Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I've given up on the weather forecasts Wurzel and now just look out of the window! :roll: Today was pretty dire and no butterflies seen at all but it gave me the opportunity to focus on other stuff. There were loads and loads of Ladybirds around today. I could see 15 just from where I stood but there were literally dozens. They all looked pretty much the same apart from this couple and at first I wasn't even sure that they were Ladybirds as they were so very, very tiny compared to the others. I have tried to ID them and the best I can come up with is 24 spot Ladybirds??????? You all know what my attempts at ID are like :roll: :lol:
P1080304ad.jpg
There were also a large number of bees?????? Again, I am tempted to guess at Wild Honey Bees but honestly, they could have been anything?
P1080315ad.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

What a sadness for some :lol: and what a stroke of good fortune for others, Pauline.

Great to see the ladybirds, Peacock and Dukes as you meander your way around the bad weather.

I guess Wood Whites will be next on your agenda?
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Until about an hour ago I hadn't even seen a Green Hairstreak David. Not for want of looking. Yesterday I searched Broxhead without any joy and got drenched - properly soaked - for my efforts. I did see this very attractive Shield Bug on Gorse. You won't be surprised to learn it is a Gorse Shield Bug. What surprised me most about it was how well camouflaged it was on the gorse despite its bright colours. It was very aware that I was there and turned sideways in a further attempt to become invisible demonstrating just how well it matches its habitat:
P1080329ad.jpg
P1080325d.jpg
A brief outing to Noar Hill earlier today was more successful but equally frustrating. I managed to locate about 6-8 Green Hairstreaks but they were about 20' up a tree and had no intention of coming any closer. They shared the space with 2-3 Holly Blues who divided their time between sun-bathing and sparring. A shot only to record my first sighting of the season:
P1080339d.jpg
P1080343ad.jpg
Whilst there I checked out the BH eggs I have been monitoring. They have hatched but could find no sign of the larva - yet!
P1080347ad.jpg
Only one Duke seen but spent most of my time looking up rather than down. A female from my last visit:
P1080206ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Oops! Forgot this one of the Peacock eggs - must be over 100!
P1080331ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm at a bit of a disadvantage this year (compared to previous years) as I really can't go too far at all. Having said that, I would still have expected better results from places that are usually reliable. I tried to find a Green Hairstreak again yesterday at Broxhead but the only green insects I could find were some lovely Green Tiger Beetles:
P1080350ad.jpg
Nevertheless, it is a lovely site, apart from some (quite large) areas which had been burnt (possibly deliberately?):
P1080381d.jpg
P1080386d.jpg
P1080384d.jpg
I did see my first Small Copper of the season which was a lovely example. It is as well that I took a shot from a distance because as I carefully approached it shot off, never to be found again!
P1080382ad.jpg
So, at the beginning of May my species total is Brimstone, Comma, Red Admiral, Peacock, Holly Blue, Large White - all seen in my garden - plus Duke, Small Copper, Green Hairstreak, Orange Tip - seen outside of the garden. Just into double figures! :( Checking previous years I have usually almost reached double this number. A difficult season in more ways than one, but I guess time will tell.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I reckon that's a good call for the Ladybird Pauline as sometimes the spots fuse together :D :D 8) Lovely looking Duke (or is that a Duchess?) from the other day 8) I feel your frustration and then some Pauline as I can only get out at the weekends and then the butterflies are sparse to non-existant :? Still things can only get better surely :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

It's been hard going so far this year, Pauline. Sooner or later conditions have to change. At least the lhps will not be desiccating any time soon!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Yes, it has been slow going this year Pauline. I am on 8 species here with Large White still not yet seen, but then again that is usually the last of those that I normally expect to see here by this time. Red Admiral is still not a spring species here although they are now overwintering in other parts of the midlands so it may become soon.
I am heading down to see out daughter in Emsworth next week so hopefully will be able to add a few more species then, weather permitting of course.

cheers,

Neil.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - appreciate confirmation of ID.

I'm keeping everything crossed that you are correct David :)

I really hope that Hampshire will give a boost to the number of species you have seen Neil.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I am becoming obsessed with the weather. It has been quite strange today with a mixture of heavy downpours, strong winds and a (very little) bit of sunshine. Very changeable. However, when the sun came out the rain started, and when the rain stopped the skies became grey and the wind picked up. Not ideal conditions for searching out butterflies - or photography - but after an expensive morning at the dentist I needed to get out. It was certainly worth it as I found my first Grizzled Skippers for 2023 - 2 actually. I shall not apologise for the similarity in the shots below - it was just such a novelty to see a butterfly - any butterfly! :D
P1080453add.jpg
P1080388ad.jpg
P1080390ad.jpg
P1080472ad.jpg
P1080468ad.jpg
These must be one of the most difficult species to keep track of when they fly off - especially with the help of a strong wind!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Perhaps this one is a bit sharper?
P1080428ad.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Those Grizzled Skippers are a breath of fresh air, Pauline.

In spite of continued miserable weather, butterflies are still finding a way to eke out their lives. :)
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

It was a delight to see them David. My initial impression is that the butterflies are not just late but numbers are also significantly down. I am basing that purely on personal experience. There have been no Orange Tips egg-laying in the garden this season which is quite unusual and I have seen relatively very few locally. Likewise, my little Alder Buckthorn plant (that I posted last season because it had so many Brimstone eggs on it I had to bring in fresh branches) has no eggs on it and there have been relatively few Brimstone in the garden. I have searched for Green Hairstreak but mostly without success. I haven't even seen a Speckled Wood or GVW yet. I guess things will become clearer with hindsight. Given this situation I was very pleased to see a female OT yesterday which, apart from the Grizzled Skippers, was the only other butterfly I could find:
P1080475ad.jpg
Only a very gentle breeze today but the rain is just a steady, constant stream so I am spending the day with the king and Jaffa :wink: :lol:
P1080367d.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Best skip this post if you like looking at pictures as I just want to document some thoughts and questions for the future - unless anyone has any answers now of course.

Bramshott is very close to me and is a somewhat atypical site for SSB as it has little to no heather in the area where these butterflies emerge earliest. It is dominated by bramble, bracken, gorse and nettles and it is cropped close to the ground most winters. A fair number of Dingy Skippers occupy this area and I have watched and recorded them egg-laying at the same time as enjoying the SSB. I thought that because the SSB consistently emerge early here then this might also be the case for the Dingy Skipper. This morning I thought I would pop over there and see if I could find one roosting. Walking across the site, I realised I couldn't find anything that they could roost on which would provide any sort of camourflage. In the past I have always seen them on one of these dead seed heads, although I don't know what the plants are called:
P1220732ad.jpg
P1030522d.JPG
I have also seen them on Teasel.

I know from personal experience that the same species of butterfly can behave very differently from one site to another but I have no idea what they could possibly find to roost on here. That is something I shall definitely have to find out this season - unless anyone has any ideas?
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant to see the Skippers Pauline :D I've still to see :D a Dingy this year :mrgreen: I know what you mean about them disappearing; I'vefound that just as I'm congratulating myself for following their progress o just when I think they're about to settle suddenly they hit the hyperdrive button and they've vanished :shock: :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - just to be clear, the Dingies are old images I was using to illustrate a point. Wouldn't want anyone to think I was trying to mislead.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

At last, an egg-laying female Green Hairstreak!
P1080494ad.jpg
P1080503ad.jpg
P1080506ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Yeah no worries Pauline - the skippers was referring to the Grizzlies from two posts before and I was bemoaning the fact that I hadn't seen a Dingy - that's the thing with playing catch-up you often have several different things to say :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks for the explanation Wurzel - I just didn't want to cause any confusion.

After my brief early morning walk across Bramshott yesterday I spent much of the day on my hands and knees cleaning out aviaries, rabbits etc. When the sun decided to show itself late afternoon I decided it was time for a break and headed to Noar Hill for an hour. By the time I arrived it was almost 4.00pm and my heart sank when I counted 24 cars parked along the verge and elsewhere! I considered just turning back but I really wanted to check out the Green Hairstreaks so I somehow managed to fit my car in a gap left empty because of all the mud. The first person I came across was Mark who was already showing some folk a Duke in the first pit (good to see you again Mark - loved the earring). The site seemed to be teeming with folk who, like me, had seen enough of the coronation events. There were a couple of guys from Petersfield who were also interested in seeing the Green Hairstreak so I was able to show them the ones which are still high up in that inaccessible Field Maple. I hope they were luckier than I have been. Then there was the guy from Reading - quite a way to come so I was delighted to be able to point out a few Dukes to him. There was also a charming couple from just outside Winchester that I kept bumping into. By now I had just about exceeded my hour so headed for the gate. I thought I would just take one last look in the last pit and there was the couple from Winchester and they had found a couple of Green Hairstreaks!!!!! They were more than happy to point one out to me but what we didn't realise at the time was that she was egg-laying. There was a lot going on in that little pit. There were several of those bees that lay eggs in snail shells - not something I have ever seen before. We watched in amazement at the size of the twigs these tiny insects were carrying but I'm not sure any of us managed to capture that image. I was left with just a photo of a pile of twigs! I was sorry I didn't get their names but they did mention in passing that they looked at UK Butts so just in case you happen to read this a big thank you once again. Another visitor reported having seen a Dingy Skipper there but without any further details it was impossible to find. Dukes however were plentiful and I must have seen 9-10 without looking for them and only covering a small area of the site. A few more shots from yesterday:
P1080488ad.jpg
P1080494ad.jpg
P1080508d.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:09 pmAt last, an egg-laying female Green Hairstreak!
Great find, Pauline. Don't think I've ever seen one ovipositing (probably because the use gorse round my way).

Return to “Personal Diaries”