Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D I think we should set up an annual Hairstreak Exchange trip :lol: Unfortunately though I might need to save the Brownie points for a different species next year :wink:
There should be an Anti-Johnny Come Lately Law as far as I'm concerned :evil: :wink:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I'm hoping so Wurzel, to be on the South Downs with my Camera would make my day, Roll on, :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D You'll be there before you know it :wink: :D

Garston Wood 11-06-2020

I took an early lunch today so that we could meet up with my mum and dad for a walk (Socially Distancing of course) at Garston Wood. The weather report was as vague as usual; “sunny intervals with gusting breezes and possibly a shower” so pretty much all bases covered then, hence it was no real surprise when we passed through a shower on the way there. All a bit depressing really but as we pulled into the car park the wind dropped to barely a whisper, the rain ceased as quickly as if a tap had been turned off and the sun came out. As we’d arrived a bit early I took a quick stroll up the main track from the car park. Meadow Browns flew in the vegetation along the verges and I counted 5 Large Skipper including 2 females spread along a short stretch of verge.

Once my parents arrived we set off along the bottom path following our usual route and I stopped at one clump of Bramble for a distant Green-veined White and an interesting looking Hoverfly. The Bluebells are well over now but a few Butterfly Orchids were still putting in a good showing dotted occasionally at the edge of the paths. We ended up at what had been the snack point but now that we can linger longer is the picnic point at the fallen log.
11-06-2020 1.JPG
11-06-2020 2.JPG
After our repast we packed up and started off again and after a few steps I spotted a couple of Meadow Browns. One in particular caught my eye as it caught the light perfectly as it opened up to bask changing the leading edge of the fore wing to a band of orange with green streaks. It flew and landed a bit nearer to both the path and me and angled itself so as to maximise its basking potential. Again it opened up and again it caught the light but instead of the myriad of colours along the leading edge the entire butterfly took on an almost metallic lustre, like a browner version of Copper, with the occasional scale glittering. I’m finding myself becoming more and more fond of Meadow Browns, they always have something new to offer once you get past the stereotype of them being ‘common and mundane’.
11-06-2020 3.JPG
11-06-2020 4.JPG
On through the ‘enclosure’ we went with a single a white and a Red Admiral bombing past the only butterflies of note here. Neither of the blighters stopped for a photo but to be honest I didn’t mind because by not stopping to try and get shots of them I was perfectly placed to see my first Silver Washed of the year. Even better it flew up from in the middle of the foliage to land in a Bramble flower just to my right. I was able to lean in and get some shots of what turned out to be a ridiculously fresh specimen – it was immaculate, not a tear or rip in sight, not a scale out of place even and actually it was so fresh that the androconia were almost standing upright from the wing. It was stunning and made even more so as it’s the largest butterfly I’ve seen this year – huge by comparison to the Large Skippers, Brown Argus and even the Meadow Browns I’ve seen recently. To think if I’d tarried with the Red Admiral I could have missed this?!
11-06-2020 7.JPG
Further along as the path started to climb I spied a second which wasn’t as well behaved but to be fair to it this was five or so minutes later and 5 more minutes of basking/suns’ warmth makes butterflies much more lively. Meadow Browns and Large Skippers were becoming more numerous now but and as when we reached the small cleared field roughly in the middle of the old Plantation the Meadow Browns did the fantastic party piece where they erupt from the tall, tussocky grass en masse. As one flew up it stuck out like a sore thumb and I watched as it settled and then went in for a few shots – a Marbled White and like most of the butterflies today beautifully fresh looking.
11-06-2020 9.JPG
11-06-2020 11.JPG
A few Specklies accompanied us as we took the final stretch to the car park and then we said our goodbyes, piled in the car and made for home stopping only once for some Watercress. As we left Broadchalk the heavens opened so our walk was perfectly timed as well as perfectly pleasant!

Metal Meadow Brown
In Garston Wood be hiding
Show-off Marbled White

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Butterflies Wurzel, so fresh, That Sliver Washed Fritillary is a Beauty, I didn't realise the Marbled White came out so early or the SWF, I was lucky to see both in July, hope fully I'll be on the move next year and get to see more Butterflies :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Things have been getting earlier and earlier over the last few years, fingers crossed for you for 2021 :wink: 8)

Grovely Wood 14-06-2020

“Never trust the BBC App! I did once and I didn’t get away with it!” This was my overriding thought first thing when I looked out of the window. The forecast for the last few days had continually shown Saturday to be cooler, cloudier and wetter, in fact it had done so right up to my last check at about 10pm on Saturday. Sunday morning it’s tipping it down! Luckily it started to rain less and less heavily as the morning wore on and it started to brighten slightly. On the journey over to Grovely there were even a few patches of blue sky though when we started these had been quickly filled in with grey. As we strolled up the hill and then into the wood there were only a few Meadow Browns to write down on the tally but these didn’t appear until after the Witchy Trees in the longer grass on our turn off track. Also here was a Specklie that had been caught out by the drop in temp as the sun had disappeared. It was moribund on the deck only capable of the weakest of flaps when one of the girls pointed their finger at it.

Still things did start to brighten up as well walked along the track to the picnic spot and as we ate lunch started to brighten more and more and with the lightening skies came more and more butterflies; Specklies mainly with the occasional Meadow Brown. I then experienced one of those odd behaviour set-ups. I went to approach on Specklie that was sitting really nicely on a frond of Bracken and I noticed that sitting behind it slightly deeper into the verge was a second. After a few shots of the closer I lent in slightly to try for the second. I thought that I was going to have to be quick as I was now stretching over the first Specklie and I was convinced I would spook it. But no it sat there good as gold not moving. The second Specklie that I had manoeuvred so carefully for however took flight after a single shot which I couldn’t fathom. As I extricate myself from the Bracken the first Specklie remains seated only taking to the wing once I’ve backed away and started down the path again!
14-06-2020 1.JPG
After this we got back to walking but when we reached the little cleared field with its strips of land demarked by the thin Bramble hedges I tarried a while. The grass is now above waist in some places and Meadow Browns would erupt like little puffs of smoke as I snaked my feet in and around the grass stems. A Red Admiral on one of small Bramble hedges caught my eye and after watching it for a moment I was able to get in for a few shots. As I’m enjoying the Red Admiral I spy a couple of Meadow Browns sticking out amid the unusual Browns and a Silver-washed glides downhill out of the wood seeming to bounce over each of the little hedges as it continued its descent. It must have felt a little uncomfortable exposed and out in the open as it was and at the final hedge it did a ‘U-y’ and quickly retraced its flight disappearing back into the wood. I followed its lead and made to retrace my steps when I spotted a Skipper that didn’t ‘fit’ with the Large Skippers I was seeing. It was noticeably smaller and more of an orange colour than yellow. Luckily for me it paused to take a sip of nectar and there was my first Small Skipper of 2020. Brill.
14-06-2020 3.JPG
14-06-2020 4.JPG
14-06-2020 5.JPG
I set off to catch off with the others and a Red Admiral flashed by but I paid it little heed and when I had reached the others we were in the field at the top of the down. All along the top there were large Thistles randomly distributed and I immediately thought – DGF. So whilst the others admired the view and had a brief wander I walked quickly scanning all of the flower tops hoping for a flash of bright ginger. I spotted a Meadow brown and then another, a Large White went by without stopping but where were the DGFs? This looked like manna from heaven for them yet they were nowhere to be seen? At the furthest point that I reached in the field I did see an orange splash – but it was the wrong shade of ginger. As I cautiously approached it whilst it sat on the deck I saw that it was a fresh Small Tort. I then got called back and is so often the way what I was looking for turned up just as I was leaving. I risked a quick grab shot and then hurried to catch up with the rest of the family.
14-06-2020 6.JPG
14-06-2020 7.JPG
The walk back from this point was quite quiet with only a couple of Large Skippers (two of which were females) to note and all too soon we were back in the car park and heading for home. Back to (going into) work again tomorrow.
14-06-2020 8.JPG
14-06-2020 9.JPG
14-06-2020 10.JPG
Once more to Grovely
First Small Skipper of the Year
Dark Greens a no-show?

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

September 2020

Hopefully we might get an Indian Summer to stave off the autumnal feel as I'm not quite ready to pack away the camera yet!
Not just a Brown Argus but a Southern Brown Argus...
Not just a Brown Argus but a Southern Brown Argus...

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Woodhenge 15-06-2020

With the sun shining down at lunch time I was tempted to get out and check out the far corner of the round by the broken mower and the large Bramble patch. The only problem was that I didn’t see how I could get there without first entering into Bubble A’s Zone – I wasn’t even sure if that was allowed and I didn’t want to cross contaminate the work zone. So instead I stopped off on the way home at Woodhenge. This had the advantage that there was a large space and so more butterflies but the disadvantage that by now it was warmer so there were much less likely to sit still. Bearing this in mind I girded my loins and set to stalking.

I checked out the old dead road by the car park first and managed to locate what I was hoping to see almost immediately. There was a lovely Marbled White sitting atop a Knapweed. However appearances can be deceptive and whilst it looked lovely it had a bit of a bad attitude in that it kept flying off just as I was about to get my shot. I persevered and got at least a record before moving on to the small field in front of the car park. When I did Meadow Browns erupted before me as I waded through the sea of grass seeking out the little islands of flowers. I was sure that there were some Ringlets in there somewhere but I couldn’t confirm a single one as any likely suspects either kept on flying or if they did land became Meadow Browns. I settled into the old rhythm of taking a few steps and watching and waiting for butterflies to settle nearby – although at this temperature this meant mostly just waiting! Once I got amid the Ox-eye Daisies the numbers I was seeing drastically increased and instead of the Meadow Browns being ubiquitous suddenly the Marbled Whites felt like the most common species. There were also a few nice little additions with a Small Tort standing out like a sore thumb on the white petals, a Dragonfly dropped in and kindly sat still long enough for an approach and I managed to spy a Small Heath. It seemed to be playing Gooseberry as the clump of Knapweed held host to several Marbled Whites.
15-06-2020 1.JPG
15-06-2020 2.JPG
15-06-2020 3.JPG
15-06-2020 4.JPG
15-06-2020 5.JPG
15-06-2020 6.JPG
15-06-2020 7.JPG
15-06-2020 8.JPG
A really nice way to relax after a very unusual day at work.

Bubble work complete
Good numbers of Marbled Whites
Watch them and unwind

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

That Dragon Fly shot is sublime, not sure if it looks like polished brass or gold.
It's certainly a species I've not seen before. Marbled Whites seem an age ago.

More great stuff, stay well.
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D Philzoid ID'd it for me as a female Black-tailed Skimmer - I didn't expect to see that there to be honest :D 8)

Larkhill 16-06-2020

After the shock to the system of spending two consecutive days in work I called in at Larkhill on the way home for a brief spell. Once the dangerous job of crossing the road had been completed successfully I paused to work out which of the three routes to take. It had been a fair old while since I was here last and so the grass had grown and was now smothering out all but the tallest wild flowers. The taller patch of scrub which runs from the path across the field at ninety degrees to the road looked promising and so I set off straight ahead.

Due to the time of day most butterflies were a blur as they bombed by fully warmed up and solar charged and I’d soon spotted a couple of Large Skippers on the edge of the path, a Small Heath and handfuls of Meadow Browns erupting from the deck as is their want. Something larger and brighter took off from in the middle of the scrub which is a poor excuse for a hedge and I watched with baited breath as a gorgeous Small Tort glided back and forth trying to pick out where to land. The first time it went down I managed only the briefest of shots before it had decided it wanted something with a bit more piquancy and so took off again. Again I managed to follow it and then it went down to feed on a Pyramidal/Fragrant Orchid – brilliant another shot for another of my collections!
16-06-2020 2.JPG
Chuffed with this I walked back to the path adding another Small Tort, a Common Blue and a brace of Marbled Whites to the tally. On reaching the path I turned right heading up the slight incline and I set to scanning left and right of the path where the vegetation is more verdant and welcoming. There were even more Meadow Browns now as well as the occasional Marbled White, the odd Small Heath, a third Small Tort and also some slightly smaller almost black butterflies which in all probability were my first Ringlets of 2020 but they didn’t ever stop nor even get close enough for confirmation. Looks like that FFTY will have to wait for another time. The thinner vegetation in the central part of the path seemed to be the favourite hunting ground of the Skippers and amidst a babble of Large and a very faded Common Blue one smaller skipper stood out – a brilliantly fresh Small Skipper.
16-06-2020 3.JPG
16-06-2020 4.JPG
After this a tiny butterfly flashed by forcing me to retrace my footsteps somewhat. It led me on a bit of a dance for a while and I was concerned that it would get caught by the breeze and would be carried away before I could get anything on it. Luckily for me it now chose to have a bit of a breather and it dropped down almost in front of me – good to see Small Blues still here.
16-06-2020 7.JPG
I carried on up the track with more of the same species flying but none seemed to want to play ball and when I spotted a Brown Argus it just refused to land almost as if it was locked into a perpetual motion loop. By now, whilst still bright, the cloud had thickened and was quite threatening and as I felt raindrops soaking into my back I decided that now would be a good time to call it a day; in fact I could call it a Day of Smalls.

Brief stop on drive home
Butterfly on Orchid – yay!
Afternoon of Smalls

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

A bevy of mrgreens :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for that Small Tortoiseshell shot!.
It fills me with nostalgia and acts as a reminder of what they look like!.

Great shot, keep well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D I was chuffed with that one - especially as it was dancing atop an Orchid 8)

Larkhill 17-06-2020
17-06-2020 1.JPG
So this week gets weirder and weirder as today I headed in for the third consecutive day! It’s almost like having to go to work for a living and just when I was getting the hang of the working from home routine. Oh well…As Wednesday is shopping day and I was going to be at work all day I’d have to race to Waitrose (other shops are available) to get the food after work. This would mean no chance of a stop off and with dire rain showers and thunder storms predicted over lunch I called in at Larkhill on my way to work. The main advantage of stopping on the way to work is that I don’t need to cross the road, the disadvantage is that the morning dew soaks your trousers from the thighs down within moments of being on site. So it was this morning and with my trousers sticking to my legs I turned left and headed up the slight incline along the main track.

I was looking chiefly for Ringlets and little white flags which would be blues still roosting and I didn’t have to wait very long for the latter as just past the corner I spied a miniscule white flag. From its size it could only be one thing – Small Blue and as I leant in I guessed that it was the same one that I’d seen the afternoon before.
17-06-2020 2.JPG
Onwards I went but in the dull morning light it was all very quiet. The spiders webs had absorbed the dew so well it looked like a feast of Candyfloss has been mislaid by a massive party of children and no matter how hard I scanned about I couldn’t find any more flags nor any Ringlets just warming up. This was slightly worrying as in previous years the Ringlets were the most numerous species on some visits yet this year I still haven’t had a definite sighting. In my desolation I scanned even more intently but to be fair I think spotting another white flag was down to coincidence rather than my increased effort. This one was slightly larger and I could make out a fine layer of dew droplets bedecking the tightly closed wings. As it was a very worn Common Blue it looked almost slate grey in the morning night and the dew drops like little crystals embedded in the rock.
17-06-2020 3.JPG
I made my way back to the car happy with what I’d got even though I had hoped for more. Onwards to work again – mind you if this is the ‘new normal’ I think I could handle three days in and 2 days working from home :wink:

Morning cool and damp
Common Blue now a slate grey
Twinkling diamond dew

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Garston Wood 20-06-2020

It had been a couple of days since I’d last been out properly and from what I’d seen on the weather forecast I thought it was going to be a fair few more until I could get out again. However I looked out the window and compared it to the BBC App…reality looked more favourable than the computer generated model. So after lunch I headed out to Garston for a couple of hours with my fingers crossed that it would be warm enough even if not sunny enough for something to be flying and as I drove through first Broadchalk and then Bowerchalk it became noticeably brighter and there were even one or two patches of intermittent blue sky.

From the car park I headed up the hill taking the main track way. I scanned the bramble patches on either side of me and the right hand side seemed to hold all the butterflies. There were flappy Meadow Browns, much darker, almost black Ringlets (but still no bloody photo of one!), orangey blur of Large Skippers and a male Silver Washed. All pretty good and all very flighty. However the first butterfly I try for a photo of is a Valesina which plops down towards the back of the Bramble bush which abuts the fence into the old Plantation. I could only manage a couple of record shots as it was so far back but to be honest I was just chuffed to once again catch up with this ‘form’.
20-06-2020 1.JPG
As it didn’t return I carried on up the track still finding the right hand side to be much more productive. Slightly further up I spot a Red Admiral sitting under an archway of grasses and waiting for the intermittent sun to show itself again. A male Silver Washed was doing likewise on a Bracken plant that was taller than me! Hence the best I could get was a side on view. As I moved back after getting a couple of shots the butterfly took off and disturbed a second male SWF that had been basking on a lower standing fern, lesson learnt look all round before making your approach.
20-06-2020 2.JPG
20-06-2020 3.JPG
The main track carries on right to the top of the reserve but I took the second track to the left which meant that now I was walking the usual route in reverse from the ¾ mark and the track would now run down to the Enclosure. On the way I stopped for a Green-veined White a species which hasn’t been particularly amenable this year. Ignoring the trackways that branch off I keep to this trackway and reach a large clump of Bramble on my right – and the opposite side of the path from where I’d seen my first Silver Washed as week ago. As well as the odd Meadow Brown and Ringlet it holds a brace of Silver Washed, both males, and a Large White stops by for a while allowing a reasonable approach. However my eye is drawn to the Honeysuckle cascading down at the back. Just as I’m thinking – this looks good for White Admiral – one slices its way through the air. I watch mesmerised and then have to stop as I’m feeling giddy from trying to follow its perfectly controlled erratic flight pattern. Unfortunately it doesn’t come down and when I have steeled myself to look back and I relocate it I can only watch as it glides effortlessly over the tops of the trees and is gone.
20-06-2020 4.JPG
20-06-2020 7.JPG
20-06-2020 8.JPG
I turned my attention to the other side of the path and it seemed to be a bit of a haven for Silver Washed. The sun had nipped off for a break by this point and so the first Silver Washed I spotted was basking on the top of a frond of Bracken. As I waded in to try for a few shots I spotted a second, then further back amid the ‘wall of Bramble’ a third appeared, then a fourth and a fifth and finally a female dropped in and promptly shot away again followed by several of the males. At the final ‘field’ of bracken before the enclosure another White Admiral soars about up high and I spend a few more moments in rapt appreciation in this wonder of natural selection.

Once in the enclosure things quieten down somewhat but actually I’m glad about this. It’s been many years since this enclosure was coppiced and cleared so now it’s almost fence to fence Brambles so even if I did spot a butterfly it’s more than likely to be beyond reach. Luckily some of the butterflies prefer the edge of the path and I watch as two Small Whites fly along the margins daintily. One of them lands and as I lean in for the shot I see that it is immaculate, in mint condish, a beautiful lemon colour.
20-06-2020 10.JPG
I start retracing my steps pausing at the same points again marvelling as I watch the White Admiral for a bit but it still doesn’t want to come down. I also spy out a Red Admiral and an H.Comma. Both are sitting atop fronds of Bracken, both at just about head height and both take off just as I raise my camera. Where before there had been multitudes of Silver Washed now there are a brace of males and a female and the large clump has another/the original White Admiral tearing through the air, I swear I can almost hear atoms being ripped apart as it changes direction so quickly and so violently. Back up where the Green-veined White had sat so nicely another H.Comma plays a bit harder ball, sitting on the tallest of fronds and again after a successful stalk I raise my camera and he’s off!

Muttering I pause on the corner at the top of the track. As I scan across the grass I finally spot a Ringlet which is going down. Cautiously, as I’m very aware that things have been very twitchy this season, I snake my feet through the grass, lean in and click away. Phew – for a while there I really thought that I might not get any shots of this species this year! This one is lush – intact silver white fringes contrasting with the almost dark plum velvet ground colour. A second flies by and they have a bit of a scrap and then one of the two settles, closed wing so I can get a few shots of the rings which give this species its name. As I straighten up I catch sight of a Silver Washed hiding among the Bracken on the other side of the path.
20-06-2020 12.JPG
20-06-2020 13.JPG
20-06-2020 14.JPG
I now head back down the main track with more of the same species showing up that had done so on my arrival with the addition of a White Admiral and minus the Valesina so I take a shortcut path into the Old Plantation and head up the hill past one large scallop and onto the next, smaller one. There is a Comma sitting atop a very tall thistle and I try for a few shots but the light is against me as is the slight breeze and it sends the butterfly rocking forward and back. I start back and the first large scallop I came to has Meadow Browns erupting all over the place or sitting three/four abreast on the thistle heads. A smaller Scallop slightly lower down the hill has more of the same but I spot a smaller Skipper which turns out to be a Small. I offer it my finger and it crawls on sending out its proboscis to take salts from my digit. As I make to leave I spot a second Small involved in turf war with a Large – definitely a case of Small Man Syndrome here!

I head back to the car park and from there homewards. Not too bad an afternoon actually – a Valesina, two FFTY and another addition to my ‘In the Hand’ collection. And to think I wasn’t planning on going out…
20-06-2020 16.JPG
20-06-2020 19.JPG
Took a slight gamble
A Valesina pays up
Ringlet finally!

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Shame that valesina wasn't more co-operative, Wurzel.
Personally I've not seen one since 2011, so even a shot
like yours would have suited me just fine.
Still, it's the hope of a find like yours that will send us
out next season to do it all over again!.

Stay safe & well,
Trevor.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

A cornucopia of goodies there Wurzel.
I have never seen a Valesina so a few :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Small White photo is beautiful. :D :D :D
The SW is brilliant too. I find them very tricky.
A range of great shots !
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A cracking series of shots from Garston Wood Wurzel.

I especially like the open wing Ringlet, I struggled with any decent shots of these myself this year. They seemed to come and go quite quickly around my way and I found it difficult to find fresh examples.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D You're right the butterflies often leave you wanting more - although I went out a few more times looking for this species and it paid off :wink: 8)
Cheers Katrina :D I also struggle with SWF most seasons but this year I found early mornings, dull days or in the shadier parts of the woods more conducive - they're a bit dopier in these conditions :wink: :D
Cheers Neil :D Each year I find myself noticing that a species is 'blink and its gone' and this year it seemed to be the Ringlet - perhaps it was too hot for them? They certainly gave me the run around :roll:

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Vernditch 21-06-2020 Happy very belated Solstice

As the weather had improved somewhat today we packed up some things for lunch and set out for Vernditch for a walk and a picnic. Having not visited this site at this time of year before I wondered what butterfly species it would hold but as we strode up the hill on the main track things didn’t look too good. The surrounding trees didn’t look great for White Admirals or Silver Washed and the verges on either side of the rides are quite thin not like Garston or Bentley. Still just before the turn point one of the trees had fallen over and in its wake a huge Bramble towered up smothering all competing plants for light. Around this were a profusion of butterflies, mainly Meadow Browns but I could also see the odd Ringlet and Large Skipper and there was a Silver Washed. It was feeding and tilting on a flower which explain why I hadn’t seen it sooner – now the bright orange livery was on show rather than the cryptic underwings. I would have liked to have gotten a few shots but it was too far away and I didn’t fancy wading through an unknown depth of Briar to get any closer so onwards we went.

Things went quiet again after this as the trees are all in full leaf and little light reaches the woodland floor. So I contented myself with walking and talking. As we cut through the coppice after the gate at Martin Down it was more of the same and only when we rounded the corner coming out at Kitt’s Grave did we finally start seeing butterflies. There were a few Large Skippers in the tussocky grass on the entrance corridor and when the path opened out onto the fields a DGF flew past, swiftly followed by another. I stood entranced in the middle of the field – Meadow Browns and Ringlets, fewer Marbled Whites, a few Small Heath still eking out a living, violent orange blurs Smessex and Large Skippers abounded in the spaces between the Browns and flying amid this lepidopteran cacophony were DGFs numbering at least double figures. I tried my best to get some shots of the DGFs but even though it was cloudy it was still warm and so they jetted about rarely stopping. When they did I barely had time to point my lens in their direction let along focus before they were off again. I gave it up after a while and we strode on round on the circular route along through the wood. On the way I spotted two DGFs on Bramble in one of the cleared ‘scallops’. One evades me but the second was much more amenable.
21-06-2020 1.JPG
21-06-2020 2.JPG
We turned another corner and the path now ran parallel to the Blandford Road slightly sheltered from the breeze by a bank on one side and a wall of vegetation/the wood on the other. As I walked on my left I spotted Marbled Whites, Small and non-identifiable Smessex Skippers as well as the odd Ringlet, DGF and Small Heath. On my right however was a totally different habitat with stands of Honeysuckle and Bramble entwining themselves round the trees and filling in any gaps in the ‘wall’. Here I there were plenty of Meadow Browns and Large Skippers as well as singletons of Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral and Silver Washed.
21-06-2020 3.JPG
21-06-2020 4.JPG
The next stage dove back into the wood and at times it felt like we were walking down a trench although there was the occasional scallop and a small clearing. Again there was a similar range of species but with the added bonus of a White Admiral. Unfortunately it was deep in the Bramble so I could only manage a couple of record shots by the time I’d negotiated the twigs and leaves that were obstructing my view – still I did better than yesterday! The strangest thing here was a massive snail – clearly different from the Garden variety as this one was really big and didn’t have with a grey-brown muscular foot and dark shell in cryptic patterns. This one had a large light brown shell with a cream of mushroom soup coloured body. Also did I mention that it was Huge? I mean ma-hoo-sive – at least twice the size of a normal snail. I’m guessing that it was an edible snail like what the Romans brought over?
21-06-2020 5.JPG
21-06-2020 6.JPG
21-06-2020 7.JPG
From this section of the path every now and then I could see the little valley that I’ve explored on previous visits. Almost at the end I let the others walk on and then made my way down to the valley floor. There were good number of Thistles down here and along with them good numbers of DGFs. One lovely lady one (white margins?) paused for a refuel and so I tried for a few shots while she was otherwise engaged. Vowing to come back here one evening when the butterflies will have calmed slightly I caught up with the others and we had lunch surrounded by butterflies on all sides.
21-06-2020 8.JPG
21-06-2020 9.JPG
As we walked back through the gate and into the Coppice the butterfly switch was clicked and the butterflies disappeared…I will be back here though - I’ve discovered a little gem.

Dark Greens everywhere
White Admiral surprises
Roamin’ Roman Snail

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

What a splendid Roman Snail, Wurzel - I've only ever seen the vacated shells on the North Downs, or the unfortunate beasties themselves in a pool of garlic & parsley butter in a French restaurant... :shock: :wink:

Great to cover unexplored territory and have a few surprises crop up: that's a nice little solstitial selection. :) I remember visiting Kitts Grave perhaps ten years ago after seeing dozens of DGF at Martin Down, and finding SWF and White Admirals galore as well as more DGF. I always meant to go back, but never have.

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D I saw a few of them on subsequent trips and I think they're being monitored here. L'escargot is delicious - good job I have a plant based diet now or that chap would have been dinner! :lol: Kitts Gave it great - it adds a few new species to the day tally when on a trip to Martin Down :wink: 8)

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Work and home 22-06-2020

With the Pandemic still in full swing (and likely to be for a very long time) I’m still ‘working from home’ – essentially sitting in front of a screen, tapping away making new resources and marking work electronically. However I’m still going in for a couple of days a week to supervise the vulnerables and Key Worker children, phone tutees and get various of those jobs done that can’t be done at home so when I’m not able to get my Exercise I can at least have a wander up the field and stop off on the way home at Larkhill…

Today was one of those ‘In Work Days’ and so as well as the usual bag of work paraphernalia I also grabbed my camera. I got my first opportunity to use it almost as soon as I’d pulled the car into my usual space. I usually drive the length of the car park, turn and park so I can just pull away pronto at the end of the day – I like to have a fast getaway planned! On the drive I spotted a Red Admiral on the Bramble at the edge of the car park so car safely pulled up I popped back and got a few record shots before heading back in and putting my nose to the grind stone.
22-06-2020 1.JPG
At lunch I sanitized my hands, grabbed my camera and headed out and round to the field – because of the ‘Bubbles’ I can’t just cut through the school. As I started to follow the thin trackways between the tall grasses (between knee and thigh height) I was able to make out the odd Meadow Brown and Ringlet that were hiding away amid the stalks. The Smessex Skippers were easier to make out as they zipped across the grass tops, never quite clipping them, and then they’d suddenly alight on one so that I was able to strain my neck in odd directions and positively identify them as Smalls. There were a few Large Skippers about not looking quite as neat and tidy as the Smalls but they favour the Brambles so no wonder that their livery gets a bit dishevelled. However the real star here was a Marbled White which was playing to the crowd and showing off a little as it cut through the air metamorphosing from black and white to a quick silver.
22-06-2020 2.JPG
I walked on round the Bramble patch whose considerable girth has increased to become almost ‘worrying’ as soon there might not be a way round it and on the other side of the Bramble Behemoth there were a few more Marbled Whites. They were pretty active in the warm sun and so I pressed on, aware that my 30 minutes was slipping by at an alarming rate and came through the trees to the corner of the field. Tucked into the corner, bordered by the trees another large Bramble bush grows and it acts as a magnet to the surrounding butterflies. While I watched today there were various Meadow Browns and Ringlets and Small Skipper and a cracking looking Small Tort which had comically curved antennae. It bimbled about from flower top to flower top all the while looking like a Disney character due to the aforementioned ‘feelers’. I had to leave it there though as I could almost hear the “da-da, da-da, did-el-e-dee” signifying the end of lunch.
22-06-2020 3.JPG
22-06-2020 4.JPG
22-06-2020 5.JPG
22-06-2020 7.JPG
Throughout the day I was able to catch the odd glimpse of a butterfly as I looked out of various windows whilst walking to different ‘lesson’ the best of which was a large, peachy coloured individual that flew along the side of the Science towards me and it got so close that I was able to see my first Painted Lady of 2020. But I had to wait until the end of the day for anymore photography…

So the end of the day came and I’d loaded up, washed hands and the epic guitar riff from Leafhound - Freelance Fiend was shredding my speakers – I was on my way to Larkhill. True this isn’t exactly the most exciting location. It’s not the largest or most species rich but it is my ‘Local’. The dangerous parking and road crossing manoeuvre completed I set of straight to the scrub hedge that sits bang in the middle of the rolling grass. As I worked along the length away from the road there were Skippers, Meadow Browns, Ringlets and Marbled Whites all over the place as to be expected. And then there standing out like a gem amid the greenery was a Small Tort. It didn’t stop though and was speeding off across the Plain before I’d had a chance to even raise my camera. Momentarily disappointed I trod on and I was literally disappointed for a moment because a few steps on and a female DGF was avidly feeding on the Knapweed. She was a real beauty, terribly dusky with a hint of melanism a real stunner and so I followed her from flower to flower, occasionally having to run when she was caught by the wind. She didn’t seem to mind the attention which was lucky because the wind made photography tricky – I’d just have the shot lined up and focused and then the breeze would pick up and she’d be hanging on to the flower for dear life as it rocked forward and backward. Still after several attempts I hoped that I had something on the memory card and I moved on and left her in peace.
22-06-2020 8.JPG
22-06-2020 10.JPG
I went a short way the track after this noting how the butterflies had congregated here in the shelter afforded by the roadside hedge on one side and the linear thicket of Hawthorn on the other. There were good numbers of Smessex – most of which remained so with those that sat nicely for identification all proving to be Small Skippers. Most of the butterflies fluttering about were Meadow Browns and then Ringlets. There were about three Large Skippers adding a bit of panache with the odd Marbled White adding a dash of tone and the colour was provided by the two male Common Blues and the single Small Tort, a different individual from that seen along the Hedge. It was on the return journey whilst scrutinising the Smessex that I found what I was hoping to see. The Smessex was a sandier, more honey colour than the surrounding orange Smalls. As I leant in I could barely see the sex brand and when I was able to discern one it was straight – my first Essex of 2020. Chuffed I strolled back down the path and having safely gotten back to the car I headed for home after a very enjoyable butterfly day – who knew that a day at work could be so productive?
22-06-2020 12.JPG
A full day at work
Grab all opportunities
Essex on the list

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”