jackz432r

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: jackz432r

Post by Wurzel »

Glad to hear that it all worked out, those partition tables eh :roll: :wink: Nice picture of Picture Wings. Have a cracking new year!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Favourite Butterfly Days & Places 2015

Knowle Village 8.8.2015 & 3.9.2015

This site is one of my favourites and has provided many of my butterfly highlights. It is not a nature reserve or SSSI, but it is probably the site I have visited most regularly over the last couple of years. The location is a disused, former Mental Hospital sitting in a quietly pleasant area of woods and farmland. My main butterfly 'hotspot' is a narrow strip of land where farmland meets ancient woodland. Also, a short stretch of the former former Hospital Perimeter road which is now overgrown with Buddleia and an Ivy covered brick wall, I call it 'Buddleia Lane'. These two days were in perhaps the busiest part of my butterfly year and managed to escape my diary at the time.
The location of many of my recent butterfly highlights
The location of many of my recent butterfly highlights
'Buddleia Lane'
'Buddleia Lane'
The 8.8.2015 was a particularly special day for me at this site. My brother was in the UK and we met up for a brief early evening walk not specifically for butterflies but I hoped to incorporate some of the hotspots en route.

Despite the fact that I have been a regular visitor here for the last couple of years, I had already notched up 3 new species earlier in the year (Common Blue, Small Heath and Painted Lady). On this occasion, surprisingly, I would add four more. As we walked along the wide grassy track next to the Oak trees a silvery butterfly flew up from a clump of Vetch right in front of us and settled out of reach in an Oak tree. This confirmed my long held suspicions that there were Purple Hairstreak here. We only saw the one and I was unable to get a photo but I will be looking more intently here next season. In fact this was my first ever Purple Hairstreak that was not way up in the canopy. On the return journey we passed almost the same spot and on the other side of the track I saw what I initially thought was a Comma fluttering around some Bramble flowers. As I got closer I could see it was not a Comma at all. It was a very ragged Fritillary of some kind, so ragged in fact that I could not be 100% sure but I suspected it was a Silver Washed Fritillary. Again this was a pleasantly unsurprising sighting as the habitat is just right. It was also one of those moments where my camera was not set up and before I could get organised the butterfly had gone :( .
Despite a memorable evening I was only able to capture some delightful Common Blues enjoying the last rays of sunshine
Despite a memorable evening I was only able to capture some delightful Common Blues enjoying the last rays of sunshine
P1060837.JPG
P1060832.JPG
By now I was already feeling quite pleased with myself as we made our way back to my brothers for tea. There is an area of longer grass at one end of the wide track. At the moment we passed this area it was bathed in the last rays of sunshine. It did not take long to find some Common Blues making the most of things, but what really caught my eye was a lovely Small Copper posing beautifully on a head of grass. Unfortunately I fluffed my photographic opportunity again and spooked the butterfly :oops: , but it did increase my Small Copper tally (to a grand total of 2 for the year :D ). If that was not enough, amongst the Common Blues I spotted my fourth new species of the evening, a single shimmering Brown Argus. Thankfully I was able to get at least some reasonable photos from such a memorable evening.
Painted Ladies in Buddleia Lane
Painted Ladies in Buddleia Lane
P1070428-001.JPG
P1070430.JPG
The 3.9.2015 was the first opportunity I had had to return to this site since the 8.8.2015. I started with a quick look along 'Buddleia Lane' it was a bit cloudy but first up was a couple of Red Admiral which proved quite difficult to approach and photograph. Thankfully I had got my act together by the time 2 fresh looking Painted Ladies appeared :D . I then headed over to the area I had last visited a month ago by which time it was much more sunny. The first thing I spotted was a single very ragged Fritillary nectaring on Knapweed. It could not have been the same one, but with more time to spend I was quickly able to identify it as a female Silver Washed Fritillary confirming what I had suspected at my previous visit. I was also able to find more Common Blues and Brown Argus in a different location than previously.
Brown Argus another first for this site in 2015
Brown Argus another first for this site in 2015
It is a pity this female Common Blue was not pristine
It is a pity this female Common Blue was not pristine
An elderly Male Common blue trying his luck
An elderly Male Common blue trying his luck
I was pleased to find this female Silver Washed Fritillary on 2.9.2015 confirming this species exists here
I was pleased to find this female Silver Washed Fritillary on 2.9.2015 confirming this species exists here
Sadly, there is further major development planned for this area, a new village in fact. The council have given the go ahead, after years of discussion, for the village of Welborne to be created over the next 20 years. Only time will tell if the butterfly populations will be adversely affected by the development, I suspect the end result will not benefit the Butterflies. I am up to 27 species at this location, but I feel there is room for at least one more (lots of Oak and Sallow! :wink: ). I should get a few more visits during 2016 before the developers take over :D
Last edited by Paul Harfield on Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

I know just what you mean regarding favourite butterfly spots that aren't part of the recognised inventory of regular sites. I have several that I think I have to myself and if any of them were lost to 'development', I'd be bereft.

Local eyes on the ground can often be invaluable, and only by living in a place can you do the reconnaissance necessary to build a profile of the species on your doorstep.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Without much current goings on to post about, I have returned to 3.9.2015 and Knowle Village

Following on from my previous post, the following is part of a sequence I took whilst observing Brown Argus. My asssumption here is that this is classic rejection of the male by the female during courtship :?: Or am I completely mistaken. Is the raised female abdomen a universal sign of rejection in the butterfly world :?: or just in certain species :?: Expert help with that please.

This male seems to be trying his absolute hardest, bending his abdomen towards the female in a very persistent and hopeful manner. From a human perspective he seems to be giving a very unsubtle display of maleness. The females response being to lift her abdomen and expose her genitalia and commence short bursts of rapid wing beating (whilst still feeding in most of the images). Is this to waft some sort of substance towards the male as a sign? This behaviour continued in several locations within a fairly confined area. Eventually the female flew off and I lost sight as they disappeared over the fields into the distance, the male in hot pursuit.
P1070462.JPG
P1070463.JPG
P1070465.JPG
P1070466.JPG
P1070469.JPG
P1070471.JPG
P1070472.JPG
P1070473.JPG
P1070475.JPG
P1070478.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Super photos jack, I'm no expert so i can't help you with that, I just love your photos Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hi, I known the raised abdomen in Pierids is a most definate 'bugger off' sign but I'm not sure about other families. I did witness similar events to your Brown Argus myself last year. I watched Holly and Silver-studded Blue couples where the male was sent packing by the females frantic flapping of wings. I couldn't tell whether there was any raised abdomen though. An alternative could be she's emiting a pheromone to tell him she's receptive but he has to work to get the goods, so weeding out the weaker individuals :?:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Jack. I don't know if it's universal, but I've certainly seen the bottoms-up rejection in several species of Nymphalidae too. Just the other day I took this video of a female Heliconid (Heliconius melpomene) rejecting a male in the Papiliorama. The screaming children in the audio are, I hope, the next generation of keen lepsters ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHZXmNUqhCA

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Thanks Guy, Bugboy & Goldie for your comments and suggestions :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That sequence of BA action shots is stunning Paul. I had to check which camera you were using as I've never managed to achieve anywhere near as good as that. Well done :mrgreen:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Alright Paul? I've observed a similar thing with Brown Argus a year or so back and I've seen it it in a number of species including Common Crow in the Bristol Zoo Butterfly house so I couldn't say universal for sure but definitely a widespread behavioural signal.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Thanks Pauline & Wurzel for your comments :D :D

Favourite Butterfly Days & Places 2015

It seems to have been gloomy for weeks and right now it sounds like the end of the world outside, high winds, torrential rain and thunder. In the hope of lifting the spirits I thought I would revisit another of my favourite butterfly places......

May 2015 Stephens Castle Down

This is my local downland site, 20 minutes up the road. It is the most likely place you will find me during May, that most magical time of year :D :D . Its many resident butterfly species include (what I refer to as) The classic 'spring downland quartet' of Duke of Burgundy, Green Hairstreak, Dingy & Grizzled Skipper. A sheltered expanse of Ladys Bedstraw seems to be the focal point of butterfly activity at this time of year.
Just beyond the three shrubs in the centre of this frame is the expanse of Ladys Bedstraw below
Just beyond the three shrubs in the centre of this frame is the expanse of Ladys Bedstraw below
P1040875.JPG
Ladys Bedstraw
Ladys Bedstraw
Green Hairstreaks enjoyed this area of Hawthorn during 2015
Green Hairstreaks enjoyed this area of Hawthorn during 2015
Duke of Burgundy on Ladys Bedstraw 10.5.2015
Duke of Burgundy on Ladys Bedstraw 10.5.2015
P1040851.JPG
P1040837.JPG
Grizzled Skipper 10.5.2015
Grizzled Skipper 10.5.2015
P1040994.JPG
P1040928.JPG
The Dukes are pretty reliable little creatures. Although I have seen them all over the site, they tend to congregate in the gully area and particularly enjoy the Ladys Bedstraw there. They are later here than some sites but during May they are a joy to watch cavorting over the expanse of tiny yellow flowers. Dingy and Grizzled Skippers are also drawn to this area but do not get much of a look in before the Dukes chase them off. Thankfully they are also generally scattered all over the site. The Green Hairstreaks seem to move their favoured area from season to season. Occasionally visiting the Ladys Bedstraw, but always drawn to the many Hawthorns here.
Dingy Skipper 10.5.2015
Dingy Skipper 10.5.2015
An 8 legged resident of Stephens Castle Down also drawn to the Ladys Bedstraw.
An 8 legged resident of Stephens Castle Down also drawn to the Ladys Bedstraw.
Green Hairstreak enjoying Ladys Bedstraw 10.5.2015
Green Hairstreak enjoying Ladys Bedstraw 10.5.2015
....and on Hawthorn 25.5.2015
....and on Hawthorn 25.5.2015
Not long to wait before I can return for my 2016 spring butterfly fix.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Jack, your so lucky to have this site so near to you ,love the Grizzle shot, I've to travel up to the lake District to find Dukes, has for Grizzled Skipper ,not seen one yet round here at all, hope fully I'll find some this Year, it won't be a round here though, like you, I can't wait for Spring. :D Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

That sure looks prime habitat. No wonder your quartet thrive there.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That looks like a cracking site Paul with some lush shots, I might try and shoe horn in a visit this year :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Thanks Goldie, David & Wurzel for your comments :D :D :D

Sunday 7.2.2016 West Meon (searching for Hairstreak eggs)

Back in August 2015 I had one of my most memorable butterfly days of the year. The highlight being the discovery of a White Letter Hairstreak colony (hitherto unknown as far as I know) at West Meon in Hampshire. One of my ambitions for 2015 had been to make a discovery, so this saw that small ambition coming to fruition. I had also been on a dedicated quest to locate new White Letter Hairstreak colonies, so this success was doubly pleasing :D :D .
The location in Summer 2.8.2015 (Elm tree in the centre of each frame)
The location in Summer 2.8.2015 (Elm tree in the centre of each frame)
.......and Winter 5 months on 29.12.2015
.......and Winter 5 months on 29.12.2015
I was determined to return in the winter to confirm this as an active colony. My initial visit on 30.12.2015 to search for eggs was fruitless. I set off quietly confident, but after an hour of searching I found none. This species is reported to lay eggs at all heights, but I guess that the lower branches (the ones I could reach) are the least likely areas that eggs would be laid :( I left disappointed although it was a beautiful day and I am sure at one point a butterfly flew over my head :wink: .
White Letter Hairstreak ovum
White Letter Hairstreak ovum
P1080074.JPG
After the high winds here this Saturday I though it would be a good opportunity to return for another look. The hope of some wind blown debris from higher up the tree might prove a more likely place to find some eggs. On arrival there was plenty of 'chaff' below the tree most of which looked like twigs which were already dead. However, of the few healthy twigs strewn on the ground I was able to find just one that was home to a healthy looking White Letter Hairstreak egg :D :D . This egg has been 'saved' and is currently in my fridge.
I am not sure sure what type of Elm this is?
I am not sure sure what type of Elm this is?
P1080035.JPG
The Elm tree here is a fairly large mature one, but I done know what type of Elm it is. I initially thought it was Wych Elm but the books say Wych Elm has hairy twigs and buds which this has not. Twigs are smooth and buds are dark brown plump rounded ones which I assume are flower buds and pointed ones which I assume are the leaf buds. I have included a couple of Pictures. If anybody can identify this Elm species please let me know.

After further windy conditions on Monday I might return for another look at the weekend.

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Excellent find, Paul!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good luck with the Whitter Paul - looking forward to the photos later in the season hopefully :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Thanks Pete & Wurzel for your comments :D :D

Sunday 14.2.2016 West Meon

No sign of any butterflies on the wing yet around here, but after further high winds I made another visit to West Meon. This time I was able to find a further 3 White Letter Hairstreak eggs all on fallen twigs. The thing that surprised me most though was seeing the flower buds on this Elm Tree beginning to open. I am not sure if this is normal timing or if things are early :?: but the eggs are sure to be hatching soon.
Elm flower buds beginning to burst 14.2.2016
Elm flower buds beginning to burst 14.2.2016
More hairstreak eggs
More hairstreak eggs
P1080142.JPG
P1080146.JPG
P1080148.JPG

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

There is disappointingly little to report around here at the moment.

The 4 White Letter Hairstreak eggs have all been in my fridge since they were found. After hearing of Paulines eggs hatching and seeing Elms out in flower locally, I had planned to remove the eggs from the fridge at the weekend. However, on Friday when I checked them I was surprised to find one had hatched already (in the fridge). It took a surprising amount of time to locate the larva as it is so small and camouflaged. Once it was transferred to a fresh Elm twig it promptly entered a bud and has not been seen since. The remaining 3 eggs are all now outside unprotected but show no sign of hatching. I have also spent some time looking for further promising locations for White Letter Hairstreak, time will tell :wink: .
Freshly hatched White Letter Hairstreak larva ( I am slightly embarrassed to post this poor image after seeing Paulines superb pictures)
Freshly hatched White Letter Hairstreak larva ( I am slightly embarrassed to post this poor image after seeing Paulines superb pictures)
Vacated White Letter Hairstreak ovum
Vacated White Letter Hairstreak ovum
Hopefully the larva is tucked away inside this Elm flower bud but I have not seen it for several days
Hopefully the larva is tucked away inside this Elm flower bud but I have not seen it for several days
Last night my son called me upstairs, he had found a brand new Angel Shades moth flying around the bedroom. I grabbed a couple of shots before setting it free. This was a welcome sight and my first adult lep of the year :D. Hopefully not much longer to wait for some proper butterfly action.
P1080251.JPG
P1080262-001.JPG
P1080270.JPG
P1080267.JPG

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Wednesday 3.3.2016 White Letter Hairstreak

Immediately after posting last night my White Letter Hairstreak larva made a brief appearance at the surface :D. It is still incredibly small, but is obviously quite happy in this as yet unopened flower bud. The other eggs remain unhatched.
P1080289.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”