Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Wurzel

Post by Neil Freeman »

A nice selection of Orange-tips and various whites in your recent post Wurzel. OTs have been a bit scarce around my patch this year, or maybe like everything else they are emerging in smaller numbers but over a longer time span.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D It's definitely the way to see OT's :D Here's hoping for some decent weather and accurate forecasting :?
Cheers Neil :D A lot of species seem to be sparse this year, fingers crossed that when the promised nice weather arrives they'll be an explosion as everything that's been held back emerges! 8) :D

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Martin Down 17-04-2021

It had only been a couple of days since my previous visit but the weather report had looked marginally better, particularly in the way of sunshine and so I risked a trip to Martin Down. Over the past few years this time of year is when the season suddenly springs to life but this year the meddlesome Jet Stream seems to have taken a dislike to the UK and is throwing cool weather our way. It was just about warm enough to leave my jacket behind and so having abandoned the car at the Sillen’s Lane I was please to kick off proceedings with a Peacock along the path just past the triangle. As I watched it disappear away across the fields I spotted an Orange-tip further on along the path and it was down and feeding. Of course by the time I reached the spot it was gone, flying along and keeping tight to the hedge. I kept my eye on it and sticking to the path made my way rapidly after it ignoring another Peacock and a Brimstone along the way. When it reached the start of the Tunnel path it paused to refuel and I was there waiting for it.
17-04-2021 1.JPG
After this I set off down the Tunnel trap but unusually it was bereft of butterflies. As I strolled along scanning this way and that I mused as to why my seeking was drawing nothing but blanks? It could have been that the left hand hedge had been scalped in places and in others had been ripped out and carried away. This meant that the strengthening wind was able to cut in and along stretches of the track that previously had been impervious to its clawing tendrils. It certainly felt cooler and more exposed than in previous seasons. The other possibility was that the recent cool spell had held back the vegetation as there were very, very few nectar sources available to a thirsty/hungry butterfly. Leaving the ‘Once a tunnel’ track behind I set off along the diagonal track that bisects the field and ends at the half way spot. Again there was nothing and started wondering if I’d made the right call in the site choice or even actually getting out…and then that changed. As I reached the half way spot I was greeted first by a Brimstone and then by a Peacock. Pretty standard fare and not much to write home about really. But then the Peacock started picking on a much smaller grey moth looking thing. I avidly tried to follow the little grey blur which descends alighting daintily on some dead grass. My first Grizzlie of 2021. As I sneak in for a few shots I wonder if the Peacock acts as my Herald, for I’ve seen a couple of ‘Firsts for the Year’ that have been announced by the Peacock.
17-04-2021 2.JPG
17-04-2021 3.JPG
I then work up and turn left onto the path that runs parallel to the Dyke. After a few steps I’m brought to a halt as a Small Copper takes off and disappears so swiftly that I can’t follow it – but it’s still on the Year Tally! I then alternate between picking my way through the vegetation and trip wire Brambles at the bottom of the Dyke and experiencing the fear of missing out when wandering along the much easier top path. It’s still really quiet although a (another) Small Copper vanishing in a blur is another nice addition to the days Tally. A Peacock leads me down the track – flying ahead of me, landing and then taking off in a startled fashion as I approach it once again. I’ve never been able to understand why they don’t just loop back behind me after the first time? They insist on flying ahead so are repeatedly spooked time after time. A green Common Lizard is too fast for my lens even in the meagre sun but the butterflies are in short supply. I manage only a Comma and Brimstone at the “Hotspot” – which seems somewhat of an ironic name at the moment. I spend some time in the Greenstreak field watching a pair of Peacocks courting. The male flew after the female for a few minutes before both settled in a tree with the male behind occasionally flicking its wings and waving its antennae. I was starting to think that the female was receptive to his advances when a Whitethroat put paid to any ideas that I had of capturing an ‘in cop’ shot as it blundered into the Hawthorn to scold me! The Cheeky get!
17-04-2021 4.JPG
I worked back out and round again into the Greenstreak Field finding a Comma, Peacock and both male and female Brimstones. I was contemplating where to head next when I bumped into a fellow enthusiast who’d seen a Greenstreak in the large island of vegetation that sits on the gently sloping edge of the Down. Again I found a Comma, Brimstone and a Peacock and again I missed out on a Greenstreak so I cut back across the field and started back down the Tunnel track. Things picked up momentarily with three Brimstones – two males and a female as well as a Red Admiral. I don’t know what it is about this species during the Spring but I find them to be almost unapproachable and generally record shots become the order of the day. At the far end a brace of Peacocks got in on the action but I was still left wondering what had happened? True I’d seen butterflies but in nowhere near the numbers that I’d hoped/expected – where were they all? My mildly morose musing had brought me back to the car past yet more Brimstones and Orange-tips.
17-04-2021 5.JPG
17-04-2021 7.JPG
I kept my eyes open as I slowly inched along the drive back to Martin village and I was glad that I did as I saw a couple more species to add to the days tally. First up was a Brimstone (same old, same old) then a female Brimstone (better but still not great) then a Specklie (brill), Comma (okay back to square one), Brimstone (stuck on square one) and Holly Blue (knocked it out the park). After that with the dulcet tones of Mr Bruce Dickinson shredding my speakers I headed on to the main part of Martin Down. I had a little while before I needed to head home so I ventured round the large patch of vegetation that abuts the car park expecting to have to search hard for butterflies. However it was actually just a case of down the main track and turn right, scan along the Dandelions and there was a Grizzlie. After a few shots he popped off and I continued on round and in one of the little scallops there was a second although this one was much less accommodating.
17-04-2021 9.JPG
Time was still on my side so I took my life into my hands and crossed the A350 to check out the area around Kitts Grave. As I breathed a sigh of relief at making it across the road in one piece I spied a Specklie down on the deck. I managed a few shots – my first of this species for 2021, brill. Along the first stretch of the path a Green-veined White lazily flies past and there are two Peacocks which are then joined by a third. To be honest I start to lose track of how many of each species there are as the Peacocks and Commas jostle around bickering which other and stealing the others basking spot whilst the Brimstones are quartering along the hedges so there could be one completing quick circuits or many flying much more slowly, it’s impossible to tell. Only down in the Valleys is it possible to get an accurate count as all the way along and back there is only a single Brimstone, not a single hoped for Grizzlie alas. There’s more of the same on the walk back but right on the corner is a Small White which took my tally to above double figures at 11 species for the day! I would have liked to have gotten a few images of this but a male Brimstone is intent on harrying it to pieces so the smaller harassed butterfly takes advantage of its smaller stature and nips in and out of the branches and twigs to evade its pursuer.
17-04-2021 10.JPG
17-04-2021 11.JPG
17-04-2021 12.JPG
17-04-2021 13.JPG
Put in the hard graft
For double digit tally
But where are they all??

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Garston Wood 18-04-2021

Upon arrival it seemed that everybody had come up with the same plan as the car park was full. Luckily as I pulled in with the view of turning around a couple arrived back, chucked their stuff and dog in the boot and headed off leaving me a nicely warmed parking spot. With the car successfully docked we were away on foot with high hopes for a sea of blue...bells. We followed the tried and tested route, zig and zagging along the trackways. As we made for the lunch log which is a good spot various butterflies flew but always in the distance, mainly Brimstones but there was also the odd Peacock and a couple of Orange-tips clashed nicely with the blue when they passed over. However whilst some of the Bluebells were up and showing nicely the carpet wasn’t as thick pile as I’d been hoping, perhaps in another week or so? The birds did their best to make up for the lack of butterflies by creating a wondrous cacophony with Nutchatches, Marsh Tits and Blackcaps adding interesting lilts and motifs to the usual chorus.
18-04-2021 1.JPG
18-04-2021 3.JPG
As there was plenty of time to kill instead of turning right down the main track or cutting through the enclosure we turned left and headed up the hill and out of the reserve. The pathway cut across a large field, skirted some farm building and then dove down a track with high hedges on either side before coming out in the village of Deanland. The butterflies were still difficult to capture and I’d seen but not photographed the odd Peacock, a Small Tort, Small White and a couple of OTs along the way. I had higher hopes when after heading straight over at the little crossroads we ended up at the edge of a large wood – the Rushmore Estate. Indeed as we started down the path a Holly Blue fluttered up high as if to greet us. On we pressed along the wide ride with open and light woodland on either side of us. A second Holly Blue flew low along the track, looking to all intents and purposes as if it would go down on the deck but never actually doing so. There were a brace of Peacocks scarping it out and a Comma seemed to be taking some salts from the mud down in one of the drainage ditches…however everything was exceedingly skittish. I manged a few shots of the more decrepit looking Peacock but despite seeing 7 different species since leaving the confines of Garston Wood I’d managed to photograph only one butterfly in almost an hour, that’s got to be one of the slowest rates I think I’ve ever had!
18-04-2021 4.JPG
Turning right we made to leave this stretch of wood and took to ascending and then descending a few of the Downs on our long walk back to Garston. A few Brimstones and Orange-tips turned up to pique my interest and almost back at the car I found a few growths of Toothwort, a parasitic plant, and now 44 minutes had passed between photos! Mind you this trip had really been about the walking and we’d certainly done plenty of that with 5 and half miles on the clock, none too shabby when really we’d set out for a bit of a stroll!
As we were in the vicinity we popped into my folks back garden to check that they were okay and to have a socially distanced cuppa. I’m aware that the Tea Ceremony is a beautiful tradition but the Co-vid version has a certain je ne sais quoi? I think it’s the way the mug is wiped and left on the table in the middle of the garden before you can cross the two metre distance to collect it or it may be the shouting a conversation over several metres - I can’t quite put my finger on it? Either way back to the garden (as C.S.N.Y. once sang), I’d carried my camera with me and this proved lucky as an Orange-tip flew into the garden and landed first on a Daff and then, once I’d gotten my lens cap off, on a Summer Snowflake (Leucojum sp.). I managed a single shot before he was off again – but sometimes that’s all you needs and after so many miles with so few butterflies this one almost made up for all that!
18-04-2021 5.JPG
Bluebells not quite there
So set to walking the trail
Hard work getting shots

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Your April rambles bring back the acute sense of frustration and "something missing" that has largely been the hallmark of the season so far, Wurzel. It's been like pulling teeth sometimes.

CSNY... Spotted the reference! :) I remember the No.1 hit by Matthews Southern Comfort better though (1970 - how can that be over 50 years ago?) It's a Joni Mitchell song originally I think.

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D

Work 19-04-2021

As per usual as soon as the holiday ends the weather improves! So it was again this time and hence during the lunch break my Lab was silent apart from occasional whirring of the fan from the laptop – at least that’s what I imagined, I was away as soon as the arm struck the bell for the first “dr…” There wasn’t much to see on the initial run down and I didn’t encounter a butterfly until the far corner of the field just before the turn off down the footpath where a Peacock fidgeted about, obviously feeling a little bad about nicking the Small Torts usual spot.

All the way along the footpath was quiet too, no errant Small Torts in gardens and no fly-bys in the neighbouring field. I wondered if everything was still having a lie-in after the weekend and then I spied butterfly number two. It was a Small White in the tussle of vegetation at the half way point. I only saw it by shear chance because at the exact moment that I turned my head to scan it opened up to catch some rays. Had it waited just one second more I might have missed it entirely, its yellow underside providing surprisingly effective camouflage. Slightly further the track a Brimstone was sampling the nectar from various Dandelions that were growing at the base of the wall of Bramble. After the kink in the path I kept my eyes peeled and sure enough there were a brace of Small Torts on and near the mound of peanut shells. A Comma was a nice surprise near the end of the path, so much so that I didn’t get a single shot off as it erupted from where it had been basking on the pile of old pallets. Then it was time for the return leg…
19-04-2021 1.JPG
At the Mound the brace of Small Torts remained but the others being much more transient had departed/moved on. A further two Small Torts toyed with me just past the kink as they’d fly along the Bramble, make as if to take some nectar and then just as I was considering approaching them they’d be through the wire fence and disappear down among the longer grown grasses. One of them got a bit cocky and didn’t fly too far into the field or hide particularly well so I was able to hold my camera thought he wires and get a few shots by holding my camera out as far away from my body as possible.
19-04-2021 3.JPG
19-04-2021 4.JPG
On the walk back two more Small Whites made it onto the days tally; the first was in one of the gardens in the estate and the second was flying around one of the Holly Bushes in the school field. Neither of these stopped for shots but seemed to want to make the most of the sunshine while it lasted…And during this topsy-turvy spring who can blame them?
19-04-2021 5.JPG
Back to work again
Temperatures rising once more
Oh surprise surprise!

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

June 2021

So as we enter the half way month things have finally started to kick off and things are cropping up all over the place - hopefully the late start might mean the June Gap is a non-event this year 8)
6 Jun 21.jpg

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

No chance of a June gap this year. From what I was seeing over the weekend I think we'll still be seeing Dukes, Dingy's and OT's for a good few weeks yet!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Bugboy :D The only drawback from a lack of June Gap is that things will be emerging all the time until the summer - oh what a shame :wink: :lol:

Work 20-04-2021

As I watched the class and the clock a Brimstone flew across the Quad which I hoped was an omen of what was to come. So when the bell rang I headed out directly and climbed over the gate with a Peacock accompanying me as it flew along the side of the Tech Block. When I walked through the second gate instead of turning left and heading down the field or cutting through the estate I kept on walking in the hope that there would be some butterflies around the Bramble bush by the ancient long jump pits but sadly all was quiet. However in a few months time this area should hold Smessex and Large Skippers, Ringlets and Meadow Browns and hopefully a Marbled White or three should it further escape the attentions of the contractors.

I broke through the wall of trees and started off down the side of the football pitches checking the hedges as I went to no avail. The next butterfly I saw was in the far corner of the field and was a Small Tort flying strongly towards and then past me. As I was here without a shot fired I turned down the footpath and after a few steps a Peacock passed me by and up ahead another Small Tort and this one was actually approachable.
20-04-2021a 1.JPG
20-04-2021a 2.JPG
I carried on a little further and the tall shrubs on one side gave way to long grass and the hedge became a wire fence so the path seemed to widen noticeably. Taking advantage of the more open vista was another Small Tort; the wing damage allowing me to identify it as the third of the day.
20-04-2021a 3.JPG
And that was it on the outward journey; no Specklie, no patrolling Orange-tip, no more butterflies actually. On the return leg I relocated the Small Tort and added a passing Small White but I’d walked too far on the way out so I had to get a serious wriggle on, Even then I only just managed to get into my Lab before the hoards descended!
A quiet lunchtime
Small Torts keep me company
Summer should be good

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Middle Street 20-04-2021

This year has been all about carpe diem what with long spells of unfavourable butterfly weather and often inaccurate weather forecasts. So this afternoon having completed a brief fenestration forecast for myself (looking out the window) I took a gamble that something might be flying over at Middle Street. With the after work jobs done I started off ever hopeful. A Peacock sitting in the sun up high on one of the buildings along Harcourt Terrace was just the omen that I was hoping for as this year they’ve often been the herald bearing news of butterflies to come. When I was negotiating the narrow Town Path another Peacock flew alongside me for a while, almost ushering me on I thought so I started scanning the stands of white topped greenery that lined the path. Over the weir and past the pub and the path opened out and a male Orange-tip darted across the road from one of the gardens and entered the park on my left. I followed it through the hedge and then once on the other side scanned ahead but it was gone. I know that they can put pedal to the metal but disappearing in such a short space of time would have been like going from 0-120mph in a couple of seconds? Then I looked down and there it was sitting on a leaf. I took a few shots and then stood back wondering why he was down…then mere seconds later a small cloud passed over the sun and the world got a little darker and cooler – too cool to fly possibly? Leaving the male and hoping that the sun would come back out I carried on.
20-04-2021b 2.JPG
As I approached the gate muttering and mumbling about the, yep you’ve guessed it, the bl@@dy weather the sun came back out. So once again seizing the small window of opportunity I made directly to the little nook. From previous visits I knew that there was a small stand of Cuckoo Flower and as I spotted the pink yet almost white flowers poking up amid the ever burgeoning grass fluttering about them was a tangerine cream butterfly, a male Orange-tip. Getting in close wasn’t a problem as he was really interested in taking nectar visiting each floret in sequence.
20-04-2021b 5.JPG
20-04-2021b 6.JPG
Pleased with this I carried on round through Quagmire (giggity), the Hotspot and the pond but all was quiet as it’s getting to the time of year when the early risers have risen and the butterflies tend to be grassland specialists. On the other side of the pond there was also a dearth of butterflies but a conglomeration of stoners. They were pleasant enough, even offering me a hit of their bong but I declined and moved on to the Dips. Just as I stepped down into Dip 1 the cloud that had been lingering just on the others side of reserve moved in and with it vanished any hope of more butterflies. The cloud held fast when I visited Dip 2 as well but at Dip 3 the sun was starting to nip at the clouds coat tails and I managed to find bot a Small Tort and a Peacock. With the coming of the sun the butterflies suddenly woke up and disappeared from view almost as if the pause button had been released. I carried on to the end not finding anything else and then started the wander back feeling somewhat dejected after such a promising start as my surveillance drew similar results but in reverse order. Nothing along the ‘end’ stretch, nowt in Dip 3, nada in Dip 2 and keine Smetterlinge in Di…No there was a Peacock! And then a second, sad but true :twisted: :wink: I got quite excited by this find possibly because the previous 20 minutes had been so depressing and the serotonin from the earlier Orange-tips had worn off as the cloud had thickened. But now that the sun was finally seeing off the black dog cloud the butterflies were revealing themselves for one last bask before bed.
20-04-2021b 8.JPG
20-04-2021b 9.JPG
As I made to leave I checked out the nook one last time and there was third Peacock taking in the last of the evening light nicely highlighted by the fence. There were also a flurry of bees two of which were locked into a furry ball. I think that they’re in cop but it’s not something that I’ve seen before…The walk back was a quick one and I didn’t find any roosting Orange-tips but it felt good to just get out, I think the day had been well seized.
20-04-2021b 10.JPG
20-04-2021b 11.JPG
20-04-2021b 12.JPG
20-04-2021b 13.JPG
Must carpe diem
With Orange-tips and Peacocks
The day was well seized

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Work 21-04-2021

I had high hopes for my lunchtime trip out – the sun was shining intermittently and when out it was hot, hot, hot and in a good way! However the clouds were being occasional party pooper, rolling across the sky and taking all the heat out of the day and with it the fun. It was also quite gusty but as I was in a positive mood due to the surge in serotonin, I reasoned that this would be quite handy because (to really push the metaphor) as soon as the cloud tried to crash the party they were escorted through the house and booted out the back door.

On the walk down I didn’t see a single butterfly; not through the housing estate, the half way point and neither on the walk to the end. It was only on the walk back that they started appearing. The first of the lunchtime was a Small Tort which went up from the path and upon breaching the shelter of the wooden slatted fence was buffeted away and into a garden out of reach of my lens. Slightly further on a different individual went the same way but his time the fence was a much lower jobby and so I could try for a few distant record shots that would need a lot of cropping. It was a shame as this one was a really fresh and smart looking individual.
21-04-2021 1.JPG
21-04-2021 2.JPG
I continued back and it all went a bit quiet for a while so I made do with a nice looking bee, the white bands on the abdomen reminded me of the Ivy Bees that I see a lot of during the autumn but I don’t think that it’s that – one to look up on a rainy day. Just after the mound a Small Tort sits on the corner but like its compadres it too only allowed a distant record shot. I really couldn’t figure out what was up with the butterflies today as all were keeping their distance and none were their usual confiding selves? So it went with a Small White. I spied it fluttering along the line of the hedge when I was almost at the half way point. It flew past me and then up and deep into the hedge. I could just make it out if I peered through the hedge and carefully positioning my lens meant that I was able to pick up a few shots – but like all they were distant. It couldn’t be that they were cool because when they did decide to make a move they were off, full of vim and raring to go. Perhaps the increase in temperature had also led to an increased alertness?
21-04-2021 3.JPG
21-04-2021 4.JPG
21-04-2021 5.JPG
On the way home I stopped off at Larkhill, crossed the road and turned left along the gently rising trackway. I scanned left and right, checked the deck ahead of me for any Grizzlies but there was nothing. It felt like it was going to be another fruitless visit and so somewhat despondently I paused by a Hawthorn that had a lower growing yellow shrub beside it. Purely by chance my gaze fell on one of the protruding twigs from this shrub and something stood out. There against the yellow leaves was a green triangle. Staring back at me from the foliage was my first Greenstreak of 2021. After a few shots the sun was swallowed completely and the Greenstreak set off seeking somewhere more sheltered to roost I suppose. Only one butterfly for a visit here would normally cheese me off, but not this singleton – what a cracking way to find a first for the year!
21-04-2021 7.JPG
Distant butterflies
Are the order of the day
But not the Greenstreak

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

I'm beginning to get a taste for ' distance ' shots, like your 2nd one down of the Small Tort.
If you, like me, think that shot's good, have a look at Katrina's page to see how it's done.

I was told on my last Wilts visit that Glanvilles have been seen on one of the hills.

Great stuff as always,
Trevor.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

trevor wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:01 pm
...I was told on my last Wilts visit that Glanvilles have been seen on one of the hills...
Not just one hill from what I am hearing. They seem to be appearing in a number of spots across the south, I wonder if this also down to the 'Phantom Marshie Dumper'.

Cheers,

Neil.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Normally when I browse your diary I'm looking at species that have long gone over for the season but not this year, Green Hairstreaks and Orange-tips are still firmly on the menu at many sites :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :DI had a look and I see what you mean 8) Though my distant shots were because the butterflies were playing silly bu££ers more than any other reason :wink: :lol:
Cheers Neil :D Could be the same person although the Glannies have been on one of the hills for a number of years now - could have been the same person that did Wrecclesham maybe :?
Cheers Bugboy :D I've been tempted to chill out a bit with my posting to let them finish so my PD has a more 'normal feel' :wink: :lol:

Martin Down 24-04-2021

It felt like one of those days when things weren’t going to go well. The weather seemed set to fair – with double figure temperatures upon arrival, wall to wall sunshine but, and here comes the rub, the wind was really blowing and blustery. Honestly here’s always something… With this in mind I planned out a route to take in all of the little sheltered spots as I reckoned those would be the best bet when it came to finding the butterflies. With the final wails from Smith and Murray still tingling my ear wax I set off along the hedge hopefully. However there seemed to be very little around – in fact there was nothing. Nada along the main hedge (which I ended up doing twice – I hate central locking), nowt along the tunnel track and zilch along the diagonal track to the little island of vegetation that bisects the Dyke between the hotspot and the Butts. As I approached this little oasis amid a sea of grass I was starting to doubt whether I was going to see anything and was in something of a blue mood. Then on a bright Dandelion I spotted something that made my spirts rise. It was a Grizzlie - the first butterfly of the day and something a little special, breaking the monotony of Small Torts, Peacocks or Brimstones.
24-04-2021a 1.JPG
24-04-2021a 2.JPG
I set off down the Dyke, my mood having moved from Midnight to Navy as the wind was still doing its best to annoy me and it was making the butterflying hard work. Along the bottom of the Dyke it was reasonably sheltered to a height of about 30cms from the floor but above this it rattled along, funnelled by the Dyke walls and it picked up any errant butterflies and carried them promptly away before inspection. This happened for both a Peacock and another Grizzlie but luckily it seemed that it was still too early or too cool for the butterflies so I wasn’t going to miss out on too much. All too soon I’d reached the Hotspot and so I wandered around and into the Greenstreak Field. In the favoured spot – a stand of Gorse at the edge of the narrow trackway through the dense Hawthorn hedge a Greenstreak flashed by. A second came down onto the deck before heading up to the heights of the Hawthorn, luckily I managed a few shots so I could start to identify individuals. The first photographed only had a single spot near the top of the hind wing. I was now at Cerulean and fast approaching Sky Blue!
24-04-2021a 3.JPG
Another suddenly just appeared on the Gorse by my side. Whether it was a third individual I couldn’t be certain but I suspected that it was the first which had done a big loop round to land back near where it had started from. I named this one as Blobby as the line of spots wasn’t the neatest that I’ve seen, all mismatched sizes and shapes and instead of making a nice arc around the hind wing the top most was displaced so it looked a little wonky! Chuffed despite the imperfections I was now at Sky Blue in terms of mood and would soon be at Baby Blue – the last of the blue moods! I took a wander round the hotspot but there was only a Brimstone battling against the breeze and I ended up back at the same stand of Gorse in Greenstreak Field. I must have missed an epic battle because sticking out like a sore thumb, a vivid green against a yellow background, was a different Greenstreak. This one had neat arcs of spots on both fore and hind wings (punctata?) and the gorgeous white and orange margins to the wings. I spent some time with it but I couldn’t get to Baby Blue as the breeze had shifted direction slightly and every time I focused in for a shot it seemed to pick up and rock the butterfly forward and backwards. I’ have to wait for the wind to calm for a moment, focus and shoot hopefully before the lull passed and the wind resumed annoying me.
Blobby
Blobby
Not Blobby!
Not Blobby!
24-04-2021a 6.JPG
24-04-2021a 7.JPG
Eventually I decided to head to venture forth and so I set off up the Dyke. I was accompanied up most of the climb by a Peacock. It would take off from just in front of me, fly up and around behind me and then complete a circuit to land ahead of me. After a few steps I would draw close to it and up it would go again. I’ve seen butterflies do this many, many times and I can’t understand why they don’t just fly and land behind me rather than repeatedly being disturbed? On the walk up there was also a lovely female Brimstone and a brace of Grizzlies – the second of which was much more accommodating that the first, even giving me a glimpse of the underwing. However star of the show of this section of my visit undoubtedly went to a surprise encounter with an Adder. It was basking on the bare soil at the bottom of one of the tracks that run up the side of the Dyke. I was walking up, alternatively looking ahead to seek out butterflies or looking where I was placing my feet so as not to trample any cowslips or violets. I shifted my gaze downwards to check my feet and there it was, only a hands span away from me. I gave a bit of a start and stood back so that I was out of striking distance and it coiled up and hissed before making a retreat off into some brush. It was a brown and white individual with almost ginger edges to the diamond pattern that ran along the back.
24-04-2021a 9.JPG
24-04-2021a 10.JPG
24-04-2021a 12.JPG
Once at the top I carried on because as I was sans kids I could make it right to the top and have a look around in some new territory. Also this was the area last year that yielded my first Dingy, they seem to prefer the baked, well-trodden paths and close cropped turf whilst the Grizzlies like it a bit more tangled. I strolled along the flatter part before the final rise of the Dyke turns and sweeps up the hill and my observation seemed to play out as I encountered a couple of Grizzlies – always in the longer, more tangled vegetation and a Small Copper flashed by, unfortunately to be picked up and carried by the breeze that was blustering down the slope. Near the top of the hill I climbed out of the Dyke and left the Grizzlies behind as the dead grasses concealed a few Common Lizards and I didn’t fancy another, possibly closer, encounter with an Adder. Once on the main path my hypothesis bore fruit as there was a brownish blur as opposed to the greyish ones I’d gotten used to. There was my first Dingy Skipper of 2021. It didn’t hang around for long as it was intent on seeing off anything that flew into the field of its radar – first a Peacock, then a male OT and finally it had a pop at a Brimstone. I left it brawling and finally reached the very top. It was less impressive that I’d expected with a cross roads of tracks although I do recall that the area to the left historically held Silver Spotted Skippers so may be worth a chance later in the year? After watching some Brimstone interaction I started back down encountering the Dingy again briefly.
24-04-2021a 13.JPG
24-04-2021a 15.JPG
24-04-2021a 16.JPG
After lunch sat on the side of the Dyke and surveying the impressive view the wind had really picked up and the occasional Brimstone and single Peacock that I saw were being practically thrown about by it so I set off seeking some shelter. To this end I took the diagonal path across the down and when I reached one of the islands of vegetation I took one of the little tunnel paths. Almost as soon as I stepped in the breeze ceased, the temperature rose and I spotted several butterflies the first of which was a Specklie. I watched as it flew away from me, turned and flew towards and then past me before turning back again and repeating this action , possibly ad infinitum although I didn’t hang around that long! As I wandered along enjoying the warmth from being out of the wind I was joined by a several Brimstones, most of which went sailing over the tops of the hedges, a male OT that was on a mission and a Small White also on a mission though its mission seemed less important as they always seem to fly with less impetus than their orange-tipped cousins. Along the length of this path I also passed through a further two Specklie territories and I each one displayed a similar behaviour to the first.
24-04-2021a 17.JPG
Upon exiting a Grizzlie shot past me; while in tunnel I’d forgotten about the breeziness and so I once more made for shelter – this time to the other island of scrub. One of the tracks ran along the edge of this and off from here was a smaller track that led into a small clearing. A Peacock was standing guard at the entrance and so I followed it down the little track and into this clearing. If the tunnel had been pleasant this was bliss with barely a whisper of wind able to penetrate the thick walls of scrub and the pale grass reflecting the sun back up at you it was wonderfully warm and peaceful. The Peacock made to land but was chased off by a much smaller grey looking butterfly. Ignoring the Peacock I watched the smaller grey blob which landed on a Hawthorn and immediately became an emerald Green Hairstreak. I spent some time with it as it was so pleasant in here away from the wind. It would occasionally fly out and along the line of the hedge but always returned to one of three bushes – the Hawthorn, Gorse or a Bramble. A few Brimstones came and went as did a Comma but I spent most of time enjoying the green one. I almost didn’t want to leave but I had to tear myself away and on exiting the Peacock had resumed sentry duty. To be honest he was a bit crap at guarding as he kept running away!
24-04-2021a 19.JPG
24-04-2021a 20.JPG
I phoned my wife and discovered that I had more time than expected so I zigged my way back to Greenstreak Field. A pair of Peacocks were sparring at the edge and on the Gorse there was the same Greenstreak that I’d last seen before setting off up the Dyke. He’d obviously proved a more doughty fighter than Blobby and One Spot but again he showed a penchant for selecting the flimsiest of perches which rocked chaotically in the breeze. After this I made my way back through the Gorse fields and down the tunnel track - there were the usual suspects (Brimstone, OT, Peacock) as well as Green Hairstreak and a Comma at either end. The walk along the hedge back to the car didn’t throw up anything new , in fact there were no butterflies along this stretch of path and all too soon I was in the car and counting Whites on the drive out (1 Small White, 2 OT’s and 3 Brimstones) and wondering what to do/where to go next?
24-04-2021a 21.JPG
Wall to wall blue sky
But the wind made it hard work
A Greenstreak heaven

Wurzel
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Greenstreaks in a gale
But who is it that did wail?
A good epic tale!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: For the Greenstreaks
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great encounter with the Green one, and superb images to match.
Almost a full house of white spots too :mrgreen: .
They make for a great shot when on Gorse, a sight I've only seen once.

A couple more :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for good measure, stay well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Katrina :D
I'd thank you in rhyme
But I prefer the Hai ku
Sending gratitude :D
Cheers Trevor :D I think there were a few named 'forms' among those Greenstreaks 8) Martin Down is great as there are the usual Greenstreak vantage points and right next to them stands of Gorse - so often the same butterfly will flit between one and the other allowing you can get the full gamut of shots 8)

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Later that afternoon… 24-04-2021

Where I ended up next was… Martin Down, only over at the main car park just off of the A350. After finding a Grizzlie so quickly here on my last visit I thought that I’d try my luck again and so I quickly made my way along the gravelly footpath and then took the first right to work my way around the large body of scrub. I scanned ahead checking all the Dandelions that I could see but none held a Grizzlie. As I was checking out the edges of the wall of scrub another Adder popped up and then promptly disappeared in amongst the gorse. As I was still reeling from another close encounter a small, bright orange butterfly opened up its wings – finally I had a few shots of a Small Copper. However it was a bit jittery and so I only managed a handful of record shots before it was on its way. I walked on round, hoping to reacquaint myself with it but alas it didn’t show again and a Brimstone and Specklie tried their best to offer some consolation.
24-04-2021b 1.JPG
My wanderings had brought me full circle and I’d ended up back in the car park with still about an hour to kill so I made the mad dash across the A350 and set off to check out Kitt’s Grave. An Orange-tip flew across the path from one hedge to the other as I passed through the second of the three gates but that was about it until I’d turned left and then right and so was on part of the usual Vernditch Walk. Almost as soon as I’d turned the corner there was a flutter of butterflies. It was hard to work out what to try for first. The passing Peacock made it easy for me- heading off up the path so I was sure to meet up later. Flying up from the path was a Greenstreak which I hadn’t expected to see here (though I don’t know why not?) and I momentarily toyed with the idea of focusing on that but then a pair of Brimstones made their way towards me. The female had obviously had enough and flopped onto the track, wings wide open and abdomen arching in rejection. The male didn’t seem to get the message at first as he walked over her outstretched wings and flapped his own wings a bit. I clicked away, hoping just hoping that I might catch something of his open wings. He became a bit more reticent and flapped a little less and then just stood there, wings closed and looking morose while the female all the while was stock still, the little orange dots on her wings visible for all to see.
24-04-2021b 3.JPG
24-04-2021b 4.JPG
24-04-2021b 5.JPG
Really chuffed with witnessing this behaviour I wanted to move on but the Brimstones were hogging the path so I had to wait for the male to give in. He’d only just gone when the female headed off as well, leaving me to carry on. I re-found the Peacock sunning itself slightly further along the track and I spot another Greenstreak in the hedge. It flies in the usual jinking style but more weakly and when I manage to get a closer look I can clearly see why – both its wings are curled round, deformed or damaged and give a glimpse of the topside ground colour. I do find it slightly amusing/odd that the underside that we see is gorgeous to behold yet we butterfliers really want to see the dull, milk chocolate brown and boring topside!
24-04-2021b 6.JPG
On along I scan into the three scallops carved from the edges of the track. In the first there is a Peacock and a Comma, a male Brimstone in the second and in the third and final one an Orange-tip passes by on patrol. As I start down into the little valleys I spot another Peacock basking on the track and a Comma flies past but everything now is a little gittery and approaching anything was really tricky. I was hoping that the Grizzlies would have emerged and would be holding court at the bottom of the valleys but I walk along almost to the end without seeing anything. As I start back an Orange-tip lands and I have the usual internal debate. Do I just enjoy watching it or should I make an approach and try for a few shots? Usually it becomes moot as the butterfly nips off before the mental argument has got started but this one was feeding really intently. So I took a few steps and it didn’t move. Thinking what the hell I just strolled up to it, knelt down and clicked away. I then backed away and continued back, leaving it still at the same patch of flowers feeding just as intensely.
24-04-2021b 7.JPG
On the return leg the Peacock and Comma re back in their scallop and further along the track s an aged Peacock, one I’d not seen on the outward journey but apart from that it seemed quieter this time round. As I neared the end of the track and the T-junction something white in a Gorse caught my attention as t was out of place. It was too small for any of the Pierids and it didn’t have a yellowy tinge but a cooler hint of blue. As I got even closer I realised that it was a Holly Blue, my shot of one in 2021. It didn’t oblige me and open up but to be honest I didn’t mind as at last I had one on my memory card rather than as a fleeting glimpse.
24-04-2021b 8.JPG
24-04-2021b 9.JPG
Having successfully and safely crossed back over to Martin Down I discovered that I still had some time so I decided to try another walk around the large island of scrub. As I neared the log and the patch of scrub where I’d seen the Adder before I slowed down and tried to put my feet down as slowly and as gently as possible so as not to send it any warning vibrations should it be there. This time I was hoping to see it and so locating it wasn’t difficult. It didn’t seem to twig that I was there and it set off in a hunting pattern, lopping around over and under various twigs and branches. It was getting closer and closer to me so I did my best to try and not spook it, barely breathing and clenching as many muscles as possible. Despite this it somehow sensed me and shot off lifting its body up and over a small bush in almost a small jump.
24-04-2021b 10.JPG
24-04-2021b 11.JPG
24-04-2021b 12.JPG
Once it had retreated I returned to the car and drove homewards taking stock of the day. It had started out dismally and had just got better and better – a first for the year, getting shots of Small Copper and Holly Blue, plenty of Greenstreaks, open wing Brimstones and to cap it all a meeting with Hissing Sid! Brill! :D

Plenty more action
But a reptile steals the show
Adieu Hissing Sid

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Wurzel wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:42 pm But I prefer the Hai ku
Ah - that’s what they are! Excellent.

Great adder encounters Wurzel - I see far fewer than I should - something to do with stomping around trying to fit in far more than I have time for!

Return to “Personal Diaries”