Butterflysaurus rex

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Wurzel »

That Peacock shot is beautifully framed Rex :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Thank you very much indeed Goldie and Wurzel. :D

The Pearls of Abbot's Wood.

Thanks to a cold like virus and my camera deciding to mess me about I've not been out much or taken many photos yet this spring. Despite these setbacks I've still managed see most of the spring butterflies with the exception of the Duke and Duchess 'and until today' some Pearl Bordered Fritillaries.

So with this in mind I popped over to Abbots wood in search of some PBF's. To my surprise and delight there were a lot more Pearls on the wing than I had expected. The warm conditions ensured they were very active, even during the prolonged overcast spell mid morning. The highlights of the day included this heavily marked male, possibly and ab?
PBF Male.jpg
And thanks to eagle eyed Dave a mating pair.
PBF Mating.jpg
It was a joy to see so many Pearl's, long may it continue.

Thanks for looking.

ATB, James

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Sorry to hear you've been unwell but glad you've been able to get out. Great shots of the Pearls, I'm already planning another trip to Abbots Wood to get a serious dose of them next week!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Butterflysaurus rex

Thanks Paul, it was one of those bugs that just went on and on.... Try and get over to Abbot's Wood as soon as you're able, there are still a lot of very fresh looking ones about. As ever the problem is getting them to sit still long enough for a photo. I look forward to seeing your photos and reading your report.

ATB

James

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Glad you're feeling better, James, very nice PBF shots :D

Mike

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Brilliant photos James!

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI James,

I'd call that first image of the PBF a bread and butter shot,
with a good layer of jam on it with the mating pair.

Seriously superb stuff. I've been to Abbots Wood quite regularly this year and
to me the Pearls are having a better year than the last two.

Keep well,
Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

You have pulled off a duo of excellent images. Firstly, that PBF is surely sufficiently irregularly marked to qualify as an ab., and a mating pair is the icing on the cake.

Superb stuff!

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Excellent shots James. And there was you asking about how to get decent Pearl shots!! My turn now, how do you get decent Pearl shots????

Butterflysaurus rex

Maximus wrote:Glad you're feeling better, James, very nice PBF shots :D

Mike
Thank you Mike, aren't kids are wonderful, they are particularly adept at picking up every bug going and giving it to you. My immune system needs a holiday!
Katrina wrote:Brilliant photos James!
Very kind of you Katrina, I'm quite relieved to have taken something that didn't need putting in the bin. I've had a bit of camera trouble lately so that's where most of my photos have ended up.
trevor wrote:HI James,

I'd call that first image of the PBF a bread and butter shot,
with a good layer of jam on it with the mating pair.

Seriously superb stuff. I've been to Abbots Wood quite regularly this year and
to me the Pearls are having a better year than the last two.

Keep well,
Trevor.
I agree Trevor it was fantastic there today, I missed out on most of last years PBF's due to ill health. More than made up for it today though.
David M wrote:You have pulled off a duo of excellent images. Firstly, that PBF is surely sufficiently irregularly marked to qualify as an ab., and a mating pair is the icing on the cake.

Superb stuff!
Thank you David, I've seen Pearl Bordered Fritillaries with pronounced markings before but this one really cought my attention. The large blocks on the forewings are a little bit asymmetrical. I didn't notice that until I got home.
I was delighted to see the mating pair too of course.
badgerbob wrote:Excellent shots James. And there was you asking about how to get decent Pearl shots!! My turn now, how do you get decent Pearl shots????
Well you get a large butterfly net and some superglue. Perish the thought! As you said it's all down to luck. I still want to know how you manage to be so lucky so often though. Your recent PBF photos have been fantastic.

Many thanks to you all.

James

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic photos Rex - good to see you back on top form! I would definitely add that Pearl to my files as an aberrant. :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

kevling

Post by kevling »

Lovely PBF photos James. Hope they are still about at the end of the month when I hit the sunny west country.

Regards Kev

Butterflysaurus rex

Wurzel wrote:Fantastic photos Rex - good to see you back on top form! I would definitely add that Pearl to my files as an aberrant. :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Cheers Wurzel, I was very lucky to get a photo of it, I got there reasonably early and it was the first one I saw. Sometimes luck is on your side. :D
kevling wrote:Lovely PBF photos James. Hope they are still about at the end of the month when I hit the sunny west country.

Regards Kev
Thanks very much Kev, I hear they are not started yet in a West Sussex location, so if they are later further west then I think you're in with a very good chance. Best of luck. :D

Green Hotstreak!

Yesterday I stayed local in the hope of finding some Green Hairstreaks. I arrived at the usual hotspot and it really lived up to it's title. Not for the number of Hairstreaks but because it was so warm, being the balmiest day of year so far. I started searching but there was no sign of a Greenie anywhere - I thought perhaps the GHS's were avoiding me this year, I ignored the paranoia and came to the more sensible conclusion that it was still a bit early. There was no denying that the butterflies were a bit thin on the ground, at least there were a few very fresh Dingy Skippers emerging. After an hour fruitless searching for Green Hairstreaks I saw the familiar figure of Badgerbob off in the distance photographing a Dingy Skipper. It's an odd 'but good' thing but whenever we meet up butterflies appear. We teamed up and started to look around, we hadn't been looking for very long when Bob spotted our first Brown Argus of the year!
Brown Argus (1).jpg
After that we wondered about hoping for more surprises but it wasn't to be. Just after midday Bob had to leave, I thought about heading for home as well but it was lunchtime so I thought I'd have a final look for some Green Hairstreaks while I ate my sandwiches. As ever as soon as you try and eat the action starts. I saw a Greenie settle close by so I chucked my sarnie back in my bag and grabbed my camera.
By now it was so hot that the Hairstreaks were sensibly avoiding the sun making a decent side shot very difficult. these were the best I could manage.
GHS(1).JPG
GHS(2).jpg
Thanks for looking

James

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi James,

Glad to hear you are over your bout of illness. Great reports and photos, particularly those PBF images :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Nice to see a BA finally! :D :mrgreen: Love the way Greenstreaks perch on the end of the twigs 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

I wouldn't mind a couple of Green Hairstreak shots like that, James !.
To me they are the trickiest of all Butterflies to photograph :mrgreen: .

All the best,
Trevor.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great Butterfly Shots Love the Green Hair Streak :D Goldie :D

Butterflysaurus rex

Neil Freeman wrote:Hi James,

Glad to hear you are over your bout of illness. Great reports and photos, particularly those PBF images :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.
Thank you Neil, you are most kind. May I add my heartfelt congratulations on the arrival of your baby granddaughter. :D
trevor wrote:I wouldn't mind a couple of Green Hairstreak shots like that, James !.
To me they are the trickiest of all Butterflies to photograph :mrgreen: .

All the best,
Trevor.
I was really pleased to get a closer look at a couple of Green Hairstreaks Trevor, my previous 2 attempts had failed. They are lovely little things, I find they often sit still for their portrait but it can tricky to capture their true beauty and iridescent sheen. And finding a fresh one can be tricky too of course.
Goldie M wrote:Great Butterfly Shots Love the Green Hair Streak :D Goldie :D
Hello Goldie, I loved your Green Hairstreaks too, I just hadn't gotten around to telling you yet. :D Glad to see you're in amongst the butterflies at last.

Thanks for the lovely comments everyone.

James

Butterflysaurus rex

Just when you thought you'd got rid of me. :wink:

Due to the combined vagaries of bad weather, a poorer than average butterfly season - and being very busy indeed I conceded that is was probably best to put my diary on ice for a while. I still went out as much as I could but I generally stayed close to home this year. Luckily I still saw some interesting things and I managed to take a few photos, so without further ado I'll start off roughly where I left off.

It was a struggle to find many Orange tips locally but I managed to find a few and I observed a bit of their life stages too.
OT Ova.jpg
OT early instar.jpg
OT later instar.jpg
OT male.jpg
Thanks for looking

James

trevor

Post by trevor »

The act of hanging up your camera for what remains of this season, might allow a certain law to kick in.
Especially if you go for a walk over at Tidemills sans camera !.
Hope you will visit the old railway next Spring

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”