Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Katrina

Post by Pauline »

That's a great shot of the Weasel Katrina - you must have been very quick off the mark to capture that. I had to look up the difference between Weasel and Stoat and had no idea they were so similar. I had always assumed the Stoat was markedly bigger but not always the case seemingly, the tail being a fairly key identifier. Really like the GS shots too which I shall probably look for if this dull weather continues.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Wurzel and Brex. Thanks Pauline, it was a mixture of speed and persistence as it kept coming out every now and again.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Cambridgeshire

Post by Katrina »

I went to Cambridgeshire for 2 days. On Thursday the weather was cloudy. I saw no butterflies flying but spotted one roosting orange tip which turned out to have an egg on the same plant.
Attachments
Version 2 (2).jpg

David M

Post by David M »

It's amazing how regularly you find Orange Tips tucked away on the cuckoo-flower when it's overcast, Katrina. It's almost as if they know that's where they're best camouflaged.

Katrina

My First Marsh Fritillary

Post by Katrina »

Yesterday my sister and I went to a hill in Wiltshire hoping to see Marsh Fritillaries. The first butterfly we saw was a roosting Grizzled Skipper. Later we saw more Green Hairstreaks than you can point a camera at. Also seen were plentiful Dingy Skippers, Grizzled Skippers, Brown Argus and Small Heaths. There was an Orange-tip, some Brimstones, Red Admirals, Peacocks, a Wall, Holly Blue and Speckled Wood. We were fortunate to meet Millerd who later showed us where he had seen a Marsh Fritillary. We then had a couple of fly-bys.He also showed us some Small Blue he had found. Later on I searched nearby and found resting Marsh Fritillary. Many thanks to Millerd for showing us the area with the Marshies and for his expertise in identifying butterflies in flight saving me from chasing up hills after Walls and Peacocks.
Attachments
DSC05635.jpg

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Today on a 20 mins stop off at Kithurst me and my sister found 6 Duke of Burgundys and a mating pair of Dingy Skippers. Also seen was a Red Admiral and Speckled Wood. At Amberley Wildbrooks in on and off rain we saw one Red Admiral and one Small Tortoiseshell. At Anchor Bottom where we only looked in a small area we saw approx 40 Common Blues, one or two Wall Browns and a Cinnabar Moth.
Attachments
DSC05752.jpg
DSC05759.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots of the Marshie and the DIngies Katrina :D That Hill is normally covered in Marshies but it's still a bit early for them...at least I hope that's why there are only single figures of them there at the moment :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely images of the mating Dingies, Katrina. I think I've only ever seen that once so you have happened upon quite an enviable event!

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Wurzel, I was very relieved to get a photo after the drive. I have never seen so many Green Hairstreaks in one place though :D
Thanks David, I think we were lucky :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots Katrina :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Goldie - much appreciated :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Your shot of that Marsh Fritillary came out much better than mine (you no doubt saw I tracked it down again - or rather it found me...). :) Those Dingies at Kithurst were a nice find too. :mrgreen: :)

Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Some very nice recent pictures Katrina :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

I agree, very nice photos Katrina, especially of the fabled push-me-pull-you butterfly. :D

James

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Dave, I thought our photos were very similar. Thanks Bugboy and Brex.

Katrina

Heyshott

Post by Katrina »

This morning I went to Heyshott. I found two Dukes. There were a lot of Small Heath about it seemed like one every 2 metres at least. I also saw 2 Green Hairstreaks as well as Dingy Skippers, Common Blues, Brimstones, Red Admirals and a Peacock.
Attachments
DSC05821.jpg

Katrina

More Dingys

Post by Katrina »

At a stop off on the way back I found a pair of Dingys.
Attachments
DSC05899.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking 'in cop' shot Katrina :D :mrgreen: You can really see the eyelashes on the female :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Siver-studded Blue

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Wurzel.
At lunchtime today I was delighted to find a single Silver-studded Blue at Iping common in the intermittent rain.
Attachments
DSC06144.jpg

trevor

Post by trevor »

Great shot of the Silver Studded Blue, and your earlier Dingy shots.
Went past Iping yesterday, not enough time to pop in.

All the best,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”