Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Pauline

Post by millerd »

Wonderful caterpillar shots, Pauline. :) The White Admiral is amazing in its new livery after the moult! And that Red Admiral looks to have a huge task ahead to fold that leaf - the energy it must expend doing that, but no doubt overnight it will have diligently completed the task.

Cheers,

Dave
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm pleased you like them Dave - I realise that not everyone is interested in the immature stages but I think they are fascinating.

I certainly wasn't expecting to stumble across this on one of my local sites but it was very welcome, brightening up a cloudy day:
P1160574ad.jpg
P1160556ad.jpg
P1160548ad.jpg
I wonder how many ticks those shots will have cost me! 28 and counting so far :evil:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cloudies are brilliant in that respect Pauline - always turning up somewhere least expected :D Cracking shots 8) I hope you didn't get too close :wink: :wink:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel :lol: :lol: :lol:

Having spent a couple of hours wandering round Noar Hill looking for Brown Hairstreaks (unsuccessfully), it was inevitable that I would take a few shots of whatever caught my eye. The only pic that needs any explanation is the poor image of a huge Grass snake which disappeared rapidly before I could work out where the head was. The transect recorder expressed surprise at the find as apparently it is about 5 years since one has been seen there:
P1160497ad.jpg
P1160502ad.jpg
P1160512ad.jpg
P1160479ad.jpg
P1160483ad.jpg
P1160495ad.jpg
P1160476ad.jpg
P1160485ad.jpg
P1160511ad.jpg
P1160492ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

It was good to see that a few female SSS have now emerged (yesterday) but a strong breeze and frequent cloud kept them hunkered down low:
P1160601ad.jpg
P1160597ad.jpg
P1160522ad.jpg
P1160588ad.jpg
You've just got to admire these female DGF's. Still egg-laying despite being on their last legs (or wings in this case):
P1160577ad.jpg
.... and the Chalkhill Blues are all over, the females now sometimes outnumbering the males although you wouldn't think so to look at this shot which was after I inadvertently scared half of them away:
P1160610ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

What a difference 48 hours makes. I returned to one of my favourite areas of Noar Hill today - an area where I saw most Brown Hairstreaks last season and where I watched a number of eggs being laid. It was the same area where I stood 2 days ago and took all those butterfly shots amongst so many wild flowers. It didn't really matter that I didn't see a BH as the sea of colours and scents were just so uplifting. To say I was shocked just doesn't come close! Devastated, frustrated, angry, confused, despairing, sad were just a few of the emotions. Why???!!!! Is it not enough that they burn the eggs! Is this management or vandalism. There are other areas of the site which are in greater need of maintenance. The hemp agrimony, thistles, small blackthorn and dozens of other flowers have been obliterated. At least it was done before any eggs were laid but how many pupa have been destroyed by the machinery:
P1160679d.jpg
P1160683d.jpg
P1160675d.jpg
P1160673d.jpg
Before:
P1160676d.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

What can be the justification for mowing all those wildflowers flat at this time of year? I could understand doing it at the end of the summer perhaps. Large areas of my local patch were also mown in mid-July, but Heathrow (who own the land) justify this as it represents a potential fire risk rather close to the airport - though this year it was far too soggy for that... :) I doubt Noar Hill could come into the same category!

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I too, like Dave and yourself, can't fathom this? It seems counter productive on a nature reserve to cut back huge swathes of wildflowers - one of the most depleted habitats in the UK? :shock: Who manages Noar Hill and more to the point what were they thinking when they sanctioned this? :shock: :(

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Dave, Wurzel,

HIWWT with Rotherfield Farm manages the site according to the sign. I have emailed the questions and concerns but whether a reply will be forthcoming remains to be seen.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well, it's a start at least - but not from Noar Hill!:
P1160709ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Given the weather today I think it is time to post some recent random images, mostly immature stages:

White Admiral egg and 1st instar:
P1160639ad.jpg
P1160663ad.jpg
DGF egg:
P1160636ad.jpg
Rare shots of final instar Dingy creating larger hibernaculum which is usually done under cover of darkness:
P1160714ad.jpg
P1160726ad.jpg
The Fox moth larva are now shedding their skins for the 3rd time, and my word, what splendid larva they are. This really doesn't do them justice:
P1160693ad.jpg
The Comma larva from the eggs I 'rescued' from my nettles have grown quickly and 10 mins after I took the last shot it pupated (another one I missed). Love the colours on these:
P1160642ad.jpg
P1160645ad.jpg
P1160733ad.jpg
and a Ringlet that took shelter from the downpours under my guttering:
P1160689ad.jpg
I do hope it made it as there are lots of spiders up there!
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Wow! Quite a collection of immature stages. I particularly like you pre-pupating spiky comma caterpillar.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm really pleased I took those Commas into captivity Katrina as I know there were more eggs laid but I can't see any sign that the unprotected ones have made it - same goes for the Red Admiral.

I decided to dodge the downpours yesterday and go somewhere local. Oxenborne and SSS won over Noar Hill and I was pleased with my choice as I watched 2 females egg-laying as soon as the sun came out. Not wishing to disturb them I turned my attention to this female. I think she had just emerged as she was still trying to sort out her proboscis:
P1160772ad.jpg
P1160830ad.jpg
P1160823ad.jpg
P1160772bd.jpg
P1160786ad.jpg
Last edited by Pauline on Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Beautiful photos. Well done for catching the sun. I went out in the morning but it started to rain as soon as I opened the gate to Castle Hill and continued onwards …
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Katrina. There wasn't much sun but thankfully there are plenty of trees at that site which provide adequate shelter for the many heavy showers. The biggest problem (apart from finding them!) was the strong breeze which appeared from no-where as soon as the rain stopped!!!!! Today the weather looks very similar here, but if it's a choice between looking for butterflies and hoovering .....................
trevor

Post by trevor »

Hoovering for me in this weather, Pauline!. :lol:
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thought I'd just show you what that Comma turned into Katrina:
P1160903ad.jpg
I'm afraid the hoovering lost Trevor. I only saw 8 species which some may think wasn't worth the effort but I think one can learn almost as much from what is NOT seen - no BH obviously! A couple of shots from Noar Hill:
P1160918ad.jpg
P1160921ad.jpg
My ducks live in a kennel with a large run when they are not free range in the garden. Overnight I had accidentally left the light on in the kennel and I was astonished at the number and variety of moths in there the following morning - probably as many as I get in the moth trap. Trouble is, there are a lot of spiders in there and the artificial light makes photography (for me) difficult as the light bounces off the white walls (something to do with white balance?). There were a couple of Brimstone moth looking like they might be about to mate, a silver-y moth, Black Arches, Box moth and the most beautiful, huge Large Emerald which I haven't seen before. I did manage to get the Canary-shouldered Thorn outside for a few shots so here's a few from yesterday:
P1160876ad.jpg
P1160843ad.jpg
P1150155ad.jpg
P1160913ad.jpg
This one was taken a couple of weeks ago but I'm not yet sure what it is:
P1140506ad.jpg
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Morning, Pauline. Lovely shots in your PD recently, as always :) Lovely Brown Hairstreak, shame it wasn't from Noar though! The Silver-spotted Skipper female is a beaut and lots of great early stages, plenty there for all tastes. The management at Noar Hill has always seemed a bit iffy to me, they seem to manage for DOB at the expense of BH. Not sure why they would start in August though, seems a little bit premature :shock:
Your moth btw is a Swallow-tailed moth. We've only been here a year and I've yet to run our moth trap :roll: Perhaps when this fine spell of weather we're promised arrives, I'll give it a go :lol:
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline.

Just catching up again, more great photos and reports recently.

Swallow-tailed Moth for the last one.
Edit; just noticed that Mike beat me to it.

Cheers,

Neil
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Mike (hello to Cathy too) - and thank you. I think you are right about NH - it is probably managed primarily for the DoB but it would be a real shame if BH were lost from there. Perhaps, like many other species, they are just late???..............

Thank you too Neil and thank you both for the ID - always appreciated.

Really too horrible to go out today (and that hoovering won't do itself!) so instead I watched one of my Commas pupate. Fascinating! It reminded me of someone in a straight jacket trying to escape with all the gyrations and sometimes violent contractions. At times it was just spinning around wildly out of control making photography almost impossible - at other times swinging from side to side. I hope these images give some idea of the transition as the skin literally splits open and is peeled off:
P1160952ad.jpg
P1160955ad.jpg
P1160957ad.jpg
P1160960ad.jpg
P1160963ad.jpg
P1160967ad.jpg
P1160973ad.jpg
P1160980ad.jpg
P1170023ad.jpg
P1170041ad.jpg
Much of the time it looked like this:
P1170001d.jpg