Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Wurzel

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I enjoyed your travels with the various Butterflies and hope you found the Silver spots later :D
I missed out on the Graylings and lots more this year so it was good to see your shots, the DGF's looked really good and that unusual Meadow Brown has well, it wet's the appetite for next year :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Glad to have kept the butterfly fire burning - only 3 -4 months to go til next season :wink: :shock: I'm hoping to get round to the Silver-Spot report before the 2020 ones emerge :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Shipton Bellinger 13-08-2019

With the prospect of a Wales ahead of me and the fact that the Brostreaks were playing silly buggers this year I realised that I needed to get my arse in gear is I was hoping to catch up with them! So the plans were made and the stage was set for a meet up with Dave on Monday but we needed to take a rain check. Instead it was Tuesday morning when I found myself pootling along towards Shipton.

Despite the rule book seemingly out of the window this year I arrived at 10ish as I was hoping to have found a Brostreak by the time Dave arrived. As I rounded the corner it seemed that others had come up with a similar plan and there was a group plonked in my favourite spot all staring into the hedge diligently. I mooched about and acquainted myself with a Comma while I waited for them to wander on a little bit. As most did one of their number remained behind and as I started my searching and scanning along the hotspot we both watched as a vivid orange butterfly detached itself from somewhere in the trees and half jinked and half fluttered down coming to land on a crown of Wild Parsnip. Perfect I was in prime position and set about getting some shots.
DSC_0064 - Copy-001.JPG
DSC_0068 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0073 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0074 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0083 - Copy.JPG
After a bit I stood back and watched and waited for Dave to appear. Now if this was a ‘normal’ year the Brostreak would have settled down and still have been feeding an hour or so later, but unfortunately this isn’t a normal year and after too short a time she took to the wing and was gone. I turned away from the hedge and could see Dave walking down the path. Luckily he’d also encountered a Brostreak on his walk up from the village and so swapping war stories we set off for a quick stroll down the length of the hedge and back. Whilst we picked up various species; a pair of Painted Ladies, Common Blues, various whites and a cracking male Adonis, we didn’t find any further Brostreaks and so upon reaching our starting point we carried on up the hill making for the various scallops cut into the side of track.
DSC_0094 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0107 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0111 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0122 - Copy.JPG
The walk up the hill and through the scallops was interspersed with chatting and a changing mixture of butterflies whilst we worked through various microhabitats. There was the wide bare soil track lined by mature trees with Specklies and the odd Peacock. As we reached the top of the hill the tree line to our left ended and we could look across grassland to the hills beyond. Here there were Small Heath, Meadow Browns and a couple of Walls which gave us the run around. The path noticeably narrowed with less mature scrub encroaching on either side of us and at times making me feel a little claustrophobic. It was darker in this part with a few Specklies and not much else and as it opened to the long and thin scallop Hedgies and Meadow Browns appeared before finally we reached the final scallop which I was pinning all of my hopes on. We settled down once here to some proper Hedge Watching. In amid the Browns and Whites Dave discovered a Holly Blue down low – which was only to be expected, I swear I didn’t even see his lips move WINK. After a while our attention is drawn to a distant Brostreak. She lands further back in the hedge and up high so getting ‘onto’ her is a right pain, particularly due to the mass of Bramble and Briar barring our progress. She does come down a little lower and after some very slow and painful manipulation we manage to get in close enough for some shots. It hardly seemed worth it in the end as she was all cut to ribbons.
DSC_0130 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0135 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0142 - Copy.JPG
Record shot only
Record shot only
We decided to make our way back to check out some of the other areas and as we come into the middle scallop a female plumps down right in front of me for two shots of time. As I try to side step so Dave can get a look she flies up and is gone. The walk back throws up a few more Walls and there are some Brostreak sightings up high but it’s all a little like hard work – I can’t remember it being like this and the effort masked my initial triumph with the glorious female. We keep moving cutting across back towards the Master tree and from there down to the dual track, walking the lower side first before coming back on the side with the higher hedges. There are some nice butterflies – blue female Common Blue, fresh Specklies and the odd white here and there as well as glimpses of what could be Hairstreaks. Eventually after this whistle stop tour of Shipton we arrive back at the Main/Back/Hotspot Hedge.
DSC_0154 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0158 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0170 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0181 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Your pristine female Brown Hairstreak is what certain tabloids would call a 'Stunnah'.
As for the quality of the images you must accept a bevy of mrgeens :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously, they did seem to have a strange year, and despite my efforts I only saw two.
Hope they bounce back next year.

Trevor.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Fantastic shots Wurzel, looking forward to reminiscing another visit through your pictures in the near future... or not so near future :lol:. When I get round to making a visit I'll have a good root around for eggs at Bookham to get a better idea of just how numerous they actually were this year.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

That was a good day, Wurzel, even if those Hairstreaks were being a bit difficult. The Wall sightings were a bonus as well, generating the excitement locally because they were in a distinctly inland part of Hampshire! Terrific shots as well, especially of that brand new female that had disapppeared by the time I arrived... :)

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots of the Bros Streaks Wurzel :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: How I wish to see just one, tattered or not!!! :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D I was lucky in that they weren't that down number wise at Shipton - just much harder work! :roll:
Cheers Bugboy :D The outing you're referring too might be a more than a little way in the future - lets get Xmas out the way first maybe :lol:
Cheers Dave :D I reckon the Walls were runaways from Wiltshire as they're to be found across the Plain and on the other side of the road from Shipton :D
Cheers Goldie :D Fingers crossed you get on next season - there must be some sites in Kent where they fly when you're visiting family? Next year for sure :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Shipton Bellinger 13-08-2019 Part2

I know that I keep referring to previous years or that ‘the Brostreaks weren’t following the rules’ but perhaps they were? There’s the flurry of activity upon arrival, it goes a bit quiet before a finishing with a flourish at around 2pm when the females come down and start laying. Well to give the game away as it were that’s exactly what happened on this visit…

Dave and I were back at the main hedge finding yet another Painted Lady for our troubles and we were about half way along and returning to the start point when there was a Brostreak in the hedge, a little bright orange triangle that just appeared from out of nowhere. There weren’t the usual Bramble flowers available for it to feed on so instead she was probing her proboscis in between the druplets of the Blackberries. I don’t know whether she’d been able to pierce the fruit or whether she was taking moisture that had gotten into the spaces between the druplets but she certainly seemed focused and so Dave and I could take it in turns to get plenty of shots from various angles.
DSC_0190 - Copy-001.JPG
DSC_0197 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0208 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0221 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0243 - Copy.JPG
As we were enjoying this one another pair of enthusiasts called out that they had one and she was basking. She started the behaviour pattern of basking for a bit (to raise her temperature) then crawling around in the leaves looking for places to lay (cooling all the while) which meant that we were able to get some open wing basking images to add to the various closed wing selection.
DSC_0249 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0254 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0259 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0260 - Copy.JPG
After this yet another female appeared proving once and again that Brostreaks are like buses. By this stage our faltering meanderings had brought us to the first part of the hedge which has produced so many of my Brostreaks in the past. It seemed quiet today but then it really produced the goods for Dave. Low down was a small bluish white blob. As I got in a bit nearer I realised that it was actually a menage a trois of Holly Blues. Two were locked together in full cop whilst the third was edging in backwards and trying to dislodge the first male from the coupling. He wasn’t having any of it and the interloper got the message and buggered off leaving the pair in cop in prime photographing position.
DSC_0266 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0269 - Copy.JPG
1 DSC_0275 - Copy.JPG
After this a final sweep of the first 20 metres of the hedge threw up yet another Brostreak, this one had a folded wing which meant she was easy to tell apart from all of the others and there was also another but looking at the images she could be the same as the first that we found. Still no complaints here! I took my final shot of here at precisely 3pm and after this the hedge went quiet.
DSC_0281 - Copy.JPG
1 DSC_0297 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0303 - Copy.JPG
So after a cracking start the Brostreaks proved hard work but came good in the end. I’m left wondering what would have happened if Dave and I had get set up camp at the main hedge, would we have gotten anymore Brostreaks? Would they have been easier to find? But then I remember all the other things we’d seen and the fantastic final flurry which was so sweet because of the working and waiting.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Absolutely fantastic Wurzel, :D the open wing shots are brill, I bet you were well pleased that day :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D it was hard work but worth it, plus I had excellent company :D

Wales

14th August

The first day of the trip and low and behold the family Wurzel are going to Wales so it rains. The first day was spent driving and then unpacking and then making the evening meal so no butterflies. Still if the weather report is supposed to be true tomorrow looks good…

15th Llanachaeron

This time the site was actually open which was a bonus! While we waited for the Outlaws to arrive we watched the birds on the feeder – all three tits were present and a very tame juvenile Robin hung around the car. When the others arrived we set off on the woodland walk which runs over the bridge, hugs its way along the river and then doubles back up slightly higher up the hillside before dropping back down to the bridge. Along the way we were followed by a Dipper which at one pint became a pair. It was great to see it bobbing on the stones and watch as it swam through the shallows between some rocks. Once in the wood a Raven ‘Gronked’ overhead a few times and Nuthatches made at least 3 of their calls.
DSC_0308 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0310 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0314 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0319 - Copy.JPG
We then continued the walk on and into the gardens a Painted Lady flew across the tops of the pigsties and Swallows zoomed about overhead but I wanted to get into the Walled Garden as this is usually where most of the butterflies are to be found. As my daughter pushed open the gate/door there was a Painted Lady to greet us. This side often has few butterflies but is still worth checking out and indeed there were a few other bits and pieces. There were two Whites, a fly away Peacock and an unusual Hedgie – only my second of the year! On the other side with the glasshouses I spied at least 2 Painted Ladies and 2 Peacocks at least at the top of a large yellow flowered shrub and as usual the Lavender was really productive. There were 2 whites and 4 Painted Ladies a bush approx. 80cm in diameter. Brilliant but also a bit of a pain – which one to focus on first?
DSC_0339 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0359 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0376 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0377 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0379 - Copy.JPG
During lunch I watched a GVW and SW fly around the bushes as I munched away. I noticed what I thought was a leaf detach itself from a tree and glide down coming to rest in among some Bracken. I carried on eating and replaying the falling leaf and it didn’t seem quite right. As soon as I’d finished and out things away I strolled over and had a look at the Bracken where I thought it would be. I didn’t see any likely looking leaves and then as I turned round what had been a shadow became a side on view of a Painted Lady.
DSC_0393 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0399 - Copy.JPG
After lunch we toured the house and while the girls beat the carpets in the courtyard (if only they completed chores at home with such enthusiasm) I walked round the four walls. There were a couple of moths that will need identification later, a green Cricket and also a Meadow Brown down on the cobbles. As we leave a Holly Blue and Specklie each put in a brief appearance so as not to feel left out I suppose.
DSC_0410 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0415 - Copy.JPG
Because of the unpredictable weather in Wales when visiting my Outlaws I’ve learnt to make hay while the sun shines and so once back and unpacked and with the girls happily playing in the garden I set off up The Lane. I stopped on the end house and checked out the Buddleia first off but there was only a single Peacock and it was on the far side, too far away for any shots. Resolving to check this out again later I carried on up the Lane but my progress was slowed multiple times as it seems that the Lane is back to Hedge Brown Heaven. I’d end up stopping every 10 paces or so for another one or two Hedgies – meticulously checking and counting the number of spots if possible. It was a joy to see so many of this species, they’re having a cracking year. The Hedge Brown fest was interrupted occasionally first by a Painted Lady at the Corner Cottage and then by a further 3 Painted Ladies that were hanging around on the corner of the track down to Middle Farm. On the return back to the house the same species were seen and back at the Buddleia a Red Admiral had joined the Peacock.
DSC_0436 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0448 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0466 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0509 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0538 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0544 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0561 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0565 - Copy.JPG
However I didn’t stop there. When I got back rather than heading in for a coffee I stayed out and checked out the Verbena at the side of the house. I was astounded to see a Red Admiral a Painted Lady and 5 Small Torts, brilliant! Now I could retire for the day…
DSC_0580 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0594 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Neil Hulme grades Brown Hairstreaks from 1 to 10, your latest specimen must be close to 10!.
And you are right about them appearing from nowhere, with most of my finds I've just happened
to notice one perched on a leaf, and it wasn't there a few moments before.
Probably an egg laying female that had walked down a stem to lay and was hidden from view,
and reappeared to bask before flying off to find her next, young, succulent Blackthorn stem.

Great stuff as always,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D In the words The Crocketts "she was a first rate £%$&ing stunna" for sure :D 8) Their tendency to just appear is possibly why one of my butterfly finding techniques works; I stroll along the hedge and then at random time intervals suddenly turn and glare at a section of the hedge daring a Brostreak to appear :D I get some funny looks but it's worth it :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

December 2019

So it's almost time to make the next one...Happy Advent...from yesterday :roll: :lol:
12 Dec.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

17th August – Aberystwyth

So the 16th came and went and it was wet and blustery all day, steadily getting wetter as the day wore on, in fact the complete opposite of the forecast. Still the girls enjoyed a swim and I was able to catch up on some bits and bobs. This morning the weather was looking much better – still blustery but warmer and brighter so we risked a trip to Aberystwyth. After braving Morrison’s we headed off towards the town taking the River Path.
Before we were on the path proper we walked alongside a soak away field and in the corner nearest the path a huge Buddleia (or several) towered. It looked just like a high rise made for butterflies so I let the others walk on and spent a few minutes seeing what I could see. A Red Admiral caught my eye as it was so contrasting with the lilac of the florets. And then my eye was in and I started counting. At least I tried to as I walked round the base of the bush Painted Ladies would erupt, like tangerine Meadow Browns, from beneath my feet. A few Peacocks were interspersed with the PLs and Red Admirals on the bush itself. As I got to the far end of the bush a butterfly erupted Meadow Brown style from the grass and it was actually a Meadow Brown. There was also a White which on closer inspection became a Small one. So in about three minutes I’d seen singletons of Small White and Meadow Browns, three Peacocks, three Red Admirals and at least 9 Painted Ladies.
DSC_0601 - Copy-001.JPG
DSC_0609 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0612 - Copy.JPG
As I ran to catch up with the rest of the family another couple of Painted Ladies flew from the Blackberries that lined the path and down by the skate park a Green-veined White caught my eye in amid the Willow Herb as well as a secret Peacock too far back for my cameras reach. After this I put my camera away as the nectar sources available would soon be next to none as we entered into Aber town proper. As usual when I’ve done this the butterflies pop up in unusual places. This time it was a brace of Painted Ladies on the smallest of Buddleia. It was just two sticks, two florets and delusions of grandeur but it held two butterflies somehow.
DSC_0621 - Copy.JPG
On Saturday in Aberystwyth the buses are free – a brilliant idea to try and boost trade and get cars off the road and also because it meant that while the others waited the 20 minutes for the bus I could walk swiftly back to the Buddleia to see what else had turned up. I didn’t see anything until after the Skate Park when a Comma landed just long enough for me to only contemplate a few shots. There was also a Painted Lady which was feasting on Blackberries. I pressed on as I the 6 kg of muesli in my rucksack was slowing me down a bit more than I thought it would.

When I got to the Buddleia the Painted Ladies were again taking off from the ground which made counting difficult. The wind added to the complication of the counting procedure as well as the photography as almost as soon as a butterfly would land it would pick up and knock them off of their perch! Still I carried on seeing Red Admiral, Peacocks, another Small White and a Small Tortoiseshell. IN fact the whole bush was seemingly alive with butterflies. The Red Admirals had taken Obi Wan’s advice and occupied the high ground whilst the Peacocks straddled the middle to lower stretches, the Small Tort never ventured above chest height and the Painted Ladies acted like the jezebels they could be named after taking nectar wherever they chose.
DSC_0626 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0642 - Copy.JPG
1 DSC_0649 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0654 - Copy.JPG
1 DSC_0664 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0698 - Copy-001.JPG
DSC_0701 - Copy.JPG
I was almost all the way back to Morrison’s where I was meeting the others and contemplating whether I’d managed any decent shots of the Small Tort when I spied a second sitting perfectly posed for me.
DSC_0709 - Copy.JPG
When we got back the sun was still shining and so I after getting the things in and put away I checked the Verbena round the corner – today only 4 Small Torts and 2 Painted Ladies.
1 DSC_0720 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That was a lovely post to blow away those winter blues. I do look forward to your winter posts to brighten up these cold, dark days😊.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great to see your latest shots Wurzel, they certainly brighten my moods :D I've been looking back through my shots has well to brighten the days until I take off for Christmas, I always think once Christmas is passed, we're on the way to Spring, :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Bugboy :D I know that I shouldn't 'showboat' but there's still a few to get through before the next season starts :wink: :lol:
Cheers Goldie :D Your Marshies certainly lifted my spirits - I could do with that at the moment as Teddy our indoor Ragdoll got out of the house on Sunday. He was only out for 30 seconds and got clipped by a car - 'de-gloved' his left hind paw and dislocated his right hind ankle :( Luckily he's been patched up but looks very sorry for himself as he's on cage rest for the for-seeable future. :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

So Sorry to hear about your wombed Ragdoll Wurzel , I bet the girls are upset, I'm guessing on what your rag doll is!!!!
I've had three dogs, one got killed on the road years ago, the other two we'd to put to sleep, it was awful, so bad I refuse to get another even though with Jim gone it gets lonely, hope he's better soon. Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Teddy the Ragdoll Cat is a Bicolour- which means he's got dark markings on his face that look like a Zorro or bandit mask - so when he was in the cage he looked a lot like his was in the nick :lol: Hopefully things will continue to go well tomorrow at his next check up. :?

Anyway because of this I've managed to get even further behind...

18th Dolaucothi

Not an awful lot of butterflies today. The morning was spent panning for gold and then getting kitted out with hard hats and head lamps for visiting the mines. This is a brilliant National Trust site although not really great for butterflying. Still I took my camera on the circular walk that takes in the old Roman Fort and Gold mine. There were a couple of really nice looking Specklies but they just wouldn’t sit still. As we worked down the far side of the hill spied some movement on the thistles that grew through the foundations for the old workings. When I got nearer I could see that it was a Painted Lady and on the next patch there were another 3 one of which was the newest looking that I’d seen this season.
DSC_0727 - Copy-001.JPG
DSC_0737 - Copy-001.JPG
Apart from a Small White as we got back into the mine that was it butterfly wise but still a cracking day.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”