millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

There now followed two curious days (Thursday 7th and Friday 8th October) where there was no sunshine, yet temperatures remained as high as they had been, up to 18 degrees. The lack of sunshine diminished butterfly action considerably, but there was sufficient brightness and warmth to keep a handful of Red Admirals active on both days, and there was something else that was a bit of a surprise considering the conditions. The faithful Small Copper made an appearance on 7th...
SC1 071021.JPG
...but he had found something to chase. Following the target of his attention, I came across a fairly new Brown Argus.
BA1 071021.JPG
BA2 071021.JPG
Curiously, in the same area the following day, it reappeared a little way from the Copper's territory, but unusually I didn't see the latter at all.
BA1 081021.JPG
Once again, for the sake of completeness, a Red Admiral from each day (out of only 5 seen on 7th, and 8 on 8th)
RA1 071021.JPG
RA1 081021.JPG
At the end of what had been a very uneventful walk on 8th, I found the standard version of the Box Tree Moth to complement the dark type I'd seen recently.
BTM 081021.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"At this time of year the worry starts to creep in that maybe that's it, the season is over, nothing till March... "I know that feeling well Dave and the subsequent joy when you get out the next time and find some butterflies :D 8) Great set of shots there and the Brown Argus is quite a late one :D Would that be a third brooder? :?

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel - yes, a fresh Brown Argus in October is going to be a third brood example. Like the Common Blues and more especially the Holly Blues, there are almost always a few each autumn.

Saturday 9th October looked like another warm day with some sunshine, so I decided to make one more pilgrimage to the south coast. I toyed with possibly going to Southbourne near Bournemouth for a change, but in the end went once again for the nearer option of Shoreham in Sussex. I really should have checked on the traffic news beforehand...

As I approached the junction between the A 283 and the A27 I could tell something wasn't quite as it should be - traffic was solid down towards Shoreham town centre. I therefore headed up to Mill Hill to start the day, and as I crossed the bridge over the A27 I could see the westbound stream was being diverted down off the main road. I parked that future problem and set off on a circular walk around the slopes of Mill Hill.

I saw more today than on my previous visit a couple of weeks before: A Red Admiral, A Small Copper, a Comma and a Peacock.
RA1 091021.JPG
SC1 091021.JPG
Comma2 091021.JPG
PK2 091021.JPG
However, despite decent sunny conditions I saw nothing else, no last vestiges of any of the site specialities here.

I could see from the vantage the hilltop gave that the traffic situation was no better, so I decided to trust to luck and make for the harbour edge down at Southwick by guesswork through the back roads of Shoreham. Luckily I have a reasonable sense of direction, and made it through without any holdups at all, parking in the usual spot up on the main road next to the slope down to the harbourside.

Down here in the shelter afforded by the location, it was pretty warm in the relatively low sunshine and there was much more variety. A late-flowering buddleia proved very attractive to some...
Comma1 091021.JPG
LW1 091021.JPG
RA1 091021.JPG
...and some crucifers to others.
SW1 091021.JPG
Watching another white butterfly, I saw it suddenly mobbed by a couple of Clouded Yellows. The melee passed quite close, and I could see from this flyby that the "white" was in fact also a Clouded Yellow - a helice female. Unfortunately, with two males chasing, it was not going to stop (though tantalisingly it attempted to do so a couple of times) and after a frustrating ten minutes or so it headed up and over the top of the slope and out of sight with one male still in tow. I didn't see it again.

However, the incident had revealed that there were certainly Clouded Yellows still around down here, and as the afternoon wore on I caught up with some of them.
CY11 091021.JPG
CY10 091021.JPG
CY8 091021.JPG
CY1 091021.JPG
CY17 091021.JPG
With a few standard photos achieved, as ever it was time to try for the open-winged shots. Now that Bugboy has posted some great examples recently I don't think I can compete, but here are a few attempts at this genre...
CY3 091021.JPG
CY6 091021.JPG
CY7 091021.JPG
CY13 091021.JPG
CY2 091021.JPG
If nothing else, it shows that all the remaining Cloudies were males - though a nice backlit example confirms this as well.
CY14 091021.JPG
As I reluctantly decided to call it a day, one further species made an appearance - first a male, and then a very striking female Common Blue.
CB3 091021.JPG
CB1 091021.JPG
I set off for home, rather forgetting the probable traffic issues as the A259 seemed clear and remained so until it was too late to divert. I then became stuck at a virtual standstill for at least an hour in Shoreham itself - not the best end to what had otherwise been a cracking afternoon.

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That third open wing shot is non to shabby, mostly in focus which is more than can be said for the majority of my attempts!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

A great effort with the Cloudies Dave. :mrgreen: :D
It always frustrates me that with such a beautiful upperside,
they never bask or nectar with wings open. The only time I've seen open wing
was when a female was being pestered by a male, but it was too brief for a shot.

Superb stuff!, stay well.
Trevor.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Bugboy - I shall keep persevering with those Cloudies, and one of these days I will fluke something a bit better. :)

Thank you, Trevor - the females have particularly attractive uppersides, and fresh males though less subtle are amazingly egg-yellow. Just imagine if they nectared or basked showing that off... :)

Back now to my home patch for Sunday 10th October, and as it has turned out, for the remainder of the season - though at the time of writing there has been another 30 days of it!

It remained warm (19 degrees) and fairly sunny, but aside from a Small White, a couple of Holly Blues, and the everlasting Small Copper (now into its fifth week)...
SC2 101021.JPG
...my walk today was dominated by Red Admirals again. There were some lovely new examples amoung them, and clearly numbers are still being topped up daily by newly emerged butterflies (as presumably those that appeared previously headed off south).
RA1 101021.JPG
RA2 101021.JPG
RA3 101021.JPG
RA4 101021.JPG
RA10 101021.JPG
RA9 101021.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

It was cooler (down to 16) on Monday 11th October, but the sun still shone for part of the day. This appeared to reduce the number of Red Admirals a bit (only 15 today), but five other species were flying, including one surprise.

Checking up on the long-lived Small Copper, I discovered that it had company today in the form of a newly emerged male third brood Common Blue.
CB2 111021.JPG
CB4 111021.JPG
CB10 111021.JPG
It didn't take long for the pair to interact, and I watched them chase each other around for some time.
CB+SC 111021.JPG
In fact, getting any shots of the Copper today was tricky, as the presence of the other butterfly seemed to have given it extra energy, with it even indulging in a bit of inverted stalk-dancing (which I haven't seen it do for a while).
SC1 111021.JPG
SC2 111021.JPG
Also seen today were a Holly Blue, a couple of Small Whites...
SW1 111021.JPG
...a Comma...
Comma1 111021.JPG
...and more new Red Admirals.
RA7 111021.JPG
RA4 111021.JPG
Despite everything running down now, there always seems to be at least one new point of interest.

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those Cloudies from before a cracking Dave - the back-lit one in particular is helping me thought this dark, cold evening :D 8) That fresh Common Blue is also pretty cracking - things round my way are generally on the wane by mid October so to see a Blue that fresh seems pretty special :D

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel - I'm also rather fond of a backlit Cloudie! :) Yes, a fresh October Common Blue is a great sight too (though I'm more used to the Holly variety at this time of year... :wink: )

A similar kind of day weatherwise followed on Tuesday 12th October - but there were two relative surprises today.

First was a splendid new-looking Peacock.
PK1 121021.JPG
This was clearly a freshly emerged individual, completely unmarked; it also sported prominent examples of the additional blue hindwing spots that characterise ab. diophthalmica.

When I reached the familiar spot where the Small Copper and its new Common Blue companion were once again jousting, I did a double take: there was another Small Copper. This was a fresh female...
SC1 121021.JPG
SC5 121021.JPG
...such a contrast to the faded glory of the veteran incumbent.
SC7 121021.JPG
The two Coppers did not encounter each other while I was there, but it seemed unlikely that such a bright new female would not attract the male's attention (as long as he left the Common Blue alone for a minute or two!). Females don't stick to territories like the males do, however, so she may have moved on before long - I didn't see her again on subsequent days.

The Common Blue did get a few moments to pose nicely too.
CB2 121021.JPG
CB9 121021.JPG
CB4 121021.JPG
Rounding off the day were the obligatory Red Admirals (15 of them again)...
RA1 121021.JPG
RA3 121021.JPG
...and a single Comma.
Comma3 121021.JPG
There was also a rather tatty Small White that wasn't really worth chasing to get the record.

It made me wonder what might appear next - the season was far from over it seemed. :)

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Wednesday 13th October was more of the same - reasonable temperatures (for the time of year certainly!) and a couple of hours of sunshine over the course of the day. These conditions are certainly acceptable to Red Admirals, with another 11 seen locally all told. There were still fresh ones among them, and this has to be the best time of year to capture their images.
RA2 131021.JPG
RA4 131021.JPG
RA7 131021.JPG
RA1 131021.JPG
The Small Copper and Common Blue were still going strong (but as mentioned earlier, there was no further sign of the new female Copper).
SC2 131021.JPG
SC3 131021.JPG
CB8 131021.JPG
In common with recent days, a single Comma made an appearance...
Comma1 131021.JPG
...but today's different performers were a Speckled Wood...
SpW1 131021.JPG
...and three Holly Blues, including at least one male.
HB1 131021.JPG
Even at this late stage of the year there still seemed to be something sticky to be found on the leaf surfaces.
HB3 131021.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"...a fresh October Common Blue is a great sight too (though I'm more used to the Holly variety at this time of year... :wink: )"...speaking of which :lol: Great stuff Dave and good to see you expressing the art of the Holly Blue Whisperer again 8)

Wurzel
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Dave you must share the award for squeezing every last drop out of the season with Trevor! Some great late season shots in your reports. Up to mid October and I’m sure you’ve plenty more to come….
David M

Post by David M »

Just shows what a difference a couple of degrees can make, Dave. Those Blues must all be third brood yet most of the rest of the country doesn't see them in such numbers.

The Peacock from the earlier post is indeed splendid. It must surely have recently emerged.
millerd

Post by millerd »

There's a few more Hollies to come, Wurzel - they seem quite amenable to a bit of conversation late in the season... :)

You're right, Ben - I've still got half of October's, and November's sightings to report on fully - I don't think I've ever seen butterflies on as many October days before - and there has been some decent stuff too. :)

Third brood Hollies are the most obvious beneficiaries of the slightly warmer climate round here, David - more consistently than The Brown Argus or Common Blues certainly. :)

Thursday 14th October was another example of warmth - a high of 19 degrees and several hours of sun. Red Admirals made the most of it as usual, with a dozen seen today...
I'm guessing this extremely fat individual is a female full of eggs
I'm guessing this extremely fat individual is a female full of eggs
RA2 141021.JPG
...plus the same Common Blue and increasingly faded Small Copper mixing it again.
SC1 141021.JPG
CB2 141021.JPG
CB1 141021.JPG
There was a single Comma too, but I turned my attention to an obliging Holly Blue - I can never pass up the opportunity...
HB1 141021.JPG
HB2 141021.JPG
Having the photos of the two male blues in similar poses above neatly shows their differences... :)
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

It turned noticeably chillier on Friday 15th October, with just a scant hour of sunshine. I managed to find a handful of Red Admirals...
RA3 151021.JPG
...including this one taking an interest in the low-growing new nettles. A brief search turned up no eggs, though.
RA4 151021.JPG
RA6 151021.JPG
There was also a Comma making the most of what brightness was available.
Comma1 151021.JPG
A Small White appeared in a brief sunny moment, but then promptly disappeared again before I could get anywhere close.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

The weather reversed itself for Saturday 16th October, back up to 18 degrees and a bit more sunshine too. I saw 14 Red Admirals today (there must be more emerging still to top up the population here, as some surely have headed south but on warm days numbers have remained fairly constant).
RA5 161021.JPG
RA2 161021.JPG
RA1 161021.JPG
RA+Comma 161021.JPG
RA7 161021.JPG
I did manage a separate shot of the Comma in the background as well...
Comma1 161021.JPG
...and the regular CB/SC pair had not been detered by the less favourable weather of the day before.
CB1 161021.JPG
CB2 161021.JPG
SC2 161021.JPG
Seen but not photographed today: one Holly Blue and one Small White.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

It turned out that 16th was the last time I saw six species in a day in 2021. Sunday 17th and Monday 18th October remained relatively warm for this stage of the year (17 or 18 degrees), but the sunshine failed to materialise. This factor becomes the most important one now - even in late September, brightness through thin cloud can be enough to mobilise butterflies in warm weather, but by mid-October, there isn't the strength coming through to warm them up for flight (except maybe for a few Red Admirals with their dark heat-absorbent wings).

Sure enough, I did see Red Admirals on both days (four on 17th, two on 18th)
17th
17th
18th
18th
18th
18th
...but curiously, the only other butterfly I found was on the 17th - the familiar sight of the Small Copper first spotted way back on 12th September, and therefore now in its sixth week of life as an adult. Unsurprisingly, on the odd day recently when it hadn't shown up I had started to think that it had flown its last sortie against the Common Blue, but here it was again (and no Blue in sight).
17th
17th
17th
17th
However, there was no sign of it on 18th.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Tuesday 19th October turned out to be the warmest day of the month, reaching 21 degrees locally - but as has so often been the case the sunshine was in short supply.

14 Red Admirals made an appearance today...
RA4 191021.JPG
RA1 191021.JPG
RA5 191021.JPG
...and a trio of Holly Blues.
high up and difficult to get a good view of
high up and difficult to get a good view of
wasps - a constant source of bother on the ivy flowers
wasps - a constant source of bother on the ivy flowers
seeking out a bird dropping as they often do
seeking out a bird dropping as they often do
This sallow has become of popular basking spot with its large reflective leaves.
HB1 191021.JPG
HB2 191021.JPG
Finally, making its very last appearance (as it turned out), was the very venerable Small Copper.
SC1 191021.JPG
Here is my final photo of this remarkable butterfly...
SC2 191021.JPG
...and as a reminder, here it is when I first found it on 12th September, sporting a fine series of blue spots.
SC3 120921.JPG
Comparing this shot to others of relatively new examples of the species, I would say it was a day or two old then at least, making its final age in the region of six weeks. During that time, at least two females were seen in its territory so it is entirely possible its descendants will appear in the spring.

Overall, it has been a pleasure to follow this characterful little insect over such a long period - there can't be many other UK species that are so territorial and so potentially durable that they could be studied like this. As Bugboy mentioned recently in relation to his White Admiral caterpillar, you can get quite attached! :)

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Wednesday 20th October wasn't as warm, but it was sunnier. I searched for quite a while for the Small Copper, but there was no sign, despite pretty good conditions. There had been some rain overnight, though, so maybe after such a warm day on 19th it hadn't sheltered as well as it needed to - I shall never know.

Just as I was feeling just a little gloomy and distinctly end-of-season-ish, my mood was abruptly lifted by a rapidly moving pink insect: a Painted Lady. Luckily, it stopped and sunned itself right in the middle of the Copper's territory - goodness knows what the latter would have made of the intrusion. :)
PL3 201021.JPG
PL2 201021.JPG
where the Small Copper ruled for six weeks
where the Small Copper ruled for six weeks
Also seen today - a couple of Holly Blues, including this female...
HB4 201021.JPG
HB2 201021.JPG
...and ten Red Admirals in various places.
RA3 201021.JPG
RA4 201021.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

A major cold front (along with more rain) passed through on the night of 20th, and Thursday 21st October was a very different day. There was lots of sunshine, but the maximum temperature was a chilly 12 degrees. The sun prompted a rise in the number of Red Admirals seen today (up to 14). For some reason, they seemed to be posing less conventionally than usual...
i think this one may have been laying...
i think this one may have been laying...
RA5 211021.JPG
RA3 211021.JPG
RA7 211021.JPG
RA6 211021.JPG
RA1 211021.JPG
However, there was only one other butterfly that I could find anywhere on my local patch. This one was a bit unexpected, as I think it was the male Common Blue last seen jousting with the Small Copper back on 16th. It was in the same area, certainly (though why I didn't see on the intervening days I don't know). It looked somewhat bedraggled, and struggled to fly.
CB3 211021.JPG
CB4 211021.JPG
CB1 211021.JPG
Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”