I made my way diagonally up the down to my left and scanned across each white patch cut into the turf. There! It was a Wall and my first at this site. I tried for a shot but this is a wily species and was off again as my autofocus almost locked in. After a couple more abortive attempts it had worked its way through the fence back to the stair area so I dived through the gate and stalked over as quickly as I could. I only managed a single record shot but the fact that it was a ‘site first’ acted as compensation.
04-09-2021 24.JPG
04-09-2021 25.JPG
04-09-2021 26.JPG
Chuffed I retraced my steps again, this time back along the top of the Middle Down and then back through the small paddock to the car. I stopped here and there for the odd White and a few Specklies played in the autumn of their flight but I was now tired after the adrenaline fuelled stalking and the various ascents/descents of the Down so it was “home James and don’t spare the horses”.
04-09-2021 27.JPG
04-09-2021 28.JPG
04-09-2021 29.JPG
With summertime Blues
And a Wall Brown dropping by
Became a great trip

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Martin Down 05-09-2021

As work had started again for another year the weekends now became times of getting everything done that hadn’t been done during the week and so, along with the waning of the season, opportunities to get out and Butterfly became harder and harder to take advantage of. This particular weekend however I was still in ‘Summer mode’ and after a trip out the previous day to The Devenish the prospect of a family walk and then a picnic at Martin Down would give me another chance to get something on the old memory card.

Once the car was successfully abandoned in the Sillen’s Lane car park we set off following a reverse of the route taken the previous week. So instead of wandering along the flat track along the boundary hedge we cut across and followed the track which would eventually run diagonally up the hill at a gentler slope. Whites flew in the small field to my left which I was unable to access due to the thick tangle of tall vegetation but on my right the Meadow Browns kept me occupied as we started up, then went back to the car so Little L could collect her forgotten back pack and started up a second time. When we reached the top of the rise the lie of hedge broke down revealing the fields running away into the distance. A Small Tort and a few Common Blue hung around some Hemp Agrimony near the edge of the track but a couple of Horses and their riders spooked them.
05-09-2021 1.JPG
The track reached a cross roads and so we turned to the right and there were butterflies everywhere. The verge lining the hedge which held a Common Blue and 2 Adonis. A ghostly Chalkhill passed by and a Small Copper popped up. On my left the meadow come grassland pressed itself up against the foot of Ham Hill and a few Whites played amid the Meadow Browns including several female Brimstones. One of these stopped and posed a la Lady Diana backlit with what was under her skirt/wings revealed in silhouette. We pressed on with the gradient increasing imperceptibly and the grassland opened up on either side with little to no hedge hemming them in. Occasionally we’d stop to take in the view and I’d scan across the Down but alas my gaze only fell on Meadow Browns, the odd White and singletons of Blue and not the hoped for frenetic mustard Cloudy.
05-09-2021 2.JPG
05-09-2021 3.JPG
05-09-2021 5.JPG
At the top of the rise where the track that we were on bisected the Dyke there were plenty of Blues, the Chalkhills looked even more spectral than usual what with the ragged wings taking on the appearance of ripped and torn sheets of the classic ghoul. We picniced on the top and after our repast I examined the steep sides of the hillock. A tired looking male Adonis had joined us during lunch and so I hoped to reacquaint myself with him. There was also a tiny Brown Argus, made even smaller by the lack of its wing fringes and a couple of Small Heath passed by without stopping. Chalkhills, Adonis and Common Blues were all present as well as the ubiquitous Meadow Browns. All the males that I saw were showing signs of wear (some more than others) though they still had plenty of vim and vigour about them as testified by their mass brawl that broke out across the thin turf. There were individuals from 5 species involved in the dizzying aerial combat. Just as quickly as it started the males dispersed and settled down in their respective chosen spots. I also found a couple of immaculate female Adonis and the males tried their best to woo them and when they failed they took their frustrations out on any other passing butterfly – I’m guessing that was why the previous brawl had kicked off?
05-09-2021 6.JPG
05-09-2021 7.JPG
05-09-2021 8.JPG
05-09-2021 9.JPG
05-09-2021 10.JPG
We continued our wandering down the Down, the girls on the main path and me sticking to the narrow track at the top of the bank overseeing the Dyke. On the way down there were plenty more Blues some of which sat on the deck in the middle of the track. This was quite handy as they couldn’t really ‘escape’ what with being hemmed in by the tall grasses. So instead they flew on ahead of me and land once more on the track only to be put up again and then on and on as before until they finally twig that if they fly a little higher they could overcome the grass stems! At the bottom of the Down the hollow in the hotspot is surprisingly quiet with the activity all being saved it seemed for the Terraces where again there was a smattering of Blues amid them some lovely fresh female Adonis.
05-09-2021 11.JPG
05-09-2021 12.JPG
05-09-2021 13.JPG
05-09-2021 14.JPG
I’ve dawdled behind so I had to put my head down and catch up – obviously scanning ahead to the field along the way in what proved to be a futile hope of seeing a Cloudy. When I eventually caught up with the others they were on the track which runs parallel to the Tunnel track. A Redstart was stocking up before heading South and the girls likewise stocked up on some Blackberries which meant that I could get a little ahead of them and start seeking out some final butterflies. At the further entrance to the Tunnel a small gathering of creeping thistles played host to the butterflies with a Brimstone, 2 Common Blues, 2 Small Torts and three Meadow Browns all jostling each other for the best spots. Somehow I’d been overtaken and I was behind again so I once again put my head down and tried to catch up with the others stopping only for a Dragonfly and a Small Copper on the way. The final butterfly of the trip was a Holly Blue which refused to come down and sit for me!
05-09-2021 15.JPG
05-09-2021 16.JPG
05-09-2021 17.JPG
05-09-2021 18.JPG
Another quick walk
Went round in reverse order
With same butterflies

Have a goodun
Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Love your ' blue ' female Adonis, as fresh as a daisy and just a sprinkling of blue.
Your Brimstones are a reminder of what I was hoping to see today!.

Kick off is getting nearer, stay well.
Trevor.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Adonis Wurzel, not seen one for years. always seemed to miss them , not this year hope fully :D Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Having a catch up with your PD again Wurzel. Some cracking reports and accompanying photos...although I do wonder if you will end up 'lapping yourself' one day i.e. post a report from a date last year past the same date this year :wink: :lol:
Wurzel wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:35 pm Over the last couple of years I’ve read several books about wildlife that have a similar theme; author sets out to see all the British species of “insert name of animal/plant group here”. Sometimes it’s over the course of their lives and others try for a ‘Big Year’ and they’re an enjoyable read as well as being useful for their fellow naturalists as they include when to go, where to go with plenty of detail about the actual site and habitat and also how to identify what you’re looking for…
Wurzel
I have read a few of these too and although some are good reads, I cannot help but wonder how successful some of them would have been without lots of assistance from their contacts. In one recent book, the author himself questions some of his own practices such as 'pot twitching' or 'fridge twitching' which in some cases involved driving considerable distance to see something (in this case a moth) that someone else had caught.
I have also seen increasing numbers of people that simply seem to follow each other around all the well known sites in order to 'Do a Barkham' as I have seen it called on social media and also by some I have spoken to myself whilst out a about.
I suppose we all indulge in our hobby in our own way but this attitude of just ticking something off a list, which is what some of these books boil down to, seems to me to miss the essence of what watching and enjoying butterflies (and other groups of wildlife) is all about.

Cheers,

Wurzel.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D Looks like your post was a prediction of things to come :wink: 8)
Cheers Goldie :D You'll be in the right neck of the woods for them this year, and as a bonus they're double brooded so you can get two bites of the apple :D 8)
Cheers Neil :D I know what you mean, I've often read the lines "...and then such and such from the wildlife organisation showed me a secret site for such and such a species" and my internal narrator adds "well wasn't that convenient whereas the rest of us plebs have to make do with hours and hours in the field" :lol: If I get round to writing a book it will be very much along the lines of "How to cram as much butterflying into family days out, trips to work, ferrying around the kids and even supermaket shops" - I think the title needs a little work :wink:

March 2022

Here we go - I hope the grotty weather that we've had/are still 'enjoying' counts as "coming in like a Lion" and then we can look forward to teh "going out like a lamb" and some cracking butterflying end of March :D
03 2022.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Work 06-09-2021

The first Monday of the term was exceedingly hectic and I spent much of the morning out of my Lab so I wasn’t able to keep an eye on the Buddleia. After duty at break the sun finally managed to eat its way through the low cloud/mist which had been shrouding the school and with the sun came the butterflies. It started slowly at first with a single Red Admiral fluttering about. It must have realised that I couldn’t get out with my camera as it started feeding on the lower set florets before moving its way gradually upwards. It was soon joined by a Small White and a Small Tortoiseshell. As the lunch break was swiftly approaching I mentioned the butterflies to the class I was teaching while they pressed on with some work “See that Red Admiral – it’ll disappear in a few minutes just before the bell rings”…and sure enough it did!
06-09-2021 1.JPG
Cursing I made my way over to the Staff Room to collect a coffee and on the way back I spotted another Red Admiral this time on the smaller Buddleia at the other end of the Science Block. This bush had been hacked back to within an inch of its life the previous Autumn and luckily was just recovering now. I say luckily as the tallest spines of flowers didn’t grow any taller than about waist height so shots were easier to obtain. As I started back to the side door and from thence to my Lab on the tall stand a second Red Admiral fed away up high whilst being hassled by a Large White.
06-09-2021 2.JPG
06-09-2021 2a.JPG
06-09-2021 3.JPG
06-09-2021 4.JPG
As I got back to work I was left wondering if maybe tomorrow I could get out for slightly longer before the weather broke and the rain set in for the weekend?
Indian Summer
Vanessids still going strong
‘Til the weather breaks

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Cracking shots Wurzel :D I saw my first Butterfly today, I'M off on a roll :D

Also hope to be living in Hern Bay hope fully by April fingers crossed, I'll be in East Blean Woods this June :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D That's great news! 8) I'd love to live nearer to East Blean - 8) Heath Frits could keep me occupied for weeks! 8) :mrgreen:

Work 07-09-2021

As I drove in the weather forecast on Radio 4 caught my ear as essentially we were due less wind and stronger sun, maybe reaching the very high twenties temperature wise; essentially the butterflies that were still out and about would most likely be charging around at umpteen miles per hour. So once I’d unloaded the car and set the Lab up ready I grabbed my camera and made my way out into the Quad for a couple of minutes. The tall spindly Buddleia just outside my window held a Red Admiral which for once wasn’t partaking of nectar at the highest of storeys. After getting a few shots it sensed my presence (well my nick name is Darth Carter) and it tool to the air – did a couple of fly-bys before veering up vertically and disappearing over the roof of the block. I didn’t mind as I’d spotted a Small White that was within range on the smaller and more recently pruned (attacked with a hatchet is only just too strong a statement). Within a couple of steps I was shooting away at a gorgeously fresh looking Small White. It was lovely to see it fidgeting about along the floral spike, turning this way and that, maintaining its balance by partially opening its wings to varying degrees. I then made my way back into the Lab having been outside for only 3 minutes – possibly my shortest butterfly trip ever!
07-09-2021 1.JPG
07-09-2021 2.JPG
07-09-2021 3.JPG
07-09-2021 4.JPG
All though the morning I kept an eye on the tall Spindly Buddleia and made a mental note of the butterflies that came and went. There were more Red Admirals, Small Torts and Small Whites but it would have been impossible without photographing every single sighting to work out how many there actually were but the maximum count was two of all three species. At lunch once I’d set up everything for the afternoons lessons, cleared away the mornings mess, answered a few emails and hoovered my lunch up I again made my way into the Quad. The tall spindly Buddleia was bare of butterflies so I walked over to the short one and there was a Red Admiral. Despite it being well behaved and also despite it sitting down low getting shots proved tricky. As is often the case on warm days as the temperature rises so too does the wind and today it was indeed the case. After a few I walked the few steps back to the Spindly bush and there was another Red Admiral this time hanging around the back the bush. I waited for it to first of all move into a better position and then I waited for a momentary drop in the wind. When the lull came I clicked away furiously for the few seconds that it was still. The wind picked up again and it started rocking on violently as if it was on a Rocking Horse.
07-09-2021 5.JPG
07-09-2021 6.JPG
As I was heading back in a Small White – a different individual from the morning flew along the side of the building. It made a couple of ‘dips’ looking like it was going to land before eventually finding its way to the short Buddleia. I was running out of lunch time so I fired off a few record shots and then dove inside just in time to bark “Well come in what are you waiting for?” at my next class.
A different day
Warmer, sunnier, less wind
Same old butterflies

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”