millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Otep. I do know what you mean about hanging around, but in this particular case the sun had gone firmly in and nothing else was flying! I took the risk... :wink: :)

Wednesday 12th May. The forecast in the morning hinted at heavy showers (again!), certainly if I stayed at home, but maybe with a lower risk further south. I therefore followed through with the plan conceived the evening before and headed for High & Over on the South Downs behind Seaford. The target was the Wall Brown, annoying absent from sight on my recent visit to Mill Hill, but almost a given at H & O.

I stopped for a coffee at Pease Pottage services, and was greeted by one of the forecast showers, and it was none too warm at 9am either. However, as I headed down the A23 things improved, and reaching the outskirts of Brighton and heading east there was for a while wall-to-wall blue sky. In fact this continued to Seaford, but as I climbed the hill behind the town, fluffy cotton wool clouds were interfering with the sun, blowing in from the sea on a stiffish breeze. Despite fair amounts of sunshine, even in the sheltered parts of my destination site I found nothing except Speckled Woods - not a single Wall.

However, I had a Plan B. I set off across along the hill to the west through sheep-littered fields to reach the ancient trackway known as the Comp. This track is somewhat sunken and runs between high hedges which provide terrific shelter from most wind directions, but always have sunlit parts. Most importantly, the track provides an excellent environment for Wall Browns and I am pleased to say this was the case today. After a short while, there was the familiar sight of an orange-brown butterfly bouncing along the path ahead. However, what was less familiar was that it was approachable - as were most of the others I saw here. The constant changes in sun intensity as the cloud came and went, plus the overall lowish temperatures, probably combined to make the butterflies more inclined to bask. Whatever the reason, I wasn't complaining.

The butterflies were all pretty fresh as well and initially all appeared to be males.
Wall9 120521.JPG
Wall8 120521.JPG
Wall6 120521.JPG
Wall3 120521.JPG
Wall10 120521.JPG
Wall1 120521.JPG
A number of skirmishes took place as territories overlapped, but I then spotted two individuals behaving differently, landing on the ground relatively close to each other.
Wall15 120521.JPG
This was clearly a male and a female. He made a closer apprach, but she fended him off with some frantic wing fluttering, but at one point they posed quite well.
Wall20 120521.JPG
However, he then lost interest and she went on to bask and provide some reasonable views.
Wall24 120521.JPG
Wall26 120521.JPG
Wall23 120521.JPG
Also seen along with the Walls were a few more Specklies, a couple of Painted Ladies, and (braving it in with the sheep) a Small Heath.
SpW1 120521.JPG
PL1 120521.JPG
PL3 120521.JPG
SH1 120521.JPG
Though things had warmed up a bit by the time I returned to the car at High & Over, I still couldn't track down any more Walls in their usual haunts.

It still looked sunnier to the west, so I headed back in that direction - but continued on to Mill Hill rather than returning home. Another post for that I think. :)

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Beautiful Walls, Dave. I have found them quite placid ( for Walls! ) in cool
indifferent weather. As you say they all look fresh, and a great shot of the more
elusive female. ' The hedge ' makes a good windbreak if the wind is coming from the west',
but not from any other direction.

You beat me to them!,
Trevor.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Shocking Wall behaviour! :mrgreen:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

That was definitely one of the best sessions I've ever had with the species, Trevor. Oddly enough I had a good one in exactly the same place a few years ago during another cold spring - even later, on 1st June. The strange thing this time was not seeing any at all at High & Over itself.

The Wall courtship was a new one for me, Buggy, even though it didn't actually go anywhere.

On to Mill Hill for the middle of the day (12th May). There certainly was a lot of variety, as Bugboy's report from a few days earlier had suggested. I counted 16 species altogether, which surprisingly did not include Orange Tip, Comma, Small Tortoiseshell (all of which Bugboy saw) nor any Brown Argus which I thought might well be out. Dingy Skippers predominated...
DS1 120521.JPG
DS2 120521.JPG
DS3 120521.JPG
...and there were plenty of Grizzlies too...
GS1 120521.JPG
GS2 120521.JPG
...plus increasing numbers of Common Blues.
CB2 120521.JPG
CB4 120521.JPG
I did see Walls this time, but they were nowhere near as cooperative as the ones I'd been with earlier.
Wall1 120521.JPG
However, the star butterfly here today was a new Adonis Blue: just the one as far as I could tell, being given a hard time by the Common Blues which were far more active and aggressive.
AB3 120521.JPG
AB4 120521.JPG
AB1 120521.JPG
It was time now to head back north, but depending on how the journey went I could probably fit in one more stop just off my route home...

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm with Bugboy Dave :shock: Cracking set of shots :mrgreen: BUT those Walls don't deserve to be called such; they're traitors to their species :wink: :lol: Lush Adonis...I was just cathing up as well and then Painted Lady, Wall, Adonis so still behind :mrgreen:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Wurzel - the Walls really were terrific, and that Adonis was an unexpected bonus! :)

The way back home for me on 12th May took me up the A24, and the traffic was suitably light. Before very long I'd reached Dorking, so it was a very short detour up to Denbies hillside where remarkably the sun was still shining. Here were more Dingy and Grizzled Skippers in good numbers (particularly the Dingies), plus several Small Coppers and Small Heaths, and singletons of Peacock, Brimstone, Green Hairstreak, Common Blue and Painted Lady.
SC1 120521.JPG
GS1 120521.JPG
DS4 120521.JPG
DS1 120521.JPG
Unfortunately I had to leave just at the time the skippers were going to roost, so I missed that particular opportunity for photogenic poses.

Nevertheless, overall it was a very good day, and remarkable given the nature of the recent weather to have so much sunshine.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thursday 13th May was back to the by now familiar mostly grey and showery weather. However, an unexpected break in the cloud at around 4pm lured me down to Staines Moor in case anything was flying. Well, I did see an Orange Tip making the most of things, but a quick search of the most favoured Copper haunts turned up nothing...

But hang on a tick! What was that silvery-grey shape that just fluttered across? Not a Copper, definitely. Luckily, it moved again, and this time I was able to track it down - a fresh Brown Argus, my first of the year, and unusually for a the first one seen, a female. It was very amenable to being photographed, so how could I resist?
BA12 130521.JPG
BA10 130521.JPG
BA8 130521.JPG
BA2 130521.JPG
BA1 130521.JPG
BA6 130521.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Friday 14th May was much the same, and activity was limited to looking for roosting Orange Tips. Brief spells of sun are enough to wake them up...
OT9 140521.JPG
OT10 140521.JPG
OT4 140521.JPG
OT1 140521.JPG
...and also the odd Green-veined White hiding in the undergrowth.
GVW3 140521.JPG
GVW4 140521.JPG
GVW7 140521.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Saturday 15th May was a bit better, but on a local walk I still only found 26 butterflies of six species - and nearly half of these were Orange Tips. Locally anyway, the poor spring weather hasn't dented their numbers that much.
male
male
female
female
OT3 150521.JPG
Also seen were Small and GV Whites, Holly Blues, Small Coppers and Small Heaths.
GVW1 150521.JPG
SC3 150521.JPG
SH1 150521.JPG
SH3 150521.JPG
SH4a 150521.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More cracking stuff Dave - that Brown Argus fresh out of the box is a stunner - there's something kinda silky like about them when they're that fresh :D 8) This wet and cool weather has had one benefit and that's what feels like an extended OT flight, although it's probably that they're often the only thing flying :? Lovely Small Heaths - I love the variation in the spotting, it's like the warm up activity for me before the Hedgies arrive :wink: :lol:

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel! :) Yes, Orange Tips seem to have been guaranteed whatever else was going on. For a generally unregarded buterfly, there is a lot of variety with the underside markings of Small Heaths. If they weren't so skittish (when it's sunny, that is) it would make an interesting study. The thing I like about them is that they are so furry! :)

Sunday 16th May. Cooler and cloudier than Saturday, and fewer butterflies - in fact I only found eleven on my local patch, but bizarrely there were eight different species among them. This total included the first Brown Argus here for 2021, a male to match the female I'd seen at Staines Moor two days earlier.
BA4 160521.JPG
BA6 160521.JPG
BA8 160521.JPG
I took shots of the underside from both sides and noticed that there was an extra spot on one side.
BA1 160521.JPG
spot the spot!
spot the spot!
You could tell there wasn't much sun today - only one Orange Tip appeared...
OT1 160521.JPG
OT4 160521.JPG
...and only two Small Whites and one GVW. There was a single Painted Lady flying through...
PL1 160521.JPG
...and one Small Heath hunkered down.
SH2 160521.JPG
Unusually, the most frequently seen species today was the Small Copper, with three separate individuals. Two I'd seen before...
SC5 160521.JPG
SC6 160521.JPG
...but the third was a newbie.
SC4 160521.JPG
SC3 160521.JPG
Finally, a single Holly Blue made an appearance. Luckily, a rare bit of sunshine inspired it to wake up and bask for me.
HB1 160521.JPG
HB6 160521.JPG
HB3 160521.JPG
Considering the unpromising look to the day, it turned out pretty successfully with a varied and colourful array of butterflies.

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

A mrgreen each for the Brown Argus :mrgreen: ,and that obliging Holly Blue :mrgreen: .
Nice shots of both!.

Stay safe,
Trevor.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Trevor - considering how few butterflies I saw, those two and the new Small Copper stood out. The Small Heath was none too shabby either! :)

Monday 17th May was another sunshine-and-showers day, but a bit warmer. I counted 40 butterflies on my local walk today, and the extra sunshine meant the Orange Tips were back with by far the largest contingent, including several females.
OT1 170521.JPG
Another new Small Copper had joined today, making four in all across three distinct spots.
SC1 170521.JPG
SC11 170521.JPG
There was some interaction with one of the estabished incumbents.
SC2 170521.JPG
Numbers are never very high here, but there are five or six widely spaced areas where they crop up every year. What these areas all have in common is that they are on the south/southwest sides of hedges or patches of scrubby woodland and receive lots of sunshine.

Photos of Green-veined Whites have been easier this year (the constant sun/cloud mix may well be the cause) and so far they have been almost as numerous as the Small Whites. This was not true of 2020 here, when the latter species far outnumbered the former by a wide margin.
GVW1 170521.JPG
GVW3 170521.JPG
On the other hand, thus far Large Whites have been very few and far between, and I was taken by surprise whilst watching the sparring Coppers shown above when a sizeable female Large White drifted past, hopping from dandelion to dandelion. It was frustratingly difficult to approach, despite the frequent fuel stops, and I had to be content with a somewhat distant shot.
LW1 170521.JPG
The sun then abruptly went in and the butterfly immediately went to ground and shut up shop. Now I could approach very closely, but for quite a different view.
LW3 170521.JPG
Also seen today were a few Holly Blues, a single Brimstone and a handful of Peacocks.
PK1 170521.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More brilliant shots Dave :D Interesting that you've seen more GVW's - could that be the damper season has favoured them :? - or could it be that they make up the large numbers of Unidentified Flying White's in most years but this season in the cool they're settled down :wink:

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Wurzel! :) It could be just natural variation in numbers with the GVW. We'll see how things pan out with the rest of the season.

Tuesday 18th May. Today's forecast seemed to suggest that the showers might be bigger, but there might be bigger gaps between them and they might not appear until after midday. Clutching at that particular straw and with fingers firmly crossed I headed for Chiddingfold and the prospect of some Wood Whites.

Amazingly, this particular bit of meteorological fortune-telling ended up being pretty accurate, and there was a surprising amount of sunshine with a few cloudier (but not wet) interludes. It was after ten that the Wood Whites started flying, and having woken up they began to also be increasingly easy to find becalmed during the cloudy patches. As far as I could tell, the butterflies I came across were largely males, and I saw no classic interactive behaviour at all today. There were a few half-hearted chases, and two butterflies settled in close proximity, but no head-to-head proboscis-waving encounters. However, I did manage to take over 300 photos, which required lengthy (and radical) pruning later on. Gauging the light levels was very tricky as they changed drastically each time the sun was obscured and of course when the subject is a white butterfly... :)

Excuses in place, here is a selection from the visit.
WW2 180521.JPG
WW3 180521.JPG
WW8 180521.JPG
WW21 180521.JPG
WW24 180521.JPG
WW14 180521.JPG
WW19 180521.JPG
WW18 180521.JPG
WW30 180521.JPG
WW31 180521.JPG
WW27 180521.JPG
WW28 180521.JPG
I usually rely on the courtship behaviour to facilitate attempting photos of the uppersides, but in their absence today, I had to resort to pointing the camera at any chases that passed me by. The first one is very reminiscent of the two male Cloudies I got a shot of last autumn.
WW9 180521.JPG
WW10 180521.JPG
I think I saw between 15 and 20 individual butterflies of this species, far outnumbering the total of others seen in the wood (one GVW, one Speckled Wood, one Brimstone and two Peacocks). I left just after noon, and within twenty minutes, the heavens opened and I drove home through constant rain (probably keeping pace with this particular shower!).

Nevertheless, I was thankful I'd taken the opportunity and the forecast had been spot on.

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Just gone through your post Dave, fantastic Butterfly shots, love them :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

I really enjoyed looking at all of your photos Dave. Thank you for sharing those. I particularly liked looking at the Walls. I have never seen one of those before and they are on my 2021 hit list. I was doing homework by looking at the photos.

The Brown Argus look very nice and pristine. Nice of one to settle on your finger for you.

The Orange Tips are mighty fine too. Lovely wing shots.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Goldie - it has really been hard work this year, and though I've seen a few species, numbers seem right down because of the weather.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Otep wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:59 pm I really enjoyed looking at all of your photos Dave. Thank you for sharing those. I particularly liked looking at the Walls. I have never seen one of those before and they are on my 2021 hit list. I was doing homework by looking at the photos.

The Brown Argus look very nice and pristine. Nice of one to settle on your finger for you.

The Orange Tips are mighty fine too. Lovely wing shots.
Many thanks, Otep! :) Those Walls were uncharacteristically easy to approach that morning, as usually you will find yourself getting just to the sweet spot where a decent photo seems available when the butterfly flies off a few more metres down the path or to a new bit of bare earth. They can be immensely frustrating! The friendly Brown Argus was very new and a bit subdued by the lack of proper warmth. Most butterfly species, given the right conditions, can be persuaded onto a finger (probably even a Wall, though I haven't managed that one yet I don't think! :) ). As others have mentioned, Orange Tips have also been more amenable than usual this year because there has been so much sun/cloud/sun weather that tends to stop their constant patrolling in its tracks.

Good luck with your list for the year!

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

You caught those Wood Whites just right, Dave, and did well with a ' white ' subject.
I wonder if any will still be around when His Majesty appears. Last year a few Spring
and new Summer brood were flying together in late June. Great shots too :mrgreen:

Stay safe and well,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”