Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You've got to laugh, haven't you?!! Honestly Allan, I'm not doing it deliberately, but you're going to have to help me out here. That moth looked very, very similar to the one I posted before hibernation and was in the same place. That previous post also contained an image of a moth that was obviously a Silver-y and even I could see that they looked different - but only after Neil had pointed it out to me!!!! So for the future (especially as I may return to that field), is there a simple way which would allow me to differentiate? You can see that I am in dire need of some help :roll: :lol: :lol:
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hi Pauline ,
Although very similar in shape ,and although the Silver Y is VERY variable, when Silv Y and DP are seen together ,the differences become quite obvious . The Dewicks is also a pretty rare moth ,that said over the last few seasons more do seem to be being reported ,i,ve only ever seen 2 . I posted an item a while back called "Story of a moth " . I would recommend the superb field guide to the moths of GB and Ireland by Waring ,Townsend and Lewington .............this is my go to book (thats if you don,t already own it ! ) try for the latest edition .
Love the Deaths Head , I,ve seen the huge larvae ,years ago at a Kent Butterfly cons meeting ,but never been lucky enough to find any myself ,but i have seen the moth .
Regards Allan.W.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks for this Allan and for the recommendation. You might remember that I saw this one earlier in the year not too far away and I agree that they are quite distinctive when fresh. However, faded specimens leave me totally defeated:
P1230691ad.jpg
Back to the garden. At the end of the season I was somewhat surprised to see a female Southern Hawker egg-laying all over the rockery and the plant pots. I have a small wildlife pond at the front but this was at the back and the only water source was a rather large container provided for the ducks - and that is emptied and cleaned regularly:
P1300911ad.jpg
P1300916ad.jpg
P1300934ad.jpg
Is that an egg I wonder?
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Yes cracking looking moths Pauline ,i posted a bit on page 8. of "Sightings" a while back ,which may be of interest ,entitled
"Story of a moth " Regards Allan.W.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Whoops !! Sorry about that Pauline................repeating the bit about "Story of a moth " ..............having a bit of a wierd senior moment there !! Apologies ............ Regards Allan.W.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

No worries Allan - an interesting read about an interesting find. It prompted me to look up more details so I could see what the larva looks like.

Only 2 butterflies seen in the garden so far - Brimstone and Peacock - so a few now from the end of last season:
P1300864ad.jpg
P1300717ad.jpg
P1300661ad.jpg
P1300862ad.jpg
P1300894d.jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline. Glad to see you are back out of hibernation but sorry to hear about the problems with your birds.

Some interesting posts to tie up last year, especially the Deaths Head Hawk Moth. I saw a couple of these a few years back that had been raised from eggs purchased online and was amazed at their size in the flesh.
I noticed your Silver Y but see that Allan has already commented.
Last year appears to have been a good year for Dewick's Plusia with a number reported from up here in Warwickshire, not by me though. Interestingly, most of the reports up here were from them coming to pheromone lures for the related Ni Moth. This lure also attracts Silver Y Moth too and I had a go with it myself and had more Silver Ys to it than to my light trap, no Dewick's or Ni Moths though...maybe this year.

Cheers,

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Neil. I wish the birds were the only problem I have but sadly that is not the case. Pleased you are enjoying my posts. I have come to the conclusion that for the time being at least I am going to have to rely on yourself and other moth experts for a helping hand :)

Having had 2 rooms replastered over the Christmas period I was left with a whole mass of decorating to get on with. I had applied a mist coat which is just the messiest job and had just finished the first 'proper' coat when I decided a change of scene was a necessity. I decided on a quick walk around Noar Hill just because of its proximity even tho' I reckoned in early Feb it would be a bit bleak. I wish I hadn't bothered. After all the time I have spent writing and meeting with the management there (and not just me I have discovered) they are still cutting down and burning the young Blackthorn with Brown Hairstreak eggs on them. In 3 hours I found several eggs on discarded branches which hadn't yet been burned. Apart from that only one egg which I shall try to monitor if the branch is not cut down. So sad and depressing. I have come to the conclusion that it is just not worth contacting them again and I am just waiting for them to blame Ash Die Back for the lack of the butterfly.
P1070813d.jpg
P1070816d.jpg
P1070817d.jpg
P1070818d.jpg
P1070819d.jpg
I wonder if they would get away with doing this repeatedly in any other county?!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just a quick update on the last post. A brief visit to Noar Hill to monitor 'my' egg. Not sure whether something has tried to get at it but managed to find 2 more in the hour I was there. Interestingly not a single butterfly of any sort seen despite the gorgeous weather:
P1070850ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well, that's about it for 2022! I usually try to make the first 'proper' post of the season a bit memorable but I fear this one will be memorable for all the wrong reasons. I doubt whether you will have seen any worse photography but it is all I've got so here goes. First off, a bit of background. Over the years I have seen 63 bird species in the garden which was always teeming with birds. Everything from Turtle Doves to Owls and a great deal more. That all changed over the last half dozen years when a neighbour moved in with 5 cats and they decimated the wildlife and a number of my pets. I decided that had to change and since it has, the birds are starting to return. I was really pleased to see both Blackcap and Brambling in the garden the other day - the first time for 5 years or so and the latest I have seen a Brambling here. Trouble is, I live in an old house and these shots were taken through the old heritage (wavy) glass (well, had to get my excuses in early). At least it is proof:
P1070881d.jpg
P1070914ad.jpg
The following day I decided to sit quietly outside with the camera hoping they might return. (They did, but not until I was back indoors!!). I was watching a couple of Robins pottering around - a pair I presume - when I saw what I originally thought was another Robin tumbling quickly down from the Oak trees and into the Hawthorn before flying back up. It all happened so quickly. I could see the orange/red colour but it was in 2 different areas. As they reached the Hawthorn they separated before flying back up - 2 tiny little birds, less than half the size of the Robins. One of them returned briefly but was spooked by a dog barking. I have Goldcrests in the garden very frequently and it definitely wasn't that. I do believe it was a pair of male Firecrests which I have never seen before. I was beyond excited even tho' I have yet to get a photo. I was out there again today. No firecrests but both male and female Blackcap and what I think is a Dunnock nest in the Honeysuckle.

Whilst watching the birds I have now also seen a Holly Blue, Comma, Large White (trapped in the rabbits' kennel), Male and female Brimstone, Peacock and Red Admiral:
P1070903ad.jpg
P1070933ad.jpg
One of the Orange Tip pupa remains remarkably green - the only one to survive on its stem. Reckon I shall have to glue the others back on:
P1070907ad.jpg
Last but definitely not least my little cat Jaffa who really should have been called Shadow as she follows me wherever I go. Here she is checking out some herbs I have just planted for the rabbits before following me back indoors:
P1070827ad.jpg
P1070836ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to see you back Goldie :D Great to see the avant garde Brambling :wink: I know what you mean about the heritage windows I'm lucky though in that respect as I never have to shoot through the window as the little square of concrete seldom has anything in it :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Yep, it's been a while Wurzel, but as far as I know I didn't undergo any metamorphosis :) Sorry to hear about your concrete jungle view :(

Keen to improve my bird photography I persevered with the garden visitors. The first to capture my imagination was a Starling serenading me with a very sweet song. When I looked up I saw a stunning bird displaying a myriad of colours in the sunshine - purple, green, turquoise and more. Beautiful. Pity I couldn't capture the full extent on camera.
P1070872ad.jpg
P1070924d.jpg
P1070932ad.jpg
P1070942ad.jpg
P1070950ad.jpg
P1070946ad.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Apart from all the other lovely images, Pauline, it's so great to see Jaffa in all her glory.

Maybe best to stay away from Noar Hill for a while though. Not good for the mental health! :(
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you David - you know how special she is.

A few more from the garden:
P1070984ad.jpg
P1070980ad.jpg
P1070975ad.jpg
P1070965ad.jpg
P1070986ad.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

What a magnificent bird, Pauline! Whatever it caught seems to be utterly destroyed. How close did you manage to get to capture those terrific images?

Cheers,

Dave
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Dave, how are you? Missed you at Worthing. I would rather have not gone out in those gales and torrential rain yesterday but I had a blood test booked. I spotted that female Sparrowhawk just outside the front gate and it didn't even budge when I drove past it into the garage. The Woodpigeon that it was swiftly devouring was beyond saving, even by me!! :wink: :lol: :lol: I managed to get to within about 6-8 feet of the bird which only shuffled a few inches when a neighbour with 2 Lurchers walked past. He came back with his mobile phone and also got close for some shots before we both left it in peace to finish its meal. A few more shots:
P1070967ad.jpg
P1070979ad.jpg
P1070969ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking views of the Hawk there Pauline :shock: 8) :mrgreen: I've never actually seen one on the kill just as either a silhouette in the sky or like a grey-brown exocet missle bouncing over fences and hedges 8) :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Impressive bird of prey images, Pauline.

Sad for the victim, but these things are all part of the natural rhythm of life and should be left alone in all but exceptional instances.

Those amber eyes are priceless! :mrgreen:
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel. Sadly it is a far too common occurence in my garden for my liking although the male of the species is the culprit I see most often. The last time they were breeding in the vicinity the male would take up to 8 birds daily from the garden - mostly the smaller birds, eg Blackbirds - whilst the female takes the larger ones. They can be very bold (desperate, hungry, feeding chick?) - I remember a male Sparrowhawk taking a tame -ish male Blackbird only a metre or so from my feet!

Thank you David - much appreciated.

In the garden today I have noted a Wren (hopping between the hanging baskets), a Siskin (first again for about 5 years), a couple of Goldcrests feeding in the Leylandii, Goldfinches flying over and numerous others. I was told by a friend recently that there are Lesser-spotted Woodpeckers in the vicinity so I have been keeping my eyes peeled. Most days Greater Spotted can be seen here, easily identifiable and certainly not unusual. I have never knowingly seen a Lesser-spotted. However, a Woodpecker landed at the top of probably the highest tree in the garden and looked a bit different. It certainly looked smaller and behaved differently in that it didn't come down low to the feeders. Because of the distance and the surprise element the photos are probably not good enough but can anyone out there give me a positive ID please. One is heavily cropped, the other isn't. This was the only angle I could get:
P1080023ad.jpg
P1080027d.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well, I guess those shots just weren't good enough for an ID (hardly surprising). Either that, or the general concensus is that it is a Greater Spotted. I have been keeping my eyes peeled since and lots of Greater Spotted seen, but nothing that could be mistaken for a Lesser-spotted by any stretch of the imagination. I shall keep watching.

Return to “Personal Diaries”