Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Neil :D Try and pay Alners a visit if you can and enjoy Dorset ( it should be hard not too :wink: )

Cheers David :D I saw two all day which isn't good for this site but perhaps they're running late, here's hoping...

Cheers Goldie :D If you do make it this way Shipton Bellinger is a cracking place for them too

Cheers Dave I didn't realise the Meadow Brown was there and the shot would already have been a massive fluke :shock: :D

Cheers Philzoid glad to see you had a good holiday and thanks for the ID too :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi Wurzel,
I have just read your report from Alner's Gorse.......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Having just mentioned the lack of hairstreaks in my snaps, you go and get two at the same time!?!?
Good work!
Flutter on!
CJB

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers CJB I assure you it wasn't intentional and I didn't mean to rub it in

Garston Wood
087 - Copy-001.JPG
After staying over at my parents’ house on Saturday the next morning we had a hearty breakfast and took a walk at nearby Garston Wood. There was a slight breeze but it was warm enough for butterflies which I knew as a fact having seen a Red Admiral and five Whites feeding on the Buddleia before we left.
We started walking through the usual area of the wood but because of the wet weather the path was now overgrown and the fallen tree was an obstacle that my mums’ dodgy knee couldn’t cope with so we headed back to the car park and then set out on the wider and easier paths.
Despite the weather there weren’t many butterflies around. I hadn’t expected too much as woodlands seem to offer the greatest range of species during July but throughout the brief visit to the “old plantation” I’d seen a couple of Speckies and a single Meadow Brown. This continued to be the way throughout the whole visit – 2 species the entire morning. However saying that there were good numbers of Speckies and I counted at least 12 over the course of our walk. Some were nice and fresh looking while others appeared to be much more “vintage”.
086 - Copy-001.JPG
102 - Copy-001.JPG
110 - Copy-001.JPG
Once back at the car park we said our goodbyes and then headed home to get the girls their lunch. What with the slow start to the summer, the lack of a prolonged blaze of sun and an almost autumnal feel to the air I’m left wondering how much longer the season will continue?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Chin up, Wurzel! The forecast is good for the weekend and into next week (after a couple of rather nippy nights this week). Maybe the winds will bring us some Clouded Yellows? there have been one or two spotted on the south coast recently. :)

Dave

CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi Wurzel
I never doubted for a minute that it was unintentional! :D
Fingers crossed for some BHS this weekend!
Flutter on!
CJB

David M

Post by David M »

The 'season' is not yet over - the forecast for next week is pretty good and I would expect decent numbers of late summer butterflies.

Of course, most of the rare species have now checked out for the year, but I guess anyone looking for Brown Hairstreak will find a bonus window of opportunity given that it's expected to be in the seventies for much of next week with light winds.

How sad that we've rarely seen such conditions throughout the main summer flight periods of many species. :(

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Here's hoping eh Dave?It would be great if September was all Yellow :D

Good luck with the Brostreaks CJB, fingers crossed :wink:

Totally agree David, this summer hasn't been one to remember fondly weatherwise :(

As to the season ending I think I may have been a little hasty...

Five Rivers

After a sombre visit to Garston Wood in the morning I was lucky enough to spend a couple of hours during the afternoon (Sunday) at Five Rivers. As I was leaving the car park a Holly Blue flew over the cars and then disappeared over the top of the leisure centre. I started off in the long grasses across the main part of the reserve hoping to find some second brood blues and possibly a Brown Argus or Small Copper, species which have been in very low numbers at this site this year. However it was also very quiet with only the occasional Meadow Brown or White making a pass over the tall grass heads. I think that the wet weather has encouraged the grass to grow really tall and this might have proved unsuitable habitat for the blues and the lush, green turf pathways aren’t dry enough for the Small Copper?
Slightly worried I then checked the banks and it was pretty quiet again at the first bank with a few Meadow Browns . At the second bank it was a much more reassuring picture. There were a number of flowering thistles and a large Buddleia which was living up to its’ name of “Butterfly Bush” with 6 Meadow Browns, a Red Admiral, Peacock , Small White and 2 Small Tortoiseshells all feeding from it at different points. One of the Small Tortoiseshells was very accommodating and allowed me to approach it allowing me to get my preferred underside shot but the other held back and adopted an unusual posture a bit further back in the bush.
132 - Copy-001.JPG
142 - Copy-001.JPG
I carried on round couple but apart from a couple of whites and a Speckie or two venturing from one wood to another there wasn’t much else around. One female Small White rested for long enough to get a few shots. I saw her land just up the hill side form me and tried to work my round to the other side of her clockwise but when I had I just couldn’t see her which proved to me how effective a camo they have. The yellowish underside blends in quite well with the vegetation and I only managed to relocate her by working my way back to the point where I’d originally seen her.
157 - Copy-001.JPG
Back at the middle bank the buddleia was the best bet with a Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock still in residence and three of the Meadow Browns still in same place. The other Small Tort kept moving off from the Buddleia, completing a few circuits and then disappearing over the top of the hedge only to reappear again a few minutes later. It would then land for a few minutes in the grasses before moving back to the Buddleia. I also noticed the Peacock exhibiting similar behaviour but more infrequently.
168 - Copy-001.JPG
Thinking that just waiting at the bush wouldn’t find me any blues I checked out the closest bank again and this time I found one a single well worn male. It had lost all of his orange lunules as well as the white fringe to his wings. This could have been why I hadn’t encountered any more I’d missed the main emergence.
181 - Copy-001.JPG
I finally checked the bank and result, at this late stage of the season I got a definite first for the year – a Painted Lady. Over the past couple of years I have managed to find them in ones and twos but never managed to get the under wing view which gives them their names so I was particularly happy to catch this one feeding. It would start at the top of the Buddliea spear and then feed spirally down t the base before either climbing to the next spear or fluttering a few spears away. Unfortunately it worked its’ way further and further back and higher and higher up the bush until I was left just watching and enjoying the behaviour as it was out of range of a decent shot. PL
197 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
200 - Copy-001.JPG
212 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
215 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
And there was me wondering if that was it this morning only to get a first for the season this afternoon! Hopefully it will continue until October!
Have a goodun

Wurzel

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Nice collection of pictures there Wurzel. Sunshine - I remember that!

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Wurzel

Excellent shots of Painted Lady.
Now I am jealous haven't seen one since 2009!

Phil

Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

philm63 wrote:Now I am jealous haven't seen one since 2009!

Phil
Yeah, and the only ones I've seen this year were in one of those butterfly kits a colleague brought into work :mrgreen: Hope we get some over our way soon.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Wurzal, have yet to see a Painted Lady this year :mrgreen: Lets hope the sun arriving brings at least one, also a Red Admiral Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Nick - surely it hasn't been that bad :?

Cheers Phil - they're one their way it seems so fingers crossed :wink:

Cheers Philzoid - I was only acking the other day about Painted Ladies...lets see if it works for Clouded Yellows..."Has anyone seen a clouded Yellow recently?" :wink: :lol:

Cheers Goldie - it looks like Red Admirals should definitey be on the cards from what I've been reading tonight :D

Shipton Bellinger

On Tuesday I made a run to Shipton Bellinger to take advantage of the last bit of sun for a day or two and also to make sure I got a break from house hunting. As I strolled up the hill feeling the sun coming on strong when it came out from behind the clouds there were still whites about but fewer in number than last time. Most were slightly tatty looking too with chunks gone from their wings or scales missing giving them a translucent appearance but there were one or two that still looked presentable.
014 - Copy-001.JPG
As I continued up the track through the double hedges I was accompanied by Holly Blues and Meadow Browns – which were getting very adept at impersonating Brostreaks – even down to a jinky flight. They are very frustrating as you know for a fact that they are Meadow Browns but you feel like you better just check to make sure...As I came out of the onto the open field I could see that a few people were staring into the hedge along the back of the site so I headed over to see what all the fuss was about and got one of my easiest Brostreak sightings ever. “There’s a male there” “Cheers...CLICK...CLICK”
031 - Copy-001.JPG
As we were properly meeting and greeting each other a female came down onto the Brambles just to the right of where the male was. She was still in quite an awkward position for photography but I took a few shots anyway before making room for others. After a short while she headed off and the male joined her I suppose as it went slightly quiet on the brostreak front. John V recognised me and so we joined forces is how you’d put it I suppose and so we trawled the hedge once or twice. There were plenty of Meadow Browns around as well as some obliging Holly Blues and on one patch there was Red Admiral, Peacock, Comma and Holly Blue all taking nectar. After a while things seemed to quieten down so we headed over to the large patch of Brambles where I’d been lucky the last time I was here.
036 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
057 - Copy-001.JPG
The thistle heads had gone to seed by now and there didn’t seem to be many nectaring opportunities available at this patch so I wasn’t surprised not to see any Brostreaks here, disappointed yes but not surprised. It served as a reminder of how transient the butterfly life is, here one day gone the next almost. The last time I was here (a week and half ago) this patch was crawling with butterflies; 2 Brostreaks, Brimstone, Peacocks, Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers all possible in one view. And now a single solitary Holly Blue which did a brief fly by and seemed to get confused as instead of acting like a Hairstreak and staying up high actually landed on the ground deep in the vegetation. It appeared that it was getting mineral salts from discretely hidden dog turd (another one for the “butterflies on poo” book).
062 - Copy-001.JPG
The springy grass turf also held a few butterflies with a Brown Argus or two and two male Common Blues, one of which looked pretty fresh I thought.
098 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
103 - Copy-001.JPG
109 - Copy-001.JPG
Having spent some time with the feisty little Brown Argus we tried the hedge again. By now we were the only people left on the site and the adage “good things come to those who wait” was only partially true as we soon found another male Brostreak (I’d have preferred a female but there we go). He posed very well for us for what felt like an age so we left him in peace and carried on checking the hedge. We found a few more male Common Blues, a Small Heath and loads more Meadow Browns, with 6 balancing on one flower head at one point. On the return journey the male Brostreak was still there so we took a few goodbye shots.
126 - Copy-001.JPG
138 - Copy-001.JPG
186 - Copy-001.JPG
Along the double hedge there was more of the same with the addition of a Small Tortoiseshell which was very flighty and a Comma playing hide and seek in amongst some large leaves. And then all too shortly we were back at the car park. Overall a cracking afternoon with some great butterflies; It was pleasure to meet and photograph with John and I look forward to the next time we bump into each other.
195 - Copy-001 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

P.S. Once at home I had to return to domestic duties mode and as I was about to go and water the greenhouse I noticed a Small Tortoiseshell perched on the wall, so I took a few shots to try and get a close up of its’ palps... So much easier than the Shipton one.
227 - Copy-001 - Copy (2).JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Garden one more time...

Last Friday I took a quick trip around the garden but there were only a few whites flying including this tired and tatty looking individual who would fly for about 1 metre and then collapse seemingly exhausted into the borders.
010 - Copy-001.JPG
Over the rest of the day I was busy, wrapped up in the madness that goes with house buying and so I wasn’t really focused on butterflies. However offer accepted, prospective house off the market and quotes to consider for solicitors, I took a celebratory tour round the garden. I didn’t get very far as on the path were two butterflies basking. As I slunk to the ground and slithered on my elbows towards them another Peacock took off from its’ hiding place on the fence and I watched with baited breath as it passed over the two baskers. Fortunately they remained with only the odd wing twitch to suggest they’d even registered the other butterfly. I waited for a bit and then continued gradually edging forward until they were both in shot. There was a fine line between getting close enough for a sharp shot and getting both butterflies in the same shot. In the end it proved too difficult and so I tried to get individual shots of both butterflies.
020 - Copy-001.JPG
022 - Copy-001.JPG
028 - Copy-001.JPG
I backed up and stood back to watch and from the other side of the garden both butterflies took off. The Peacock went up high and was lost from view over the Ivy arch but the Small Tort only went as high as my neighbours shed where it perched like a much smaller version of those house decorations.
036 - Copy-001.JPG
I tried heading out to Old Sarum on Sunday with the girls the rain stopped play for the butterflies but the girls enjoyed being out and about. They loved walking the rings and then hearing tales of people storming the rings only to be repelled. They love loved the slippy chalk paths and hiding from the rain under the small trees. A great morning all in all.
And now I’m back at work watching butterflies flit by outside while I am trapped inside. Yesterday was particularly bad as we were working in the ICT room and so I could see the hedge, wildlife area and tangled bank just outside the window. Over the hour that we were in there I saw a Comma, Peacock, Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Large White and a Brimstone. As I left work there wasn’t a single butterfly around! Oh well hopefully the weekend will be more productive.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

I understand your work frustration completely wurzel.

Chris

millerd

Post by millerd »

Ditto!

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Thank you for the empathy Chris and Dave!

My frustration reached fever pitch yesterday when I left my at break and a Small Tortoiseshell flew down the corridor, took a wrong turning and tried to leave through the sky light before disappearing back down the corridor and out the door :shock: . All the while my camera was in the boot of my car! :roll:

So in remedy I headed to Five Rivers once the kiddi-winks were in bed. The grassy areas were very quiet with not even a Meadow Brown around so I headed to the Buddleia bush on the middle bank. It too was empty so starting to feel despondent I checked the hedge on the other side of the bank and there, finally was a butterfly. Up high in the bushes was a Small Tortoiseshell basking in the early evening sun, soaking up the rays.
003 - Copy-001.JPG
010 - Copy-001.JPG
After leaving it in peace a large butterfly passed high over head and judging by the almost black appearance it was probably a Peacock. Cheered by two butterflies in as many minutes I went back to the Buddleia and three Red Admirals had just appeared from out of the woodwork. They were quite far back but one came a bit nearer and played a game of hide and seek with me taking nectar from behind some leaves so I could only get glancing shots of it peering round at me.
019 - Copy-001.JPG
As I checked the path and other banks it seemed to suddenly go quiet, the sun had lowered considerably and the shadows lengthened. It suddenly felt late; late in the day and late in the season, leaves starting to turn, migrants stocking up. The butterflies now were non-existent so instead I looked for birds that would allow me to get close enough for my 105mm to get sharp shots. I caught a female Kestrel almost unawares as I came down one bank but other species were slightly more relaxed like the pair of Woodpigeons settling down to roost. Others were still very active like the Willow Chiffs which had taken to acting like Flycatchers, flitting out from a perch to snatch a morsel to lay down as fat ready for the off.
038 - Copy-001.JPG
047 - Copy-001.JPG
053 - Copy-001.JPG
There were still a few Whites along the verges on the way home and I’m hoping there should still be one or two butterflies out and about over the weekend, fingers crossed eh?
062 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Lovely to catch up with your diary and great photos - wished I had got those shots of the painted lady :mrgreen:

Debbie :) :) :)

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote: Cheers Philzoid - I was only acking the other day about Painted Ladies...lets see if it works for Clouded Yellows..."Has anyone seen a clouded Yellow recently?" :wink: :lol:
Just had a week in Dorset and as well as half a dozen Painted Ladies I saw 2 Clouded Yellows, 1 on Wednesday on Bindon Hill at Lulworth Cove and another yesterday(Thursday) on Ballard Down :D :lol:

Cheers,

Neil F.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

A Monarch in Portland ...

I'm expecting BIG things from you Wurzel :wink:

No pressure ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Debbie for your kind comments :D

Cheers Neil - glad you had a blast in Dorset, looking in books is proabably as close as I'll get to Clouded Yellow this year :mrgreen:

Sorry Mark I just couldn't live up to the expectations as I hadn't earnt enough Brownie points from the wife for a flying visit to Portland :( ...

Garden

As much as I’d have loved to have headed back to home soil to try for Monarch unfortunately the joys of being back at work mean that weekends are now for catching up on all those jobs that can’t be done during the week days. However in between errands, bank runs and general domestic duties I did manage to get out into the garden every now and again.
A Red Admiral was perched on the fence to greet me when I first stepped out there but the main site of activity was my neighbours Buddleia. From what I could see whilst peering over the fence it held good numbers of butterflies. The biggest count I made at one time was 4 Small Tortoiseshells, a Red Admiral, male and female Brimstone, Large White and 2 Small Whites. And this was only the parts that I could see from my side of the fence. I stood back to see if that would open the vista when a Comma landed on one of the florets that was just hanging over my side of the garden. I was struck with how dark it was compared to the summer form that I’ve gotten used to, almost purple in colour.
030 - Copy-001.JPG
042 - Copy-001.JPG
I then took a stroll to try and find some Whites as they seem much more approachable at this time of year. I managed to see both Small and Large Whites but it was just a matter of waiting for them to land in a suitable place. I got lucky a couple of times and managed to get up close a couple of times.
054 - Copy-001.JPG
069 - Copy-001.JPG
As I was heading back in to start work again a large hoverfly caught my eye which I believe is the Hornet mimic?
089 - Copy-001.JPG
This could be what it comes to in a short while, back to bees and hoverflies once the butterflies aren’t flying...it’s been a funny old year, productive but funny.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”