Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Steve Kirtley

Re: Trevor

Post by Steve Kirtley »

Good to meet you at Whitehawk Trevor!
I think that I left as the lull started....
David M

Post by David M »

Things been relatively frustrating for you lately, or so it seems, Trevor. Persistence pays off though, and I'm glad you finally caught up with those Long Tailed Blues. :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Steve. Must visit your area, all the species I have yet to see are in the North.

Cheers David. No frustrations this morning.

Early this morning, 8am is now early as the sunrise is now later, I went over to Horseshoe Plantation,
mainly for Adonis Blues. With few exceptions most Adonis clung to their grass stems because of the
strong cool breeze, and refused to open up.
Soon after arrival I found a pristine Clouded Yellow, again too cool to fly far, but once I had taken a
few shots I clumsily rose to my feet and disturbed the Cloudie which promptly flew nearby and landed
with the other side on view.
A resting Hummingbird Hawk moth was a surprise find, and along the edge of the wooded area many
Speckled Woods basked and squabbled in the direct sunshine. Two fresh Commas were also found here
indulging on ripe blackberries. My last find on the way back to the car was a ' blue' female Common Blue.

A very satisfying two hours!
Trevor.
Attachments
P1350107.JPG
P1350050.JPG
P1350066.JPG
P1350060.JPG
P1350105.JPG
P1350074.JPG
P1350088.JPG
P1350096.JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of the Cloudy Trevor, much better than I took :D :mrgreen: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brill Cloudy shots Trevor 8) The ones I've found have all been a bit tatty but yours is in fabulous nick :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Fingers crossed I can catch up with one like that from the next 'batch' :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Goldie & Wurzel. Not only was that Cloudie fresh, it was in no hurry to escape for a change.

Having read that there was a third Brood of Wall Browns I thought a visit would be worthwhile.
Conditions weren't ideal, with very warm sunshine combined with a stiff breeze never the less
I was greeted by a pair of squabbling Walls and in the meadow several more were seen, all males.
They varied from a few days old to fresh, but most closed up on landing, open wing shots
were at a premium. On arrival back at home my neighbours buddleja was host to a Comma,
two HBHM and several fresh Red Admirals.
Attachments
P1350137.JPG
P1350126.JPG
P1350142.JPG
P1350141.JPG
P1350148.JPG
P1350149.JPG
trevor

Post by trevor »

With a couple of spare hours this afternoon I went over to Herstmonceux to see
how the Small Coppers were coming along, it is usually about now that numbers peak there.
As most were fresh it's possible that some have still to emerge. But numbers seen today
were well down on previous years. A few Common Blues were seen too.
Attachments
I've no idea where the blue tint came from!.
I've no idea where the blue tint came from!.
P1350180.JPG
P1350168.JPG
P1350187.JPG
P1350162.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see you have slightly more luck with the Walls there than at Shipton Bellinger 8) they were just too turbo charged that day :roll: I can't work out how you got the blue rinse on the Small Copper either but it makes for a very striking image :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Gorgeous Small Copper photos :D :mrgreen:
trevor

Post by trevor »

Can't explain the blue rinse either Wurzel. The only processing by me was to brighten
and slightly crop the image, otherwise it's what the camera saw. I agree it's a strange one.

Thanks Katrina. The Coppers were found in their usual areas.

This afternoon I went over to Rowland Wood hoping for more Small Coppers, none seen.
But several Common Blues were flitting about the remaining Fleabane flowers.
A fresh Peacock was also on the Fleabane, and had already suffered a bird strike, with two
small nicks at the base of the hindwings.
Attachments
P1350206.JPG
P1350196.JPG
P1350224.JPG
P1350236.JPG
P1350215.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Love those shots Trevor :D Interesting to see the blue-white spots in the middle of the hind wing of the female Common Blue - I've started seeing more and more of this variation 8) :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Love the Cloudies, Walls and Coppers, Trevor, but what I'm most envious of is the Peacock - I've only seen two since mid July. :(
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

That's a belting shot of the Peacock Trevor, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It's one of my favourite Butterflies, I mean the last shot you took, it's very rare to see all the under sides at once and so clear, they've always been a side view for me :D Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel. Unfortunately that female Common Blue was a bit faded.

Thanks David and Goldie. The Peacock was in a lovely setting with just a yellow and green backdrop.
For some reason Goldie that underside shot reminds me of Queen Victoria's mourning dresses!.

This morning I went up to High and Over for third brood Wall Browns.
The breeze up there was much stronger than at home, as a result only one male was found in the meadow..
Returning to the gate at the bottom of the steps I was greeted by three males brawling in the breeze.
It became clear that the sheltered hillside by the white horse was where the action was. Occasionally
a male Wall would flip over the brambles and bask on the well known steps.
Because of the cool conditions each landed and basked open wing, whereas om my last visit it was hot
and most closed their wings on landing. The third brood seems to be showing well despite the conditions.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1350270.JPG
P1350267.JPG
P1350251.JPG
P1350261.JPG
P1350266.JPG
P1350271.JPG
trevor

Post by trevor »

Let's play ' Spot the Cloudie '.

On my last visit to Horseshoe Plantation a car pulled up and the driver beckoned me over.
He seemed to know me, but he was new to me. The reason he stopped was to tell me of
a nearby field of lucerne which was attracting many Clouded Yellows.
This afternoon I had plenty of time to investigate, and sure enough the were probably
hundreds of Clouded Yellows skipping over this very large field. Unfortunately the field
was protected by a very unfriendly looking electric fence, so I had to be satisfied with
being a distant onlooker. A few Cloudies flew close by but none settled, so below are
some very distant shots, the best I could manage in the circumstances.
Attachments
The lucerne is in the green field in the distance.
The lucerne is in the green field in the distance.
Close up of the field of Lucerne.
Close up of the field of Lucerne.
P1350275.JPG
P1350278.JPG
P1350282.JPG
P1350287.JPG
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

How wonderful to see hundreds
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Katrina it was unbelievable but frustrating !.
trevor

Post by trevor »

On the way back to the car this afternoon I called in at Horseshoe Plantation.
Among the worn Adonis Blues was one very fresh one, which I followed around
to several different locations as I am unlikely to find another so fresh until next Spring.
An almost expired Chalkhill Blue was at the other end of the scale compared to the Adonis.
Over by the woodland edge three fresh Commas were basking after indulging in ripe blackberries.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1350297.JPG
P1350301.JPG
P1350300.JPG
P1350291.JPG
P1350332.JPG
P1350320.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That must have been really annoying Trevor - so many Cloudies so close :roll: :( :( Still those nice looking Adonis must have been some salve 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Seems to be something of a 'crocea-fest' going on at the moment. Long may it continue! :)

Not surprised that field was full of them, Trevor. There can't be too many fields like that rammed with their preferred foodplant. Amazing sight, though I accept it must have been driving you crazy not to be able to get in amongst them.

Great to see such fresh Adonis Blues in September, and nice Commas too, especially that first one which has a discal mark joined to the costa that is strikingly large!

Return to “Personal Diaries”