Butterflysaurus rex

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots and great to see your diary kicking off again :D - and not just because it's nice to see someone even further behind than me :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Good to see you back, James.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

trevor wrote:The act of hanging up your camera for what remains of this season, might allow a certain law to kick in.
Especially if you go for a walk over at Tidemills sans camera !.
Hope you will visit the old railway next Spring

Best wishes,
Trevor.
For a second I thought you meant "the law of diminishing returns there Trevor" but not to worry I always take a small camera around with me in case I see something unexpected. I just won't be taking my big camera out. To be honest after years of taking photos of old and faded specimens most of which end up in the bin to save on space, this time of year usually provides slim pickings unless we see a third brood of something.

I might just visit the old railway in the spring but I'm know we'll meet whatever happens.

Until the spring.... unless...............
Wurzel wrote:Great shots and great to see your diary kicking off again :D - and not just because it's nice to see someone even further behind than me :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thank you Wurzel, it's nice to be back, at last it's nice to have a bit more time to post. Being behind is not so bad, it extends the memory of summer for a while longer. I still hope to meet you one fine day let me know if you're ever head over this way.
David M wrote:Good to see you back, James.
Most kind of you David, I've missed chatting to you all.

Best wishes

James

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Yes good to see you back posting lovely imagies. Orange-tip pictures at this time of year...making me yearn for spring all over again!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Butterflysaurus rex

bugboy wrote:Yes good to see you back posting lovely imagies. Orange-tip pictures at this time of year...making me yearn for spring all over again!
It's great to hear from you buggy, thanks for the kind words. I must say your diary has been great this year. I've really enjoyed reading about all of your adventures Wonderfully illustrated with your photos. I'm looking forward to seeing what you get up to next year.

I know how you feel, Spring is such a wonderful time, I can't wait for it to begin all over again myself.

Best Wishes

James

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi James, good to see you posting again...and with such a great reminder of what we can hopefully look forward to next spring.

Cheers,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Good to see you back, James. Posting six months adrift should see us all nicely through the winter months! :) I suppose we are roughly half way round to the first of 2017's Orange Tips...

Looking forward to some more photos!

Dave

Butterflysaurus rex

millerd wrote:Good to see you back, James. Posting six months adrift should see us all nicely through the winter months! :) I suppose we are roughly half way round to the first of 2017's Orange Tips...

Looking forward to some more photos!

Dave
Hello Dave, unfortunately I didn't do too well this year so I only have enough posts to see me roughly until mid November - if I post one a week that is. I'm usually a bit of a loner when I'm out butterflying but this year I spent more time in the company of some great friends. That made for some great times even though I under performed a bit this year.

Not too long before those Orange tips arrive, I hope we all have a great season next year.

All the best

James

Butterflysaurus rex

I interrupt my PD for a special bulletin.

Having noticed that a few Long-tailed Blues had been sighted along the south coast I decided to visit Tide mills and see if I could get lucky. I arrived at about 9.30am and I immediately saw a Clouded Yellow followed by several more. When I arrived at the various clumps of Everlasting Pea there was no sign of any long-tailed Blues, I spent the next couple of hours searching until I decided to call it a day. On the way back I bumped into Katrina and Trevor. I told them I hadn't seen any LTB's but I wouldn't mind one last go. So we all made our way back into Tide mills and would you believe it we all Spotted a Long-tailed Blue almost immediately! It was a very active male and we all struggled to get a shot of it. This may not have been our first sighting of an LTB we were all delighted to have seen it, our first of 2016. I also found a freshly emerged and stunning female Red Admiral - a very good day in great company.
Female Red Admiral (1).jpg
Female Red Admiral (2).jpg
Male Clouded Yellow.jpg
Male Long-tailed Blue 2016.jpg
Thanks for looking

James

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Typical, I chose to go to Eastbourne today! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI James,

Good to see you and Katrina today, I think all three of us enjoyed ourselves.
You win first prize for the best image of the LTB, at least it is readily identifiable .
That leaves my effort and Katrina's vying for the booby prize. I will allow you to adjudicate.

Keep well,
Trevor.

Butterflysaurus rex

bugboy wrote:Typical, I chose to go to Eastbourne today! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Keep trying buggy, it's all you can do with LTB's. If we get another big influx of them one year it would make things easier for you. Unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen this year. When it does happen again I'll try my best to help you out. I do have the advantage of living on the coast so I can let you know what's going on in the area.

I'm sure you found some interesting things today, I look forward to your diary entry.

ATB

James

Butterflysaurus rex

trevor wrote:HI James,

Good to see you and Katrina today, I think all three of us enjoyed ourselves.
You win first prize for the best image of the LTB, at least it is readily identifiable .
That leaves my effort and Katrina's vying for the booby prize. I will allow you to adjudicate.

Keep well,
Trevor.
Yes Trevor it was fortuitous, serendipitous even! Of course it couldn't have happened to 3 nicer more good looking, intelligent, talented, and dare I say humble people than us. I'm afraid I'm all out of boobies right now so I'll just say top effort all round. :D

Seriously though the LTB didn't give us much of a chance at a photo, I think we all did very well to get what we did. I get the feeling that even seeing one this year will be a rare treat.

My best wishes to you.

David M

Post by David M »

Great stuff with the LTB, James. This migration is practically an annual event now, and with conditions still perfect, I suspect that there will be quite a few more prior to the late autumn frosts.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic James, when it gets to September I always wish I lived in the South :D Goldie :D

Butterflysaurus rex

Goldie M wrote:Fantastic James, when it gets to September I always wish I lived in the South :D Goldie :D
Thanks Goldie, the next time we get a good summer with some southerly winds coupled with a few 'Spanish plumes' it might be prudent to book a little holiday to the South coast around early September or early October. And if it didn't work out at least there are some very nice places to visit down here. It would certainly be less drastic than moving down this way. :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:
bugboy wrote:Typical, I chose to go to Eastbourne today! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Keep trying buggy, it's all you can do with LTB's. If we get another big influx of them one year it would make things easier for you. Unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen this year. When it does happen again I'll try my best to help you out. I do have the advantage of living on the coast so I can let you know what's going on in the area.

I'm sure you found some interesting things today, I look forward to your diary entry.

ATB

James
To be honest LTB hadn't even really crossed my mind when I made my plans. I shall be keeping a close eye on developments in the coming days/weeks to see if a venture down to tide mills is worthwhile for me!

Butterflysaurus rex

bugboy wrote:To be honest LTB hadn't even really crossed my mind when I made my plans. I shall be keeping a close eye on developments in the coming days/weeks to see if a venture down to tide mills is worthwhile for me!
Yes you can't really plan for LTB's there's far too much luck involved for that. I think your approach is best, it's exactly what I would do. When you have to travel a fair distance it's good if there's at least a reasonable chance of success. I don't know if I will be able to go out looking very much but hopefully more LTB's will be seen and reported, in the unlikely event you're not doing it already I recommend keeping an eye on the Sussex BC sightings page.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Congratulations on that LTB, James, and I like your photo. A really natural pose. This species is one I have yet to photograph. :mrgreen: As long as a few females have come across on the hot southerly winds recently, and the weather remains reasonably kind, it is possible there might be some offspring in late October. Fingers crossed! :)

Cheers,

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You're not playing by the rules now Rex - you can't 'happen across' an LTB without catching your PD up, it's just not fair :wink: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”