Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Maximus

Re: Wurzel

Post by Maximus »

I've enjoyed reading your posts of your exploits in Portugal last year, Wurzel, no shortage of species there :) I'm particularly drawn to the Striped Grayling, what looker :D
You certainly seem to have plenty of Small Torts on your local patch :mrgreen: so far i've just seen the one, hope this changes. Not easy times and I understand your frustration. Hopefully things will begin to improve soon, and we can all get on with those things that have been put on hold :P

All the best,

Mike.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Some great shots and tales from your hols.
A mrgreen for the Swallowtails and Grayling. :mrgreen: That long Tailed Blue saved you a trip to Sussex!.
Talking of which, hopefully things may have eased for you to travel east for the Black Hairstreak in June,
though that's only just over five weeks away. Looks like the Marshies are out for me this year.

Keep well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Mike :D The Striped Grayling was my fave too :D - mind you saying that I've just remembered the Large Wall :D and that made me think of the Scarce Swallowtail :shock: :D which led me to the Red-underwing Skipper :roll: :D ... :lol:
The Small Tort does seem to be doing okay over this side of the country - it could be because it's a bit cooler/wetter or much more rural - I don't know I just hope that it continues :)
Cheers Trevor :D I'd still like a British LTB though :D Hopefully things will go okay - they're on about allowing people to travel to the countryside - it's just how far can you travel that will be the burning issue :? fingers crossed :)

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

More cracking shots Wurzel :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D The Portugal reports are coming to an end soon which is a good thing actually as I'm about 20+ reports behind from 2020 already :shock: :roll:

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Last Day Proper Part 3 06-08-2019

On the main trackway down there were a few fly-by Hedgies and a Wall, Grayling and GB Grayling all of which stopped for a photo as it had clouded over and the wind had picked up. At the Well once I’d gotten there things were the quietest that I’d yet seen with all the usual suspects but this just goes to show how quickly humans get used to situations as the cast of usual suspects included – Southern Common Blues, Long-tailed and Lang’s Short-tailed Blues Iberian Sooty Copper, Southern Brown Argus.
DSC_0111 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0115 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0123 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0141 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0150 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0165 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0171 - Copy.JPG
Oh well all good things must come to an end – although there may be some time to see things tomorrow before we fly. Plus there was still a cool pool to swim in, some ice cold beers to finish up and a little mothing whilst reading and listening to Scops Owls and Nightjars…
DSC_0180 - Copy.JPG

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Final Day 07-08-2019

The final day dawned and was the prime example of pathetic fallacy as my mood matched the greyness of the cloud perfectly. Once we’d eaten first breakfast, packed and loaded the hire car we set off down the dusty track for our final 2nd breakfast and to say our goodbyes to the hosts. We then climbed back up the hill for the last time and still with not a butterfly in sight. While I waited for my final cup of coffee to cool enough to drink I took one last walk up the ‘drive’ and had a last look round. There were still no butterflies – kept at bay by the leaden skies. A single Tree Grayling was the only one I could find whilst wandering the tracks which had thrown up new species after new species for me the past week. At the end of the track some chirruping and clicking made me look up and a small flock of 30 or so Swallows landed on the telegraph wires. They looked lighter than they should be and when I looked more carefully I realised that only a couple of them were Swallows, or more correctly Barn Swallows and the rest were Red-rumped Swallows. I’d only seen this species once before on a trip to Kefalonia where they would skim over the surface of the pool, so it was great to catch up with them again.
DSC_0211 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0191 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0197 - Copy.JPG
Both species of 'Swallow'
Both species of 'Swallow'
DSC_0204 - Copy-001.JPG
So stopping briefly so little L could say goodbye to the goats we set off with the skies becoming darker and darker as we drove. The journey was pretty subdued and three Bee-eaters looked totally out of place amid the drear and recently started rain shower as they sat on the roadside wires. About half way through the journey we turned off the surprisingly quiet motorway to have a look around a small town called Viseau. We ended up driving right through the town before finding somewhere to park in the ‘suburbs’ and walking back. On the walk back into town there were a few whites and the odd Black Redstart but the cloud was keeping the butterflies away. Golden Orioles called as we ate lunch and then we went to have a look at some culture – checking out the medieval Old Town and Cathedral. Once in the little plaza we were dive bombed by Crag Martins another species I’d not seen for a few years.
DSC_0250 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0251 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0256 - Copy.JPG
Then it was back in the car, drive to the airport, drop the car off, fly home and drive home. We came down to earth with a bit of a bump finally getting back at stupid o’clock in the morning. The next day while feasting on toast and marmalade I let my mind drift back to the trip. Looking at the numbers it was a little disappointing. Only 41 species or so seen but then thinking about the nature of the holiday and when it was plus the fact that almost a third of the species seen were lifers and if races/forms are taken into consideration over 45% were new – it was pretty bloody great! :D

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great holiday shots Wurzel, you'll be sad to be home this year, lets hope we can all get a way some where later, :roll: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Yeah we were booked to a cracking place in the South of France with vultures and butterflies a plenty :( Hopefully we'll be able to visit there next year instead :? Oh well at least I've been able to get out during the daily exercise :D

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I'm going out tomorrow over to Hall-Lee-Brook, don't know if I'll see any thing but the exercise should do me good :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I wish you'd said earlier Goldie - I don't think the Grizzlie I sent up there will make it in time :wink: I hope you have a great walk and find plenty of living things to fill your cameras memory card :D 8)

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Middle Street 25-03-2020

So as I started working from home today I was at a bit of a loss about what to do over my lunch break as usually I would be walking the paths around the school and taking advantage of the decent weather? So I accumulated my mid-morning break and lunch time so I could get at least an hour and set out later than usual in the hope that I could avoid anyone else that might be taking a walk during their lunch break. We’d been given the correct guidance for Social Distancing now and most people seem to have got the idea except that is the cyclists – they seem to think that they travel faster than the speed of Covid-19 and so whilst people on the path get over to either side they can carry on travelling right down the middle path. Despite having to keep a very cautious eye out for the two wheeled Pirates I managed to spy out 2Peacocks and a Brimstone on the walk over and also a Small Tort which flew into the back garden of the neighbouring house by the entrance to the reserve.

Safely on site I scanned around and could see no-one else so I was able to shift my gaze from head height down to foliage level and made straight to the Hotspot of old – sadly this year it seemed to not be delivering as many goods as it once did but today it was working hard to retain its title. As I negotiated the quagmire (giggety) track on the corner of the Hotspot a Peacock was basking down on the damp deck. A male and then female Brimstone passed by over the tops of the Briars by the now refilled pond and scattered about the flat turfed area were three Small Torts. It certainly seemed to be living up to its name in terms of temperature at least as the Small Torts were really hard work – having basked so effectively.
DSC_1052 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1056 - Copy.JPG
From here I followed the main track as it curved round towards the T-junction of the banked path that runs the entire length of the reserves and the rounded path which ran round the other side of the main pond/lake following the riverside. On the way I encounter a couple more Brimstones bombing by and not stopping for love nor a photo. At the very end there’s another Small Tort playing around in the nettle beds at the top of the river bank.
DSC_1072 - Copy.JPG
Now’s the time to nip down and check the Dips…Dip 1 being the largest holds the greater number of butterflies and my traipsing round on the boot wide trackways saw me able to count a Peacock and three Small Torts – some of which were in great nick if a little flighty. A Brimstone crossed from one side of the Dip to the other and just kept on going right the way across to the other side of the river and frustratingly with it river crossing completed it then chose to settle down and take nectar.
DSC_1079 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1090 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1103 - Copy.JPG
Onwards and upwards I went, well it was more a case of on and up and then on and down as I climbed out of Dip 1, walked along the banked path a short way before climbing down into Dip 2. This is often the most disappointing Dip at the early stage of the season as the ground is more thickly covered in vegetation so lacking in basking spots and any butterflies present are often hidden away in the tussocks. In here today was a single Small Tort and a Peacock which vaguely familiar? It took off and made towards the riverside path before disappearing amidst the tree branches. In Dip 3 there was another Small Tort enjoying the cleared patches where it was soaking up the sun. There was also another Peacock which I started to think was the same one I’d seen in both Pits previously?
DSC_1110 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1112 - Copy.JPG
On the final stretch to the end of the site I strolled along in the small field checking the side of the banked path as I went as this little sheltered sun trap is often popular with basking butterflies and so it was today with a further 3 Small Torts and a Peacock which looked different from the one I’d inadvertently been stalking in the Dips. At the very end was another Peacock taking advantage of the sheltered little alcove.
DSC_1115 - Copy.JPG
I had a look through my notes at this point, totalling up the butterfly haul. The possible double/triple count of the same Peacock was bugging me and as I didn’t get any photos of it/the three of them I couldn’t use the shots to confirm either way. Instead I settled for a quick walk back along the Banked path stopping to look over into the Dips and count any obvious butterflies – the better to not double up. This seemed to work and the walk back to Dip 1 in my notebook ran “ST, B, ST, ST, 2P, ST, 2ST, P and B” making a total of 6 Small Torts, 3 Peacocks and a single Brimstone which meant that what with the other Small Torts from elsewhere on site there were double figures and also I hadn’t doubled or tripled up on the Peacock count on the outward checking of the Dips. To celebrate I spent a little time with the Small Torts in Dip 1 before making my way homewards, hour of exercise over bar the walk back and almost within time too.
DSC_1127 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1139 - Copy.JPG

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Work 26-03-2020

So now I’m here at work on a Rota system. There are even fewer pupils here today so Social Distancing is even easier although during break and lunchtimes they don’t really seem that bothered. After some time in the computer room doing some work the Science Department set out the materials for Water Rockets as it was a nice sunny day and that way we could ensure that there was plenty of hand washing. After they’d tried and failed to hit the security camera on the main block (my preferred target) and all were soaked to the skin I took them for a walk up and around the field to dry off noting a Peacock and a Small Tort at the start, a Peacock half way down the field and another Small Tort in the far corner.
DSC_1148 - Copy.JPG
I’m sure that I encountered some of the same butterflies when I set out for lunchtime walk with a Peacock along the fence and a Small Tort at the end corner of the field at the start of the back path. About a quarter of the way along a second Peacock flew about for a bit and then at the half way point a Small Tort and Brimstone interacted with each other – well the Small Tort had a go at the Brimstone.
DSC_1155 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1162 - Copy.JPG
I carry on along the path ticking off butterflies as I progressed; Peacock, courting Small Torts, another pair of Small Torts, a solitary Small Tort hanging around near the rubbish heap and finally three Small Torts in the small Muscari field at the end of the track. Again I tarry a bit more here as there’s a certain something about Small Torts on Muscari that appeals to me, possibly the contrast in colours orange against purple or maybe the contrasting silhouette – the butterfly is more angular compared to the globular flower? Whatever it is I like the combination.
None shall pass!
None shall pass!
Couple number 1!
Couple number 1!
Couple number 2!
Couple number 2!
Loner on the rubbish heap...
Loner on the rubbish heap...
DSC_1197 - Copy.JPG
Tearing myself I make the return leg this time seeing 8 Small Torts and 2 Peacocks. I’m just about to cut across from the halfway point through the estate when a Brimstone turns up and flies towards me doing that evasion manoeuvre where they fly directly at you and you have to duck out of the way. Luckily I managed to swivel round and spied where it had gone down and with a careful stalk I was able to get some half decent images onto the memory card.
DSC_1212 - Copy.JPG
The final quick trek back through the estate some adding singles of both Small Tort and Peacock to the tally bringing it to a respectable 11 Small Torts, 3 Peacocks and 2 Brimstones. I don’t know what’ happened to the Commas in these parts this year?

Wurzel
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

That's a particularly nice capture of the Brimstone, Wurzel, and I love the one of the Small Tort couple gazing at each other across a dandelion!
- Janet
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Nice way of wangling a bit of butterflying in with your work day Wurzel :D

Commas were a bit thin on the ground around here too, definitely a poor third place behind Peacocks (2nd) and Small Tortoiseshells (an impressive 1st).

Cheers,

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

All those Small Tort images are a bit taunting for us poor souls in East Sussex, Wurzel !.
Good news about the Marshies at Tilshead, hope they're not in a red flag area.
There seem to be regular sightings of them now, but I've always reckoned about 20th May at the Hill.

Keep well exercised, safe and well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Janet :D I like Couple umber 2 as well
Cheers Neil :D The lack of Commas did seem to be a thing this spring - hopefully just a blip? :?
Cheers Trevor :D Sorry about the Small Torts Trevor - you'll be getting your own back later in the season I'm sure :wink: :mrgreen: The Marshies numbers are building - they've started emerging at Battlesbury which is a couple of Hills along - so it won't be long now :)

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

What would the butterflies do without the dandelions in springtime? Great Brimstone and Small Tortoiseshell images - and I do like the one on the muscari flowers in particular.

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D Also what would butterfly enthusiasts do without them? In spring it's often a case of check the flowers to find the butterflies :lol:

Middle Street 27-03-2020

It was cooler with more of a breeze than recently today and so I saved up my break and lunch and headed out for my exercise slightly later so as to give the butterflies a chance to warm up and get going. Later in the season it’ll be a case of the earlier the better to try and catch them before they get fully solar charged but now it’s often the case that they won’t even emerge from wherever they go at nights should it remain cool. On the way over the wooden bridge I knew I’d made the right call as there was a Peacock flying in the field as if to greet me. Cheered by this I carried on and made the entrance in good time and continued directly to the Hotspot where there was a singleton Small Tort and a second was flying in amongst the reeds round on the river path. A third was hanging about on the corner of Dip 1 by the river so things were definitely looking good for Small Torts here.
DSC_1217 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1225 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1233 - Copy.JPG
I made my way down into the hollow of Dip 1 and standing in the middle scanned to my left and right looking for the tell-tale signs of butterflies or even the slightest of movement. I’d soon notched up four more Small Torts mostly on the side of the Dip nearest to the path – they seemed to all be congregating in a small patch of low growing nettles almost as if they were attending a crèche or Nursery. As I watched them something flew by like a bullet and I watched as it threw on the anchors by some blossom and hovered – a Hummingbird Hawkmoth. It was nice to see but not what I really been hoping for…but there in the corner near the huge clump of Bramble was the butterfly I was after, a lovely gingery Comma. After some time with it I got back to the Small Torts and also checked out the black mat – which held a Grass Snake and one much smaller than on my last visit – had it shrunk in the wash?
DSC_1251 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1264 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1271 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1276 - Copy.JPG
Onwards and then downwards into Dip 2 which was empty. I reckon the slightly longer, lusher grass will make this a Skipper hotspot in the coming months and I’m looking forward to testing this hypothesis. As it was bereft of butterflies on this occasion I moved onto to the tiny Dip 3 and here I encountered a Small Tort which led me on a bit of a merry dance; first this way then that, out of the Dip and then back down into the Dip from the other side of the Banked Path. On the final leg of its foray it puts up two more Small Torts proving that this Dip may be small but it is perfectly formed.
DSC_1285 - Copy.JPG
At the far end a sole Small Tort held sway in the prime habitat and then I turned around and started back the way I’d come. To avoid going over my allotted time I started back and took the banked path peering down into Dips and 2 from above. As I started a couple of Small Torts were quarrelling over who was to have the best basking spot and looking down into Dip 3 I could make out a Peacock and a Small Tort. On the final stretch there was a Small Tort on the path between Dip 2 and Dip 1 and then I dove down to check out Dip 1 for a final time. Things were good in here as now there were four Small Torts the Comma was hanging around and I finally managed to nail a Peacock although the second evaded my lens very successfully! At least I thought that it had – looking back at the shots now it appears that I bagged both of them. Time was almost up and so I started for home…
DSC_1291 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1302 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1315 - Copy.JPG
While waiting for a couple of cyclists to pass me on the Town Path I nipped down the slip way to the side of the Mill Pond so as to remain effectively Social Distanced. For once I was glad of the unaware bicyclists as in stepping out the way I found a final two Small Torts to add to the days Tally which brought the grand total to…13 Small Torts, 1 Comma, 3 Peacocks and a Hummingbird Hawkmoth – oddly though no Brimstones?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, great shots of the Small Tort, they did very well round here this Spring, so did the Peacock , I can't tell which shot I like the best, your Brimstone really stands out so I think that one :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”