Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks Katrina. I recognise the name but just couldn't recall it :roll:

My pleasure Neil. Hope you had a successful day at OWH. As you know that was my intention too but Jaffa is a little poorly so I didn't get out anywhere. However, as I was tending to the aviaries this morning I noticed that one of my Red Admirals had was in the process of pupating on the roof of the cage! I rushed for my camera but it was difficult to get into a position where the subject was clear and the background was pleasing. I took some shots as best I could as it was fascinating to watch. The only way I can describe it is seeing the larva's skin slowly split up the side to reveal the pupa underneath as the caterpillar wriggled from side to side before thrashing and spinning wildly around to remove the last traces of his former self. It would be worth rearing these again just to see that happen:
P1180878ad.jpg
P1180888ad.jpg
At times it almost looked like it was trying to push the old skin off:
P1180897ad.jpg
P1180911ad.jpg
P1180925ad.jpg
P1180934ad.jpg
P1180972ad.jpg
At last it was complete:
P1180982ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I didn't want to intrude on Mark's diary so shall post here instead (but should be viewed in conjuction with Essexbuzzard). It is the Chalkhill I was referring to, taken by a friend at Chalton Down on 1st August. I have seen the shot close-up and we have debated as to what caused it (it is so neat it almost looks like someone has used a hole punch!). I'd be very interested in any ideas :?
T2 chalkhill.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Pauline
I know how this happens, as I've actually seen identical damage being incurred by Adonis Blue. This is caused while the wing is still soft, soon after emergence, when it becomes impaled on 'straw' (a rigid dead grass stem).
BWs, Neil
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline.

I didn't make it to OWH either this afternoon...maybe tomorrow if I get the chance,.
We spent the morning wandering around Bosham and Emsworth where nearly every buddleia was playing host to muliple Red Admirals, then in the afternoon I decided to have a look at Thorney Island. No Clouded Yellows but masses of Small Whites plus quite a few Red Admirals and a few each of Common Blue, Holly Blue, Small Copper and Brown Argus.

All the best,

Neil.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Neil - I am very curious about this too so I am copying Guy's comment in case you have any further clarification: 'I saw Neil's comment in your diary, Pauline, and I have to say, I'm still curious. Not doubting Neil at all ( :D ) - just still interested in how it ends up like that, with a circle of wing actually missing, rather than just punctured. Does the damage get reinforced when the butterfly flies afterwards? Or is there tension in the wing structure that pulls it out into a circle?'

Looking forward to seeing your shots Neil when you get back home.

I took the opportunity today to check on 'my' Dingy Skipper up on the common and I can confirm that he is still in the same little shelter that he was in last time I posted an update on him. Without disrupting him it was impossible to get a shot any better than this but I could see him. Isn't it incredible that since he hatched from his egg he has barely moved 5"!
P1180998ad.jpg
What I also spotted close by was a second Dingy larva wrapped up in a young oak leaf - it was slightly easier to see a bit of this one as he appears to have outgrown it and I wouldn't be surprised if he too moves to a larger leaf:
P1190010ad.jpg
Checking out the nettles on the way back I noticed a Red Admiral within these leaves, hanging as if to pupate. I shall try to keep an eye on these 3:
P1190023ad.jpg
Common Blues and Meadow Brown were the only butterflies I saw on the wing but there were plenty of other insects around:
P1190015ad.jpg
P1190020ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well, the end of another season for me and time to reflect. It has not been an easy season – not for me and not for many species of butterflies. Despite some effort nothing yet has been done to deter the Purple Emperor collectors at Alice Holt (although a sign on the gate is better than nothing). I am, however hopeful, perhaps optimistic, that 2022 will at least see public awareness raised tho’ I can say no more at present. The one good thing about the low numbers of Purple Emperor this season is that it has frustrated the collectors. One of them told me it was the worst he had ever known it in 30 years of coming there!!!! Perhaps if they hadn’t been catching females every year the numbers now might rival those of Knepp!

Another disappointment has been mis-management of the Noar Hill site resulting in very few Brown Hairstreaks this year. I do not believe that this is simply because of the weather and Ash die-back. I await a satisfactory response to my formal complaint.

It has not all been doom and gloom. I have made new friends and visited new sites and learned a little more. It was great to visit Epsom Common to see the Black Hairstreaks and to be shown a WLH pupa in the wild at a great new site for them (thank you to the person responsible). Browndown North was another new site for me and so very different in some ways to Browndown South with a sizeable Grayling colony (thank you for directions A.).

Hairstreaks continue to be my favourite butterflies and it was great to see so many Purple Hairstreak at eye level at Lee-on-Solent. It was also good to properly meet Mark W. who was so very helpful.

I have reared Painted Ladies, Commas, Brimstone, and Red Admiral (the last 3 from eggs in my garden). I have reared to final instar over 30 Fox moth larva, the eggs of which were in my moth trap. Fingers crossed they will make it through the winter. Likewise the tiny DGF larva which I photographed emerging from the egg. The Orange Tip pupa (also from eggs laid in my garden) I hope will also over-winter safely. Monitoring the Dingy Skipper eggs I watched being laid has been educational. The transitions both between and within the immature stages are fascinating and I have tried to record as many of these as I was able. My interest in this area and the behavioural aspects continue to grow and it is this that keeps me coming back for more.

I am not sure I am ever going to get to grips with moths. They are incredibly interesting but my moth trap has only been out twice this season as I continue to feel overwhelmed by the sheer numbers and varieties and as for the identification ………. I’m sure things would be very different if I had Maurice or Neil living next door! Thank you both for your help this season.

As usual I have put together a few compilations which represent the main areas of my activities and interest over the last few months. I hope you enjoy viewing them. Squeeze as much as you can out of the rest of the season and I’ll see you in the Spring. I would just like to thank everyone who has helped me during this season (and I have had a lot of support), whether it has been help in improving my photography, assisting with ID’s and info relating to sites and species. You all know who you are – massive thanks. Hopefully we’ll keep in touch.
Butterflies 2021.jpg
Butterflies 2021(2).jpg
Butterflies 2021 (3).jpg
Butterflies 2021 (4).jpg
Brimstone emerging from pupa.jpg
Comma emerging from pupa.jpg
Painted Lady emerging from Pupa.jpg
Comma Pupating.jpg
Behaviour.jpg
Behaviour (2).jpg
Moths.jpg
Hairstreaks.jpg
Ova.jpg
Larva.jpg
Pupae 2021.jpg
Wing Patterns 2.jpg
Wing Patterns.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely presentation as always, Pauline, although it's a touch bittersweet as it means you are leaving us for several months.

I certainly agree with your comment regarding the PE collector. Amazing how some people are so bereft of common sense that they can complain about a situation which they have contributed to the existence of!!

Hope you have a good autumn/winter and we'll look forward to your spring renaissance after the March equinox. :)
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I wish I had the time to catch the emergence of a butterfly, last time I witnessed it I was still at school. They always seem to emerge either when I'm at work or asleep. Came home today to two freshly emerged Red Admirals :roll: a very colourful display of your season though :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Interesting summary of your Year Pauline, amazing that we are at that time already.

Hope all goes well over the winter and look forward to seeing you come out of hibernation next spring.

All the best,

Neil.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Wonderful compilations there Pauline and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed keeping up with your diary - always makes for interesting and varied reading. All the best for the next few months - see you in spring!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you so much guys - your comments are really appreciated. It will be great to see you again. I would like to say that winter is over at last but the snow and blizzard we had yesterday speaks for itself! No Duke of Burgundy this April 1 (I am guessing) so I shall kick off my season with some shots from the garden this morning. After about 5 minutes the Sparrowhawk was chased off by a Red Kite(!!!!) which almost landed on the back lawn but caught sight of me and had a change of heart. Photos taken through glass:
P1210139ad.jpg
P1210144ad.jpg
P1210157ad.jpg
P1210167ad.jpg
P1210108ad.jpg
P1210101ad.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

A Happy New Year to you, Pauline! Welcome back for what looked as if it was going to be a really early year, but has been brought up short by the sudden cold spell. The same thing happened this time last year with April snow after a very warm spell at the end of March.

I quite often disturb Red Kites eyeing up a variety of corpses, and pigeons nabbed by sparrowhawks are not uncommon. Those are some great shots of the feast in progress! :)

Looking forward to your first Duke sightings of 2022.

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Welcome back Pauline, some great shots there although she's a very messy eater isn't she!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Welcome back Pauline, although given the current weather I wouldn't be surprised if you were tempted to remain in hibernation a little longer.

Cracking shots of the Sparrowhawk.

Look forward to see what you find once things warm up again.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Welcome back Pauline :D Cracking Sparrowhawk images, certainly 'nature red in tooth and claw'...only more like 'beak and talon' :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Welcome back, Pauline. Always nice to see you return to the forums.

Excellent shots of the hawk kill, though it did slightly put me off my lunch somewhat. :)
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Cracking shots Pauline, beautiful birds , so powerful, I love to see them , but not when they're eating other birds :D :D Goldie :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Dave - how are you? Keeping well I hope. I've had Sparrowhawks take many birds in the garden over the years but this is the first time a Red Kite has come down, albeit briefly. Close up they are certainly b****y big birds! Mind you, I still get excited when I see one. One of these days I'm going to crash the car as I'm too busy watching the sky!!!!

Cheers Paul - it is just a pity they were taken from indoors thru glass. I confess I was a little dismayed that it was a female as the last time they nested round here the female would take up to 8 birds a day from the garden. It is surprising how bold they can be too when they have little'uns to feed.

Hi Neil - good to hear from you and thank you for the compliment. As you know my bird photography is not great but quite pleased with these. I confess that the weather is holding me back a bit but it won't be long before I'm back out there. :D

Thank you David. For the last couple of years, as you know, it has been touch and go as there is always so much to do here. Apologies - it was never my intention to spoil your meal but I'm glad you liked the shots anyway :)

Cheers Wurzel - if I don't get cracking soon I'm going to be even further behind than you've ever been :wink: I've got loads of diaries to catch up on too! Makes a change for me to get some decent bird shots, doesn't it? :)

Thanks M - I totally agree but I guess they have to eat. Just wish they wouldn't do it on my patch!!!

One of the reasons for my slow start this year has been the weather but also the fact that I have been renovating some garden furniture. Can you believe it was 6 years ago that I painted all my garden furniture bright pink? Well, here are a couple of bits after I finished with them:
P1210041d.jpg
P1210255d.jpg
I worked on them during the warm spells last month and whilst doing so managed to see 7 species of butterfly in the garden which I don't think has happened before in March (probably because I'm usually somewhere else looking for butterflies elsewhere). I was too busy to photograph them all but these are a few shots for the record:
P1210052ad.jpg
P1210064ad.jpg
P1210079ad.jpg
P1210059ad.jpg
P1210072ad.jpg
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Fantastic photos Pauline. I am particularly taken by the arrangement in your post of 4 September 2021. I am a winter hibernator and had not seen the post until now. If I had seen those in a shop I would have bought them and hung them on my wall.
David M

Post by David M »

7 species in your garden in March is some going, Pauline, and an indication of just how pleasant it was for a fortnight starting around 13th.

Let's hope similar conditions return soon.

Return to “Personal Diaries”