Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

The good news is .......
P1160101ad.jpg
P1160041ad.jpg
P1160054ad.jpg

The bad news is .... full report to follow shortly :wink:

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

I presume this is Wrecclesham related, Pauline?

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm hoping this is a Wrecclesham Glannie - cos I could do with that. Though I have me suspicions that you've possibly taken a ferry journey to get these cracking shots :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Sorry David, I only wish it were. You are spot on Wurzel - it certainly involved a boat trip. More details later when time permits.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Pauline, some lovely shots of the Glanville there! We did something similar ourselves yesterday and took off to the I.O.W. to find some as we'd also drawn a blank at Wrecclesham. Wont give up on Wrecc but maybe take a look a little later on and see if any emerge ;)

Mike and Cathy.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Mike - That was a great Clouded Yellow shot you got :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

My carefully planned day out yesterday to find Glanvilles was in serious danger of being scuppered due to a small fledgling Magpie falling out of its nest in the garden a couple of days earlier. I have hand reared a huge number of birds - Nuthatch, Woodpecker, Dove, Blue Tit etc and it is incredibly hard work so I was reluctant to take on the task especially as the parents were present. However, they could not protect it from the numerous cats and the swooping crows despite their on-going attempts. More importantly they were not feeding their offspring. I began by feeding the little'un, ignoring the protests of the parents and then putting him back outside, guarding him from the kitchen window, and placing him in an aviary overnight. After 36 hours of this it was clear I was his sole source of nourishment and I could not stand guard all day. He would have to stay in the aviary. Unfortunately, this little bird was the most difficult I have ever had to feed. Despite trying a wide variety of suitable foods, he would immediately regurgitate them. I was managing to get enough nourishment to stay down to keep him alive but I could not expect a stand-in carer to take on such a difficult task. So, should I cancel my precious day out? In the end I decided on a compromise - I would go late, miss out on my planned pub lunch, and come back early; a bit rushed but better than the alternative.

I arrived at *************** about 11.00 am and the first butterflies I saw were a trio of lovely fresh Painted Lady:
P1150971ad.jpg
P1150973ad.jpg
A quick look round provided no sightings of Glanvilles and given the experience at Wrecclesham I was worried that they had not emerged here either. However, several other folk were looking for the butterfly and one of them assured me that local knowledge had informed him that they had emerged here just 2 days earlier. It was very warm and humid but the sunshine was mostly hazy. Other species were on the wing including Small Blues, Large White, Common Blue, Small Heath but there was no sign of a Glanville. I only had 4 hours and one of them had already gone! I was dismayed that the next thing I was to stumble upon was :
P1160025d.jpg
Suddenly, a Glanville was spotted and just as quickly it was gone again. In total we must have seen a maximum of 4 Glanvilles, possibly only 3 and thanks to a very docile, accommodating individual, everyone at last got a photo opportunity. I was concerned that there seemed to be little regard or respect shown for the site or for the butterflies by some, with butterflies being somewhat persecuted and harassed. I also worried that nesting birds might be disturbed (there were a lot of youngsters around) and this tended to spoil the experience for me. I don't know what these birds were but they were really cute:
P1160006ad.jpg
P1160022ad.jpg
I spoke to a couple who were interested in wildlife but knew nothing about butterflies. After telling him a little bit about butterflies his enthusiasm and interest were apparent and whilst we were chatting about a Small Heath that was flitting about, a Glanville actually landed on the path at his feet!! This happened twice more during the morning - he was like a butterfly magnet! I'd like to know what aftershave he was wearing :lol: :lol:
P1160105ad.jpg
P1160119d.jpg
P1160139ad.jpg
P1160174ad.jpg
All too soon it was time to go. I had left myself an hour to spare to see if I could locate any Wall Browns and because time was short the boat was the only option:

Once back on dry land I started to walk along the usual path. I have never before seen a Lapwing so spent a good 10 minutes watching when I came across one. It allowed me to get remarkably close:
P1160227ad.jpg
P1160224ad.jpg
As I continued I came across a group of birders (is that the correct term? apologies if not), obviously intent on something. What nice folk these guys (and gals) are. They explained that there was a couple of Spoonbills out there and let me view through their scopes. Sadly, they were roosting but the photos the birders showed me were just magnificent. I would have loved to have had more time to spend here:
P1160242d.jpg
The birders confirmed that there had been several Walls along their patch a few hours ago but the cloud had now come over and there were none to be seen. This was a bit of a relief as my camera battery had started flashing red and the frustration I would have experienced had I seen a Wall might possibly have outweighed the joy at seeing it. As I returned to the car park I used the last of the battery on this Common Blue. Is it my imagination or is it paler than normal - perhaps just worn?
P1160261ad.jpg
P1160252ad.jpg
On returning to my car I was dismayed to find a parking ticket slapped on the windscreen. I had paid using my mobile phone as instructed and had been told there was no need to display a ticket. It took me another 20 minutes to sort it out and get the ticket cancelled when all I really wanted to be doing was getting back. Thankfully, the little Magpie was OK but more about him another time :D
Last edited by Vince Massimo on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of name of sensitive site

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great report Pauline and fantastic shots :D I didn't think that you were allowed to post about this site as it is too sensitive? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Oops! I hope I haven't slipped up there Wurzel - I thought it was common knowledge and you know I never knowingly reveal sensitive sites. If that is the case I am happy to have the post removed by myself or an administrator?

After a hospital appointment today I had to pass a SSB site (the one where the Roller was recently seen) and well, it would have been daft not to stop. Not much time right now - have to feed the Magpie - but lots of shots to follow. Just a taster - is this butterfly actually stroking the ant with his proboscis?
P1160283ad.jpg
P1160285ad.jpg
... and is this ant actually stroking the butterfly?
Last edited by Pauline on Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Pauline, once again some really superb photos of butterflies, and birds. We also worry about the way a minority of people show a lack of respect for sites and their wildlife! Glad the young Magpie is ok

Mike

PS: Have just seen your SS Blue photos with the ant in attendance. Brilliant!

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Splendid pics of the SSBlue attended by an ant :) I believe the bird in an earlier post is a Skylark (not sure) and you were fortunate to see Spoonbills as well. Spoonbills do seem to be visiting Britain more regularly and I have seen them in Oxon. Perhaps they will be the next to move in, like the Little Egret.

Mike
Last edited by MikeOxon on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Pauline. I always feel reassured by your posts because you seem to care so much for all the creatures you come across, wild or domestic.

I must say, I had your bird down as a meadow pipit (if I'm talking about the same one as Mike). This is a ground nester and so, I imagine, vulnerable to lots of people and children running around with other things on their minds.

I also love the SSB plus ant pictures - there's something very touching about the second one in particular. I've seen (and filmed) ants showing great interest in silver-studs and idas blues but not noticed the affection being reciprocated before. You say it looked as if the butterfly was probing the ant with its proboscis? Very interesting.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

padfield wrote:I had your bird down as a meadow pipit
You are probably right, Guy! I dithered because I wasn't sure of the size and the eye-stripe seemed rather prominent. It's probably the second bad i.d. that I've made today :( It's a good job I live in UK as I can just about cope with i.d. of our butterfly species.

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for the compliment Rich. I was so concerned about my blunder I was forgetting my manners :oops: :oops:

I appreciate your concern Mike (Maximus). Yesterday was a huge leap forward as Maggie has now started to beg for food instead of being 'force fed'. This is a massive step forward and makes meal times so much easier. I am fairly confident he/she will survive now but my next worry is imprinting. I once reared a Blue Tit and for 3 months I could whistle him down from the trees onto my hand but he was eventually successfully integrated :D

I'm glad you like the photos Guy. I always try to help any creature in need without interfering of course. The human species causes so much damage I think it is incumbent upon us to put a little bit back. Thank you for the bird ID.

Thank you for your kind words Mike and for the suggestions/advice re sharpening. I have found the settings on my camera and it was indeed set high (tho' I can't remember doing it - I did buy it 2nd hand). The following photos have had no sharpening applied whatsoever tho' I have cropped them tightly to show the ant rather than the butterfly. The ant was moving quite quickly so not as clear as I would have liked but as I have never seen this before a fair few shots included.
P1160284ad.jpg
P1160287ad.jpg
P1160290ad.jpg
P1160292ad.jpg
P1160293ad.jpg
P1160295ad.jpg
P1160297ad.jpg

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Great photos Pauline! Love the 2nd detailed shot!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Pauline,
I love the pictues with the ants.

Debbie :)

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

You found your Glanville's at last, love your Photo's Pauline :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Pete, Debbie, Goldie, hope you're all having a good evening. Thank you for your kind words. Tonight I was going to post some lovely shots of male and female SSB but they will have to wait as I am just toooo excited. Short of time again so story and snaps will follow but thought you might like a glimpse .....
P1160813ad.jpg
Now I've just got to find that Monarch that was spotted in Gosport :lol: :lol: :lol:

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Excellent series of SSB photos Pauline :D

And a Clouded Yellow, I noticed there had been a few sightings recently, here's hoping some make it to the midlands :)

All the best,

Neil F.

David M

Post by David M »

No wonder you're excited, Pauline. SSBs and Clouded Yellows!!!

Heaven.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Neil for your comment and for taking the time to comment. I know how difficult it is as I read lots of diaries but only have time to comment on a few when many more deserve it. I sure hope these butts make it to the Midlands for you.

I appreciate your comment David. Even after a good nights sleep I am still excited as I have only ever seen one before, many years ago. Perhaps we're due a 'Clouded Yellow year'.

I wanted some shots of SSB with wings open but the weather was quite cloudy and overcast so I didn't think I'd have much luck. However, there is a site, literally on my doorstep which I have never even visited, and truth be told, wasn't even sure how to get there :oops: I thought it was high time I found out especially as a couple of days previously a Clouded Yellow had been seen there together with many SSB's. I got out a map which is rare for me as I can't read maps :lol: To cut a long story short I eventually found the place and there were many SSB (male and fresh females) on the wing - but no sign of a Clouded Yellow. I was not altogether surprised as I know they can travel many miles but the weather hadn't been great for a few days and I had harboured hopes it might still be around. Nevertheless, I left quite satisfied with the shots I had taken.

Later in the day, much later, I had to pick up a supply of Waxworms that had arrived for the Magpie. For some reason the centre of Liphook was grid locked so on the spur of the moment I decided I might as well spend 30 mins at this newly discovered site which was just 2 minutes away, rather than sit in a traffic jam. As it turned out it was a good decision. Not only did I see deer and butterflies but I also saw a stoat. Initially I thought it was a Red Squirrel scampering towards me :roll: (must need new specs :lol: ) and I only missed a good shot thanks to uncontrolled dogs :evil: Time was up and I had to get to the shop before it closed but just as I was leaving a flash of orange caught my eye and I saw the butterfly settle:
P1160680a.jpg
I cautiously approached, my heart thudding and my hand shaking, as the butterfly flitted from flower to flower taking nectar :
P1160673ad.jpg
P1160695ad.jpg
Once energy levels had been restored it would zoom round the area at great speed but only in short bursts bewteen resting and taking nectar. I began to relax a little realising it was going nowhere very far. It usually stayed low, resting on small plants and even the path but at one point rested about 4 feet up on a gorse bush. I couldn't believe that this was happening and right on my own doorstep. I would have traveled miles to see this spectacle.
P1160729ad.jpg
P1160754ad.jpg
P1160788ad.jpg
By now I realised that the shop would be shut before I could get there so Maggie would just have to eat mealworms for another day, not quite as sweet and juicy as waxworms but perfectly adequate. I have only ever seen this butterfly once before and this was a particularly beautiful specimen. I tried to get open wing shots as it flew past but it was so fast they were all blurred which is a pity as the colours were stunning. I also noticed that, just like the hairstreaks, when it wanted to make the most of the intermittent sun, it would lie on its side on a leaf, almost flat. I shall not apologise for the number of photos, even if some are not as good as I would have liked, but it was quite windy and I took what I could get. I am delighted at having seen it and stayed with it until it went to roost. Given the weather today I expect it is still there.
P1160735d.jpg
P1160740d.jpg
P1160814ad.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”