Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by Wurzel »

" my pictures were taken at arm’s length above my head to get a clear shot" so you employed 'manual zoom' :wink: :lol:
Lovely set of images especially the Peregrine 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, yes, manual zoom won the day :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 2024

Thursday 20th. I’ve always done the Large Blue on a weekend to get a cheaper train fare, but this year I found a cheap return to Stroud on a week day, in fact cheaper than my usual weekend train and both were direct instead of changing at Swindon. I’ll never understand UK train fares. Anyway, after a 20 minute bus to Sapperton and the short walk to the site I found myself on the familiar grassy bank looking for it’s most famous denizens. They’d already been out here for several weeks, I’d seen the first mention of them on facebook back in May, but I wasn’t too worried about being too late, I was more concerned about the predicted heat that might keep them too active and stop them opening up. I needn’t have worried about the latter, the first one I came across presented itself for my viewing pleasure despite the already warm day.
IMG_0023.JPG
The former concern did however make its presence felt and over the course of the day I had several encounters where they weren’t in the mood to pose for me. In total I managed to pin down five although two of them were very much split-second record shots.

The second one I got in the morning was a particularly fresh one who was rather reticent to open up, giving me and a couple of other enthusiasts just a brief glimpse.
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
After having lunch and cooling down in the Daneway Inn, I returned to find them a little too active, only managing a female oviposturing and a distant upperside.
IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG
Late on I stumbled across another freshly emerged one who did pose like a trooper.
IMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0170.JPG
Other than the target there was actually very little else about, Marbled White and Ringlet had barely got going yet and just a handful of Skippers were about. Unusually for my visits, a few Common Blue were also active, usually the Large variety are the only ones I ever see here.
IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0183.JPG
I thought I was cutting things fine for the journey home. Three buses a day serve the route to and from Sapperton and the last one got into Stroud just 5 minutes before my train was due. I needn’t have worried, my train was delayed… by 90 minutes. The cheap fare instantly becoming 50% cheaper thanks to delay/repay!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looks like British Rail managed to up your butterfly per pound ratio 8) :lol: Cracking set of shots, I need to get back there next year, although being later means fitting everything else in starts to be a it of a headache :? A nice headache though (if there is such a thing) :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You’re right Wurzel, it does feel like everything happens all at once much more than it used to. Delayed springs then everything rushes to catch up and before you know it it’s Chalk Hills, Brown Hairstreaks and Silver-spotted Skippers!

June 2024

Friday 21st. I returned to Bookham today, the primary target being White Admirals which were found and to be honest there wasn’t much else around, certainly they were almost the only thing I pointed my camera at! They did have the annoying habit of sitting in the shade or against the sun for the most part but that didn’t stop me taking many pictures.
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0134.JPG
The only two other butterflies that made me reach for the camera was a Red Admiral doing it’s Emperor impression and a Comma.
IMG_0078.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Things have definitely been out of kilter this year - I saw Silver-spots and Brostreaks before Chlakhills :shock: :? Love the back-lit White Admirals - I do like a bit of stained glass 8) :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:17 pm..Anyway, after a 20 minute bus to Sapperton and the short walk to the site I found myself on the familiar grassy bank looking for it’s most famous denizens. They’d already been out here for several weeks, I’d seen the first mention of them on facebook back in May, but I wasn’t too worried about being too late, I was more concerned about the predicted heat that might keep them too active and stop them opening up...
Good decision, Paul.

Go a little later and you avoid the masses who want to be among the first to see them...and you have more females around, which are easier to study.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Not just any old Silver-spotsWurzel, a mating pair at that! Second Brood Adonis are out with fresh Chalk Hills now too, hybrids next year?
Well it wasn’t really a decision David, just the only time I could fit the trip in really, the unpredictable weather has been lording it over me this year!

June 2024

Saturday 22nd. After getting home the previous day from Bookham I read that the first Emperors had been seen at Knepp. After kicking myself for not taking a wander up to the master tree I figured a trip to Chiddingfold was worth a punt. The weather was a bit borderline and as far as Emperors were concerned, my luck fell on the wrong side of that border. The cool, overcast conditions also meant butterflies in general were a bit thin on the ground but I found a few other things to point my camera at.
IMG_0039.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG
Eventually the cloud did start to thin and I came across a Large Skipper egg laying
IMG_0078.JPG
IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0107.JPG
A couple more Large Skippers were encountered as well as a few Ringlet and a White Admiral
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0348.JPG
But in the absence of any Emperors most of my attention was spent following the last few of the first brood Wood Whites who appeared every time the sun came out. I followed a female around who looked like she’s run out of eggs, she would stop and go through the motions frequently, but I never witnessed an actual egg being laid. A couple of males were also active leading to predictable interactions.
IMG_0426.JPG
IMG_0457.JPG
IMG_0499.JPG
IMG_0656.JPG
IMG_0706.JPG
IMG_0912.JPG
IMG_0922.JPG
IMG_0875.JPG
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Great stuff, Buggy! Whoever manages to capture the actual moment of copulation in Wood White deserves a medal. I genuinely wonder if all of the shenanigans with the tongue-flicking and head movements by the male is actually conducted during a mating! From what I've read, the female succumbs quite readily without all of the showmanship :D

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

Excellent sequence, Paul.

I saw my first mating pair of Wood Whites this spring and there didn't seem to be any real preamble, although the male spotted the female in the air and they paired up soon after alighting.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

David M wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 11:31 am I saw my first mating pair of Wood Whites this spring and there didn't seem to be any real preamble, although the male spotted the female in the air and they paired up soon after alighting.
:thumbsup:
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Really interesting set of Wood White shots Bugboy 8) I'd not noticed the range in the depth of the black spot markings before -you seem to have charcoal to 'salt and pepper' and one that's almost all white 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Pete. I’ve only come across one pair in cop but never saw how they got together. Like everyone who’s ever taken the time to watch the species though, I’ve watched the ‘courtship’ routine countless times which has never ended in anything. I do have a theory that it is designed to encourage a second mating. I would also venture that similarly elaborate courtship displays such as the Silver-washed Fritillary cartwheel have a similar function (I also see Meadow Browns use a very similar interaction). Essentially, I think they’re just a highly ritualised version of usual White harassment technique which again usually ends in rejection.
Thanks Wurzel, it might be just the way the light was hitting them at the time but one of the females certainly had more markings!

June 2024

Sunday 23rd. My last day of my two-week break and I took a punt on Norfolk. I’d written off Swallowtails this year since they appeared early and every time I looked at going the weather forecast was shocking. However I was still seeing reports coming out of Norfolk some six or seven weeks after the first ones were seen and they still looked reasonably fresh so perhaps there was an extended emergence happening. Anyway the weather actually looked decent so I went for it. I hadn’t even got my camera out my bag when a Norfolk Hawker plonked itself down in front of me, that’ll do for starters!
IMG_0007.JPG
A wander over the hill and down past the Doctors Garden didn’t give me anything so I ventured onto the reserve itself and found myself some larvae.
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
A full circuit of the reserve still drew a blank but another consolation prize were the Marsh Harriers which popped up regularly. The best views were when one flew low over the reeds close to an opening on the path but far to fast to get a picture, so I had to wait until they gained a bit of height.
IMG_0074.JPG
Truth be told there weren’t many butterflies around at all, a Ringlet and a Green-veined White were all I managed in the first few hours.
IMG_0105.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG
Odonata were much more numerous, here’s an ovipositing Hairy Hawker and some Azure Damselflies doing the same thing.
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG
The targets namesake had also been breeding, this is a fledgling next to a sunbathing adult.
IMG_0193.JPG
Having done two circuits and checked the usual hotspots several times I was starting to think my luck was out but what I planned to be one final look into a favoured clearing revealed a large deep yellow Butterfly soaring back and forth. I watched and waited to see if he was going to land which he duly did and allowed me to get within range for a few snaps.
IMG_0211.JPG
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG
After a minute or so he took to the air again, soared around me briefly and then buggered off. I stayed for another few hours but that was it. A year tick but a frustrating one. Better luck next year one hopes
trevor

Post by trevor »

Your Swallowtail was certainly late to the party, and looks fresh too.
As for Wood Whites I witnessed coupling a few years back.
As I was photographing a resting specimen another flew in and coupling took place
while I blinked. I could not believe how instantaneous it was.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Well done with the Swallowtail Paul, a well deserved reward for taking a chance.
bugboy wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 10:09 pm I’d written off Swallowtails this year since they appeared early and every time I looked at going the weather forecast was shocking. However I was still seeing reports coming out of Norfolk some six or seven weeks after the first ones were seen and they still looked reasonably fresh so perhaps there was an extended emergence happening.
It seems that, much like last year, there were a few early sightings and then a pause before an extended emergence over a longer period. Most of the reports I saw were from Hickling Broad where once again they seemed to have a reasonable season, not sure how they did elsewhere.

Cheers,

Neil
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Well done with the Swallowtail - persistence paid off!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'd still settle for that even if it was frustrating Bugboy, it's been that kind of season :roll: :? Still we can only hope that next year won't be the same :? :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

ThanksTrevor, he did have a bit of wear on him but certainly not on his last legs.
Thanks Neil, Yes I saw lots of photos from Hickling but a good few mentioned Strumpshaw as well.
Thanks Katrina
Thanks Wurzel, I’ll just be happy with a better less rain/day off ratio next year

June 2024

Thursday 27th. In between my last visit to Chiddingfold and today, Emperor season had well and truly started, with an impressive ab. turning up too. Unfortunately, that particular butterfly was a no show on my visit today (it had probably had all the nutrients it needed judging by the amount of dried shrimp on the ground from previous days baiting!) I did still have a good day though with enough lengthy groundings to keep me satisfied.

There was already an audience in attendance when I arrived including a couple of familiar faces (Millerd & Trevor) and one Emperor was sat in a tree, presumably waiting until everyone had arrived before descending to show off his grandeur.
IMG_0016.JPG
Dave and I got itchy feet waiting for a landing so we wandered off, not finding anything of interest, but upon returning we noticed some excitement up ahead from the other more patient folk. He was in no hurry to go anywhere so I was able to get up close and personal, although the subtle stench of 3 day old bait was something I could have done without!
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG
It was quite warm and the few clouds that drifted over didn’t do much to cool him down but my shadow for 10 minutes did the trick and we were finally treated to his full regalia.
IMG_0116.JPG
IMG_0147.JPG
The second grounding I was treated to was in the afternoon when a male had found a particularly large pile of…
IMG_0181.JPG
IMG_0186.JPG
IMG_0194.JPG
IMG_0268.JPG
I had him for over an hour, during which time he periodically went up into the trees but he always came down for more and he was still hanging around in nearby trees when I left.
IMG_0301.JPG
The cover of next years butterfly calendar!
The cover of next years butterfly calendar!
IMG_0397.JPG
IMG_0432.JPG
IMG_0457.JPG
A satisfying, if somewhat smelly day!
millerd

Post by millerd »

I remember that day! :) A shame I had to leave early and miss the sight of the Greater Purple Dung Beetle in action... :mrgreen: :)

A splendid set of shots.

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

I'm going to rub this in a bit. This is what you missed the day before! :lol:
Attachments
P1440873.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”