Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Day 7 Part 3 Out and about the Town 05-08-2019

At the Well there was another of the smaller frits and it seemed that the Southern Common Blues had started emerging as there were a couple flying around at the Well, the black spots on the hind wing margins giving away their ID. It was ridiculously hot by now, reaching above 34 degrees and so I braved the heat and brandishing a large stick in case the barking dogs got too close I headed back.
DSC_2330 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2331 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2340 - Copy.JPG
I checked the pool/pond but he girls must have already headed up and so I took the scenic route back to the tent/lodge, the one which gradually traverses the hillside in a series of gentle terraces. On the way I stopped briefly for a Wall, Tree Grayling and Frit.
DSC_2348 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2358 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2361 - Copy.JPG
Later when everyone was asleep I had a few beers and did a bit more mothing - I could get used to this!
DSC_2388 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2392 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Jump forward again...

Work 18-03-2020

It was actually only a couple of days until the next time that I got out as the weather report was more favourable than expected. So I grabbed my camera and headed out across the field to walk my usual route where a couple of Small Torts flew whilst I was wishing my dad a happy 70th. He was just starting his 12 weeks off work as a ‘vulnerable’ which he was pretty pissed off about particularly as my mum had produced the list of ‘jobs I’ll do when I’ve got time’…

Along the back path near the half way mark a really ginger looking butterfly flew from the large bush and I watched it fly out across the field – my first Comma of 2020 – bringing the species count to 6 for the year. Unfortunately as it boomeranged back and reached the shrub it kept on going into the garden disappearing from view so I carried on along the path. Along the way I counted four Small Torts and right at the furthest end a Peacock flew up and was caught by the breeze shooting away. A Brimstone struggled by along the back fence following it down into the neighbouring field.
DSC_0587 - Copy-001.JPG
DSC_0593 - Copy.JPG
On the way back I stopped briefly for a basking Common Lizard which chosen a less than salubrious spot for its sunbathe – the rubbish pile. Still the old wooden boards made a nice backdrop for my photos. My very fast walk back through the estate saw me adding another 2 Small Torts to my daily Tally bringing their total up to a maximum of 8, not too shabby for a quick, spur of the moment wander.
DSC_0601 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0602 - Copy.JPG

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, the first Butterflies we see give you a lift for what's to come, don't they : :D Trouble is most of the early ones seem to have gone now and the SW and OT keep coming and aren't settling, there driving me mad. :lol: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D The whites are almost as infuriating as Meadow Browns - which only ever settle when they're all tatty and knackered :roll: although flying at a time of year which can be cool means you do stand slightly more of a chance with the Whites :wink:

Middle Street 21-03-2020

We’re moving into ever stranger times with people now encouraged to Social Distance and not mass together. To try and take both little L’s and my mind off things and also to take advantage of the recent up-turn in the weather I decided that today would be the day when Middle Street finally yielded some butterflies. So I packed the girls in the car with some snacks and their books and away we drove as that seemed the ‘safest’ option.
Almost as soon as I was in through the gate there was a butterfly – a Small Tort waiting to meet us. It flicked about for a little bit but when it finally settled I realised that it was just trying to get into a nice position for me. We carried on round hugging the fence and then crossing the quagmire/path towards the hotspot – the girls thankful for their wellies and me skipping from dry spot to dry spot like a non-mountainous goat. Round at the hotspot a Brimstone didn’t hang about long and neither did the Small Tort which took off and climbed ever higher before dropping down on the other side of the fence.
DSC_0610 - Copy.JPG
As we walked round the lake and visited the little pontoons we saw first of only a handful of people of the day and it was a bit jarring at first. Ordinarily it there would be a “Hello” possibly an enquiry and maybe even some polite chat yet today it was head down and start walking diagonally to the far side of the path as people are starting to keep away from each other. It seems more like Anti-social Distancing to be honest though I’m in no way detracting from its importance. We carried on along the river and a Small Tort popped by from the other river bank and settled long enough for a couple of shots so I was able to see that it was a different individual from the first of the day.
DSC_0614 - Copy.JPG
At the reserve there is a bank with a path on top which runs parallel to the river from one end of the reserve to the other, like the spine of the site. On one side is the football pitch and on the other is a thin sliver of land, slightly lower than the river path and split into three by two spinneys. These are the Dips and we dove down into the first Dip and I must confess from here on my memory struggles to function to its usual efficiency rating as I just wasn’t used to the number of butterflies I saw. It seemed that there were Small Torts in every one of the three Dips as well as a few errant ones flying in the football field on the other side of the banked path.
DSC_0622 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0634 - Copy.JPG
Luckily for me the girls were there to sing out the numbers as yet another Small Tort hove into view or erupted from the undergrowth. In the first Dip there were several Small Torts and one of the Brimstones settled ever so briefly but just long enough for a few quick strides towards it and a grab shot. The main attraction for the girls at this Dip is the square of black rubber sheet, always worth a look and this time it came up trumps with a large Grass Snake. It was a huge one!
DSC_0643 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0648 - Copy.JPG
We carried on working our way down and into and up and out of Dips 2 and 3 before checking the large patch of bramble right at the end of the site. On the way we got up to a count of 16 Small Torts and this was conservative, knocking off a couple now and again to account for any possible double counting and some crossed the river leaving the confines of the Reserve. On the way back we got a bit more of a wriggle on and managed to pick up 9 Small Torts and also added a Peacock to the tally once back at Dip 1. With the eager for lunch we left the butterflies squabbling with each other and headed home for lunch. Still it was great to see so many butterflies in one brief sitting especially such good numbers of Small Torts.
DSC_0651 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0665 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0674 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0683 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0688 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0692 - Copy.JPG

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Five Rivers 21-03-2020

So I dropped the kids home and after lunch loaded up the car to head over to Five Rivers while this was still allowed although I have a feeling that things will be changing soon. Anyway putting the very depressing (and scary) thoughts of possible quarantine and imprisonment in our homes aside I set off at a stroll, eager to drink in as much wildlife as I could. As my wanderings brought me to the ‘glades’ I spy a distant Brimstone and manage another grab shot before sighting the species I’d really come for. Flitting around in the sun was a lovely ginger beastie – a Comma and as I revelled in its enjoyment of the sun it dropped down on the deck to do a spot of sunbathing.
DSC_0696 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0708 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0719 - Copy.JPG
Looking back towards the Glades.
Looking back towards the Glades.
I backtracked and walked down to the riverside path and round the grounded Comma so as not to disturb it and carried on to Comma Corner which was a hive of activity. It was one of those moments when the dullness and the drear and the cold of winter finally is shaken off and you feel warm and alive as flying all around are the harbringers of summer. On this occasion the cast included 2 Brimstones that would patrol along the scrub in opposite directions, meet in the middle and have a scrap. There were also two Peacocks flying around like little Batman symbols and three Commas meaning Comma Corner lived up to its name once again. They really do seem to love this little sheltered patch of Bramble and my difficulty was which of the three to try and get a shot of first? The Peacocks meanwhile seem to have allotted each other billets. One favoured the edge of the path that runs past Comma Corner the other slightly round the corner on the opposite of Bank 1 although they never seemed to stay put for very long and insisted on winding the other up.
DSC_0722 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0736 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0742 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0754 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0783 - Copy.JPG
Comma Corner
Comma Corner
From here I wandered back down to the river path and started following the little diagonal trackway along the Lower Banks. I kept going because the first bit is more scrubby and more suitable for Specklies when they arrive and when I got to the bit which is great for the hibernators (longer grass with patches of bare soil and less scrub) the butterflies were very feisty along this stretch. I still managed to differentiate a couple of different Commas and another Peacock but they were much more interested in beating seven bells out of anything that entered their airspace than sitting nicely posed for photos! So I carried on carrying on and eventually reached the very far side of the site which is much less sheltered – the wind whips up the hill, over the line of trees on the Banks and then slowly drops back down culminating in gusts on this side. Mind you on a windless day this can be the hottest part of the site as it is so exposed and the vegetation is different here too. This was probably why it was where I found a Small Tort. This site used to be the best for them but in recent years Middle Street has overtaken.
DSC_0794 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0801 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0808 - Copy.JPG
Looking along the Lower Banks
Looking along the Lower Banks
DSC_0816 - Copy.JPG
Back at Comma Corner there are only two Commas now but the two Peacocks are still takng up the same territories and so I wander across the middle path at the top of the banks to do a second walk along the Lower Banks in reverse. This time the butterflies are a little better behaved – possibly already knackered from all their earlier bouts of fisticuffs? So I manage to get a few shots of the Peacocks which do seem a tad more flighty/titchy this year – or is that just me remembering things through rose tinted specs? The final check in at Comma Corner sees only a singleton Comma but it is joined by the second Small Tort for this site for the day.
DSC_0834 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0840 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0850 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0870 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0878 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0884 - Copy.JPG
All in all a brilliant visit and I leave feeling much more mentally healthy than I have for a long time; work stress shed, anxiety about the virus temporarily lifted…

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great selection of typical Spring species in your last two posts, Wurzel.
I say typical, I wish that was the case with the Small Tortoiseshells around here.
You mention the virus, if it has an upside at all, the air is nice and fresh, the sun
is brighter as it's not having to filter through aircraft exhaust trails ( a problem
around here, with Gatwick only 30 miles away ), and no hum of distant traffic.
The silence is deafening!. And of course our Planet is having a well earned break
from Human activity. Sadly the death toll is worse than awful.

Stay safe and well ( and exercised ),
Trevor.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Especially envious of the high Tortoiseshell count there, Wurzel! :mrgreen: A great selection of Commas as well. I can also echo Trevor's comments about the aeroplanes to a large extent, though there are still a few going past my window.

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D Yeah I wrote this post back when it was all kicking off, Lockdown was threatened, people were wondering what Social Distancing?and now it's all too real and scary:?
Cheers Dave :D It was almost like they'd emerged all at once 8) WRT the planes, I suppose there's still a large amount of air freight to bring in? :?

Lulworth 22-03-2020

Whilst others headed to the main beaches and Piers and promenades we made across country to Lulworth reasoning that it would be quieter, most people that actually were there would go over the hill to Durdle Door and in the Cove itself there would be plenty of room to ensure Social Distancing. When we pulled up in the car park I witnessed the new etiquette that we’re all going to have to develop. Whilst the cars weren’t two metres apart we waited for the people on one side to leave before exiting our vehicle whilst the recently arrived car next to us did the same. One of the advantages of there being far fewer people was that the wildlife was much more approachable – well the Rooks anyway. They are a quite angular looking Corvids, all triangles…
DSC_0894 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0900 - Copy.JPG
Down on the beach I was surprised at how empty it was as I scanned left and right, there were the occasional little coloured dots moving on the far side and the odd little clump of people sitting but it the most empty I’d ever seen it. The usual hotspot didn’t have anything at all and so we walked round from right to the left hand side of the Cove. On the way Rock Pipits called and sang, a Peregrine scythed through the sky and pulled a steep loop climbing up the side of the cliff and disappearing over the top and a few Mallard looked out of place out on the ocean waves. As we were approaching the far side where the cliffs slip I spotted a small dark shape gliding to and fro. It settled on the side of the land slide and flattened itself tight against the rock to absorb as much sun as possible. I managed to get in and so got some nice shots of a Peacock, the bright colours contrasting and standing out against the light grey clay. We then stopped for a brew up using the Kelly Kettle and whilst we did Stoncehats and Rock Pipits squabbled about and the Peacock did a quick fly-by; trying to entice my up the cliff after it.
DSC_0905 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0921 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0929 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0939 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0946 - Copy.JPG
Brew drunk we carried on up the cliff path stopping occasionally for a breather which wasn’t really a great idea as you’d look out on the stunning vista, the white rocks and perfectly round bay, the turquoise sea with the sun glinting of the tiniest of wave tops, and your breath would be taken away again. During one of these stops I came across an Osmia bicolor, the Two Coloured Mason Bee. It’s a lovely little bee that looks like it’s fallen into a red paint pot as the lower parts of its legs and abdomen are a deep red colour.
DSC_0953 - Copy.JPG
After the steep climb we followed the path along the cliff top, across Bindon Hill and back towards the car park. At one point we saw a few people walking towards us so we climbed up off the path and waited for them to go by, something we’re going to have to get very good at over the coming weeks/months, but I didn’t mind the enforced stop as there was a multitude of Green Shield Bugs to look at. This walk was proving thirsty work and so we stopped for another brew sitting in a little hollow away from the path with the Kelly kettle sitting directly on pure chalk. Whilst we were enjoying a combination of brew and view a Small Tort fluttered by, landed for just long enough to allow me to identify it and grab my camera, and as I was getting up it disappeared.
DSC_0954 - Copy.JPG
The rest of the walk was uneventful and we only saw a few more people before reaching the car and heading for home. Whether we’ll be able to do this again anytime soon I don’t know but I have a feeling that Lulworth Skippers might not make it onto my 2020 Tally.

Wurzel
kevling

Post by kevling »

Splendid photos of the Small Tort Wurzel. Always nice to see them given there lower numbers in recent times.
One thing that this lockdown does, is lets you appreciate what is on your local patch.

Regards
Kev
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheer Kev :D I know what you mean about appreciating your local patch, luckily I've also got some really cracking sites with a 15 minute drive which I believe still counts as 'local' :D

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Work 23-03-2020

More strange doings – today is exceedingly quiet with only those pupils who are classed as 'vulnerable' or those whose parents are keyworkers in the building. This is a grand total of 12 pupils that need supervision and so timetables go out of the window as pupils are sat in the computer rooms two computers apart to ensure Social Distancing. As I was on first shift I was able to crack on with my work and have an early lunch so that when the bell went I was able to get out and walk my route for possibly the last time this year? :?

As I set off, a metaphorical black cloud hanging over my head, I almost missed a Peacock that was waiting for me on the corner by the Nursery. Along the field all was quiet and it wasn’t until I’d reached the far end of the field that I spied anymore butterflies with an errant Brimstone bombing by and two Small Torts seemingly taking up neighbouring territories here.
DSC_0970 - Copy.JPG
For some reason I got a wriggle on today – hoping not to bump into anyone on the path I suppose and so before I knew it I’d reached the far end and I’d tallied 3 Peacocks (all of which were very flighty) and 12 Small Torts bringing the total to 14. Four of these had been two separate courting couples which made the counting much easier and more accurate.
DSC_0977 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0985 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0986 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0987 - Copy-001.JPG
DSC_0993 - Copy-001.JPG
As I’d reached the turn round point in such a quick time I tarried here for a short while enjoying the Small Torts nicely posed on the blue-purple Muscari. Then it was time to walk back and the count this time came to 16 Small Torts – so with the two from the field plus a final one just over the border in the Estate a grand total of 19. I didn’t latch onto any of the Peacocks on this return leg but I did find one and a Comma on the walk/run back to work through the estate and right at the very end, just as I was passing back through the gate a Peacock went down next to the Tech block.
DSC_1004 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1011 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1027 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1035 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1038 - Copy.JPG
When I get home eventually it’s announced that we will be in Lockdown – so there goes my holiday to France, there goes my Black Hairstreak visit in fact that’s pretty much the 2020 season up in smoke. But it’ll be a price worth paying if it saves lives…if only they’d got on and done it a bit sooner?

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

More :mrgreen: for your Small Tortoiseshells, Wurzel. Both quantity and quality - some of them look pretty fresh for their age! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A great selection of Tortoiseshells Wurzel :D

Regarding aircraft still flying, a lot of people don't realise how much air freight is carried in the holds of passenger aircraft even in normal times and that is exactly what most of the flights are now doing.
Living not far from Birmingham airport, it is really noticeable how quiet it is here lately as well.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D They must have found an almost empty shed to hole up in for the winter :wink: :D
Cheers Neil :D Small Torts seem to be holding there own here - probably a bit wetter over here in the West? :roll: :wink:

As the weather has gone a bit wet again here is something from sunnier times and climes...

Last Day Proper Part 1 06-08-2019

The sun rose on the last day proper and so I was determined to make the most of it. My pre-brekkie wander saw me concentrating on Hedgies – females of both ‘normal’ and Southern before we made our way to Guarda again and possibly on afterwards to a place called Manteigas…
DSC_2395 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2401 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2414 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2415 - Copy.JPG
We started in La Vie as the girls really liked looking in the different shops and seeing unfamiliar goods and even better familiar goods with Portuguese packaging and then we tried the Museum. Last time it was free but Fechio, today it was Aberto but decidedly expensive – how does that work then? It’s free when it’s not open but they charge when it is open – so it’s never actually free? Oh well we headed back to the Welcome Centre and to get the low down on a few places nearby that we could visit and a Geranium Bronze flew in one of the flower beds on the way. While we mulled over where to go next we strolled back to Torre de Montenga.

The Swallowtails were slightly better behaved although most were a little tatty now and mostly tailless. They also seemed to be preferring the lower slopes feeding just of the path while the girls rested in the shade and prepared for lunch. A Long-tailed Blue flew in amongst the Sooty Coppers and Lang’s on the lower slopes and at the top instead of marauding and malevolent Swallowtails it seemed that the Browns had picked up the aggressive bug. There were two little clusters of Browns bombing around and into each other with dizzying regularity. I’d watch one glide in the sun and then land it would land, I’d approach carefully work out what it was, lift my camera and then it would be off in spiralling, ascending bundle.
DSC_2419 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2422 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2432 - Copy.JPG
Somehow I managed to clock a Wall and two Large Walls in the melee. Round on the other side of the tower there were another pair of Large Walls and I managed to sneak up on one while it had it’s wings open – a male. It moved slightly and landed closed wings so I was able to get a better looking individual than on the day before. Back at the bottom while we lunched the Swallowtails continued to play around the lower slopes.
DSC_2447 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2449 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2451 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2456 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2466 - Copy.JPG

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I've really enjoyed your travels up to now , next time you go to the beach take a shot of that lovely view you mentioned, it'll be a breath of fresh air, I've not wandered out since lock down but I've been lucky with my garden so i've been compensated having the Butterflies come to me :D
I noticed in some of your shots the Small Torts on the Grape Hyacinth's ,I wouldn't be without them in my Garden, they really attract the Spring Butterflies don't they? I'll be hoping for better weather, it's cold here and windy not the weather for sitting in the Garden, keep safe Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Those Grape Hyacinths are brilliant for the spring butterflies and their colour contrasts well and really sets off the butterfly 8) It could be some time before I can get down to Lulworth again Goldie - but next time I do I try and get a shot of the view - that is if I don;t get distracted by Lulworth Skippers :wink: 8)

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

May 2020

This is the month when things would normally really start to kick off...I wonder how it will play out this year? :?
5 May.jpg

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Last Day Proper Part 2 06-08-2019

Once back home and with the girls off at the Pool/pond I had a chance for a final look round. The little part of the path on the way to the verdant track held a couple of SBAs and a Lang’s. Slightly further along there was a Small Copper and by the little well at the end a Wood White and Long-tailed Blue.
DSC_2470 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0006 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0011 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0026 - Copy-001.JPG
On the next bend up a few Small Coppers flew as did a Striped Grayling and finally at the verdant area I spent my time with a small Frit and a Small White about which I wondered about being a Southern Small White not realising that they don’t fly in this part of the world. I then went to check the time and realised that I’d left my watch up at the Lodge, so back up the hill I went but I didn’t mind as I could have my coffee which I’d been leaving for my return.
DSC_0038 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0049 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0057 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0061 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0073 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0086 - Copy.JPG

Wurzel
kevling

Post by kevling »

Wurzel, some more lovely images from your European trip. I especially like the Langs on the whit flower heads. Your diary has brought back memories of my South of France holidays, where similar species were seen.

Kind Regards
Kev
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Kev :D I was due to head to the South of France this August - can't see that happening now unless there is a drastic change in circumstances :?

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”