Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D I just wish I'd noticed the behaviour and thought to give it a try sooner - mind you I might have a few more pounds on my frame without using the normal technique of photographing Walls i.e. run faster than a Whippet to try and keep up! :roll: :lol:
Cheers Trevor :D It is a cracking place and has also had Chalkhills, Clouded Yellows and Brown Hairstreaks :shock: 8)
Cheers Neil :D I was actually quite enjoying Lockdown as I could 'tick' off most of the species within the allowed 'short distance to exercise' :D

Vernditch 09-05-2020

‘The weather is a changing’ could have been the (mis) theme of the day but as we looked out of the window at blue skies it seemed hard to fathom that the temperatures were forecast to drop by as much as 10 degrees, the north could have wintery showers and we were due winds gusting at 40-50 mph. So to make the most of the good weather while it lasted we drove the short distance to Vernditch to take our exercise. Whether we’ll soon be able to travel further once the possible Easing has been confirmed was the main topic of conversation between my wife and I as we strode up the steep hill track at the start of the usual route. On the way to our usual Pause Point or Snack Spot it was a case of head down and take in the sights of the wood with the Bluebells looking seriously dented and the Ransoms looking decidedly ‘plucked’ but still there were enough of each to break the monotony of green as the light filtered through the ever thickening canopy. There were a few Specklies on the way at the usual points but for now I was content just to walk and gaze.

While we had out snack a Holly Blue did a fly-by a Red Admiral passed us by heading on into the wood, a Peacock went in the opposite direction and several Brimstone fluttered about (the females) or patrolled punctiliously (the males). None of this was in the least unexpected but a Dingy appearing and hanging around us while we munched on apple and carrots was. It seemed out of place up here where the grass is closely cropped, short and bearing few flowers or other sources of nectar. But it seemed happy to just hang out and bask on any small twigs or other (ever so slightly) taller foliage.
09-05-2020 2.JPG
Snack over we set off again and this time I walked along the top with the girls. I scanned ahead to watch out for ay butterflies disturbed by our footfall and spied another Dingy in the distance and I took the smaller, grey blur to be a Grizzlie. Another or the same Peacock from earlier passed over heading in the direction we’d just come from and on the bend a male OT bustled by hugging the hedge and the shade it offered. We’d usually have turned back here but today we kept on the track as it bent round and as it carried on there were occasional cleared areas carved out of the dense scrub/wood. In the first of these I spied a little Grizzlie and in one of the later there were two Brimstones. This sort of habitat looks ideal for Silver-washed and I was left wondering if that species is found here later in the season?
09-05-2020 3.JPG
The track then curved round again so that it was running parallel to the Blandford Road and on the Martin Down side the woodland disappeared replaced by rough grassland. Due to this change in habitat I wasn’t surprised to find a couple of Small Heath which made a nice addition both to the daily Tally and the Site List. One settled with the shard of forewing exposed giving a tantalising suggestion of what lay beneath.
09-05-2020 4.JPG
The track curved again becoming ovoid and we now walked through a coppice woodland which hadn’t saw or loppers for far too long as some of the smaller branches were thicker than my arm. In the darkness of the dense shade there weren’t any butterflies about. But the minute we stepped into a spotlight of sunshine from a fallen tree there were the butterflies; a Specklie, then a male OT and finally a Red Admiral which effectively chased us out of the woods. We came out almost back where we’d snacked and now started the walk back from Martin Down into Vernditch proper. There were a couple of Specklies on the way again in the usual places and at the corner of the turn off to the main straight track that runs down the hill a Red Admiral was down on the deck. I felt like pointing out to it that it was a couple of months too early for that sort of behaviour but as I made towards it for a few photos the Specklie that patrols this section had a go, diving in and buzzing the bigger Admiral. Luckily for me you don’t get to be an Admiral by being a big wuss and so after a couple of angry circles the Admiral was back down on the deck asserting its authority!
09-05-2020 5.JPG
09-05-2020 7.JPG
All too soon we’re back at the car and loading up and shipping out with an OT waving us adieu as we depart.

Fresh Red Admiral
Emperor imitation
Settled on the deck

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Middle Street 12-05-2020

Today was one of those odd days when appearances could be deceptive and the weather app doesn’t do the suns warming powers justice. Yes it was cool, some might even say fresh as I walked towards Middle Street, but during the periods of uninterrupted sun the temperature rose noticeably and the jumper which had been a necessity was now a bother. Despite this I didn’t see any butterflies on the journey over with just a Little Egret tempting me for a few shots. It was a similar story as I strolled through the gateway and started mooching about. I’d only been here 3 weeks ago but the difference in that time was amazing. What had been boot high grasses and flowering plants were now knee and over hip height respectively, the Cow Parsley in particular has really shot up and the banked path is now much more interesting to the butterflies than the Dips. The football pitch instead of being a sea of green and white now has patches of gold as the Buttercups flower and it feels like the pitch is now adorned with its own advertising hoardings which are in fact swathes of long grasses, sedges and Cow Parsley. I’d literally gotten as far as the damp little patch where I’d previously seen the female Orange-tip when I spied what I’d come to see. There was the violet blue of my first Common Blue of 2020. As I watched a small cloud went in front of the sun and the butterfly closed up shop becoming a little white flag.
12-05-2020 2.JPG
As it didn’t seem to want to go anywhere I offered it my finger and climbed on and clung on as I ever so carefully extended my arm out so I could focus in on it with my macro lens. As I was getting some shots of it closed up the small cloud moved off and the temperature started to creep back up. Feeling the UV Radiation the butterfly started to open up beautifully whilst still on my finger and I could see how beautifully fresh it was with intact margins, an almost Adonis Blue colour and a white leading edge to therefore wing. Stunning and worthy of a moniker of much higher esteem than ‘Common’. Sufficiently warmed he took flight from my finger and I managed a few more ‘natural’ shots and carried on.
12-05-2020 4.JPG
I decided to forego the Hotspot until later reasoning that now that we were well past Hibernator time it would have served its purpose and so I strolled along the lower side of the Banked path on the edge of the Football pitches. A few Whites went by and a female Pheasant scurried up the side of the bank, over the top and sought shelter in the small copse between Dip 1 and Dip2. I kept on going eyes peeled for any movement but it wasn’t until I reached other end of the site that I happened across any other butterflies. It was another male Common Blue. This one had been out a bit longer than my first, the margins looked ever so slightly frayed and a light grey in colour rather than brilliant white. Also the blue colour was more a washed out greyish blue. I didn’t mind though as it sat nicely, wings open on a blade of cooch grass, its weight bending it so it became a little green bridge.
12-05-2020 5.JPG
I carried on right to the end but apart from some bees and a Burnet Companion moth tha wasn’t anything else to report so I turned about and started through the end field towards where I’d found the blue. Just before I got to where it had been the grasses were more open and in the sunny spots I saw something basking. It was a Grizzlie – so it seems that there might be a (very small) colony here after all as this is the second time I’ve found them here. It was a cracking little butterfly with the ground colour looking more rusty red when the sun caught it right rather than the expected dark grey. More chuffed than earlier I made to see what else was around here but at that moment the sun disappeared again and the grasses went quiet. I waited it out and managed to relocate both the Common Blue and the Grizzlie a second time.
12-05-2020 6.JPG
12-05-2020 9.JPG
12-05-2020 10.JPG
I then headed back reasoning that whilst here I should check out the Dips and the Hotspot. Both Dips 3 and 2 were overgrown – indeed at Dip 2 the grasses were almost thigh deep so I made towards Dip 1 via the banked path. As I did I couldn’t resist trying for a few shots of a Small White which was fluttering about and taking nectar but I didn’t get onto it as I got distracted by a tiny orange blur. I manged to follow it and watch it land and then I saw that it was a Small Copper. I got a few shots but it wouldn’t open up or sit somewhere for an unobstructed side view so I went back to the Small White expecting it to have disappeared as they always do. But no it was still there and for some reason it wasn’t as flighty as I’ve come to expect.
12-05-2020 11.JPG
12-05-2020 12.JPG
On I went through the jungle that is now Dip 1 and made my way along the river side path. I didn’t make much progress here as I kept stopping to listen to the Reed Warblers that were having a Battle of the Ballads. I counted at least 8 singing males at one point and they were making quite a racket. I was also joined by a few whites – one of which I was fairly convinced was a Green-veined thought the other remained UFWs. As I was now almost back to where it had all started with that lush Common Blue I was ruminating over the various species that I’d seen and I thought that what with the Small Copper and Common Blue and Brown Argus would be a nice way to round off my exercise trip… Out of the corner of my off to my right a little slivery butterfly flew up above the grass tops. Due to its size I thought it might have been a moth or a Grizzlie but its flight was more direct and flappy and less ‘blurry’. It landed and it looked like I’d got my Brown Argus – powerful stuff this manifestation malarkey! It was a joy to behold and I spent some time with it enjoying the contrasting chocolate brown and orange so much that I didn’t want to leave.
12-05-2020 16.JPG
12-05-2020 18.JPG
Somehow I tore myself away and headed home in a state bliss (warm, sun drenched almost floating) that even a few inconsiderate fellow pedestrians couldn’t rupture.

White flag turns to blue
Lightning lilac shining out
Not 'Common' to me

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The Devenish 13-05-2020

So today was the day that we’d been waiting for, 6 odd weeks (but only if you lived in England) after Lockdown first began today those in power deemed us worthy of a general easing. We were allowed out for exercise (we were already) we could drive to the countryside for said exercise (we were already) and we could stop during our exercise and have a picnic (you were already so long as it was short snack). So as a treat we decided to take a picnic lunch rather than the usual snack and head over to The Devenish for lunch. However it seemed like the notice about the easing hadn’t reached the Wildlife Trust as the car park was still locked. Luckily there are a couple of lay-by’s slightly further on from the entrance and we managed to pull into one of these and stroll back along the road.

Once on site we wandered up and through the small wood and climbed over the gate and into the Orchid Meadow. As we did the sun momentarily reappeared and where before there had been no butterflies all of a sudden there were plenty. They must have been sitting out the cooler temperatures bidding their time as now they were zipping about all over the place. They went from 0-60 in a fraction of a second almost as if the cloud/cooler temperatures had acted like a ‘Pause’ button and now the sun was back out the ‘Pause’ was well and truly switched off! Over the course of about 20 seconds I’d seen a male Common Blue, Brown Argus, a second male Common Blue, a tired Grizzlie and a Small Copper. All were highly mobile and only one of the Common Blues settled for long enough for a shot or three.
13-05-2020 1.JPG
I thought that the Down was going to be more of the same and so I braced myself for fast moving butterflies as a climbed the steep and narrow part of the path before it opened up onto the Downside proper. At the bottom there was a Common Blue but having seen it the cloud covered the sun and for the rest of the trek the Downside was bereft of butterflies. We took the steps up then followed the diagonal path, back up the gully on the far side and then along the top setting up camp near the gate through to the other third of the Down. After our picnic I took 10 minutes or so to have a quick check as the sun had again graced us with its presence. After the shortest of walks I back on the diagonal path with a Brown Argus before my lens. Slightly further on I manged to follow a Mother Shipton moth and cursing it as it eventually landed amongst the grass blades I realised that they formed a sort of tunnel through which I could get an unobstructed view of the moth albeit framed in green. My meanderings after the moth had brought me to the bottom of the Down and so I checked out the Orchid Meadow one more time but all I could find was one of the two Common Blues.
13-05-2020 2.JPG
13-05-2020 4.JPG
13-05-2020 5.JPG
I rejoined my wife and we set off after the girls who, having heard tales of rope swings in the Beech hanger, had found the energy to race on ahead. Whilst they swung I had a look at a nest they they’d spotted in one of the trees and after this I broke through the Beech and checked out the middle third of the Down. About half way down I spied a familiar little grey blur that when it eventually stopped resolved into a slightly tired looking Grizzlie. Chuffed I headed back into the noticeably cooler shade and then from there we made our way homewards down the steep steeps carved into the hill. Hopefully things will continue in this vain as it was nice to get out without the need to have an explanation ready.
13-05-2020 6.JPG
Brown Argus and blues
Show stealer Mother Shipton
No excuse neede
d

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

The highlight for me in that rather splendid selection has to be the perfect female Brown Argus, Wurzel. :) The various Common Blues aren't half bad either... :wink: You're right - nothing common about them! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D My local site Middle Street doesn't do quantity (apart from Small Torts) but does have quality :wink: :D

Larkhill 14-03-2020

Time was when I’d visit this little stop-off regularly, sometimes even twice a day. But then the timings of the school day were changed and the earlier start meant that most butterflies were still hidden away and on the return leg it was early enough that I could meet my wife and youngest after her school finished. To make it even harder massive white concrete rhomboids were placed at the entrances to the car park to block out the Travellers that frequented it for a couple of days round the Solstice. So for these reasons here I was mid-way through May making my first visit!
I pulled in at the tiny lay-by and then cheated death crossing over to the path. As I turned the corner to start up the track 4-5 Small Heaths exploded vertically from the longer grass tufts in the ruts of the track. None sat still for my lens so I carried on. A few more steps and 3 more Small Heath exploded upwards but then it went quiet for a bit. The susurration of the grasses being strummed by the breeze was occasionally broken by Whitethroats and Corn Buntings calling and singing as I strolled onwards and literally upwards (albeit imperceptibly). A Common Blue flashed by which drew my eyes to the grasses on my right. I spied a little grey blur which I assumed to be a Grizzlie. It landed and what had been grey was now a lovely chequered little butterfly. It was really hard to focus on him though as the breeze was pulling at his perch throwing him wildly back and forth. So I held my breath and kept focusing and in one of the few drops in the wind I ‘clicked’…then the wind started back up.
14-05-2020 1.JPG
I realised that this wasn’t to be the victorious homecoming to the site that I’d been hoping for and so I turned about and trudged on my way back. A Mother Shipton teased me on the way, settling just long enough for me to focus and then she’d be off. I almost gave up and just carried on walking and the Moff flew urgently ahead of me and landed in prime position, totally unobstructed by the foliage. As relented and lent in for a shot, focused and that’s when it took off again, chuckling with glee almost as it went.
At the end I stopped for a few shots of one of the better behaved Small Heath. It was doing the Grayling posturing, leaning into the sun to reduce/hide its shadow not realising that I was on the ‘wrong’ side of it and the shadow it was trying so hard to hide was giving it away as effectively as a massive arrow pointing towards it.
14-05-2020 2.JPG
14-05-2020 3.JPG
Taking my life into my own hands again I crossed back over and quickly got in the car before any passing vehicle could take the door off. It was strange to be back but I’ll have to make more of an effort from now on.

Safely over road
Small Heath leans into the sun
Casts a shadow not

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love your shot of the Grizzled Skipper Wurzel :mrgreen: One Day :D Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Somehow I've missed that superb Brown Argus shot, a post or two back.
That image is up there with the best!.

Please keep me in the loop for Shipton B.

Stay safe and well, and don't work too hard!.
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D One day soon I hope :wink: :D
Cheers Trevor :D I was dead chuffed with that one myself :D Brostreaks at Alners Gorse yesterday so they could be at Shipton within the week 8)

Bentley Wood 15-05-2020

After my last visit here when the Pearls should have been well behaved but because of the sun were whizzing around all over the place on this visit I arrived, with the girls in tow, very early. As we strolled down into the Eastern Clearing to set up the camp for the girls it was warmish in the sun but not double figures and in the shade you would require a jacket if you were hanging around there. It was looking good then, or so I thought. After traipsing round the main part of the clearing and neighbouring fields I still hadn’t seen a butterfly. True my bird list was doing very nicely – Willow and Garden Warbler, Blackcap, Whitethroat, Chiff Chaff, Tree Pipit, Tawny Owl from deeper in the wood, GS Woodpecker and a mewling passing Buzzard that couldn’t quite get the height it wanted as the thermals were still establishing. I could see signs that things were about to kick off, the bees were flying, the Tiger Beetles were out as were the Speckled Yellow Moths in their droves and I was starting to feel a little too warm in my jumper. I carried on wandering and I eventually reached the large recently coppiced field further away from the road than the Clearing proper and I stumbled across my first butterfly a Small Heath – it had taken a good 45 minutes though!
15-05-2020 1.JPG
I picked my way through the birch saplings and ended up crossing the field diagonally reaching the far corner where the fence makes it difficult to cross the ditch and reach one of the main paths. Here there is some activity in amidst the dead Bracken stooks which cover the floor to waist height in some places with little trackways criss-crossing them. I’ve seen Pearls settling down to roost on dead Bracken before but today I was witnessing them waking up from here. Mind you to the four Pearls flying through them these must appear like canyons with their steep cliff sides. I can see why the Pearls like them though as when they go down the jumble of rust coloured fronds and stems and the various shadows offer the Pearls the perfect opportunity for camouflage. Also taking advantage of these useful hiding places is a little Grizzlie which taking the Canyon hyperbole to the extreme, pauses like an aged Prospector to spit out his baccy. There are a further 2 Pearls using the cover of the Bracken to add to the nicely growing tally.
15-05-2020 2.JPG
15-05-2020 4.JPG
I head back and check in with the girls and then working along the little triangle by the Notice boards break though into the small field behind where a Pearl and a Brimstone fly about ceaselessly. As I make my way back to the EC I come down the main path which runs alongside the Notice Board and through the little Triangle and I check out the reedy field. Along with 2 Pearls, which seem to be everywhere but never stopping, I also find a Bentley Dingy which is a nice addition to the tally. After getting a few shots I watch as it zigs and zags off and I count up the Pearls in my head coming to a total of 9 which isn’t too bad really especially as I suspect there are plenty more about that I haven’t encountered yet.

I realise that I haven’t checked out the bottom end of the Clearing and as I walk there I keep my eyes peeled but the central part of the Clearing is till bereft of butterflies. As I walk through the doorway of trees into the bottom part something catches my eye away to my left, the tell-tale brown blur of a Dingy and my second of the day. The only problem is that is flies to the other side of the ditch through the fence. I debate whether to follow it or not and I eventually do, sliding under the bottom wire of the fence rather than climbing over.
15-05-2020 7.JPG
15-05-2020 8.JPG
Once I’ve relocated myself back to the main part I watch a couple of Pearls seemingly playing in the sun in the corner by the bench. I follow the narrow track way round to the other corner where the Dukes hang out but I hang out with three Pearls instead one of which seems to be taking dew from the blades of grass which have only just been exposed to the morning sun as it had climbed sufficiently to reach over the tree tops. I carry on round in the shade and traverse the main clearing finding 2 Pearls as I enter the sunlit section. One of these Pearls is remarkably fresh with margins still intact and that beautiful ‘glow’ that they have for the first few days after emerging from the chrysalis.
15-05-2020 9.JPG
15-05-2020 11.JPG
15-05-2020 13.JPG
After checking in with the girls I again make my way down to the bottom end and I’m glad that I do as there is a blur of orange which resolves itself into three butterflies as I move closer in. A bit closer still and I can see that two are a deeper, darker orange and seem imperceptibly smaller and faster moving. Even closer still I catch a few of the underside and it looks more beige that yellow – it’s Small Pearl. I garb a few record shots just in case it decides to ‘do one’ which of course it does but I manage to keep up with it as it flies along to and then along the ditch heading back to the main part of the Clearing. I was worried that as soon as it broke from the dappled shade and sun of the end part into the strong sun of the main clearing it would disappear off in a puff of scales but miraculously it goes down. Creeping on hands and knees now I get in close enough for some ‘better’ shots although it doesn’t stay for long and is promptly up and away again bombing and veering violently along the ditch which is why I eventually lose it from sight. Still however fleeting it was a definite Small Pearl and I have at least some shots of the species I’d hoped but not expected to see.
15-05-2020 15.JPG
15-05-2020 16.JPG
I head back to the bottom end hoping to catch up with the second Small Pearl and there is still no Duke with the three Pearls occupying the usual Duke territory. As I had no joy here I move back into the main part of the Clearing and it became apparent that the temperature had finally reached the optimum for the Mashies as there, in the tiniest amount of moor grass and reed is a Marsh Frit being harassed by a fading Pearl. After getting a few shots of this little beauty I find a definite second. As I’m getting shots I realise that I’m in actually in a circle of about 2m diameter where I’ve already photographed 2 other species of Frit this morning – not bad going. I just wish I’d brought a long a deckchair as if I’d known I could have had a sit in the sun and done a little less exercise :wink:
15-05-2020 18.JPG
15-05-2020 19.JPG
15-05-2020 20.JPG
The morning was wearing on and I was close to having to head for home having used my break, lunch and ‘double year 11 gained time’ but before we packed up and shipped out for good I took Little L for a bit of ‘Out-of-Home Schooling’. We strolled across the main clearing and towards the back trackways hoping to spy a Small Pearl instead only seeing a few Pearls which I was able to point out the ID features of. We listened out and identified Willow Warbler, Garden Warbler and Tree Pipit and saw a few Scorpion Flies to add a little horror to the school day. Back in the Clearing proper we scanned around and I found third Marshie and a Duke popped up just long enough to ID before it took to the wing and was gone – too quick and too small to follow in this big old space.
15-05-2020 23.JPG
15-05-2020 25.JPG
15-05-2020 26.JPG
After this we head for home…though I feel that I’ll be back, at least I hope very much to make a return visit!

Small Pearls hanging on
Marshies like a long lie-in
Duke briefly pops in

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

A veritable Feast of Fritillaries, Wurzel. :) Finding fresh examples of all three species in the same place on the same date takes some doing. :mrgreen: Some great shots of them too. :)

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Lockdown ruined my plans for the Marshies this year, so it's good to see yours.
As for PBF and SPBF, like you, I had a great time with them this year.
Hopefully the SPBF second brood will be out at Park Corner soon.

Great stuff, as always.
Stay well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D Hopefully we'll still be able to next year - I really hope the Small Pearls hang on :?
Cheers Trevor :D The hill was good this year but other sites are catching it up in terms of quantity (Martin Down) and quality (Bentley) :wink: :D Good luck with the second brood Small Pearls

So it was third time lucky at Shipton Bellinger today - very out of sequence but couldn't wait to post it! Should be plenty more by next week when the good weather is due to return :D
DSC_0240 - Copy-001.JPG

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Brilliant to see that Brown Hairstreak, Wurzel! A great pose too. :) :mrgreen: I didn't come across any at Noar Hill this morning, by the way...

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

mrgreens x infinIte for that one, Wurzel!. They don't come better than that !.
They are appearing at some of the Sussex sites too. About two weeks early.

Posted in envy! :mrgreen: :!:
Keep well,
Trevor.
Last edited by trevor on Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

That's a great shot Wurzel, it's one I've yet to see, with the Grizzled Skipper another one has you know :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The ones I've not seen here so far I really expected to see, the Small Heath and the Brown Argus, I'm off on Sunday having had a great time here.Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Blimey Wurzel, where is the year going? I have seen a few Brown Hairstreak photos this week including a couple from nearer me in Worcestershire.

Cracking shot :mrgreen: :D
trevor wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:07 am Lockdown ruined my plans for the Marshies this year, so it's good to see yours.
Ditto.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D Yep it was a case of third time's a charm 8) Now they're out we just need a bit of decent weather. This one was in a spot I rarely visit as well so hopefully the Hedge will produce the goods this year :D
Cheers Trevor :D Things have still kept on speeding along even thought eh weather has reverted to cool and damp for a bit - next week things are looking better though :D
Cheers Goldie :D From reading your PD you've had a cracking run Goldie - you've always got to leave something for next time :wink: :D
Cheers Neil :D 2020 has been one of the 'funniest' (not ha ha but odd) year I've known - even the cloudy weather and low pressures haven't slowed things down - I hope something does otherwise the butterflies will all be over by August Bank Holiday :shock: :?

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Grovely Wood 17-05-2020

After being stuck in pretty much most of yesterday I was eager to get out today. However there were no trips to Bentley or The Hill planned to take advantage of the new rules on travelling to the countryside. Instead it was a family walk through Grovely Wood, a massive mixed woodland which straddles the Down running from Wilton to beyond Wishford. After the steep ascent with a few Specklies we were soon walking along an avenue of giant beech trees as we sought out ‘The Witch Trees’. Due to the shade created by the burgeoning leaves I didn’t see any butterflies but stumbled across a slow moving Slow Worm which was slightly torpid in the cool under the canopy. Having had a quick look at the Witch Trees with their offerings strewn and hung form the lower branches there was a slightly eerie feel in the gloom. However this was quickly dispelled when I walked around the huge trunk and saw a large plastic box which people were asked to put their offerings in. True this was much more environmentally conscientious but did spoil the mysterious aura somewhat.
17-05-2020 1.JPG
17-05-2020 2.JPG
After this we headed off the Roman Road/main track down one of the side paths. As we walked the treescape changed from Beechs to Pines but the pathway was opened up, a slither of light which was quickly shut off as you walked towards the thick tree cover. A few more Specklies flew along the track way flying up as our feet bore down on the muddy ground, a white flew in the distance too far away to ID confidently and the occasional Speckled Yellow Moths were nicely lit by the sun that was pouring down in the open section over the path.
17-05-2020 3.JPG
We stopped for a picnic lunch here and while they munched I tried for a few shots of the surrounding Specklies that were squabbling worse than my girls have been. There were also two massive caterpillars that probably have a some protective poisons in them – at least I hope they did as they stood out like a sore thumb amid the long grasses.
17-05-2020 4.JPG
17-05-2020 5.JPG
17-05-2020 6.JPG
We got back onto the trail and followed the path downhill for a way and then it gently curved round to hug the side of the down. The track was wider here and as it was cut into the side of the Down the canopy on the downhill side was lower so light flooded in. There were a few Specklies on the way and a few whites – mainly Small but with a couple Green-veined Whites and a lone Brimstone now that the sun was lighting the way. The downhill trees thinned out even more in places and there were a few wonderful vistas out over the valley. At one such opening the trees had been removed and there were a series of strips like little terraced fields. I had a quick look in and was really glad that I had for there was the now familiar grey blur of a Grizzlie. I could tell it was a She as she was fluttering close to the ground and investigating the leaves of various plants, curling her abdomen round and oviposturing. As I looked up I spied a larger bright burnt umber butterfly. I did a double take and then realization dawned – it was my first Large Skipper of 2020, an immaculate looking butterfly. Elsewhere in the little section of field I came across a second Grizzlie and two Common Blues.
17-05-2020 7.JPG
17-05-2020 8.JPG
17-05-2020 9.JPG
After this we put our heads down the scent of home in our nostrils and we made good time. Walking across Downland and then back into Coppice before emerging at the bottom of a hill in the car park. As K got in the car she checked her step counter and we’d covered almost 5 miles, over 11000steps but it felt like so much less. What a brilliant wood!

My first Large Skippers
Payment for a massive walk
Soon be back Grovely

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:00 pm Grovely Wood 17-05-2020
... There were also two massive caterpillars that probably have a some protective poisons in them – at least I hope they did as they stood out like a sore thumb amid the long grasses...
Drinker Moth Wurzel. Not particularly toxic as far as I am aware although they do have hairs which are probably irritant.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the ID Neil :D I did wonder about those tufts of hair/the Punk hairdo :wink: 8)

Cotley Hill 18-05-2020

Today was set to be a cracker – the Marshies had reached the end of their wave of emergence along the valley from Warminster which meant that the Hill should be in tip-top productivity. Also after successful trips to Bentley, Martin Down and my Duke site the pressure was slightly off in terms of Marshies and so I set out to enjoy the butterflies as well as a Socially Distanced catch-up. I’d done a lot of my work the day before so what with break, lunch and free lessons I should be able to hang around for most of the morning but to take full advantage I left early as well.

Once I’d parked up and gathered all my gear I near on galloped up the narrow track emerging out of the small trees that line the path at the long hollow. This is always a good little place and I spy a miniscule Small Blue still roosting in the longer tussocks near the fence line. A Dingy zips about, obviously energetic after a nights rest and I look across the side of the Down and spy a familiar silhouette on the far side. A quick call confirms it as Dave and we stroll towards each other meeting about half way round. After a quick catch up and a Holly Blue we decide to work back round and down to the small wood by the gate and from there cut through to the other side of the Down. On the way we stop for a Greenstreak in the hollow and this and that as we make our way round to the other side.
18-05-2020 1.JPG
Once there it’s as if the butterfly alarm clock has gone off and everything has crawled out of bed. In the little hollows at the foot of the down there are skippers and Small blues and Greenstreaks and Brown Argus. I lean in to get a few shots of a cracking looking Small Blue, line up the shot and get it brilliantly in focus but after a couple of clicks nothing. I try removing the battery and replacing it with a fresh one. Still nothing. Then I try changing the memory card and still nothing. I check all of the switches on the lens, turn it off and on again a few times as it suggests but no – my Nikon D60 is a goner – the shutter release mechanism is kaput. Mind you I have caned it over 11 years but it’s still a shock to the system that my constant companion is now just a useless little box of plastic. :? :( :cry:
the last of it’s kind…
the last of it’s kind…
I wander round in a slight daze alternating between barely noticing the butterflies and trying in vain to capture some images on my iPod. Luckily at this point Philzoid calls and announces that he’s arrived and he offers me his second camera for the morning! As he places it down and steps back and I step forward, picking it up and clutching it eagerly in my hands I feel like Gollum recovering his Precious! So we talk a bit and wander round the Down finding various different things to get shots of. The Adonis and Common Blues seem to favour the lower to middle slopes, the Skippers and Small Blues the small hollows at the bottom and the Greenstreaks the hedge at the very bottom. The Marshies are much more Catholic in their preferences and are scattered across the Down every which way.
18-05-2020 3.JPG
18-05-2020 4.JPG
Eventually we regrouped as much as we could whilst still Social Distancing and made out way back through the little woodland track and up the hill to the Hollow again. The Marshies had awoken on this side now too and so we worked out way really slowly round picking them up here and there as well as other bits and pieces like Common Blues, Brown Argus, Small Heath and round by the Amphitheatre a couple of Small Blues – who once again showed a preference for the tussocky grass at the foot of the Down.
18-05-2020 5.JPG
18-05-2020 6.JPG
18-05-2020 7.JPG
As we were now down here we stuck to the level ground which wrapped itself round the foot of the Down and made our way along to the little quarry. The Marshies were about in reasonable numbers and every now and again something else would drop in – a Small Tort, an Orange-tip, Greenstreak, Small Blue, Adonis Blue, Common Blue Dingy Skippers. It was a joy to behold and I would have been sill raving about it come the summer if I wasn’t still feeling slightly fractured by the loss of my good old D60. Round at the Bowl we paused and took in what was available whilst the warmth that had crept up on us had made everything much more twitchy. And so we made our way, in fits and starts, back towards the car park.
18-05-2020 8.JPG
18-05-2020 9.JPG
18-05-2020 10.JPG
After a bit of triangular conversation we said our goodbyes and headed off on our separate ways; Philzoid to Bentley, Dave to Martin Down and myself off home still in a daze desperately trying to work out how I would get a replacement body in Lockdown?

Marshies and Small Blues
But no my dreams are shattered
Niko is no more…

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

That was as always an excellent day on the Hill, Wurzel. Aside from the large and varied helping of butterflies, it was good to catch up with you and Philzoid in carefully spaced triangulated fashion. At least the fortuitous arrival of a backup camera saved the day somewhat from your perspective, and that's a great selection of shots (that very last one of the Small Blue from your much-venerated Nikon was a cracker for it to go out on... :) ).

Cheers,

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”