Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by bugboy »

Thank you Neil :)

11th August, Aldbury Nowers

Well today I went after Brown Hairstreaks again and despite coming home with just over 60 pictures as opposed to the usual 200 – 300, some of them shall remind me of one of this year’s more special butterflying moments, but more of that in the next post.

Yesterday afternoon I went up to the nature reserve near Tring. It was mostly muggy, bright but cloudy weather but still warm enough to keep everything active. There were still a few tired looking Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers around, this female a mere ghost of her former self!
IMG_4831.JPG

There were also a lot of Green-veined white, all too active for photos but it was the Lycids that ruled the roost. First to show off for my pleasure was a lovely male Small Copper.
IMG_4766.JPG
IMG_4771.JPG
The new generation of Small Heaths are also emerging, this one eyeing up my every move as I took his photo!
IMG_4774.JPG
In the chalk meadow half of the reserve a few Chalkhills were fluttering around and both Brown Argus and Common Blues were present in good numbers, both probably into double figures.
IMG_4782.JPG
IMG_4786.JPG
IMG_4789.JPG
There were quite a few patches of this white flowered Wild Marjoram around.
There were quite a few patches of this white flowered Wild Marjoram around.
IMG_4840.JPG
Another couple of Small Coppers showed up, both gorgeous ladies!
IMG_4843.JPG
IMG_4808.JPG
Everything was obsessed with feeding from the Wild Marjoram and it was difficult to decide what to concentrate on, particularly with everything disturbing everything else.....that was until this little lady crawled up from the lower stems!
IMG_4814.JPG
IMG_4824.JPG
IMG_4826.JPG
I really wasn’t expecting to find a White-letter Hairstreak to turn up so late in the season. She was very compliant and wasn’t bothered about my presence at all and I spent some time watching her clamber from flower head to flower head.

After getting my fill I wandered through the wood to the steep chalk scrapes at the other end of the reserve. Here Brown Argus and Common Blue numbers were uncountable, they were all very active but I would hazard a guess at 30 – 40 of each.
IMG_4884.JPG
IMG_4882.JPG
They were joined by several fresh Peacock, an occasional Comma and a couple of Brimstone. There were also some more Small Coppers and a couple of Essex Skippers
IMG_4858.JPG
IMG_4865.JPG
IMG_4898.JPG
IMG_4919.JPG
IMG_4871.JPG
Some of the female Common Blues were particularly lovely
IMG_4911.JPG
IMG_4915.JPG
With this particular female seeming to be missing her diagnostic spot on her underside forewing.
IMG_4892.JPG
IMG_4893.JPG
It was interesting to see that although virtually every species seen was pretty much obsessed with Marjoram flowers, the Brimstone never went near it and instead were obsessed with the Wild Basil
IMG_4868.JPG
Also seen were a couple of male Small Blues having a tussle but one last surprise awaited me as I was just about to leave the scrapes, a beautiful fresh male Common Blue with some very (Lysandra)-esqu hindwing spotting, something I’ve never seen in the flesh, absolutely stunning!
IMG_4940.JPG
A fine end to a fabulous afternoon :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

A very productive day out bugboy, lovely shots :) especially the White-letter Hairstreak and the final Male Common Blue :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Each butterfly species has its own nectar preferences. Today I saw Peacocks and Red Admirals galore on buddleia, but the Commas that were about remained steadfastly adhered to the few bramble blooms that were still in flower.

Give it a couple of weeks though, when the bramble has gone over, Commas will be joining the other vanessids on the buddleia and after that, every species going will gorge itself on ivy flowers.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote:Each butterfly species has its own nectar preferences. Today I saw Peacocks and Red Admirals galore on buddleia, but the Commas that were about remained steadfastly adhered to the few bramble blooms that were still in flower.

Give it a couple of weeks though, when the bramble has gone over, Commas will be joining the other vanessids on the buddleia and after that, every species going will gorge itself on ivy flowers.
Indeed, often due to the length of the proboscis compaired to the depth the nectaries are located in the flower. I've also noted how Brimstones seem to always be seen feeding side on as opposed to sitting ontop/upright. When feeding on thistles they nearly always feed on a side flower thats drooping rather than one thats erect. Maybe thats why they prefered Basil to Marjoram?

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks for the comment guys, it was extremely productive Maximus but the next days trumps itas far as being memorable is concerned.....

12th August, Brown Hairstreak hunt take 2!

Today was my last chance for a week to try and get a peek at a Brown Hairstreak so it was off to Bookham Commons again. The weather was decidedly iffy, the south east currently having a rather flirtatious relationship with what is technically known as a ‘wobbly front’, but things looked to be brightening up by mid morning and I got to the site just after midday. It didn’t take long to see a fresh female brown butterfly with a flash of orange on her forewing.....just not the species I was after. Still she did look particularly beautiful and was happy to sit for me.
IMG_4947.JPG
There were a few more faded meadow Browns and Gatekeepers around as expected and still a couple of Small Skippers but numbers were lower than my last visit.
IMG_4950.JPG
The clouds were thickening again after some sunny weather on the train journey and I was beginning to think I got the timing wrong when suddenly flying along the hedge towards me fluttered a rather large dark looking Lycid. Definitely Lycid by its flight and by its size it couldn’t be anything other than my target for the day. It flew past me about 7 feet high and then cut across behind me, dipping down as it approached the opposite hedge, but the dip was a false alarm, it suddenly flew up and over the hedge and out of site and it was gone. Still it was a sighting and good to know they were active in this weather.

I moved on towards where I had been reliably informed they are regularly seen, close to some mature Ash trees. Here I prowled slowly around, kicking myself for forgetting my bins, my senses focused on that illusive little butterfly. A few Gatekeepers tormenting me when I caught a sight in my peripheral of something fluttering low down behind me. Looking down I saw a chocolate brown wing with a flash of bright orange peeking out from behind a leaf, and this time there was no eye spot! Unlike last year I didn’t forget I had a camera and quickly took a run of shots just in case this was all I was going to see of one.
IMG_4957.JPG
Once happy I slowly stalked around, taking a picture with every step as more of her was revealed. I don’t think I have ever stalked a butterfly so carefully! I needn’t have worried though, even when I did disturb her she merely fluttered onto a nearby leaf.
IMG_4964.JPG
IMG_4966.JPG
Brown hairstreak my a***! If I could name it, it would be called the Flame Hairstreak!
Brown hairstreak my a***! If I could name it, it would be called the Flame Hairstreak!
IMG_4973.JPG
IMG_4977.JPG
IMG_4979.JPG
You couldn't wipe the grin off my face after that!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have a feeling I was witnessing her maiden flight, she didn’t seem to be a very strong flyer at all. I had her for nearly 10 minutes before she gained enough confidence (well energy) to fly off over a hedge and she was gone. But what a 10 minutes it was, it will go down as one of my most memorable butterflying experiences, such a gorgeous looking insect. I know I saw one last year but that was almost certainly an unofficial release so as far as I’m concerned THIS experience is my lifer for the Brown Hairstreak.

I spent some time here, trying to track her down again or find another one but nothing else showed itself to me so I decided to check on my White Admiral larvae.....

Well it’s all been happening since my last visit, Brians leaf was hanging by a thread and there was no sign of him, Sids leaf was in an equally sorry state and there were 2 cats on Shiftys leaf. I suspect the interloper was Sid since he and Shifty were on the same stalk whereas Brian was on another stalk.
IMG_4983.JPG
IMG_4982.JPG
Looking around I then quickly found another 4 I hadn’t seen in my previous visits despite much searching. Not sure I will be able to keep track of all these so have yet to name them.
IMG_4987.JPG
IMG_4992.JPG
IMG_4994.JPG
IMG_4995.JPG
Looking closely Shiftys leaf there seems to be a second stripped rib that had bent back on itself so it would seem these two had been sharing this leaf quite amicably for a few days.
IMG_4990 - Copy.JPG
As I watched the one on the centre started moving towards the one at the tip and the one at the tip seemed to become quite agitated upon its arrival,in fact even before it arrived it had turned round to face the intruder. Once nose to nose the one on the tip jerked its head from side to side in that typical agitated caterpillar style and after a minute or so the intruder turned tail and went back to sit on the leaf.
IMG_5006.JPG
IMG_5007.JPG
IMG_5008.JPG
IMG_5009.JPG
IMG_5010.JPG
IMG_5011.JPG
They never actually touched but at their closest they were only 2 or 3 mm apart. I wonder whether Sid ousted Shifty when he moved leaves since on my last visit, out of the 3, he was the only one to have moulted to 2nd instar and what I saw was Shifty trying to get back to his spot? We shall probably never know...
Here's a rubbish context picture from my phone of what seems to be prime White Admiral real estate, much dingier than it looks, my phone got over excited and massivley over exposed!
20150812_142445.jpg
So A brown Hairstreak lifer, and an absolute stunner of an individual at that, and some very interesting White Admiral behaviour, another great afternoon!

David M

Post by David M »

That's almost the perfect day, Bugboy.

You must feel 10 feet tall after that!!?

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote:That's almost the perfect day, Bugboy.

You must feel 10 feet tall after that!!?
I'm still smiling about it. Writing it up brought it all back :D fabulous day!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

What a great experience Buggy. Very interesting account of the WA larva and if I was in your shoes I, too, would still be smiling after such a close encounter with the BH. It can be a very illusive butterfly but you have captured it in some lovely poses :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . From what I have heard/read I don't think many folk are getting that lucky this year. Well done :D :D

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

What chance to be there at the moment the white admiral cats encountered each other! It's a very interesting encounter, as it seems to suggest there is no active avoidance of another caterpillar - just defensive confrontation. As I mentioned in my diary, I have found two living apparently happily on the same leaf, each with its own full platform, and evidence of a third.

My experience is that there is great loss at this time of year, including of caterpillars on isolated leaf sprays - so it is difficult to attribute a particular disappearance to a particular cause. We have had several thunderstorms, which probably doesn't help. I would say roughly 50% of white admiral platforms are now unoccupied in my woods. I'd be interested to know if the rate of loss is similar in yours.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Your very lucky buggy, I'd be over the moon to see a White Lettered Hair Streak, you've done that and taken great pic's of the Brown HS as well as the White :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :lol:

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thank you for the comments everyone, it was a very memorable day filled with lots of luck and being in the right place at the right time :)
My experience is that there is great loss at this time of year, including of caterpillars on isolated leaf sprays - so it is difficult to attribute a particular disappearance to a particular cause. We have had several thunderstorms, which probably doesn't help. I would say roughly 50% of white admiral platforms are now unoccupied in my woods. I'd be interested to know if the rate of loss is similar in yours.
I am going to try and keep track of these but I won't be able to check on them as often as you can yours Guy. We've had some heavy rain here in the past couple of days as well so like you it will be impossible to attribute any disapperances to any cause unless I witness something first hand.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Well after taking a bit of a tumble at work, I missed a step and broke my fall with my shin of one leg and thigh of my other, I ended up taking the weekend off work since I could barely walk on Friday. Yesterday I was housebound but today I was significantly more mobile and risked a slow wander sporting a couple of impressive bruises! I could have stayed local but I'm addicted to Brown Hairstreaks now so I hobbled off to Bookham again. It was a gloriously sunny morning but sunday public transport being what it is by the time I arrived it was early afternoon and the clouds had decended. Sadly no Brown Hairstreaks today...well I did see A Hairstreak but it settled high up and at such an angle to make it impossible to confirm what colour it was :x
Spot the Hairstreak!
Spot the Hairstreak!
I did find a lovely fresh male Speckled Wood
IMG_5055.JPG
But there wasn't much else on the wing, a few Whites, Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers plus some Common Blues, Small Coppers and Holly Blues.
IMG_5040.JPG
IMG_5056.JPG
IMG_5065.JPG
IMG_5061.JPG
I decided to see what was going on in White Admiral towers:

The two that were sharing a leaf 4 days ago were now on seperate leaves.
IMG_5071.JPG
IMG_5072.JPG
One of the newbies from my last visit had vanished and I found another new one who was having issues with the normal White Admiral style of living.
IMG_5070.JPG
It's possible he's taken over a leaf thats previously been eaten by something else so he has no mid rib to work with and is just making do with whats left.

This one has also deserted his original leaf and moved higher up in the world!
IMG_5067.JPG
If my maths are correct (which is questionable!) then I have so far recorded 8 individuals from this one patch of honeysuckle, of which 5 are still known to be alive.

There were still a few female Silver Washed Frits flying around and I saw one settle high up on a moss covered Oak bough and as far as I could tell she was ovipositing. I didn't realise they laid eggs at such a height, she was a good 12-15 feet of the ground! I only managed one very poor picture but I'm sure you can see her curling her abdomen to lay.
IMG_5076.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Just catching up, Buggy. Those Brown Hairstreaks are terrific - such a glorious butterfly. :mrgreen: I haven't had the chance to get out to see any - yet... And the one in the tree looks a bit Purple to me. I'm used to seeing them from a large distance and at that angle! :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely maiden Brostreak Buggy :D I'd second Dave's judge as a Purple Hairstreak :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Bugboy,
For me there are two main ' moments ' in the Butterfly year. First the ' Purple ' one then the ' Brownie '.
I think it has to do with building anticipation whilst patiently waiting for that magic appearance.
Most species are fairly easy to find if you are in the right place/ right time, but not the Brownie.
I fully share your excitement of that ' lifer ' moment, it came across in spades in your report. :D

All the best,
TREVOR.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Bugboy, a great series of Brown Hairstreak photos, lovely images of a beautiful butterfly and your excitement at finding her is well descibed in your report :D

Cheers,

Neil.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thank you for all the comments, it really was quite exciting, I had to concentrate to stop my hands from shaking :oops:

19th August, Hairstreak Heaven!

I've been itching to get back to Bookham Commons again to see if I can add to my Brown Hairstreak encounters this year and have avidly been keeping an eye on the forecast. Sunny morning and overcast/rainy afternoon, I’ll take that!

I arrived at Bookham at 9 with hazy sun to greet me. A slight autumnal nip in the air but I could feel the site warming up in the sheltered paths. I saw nothing for quite a while as I headed for the place I saw my lifer last week and when I got there I found a couple of Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns having breakfast. I'd remembered my binoculars this time and scanned to Ash’s for any sign of life.....nothing, maybe a little early. I did see something large and dull orange feeding on the mint, a female Silver Washed Fritillary who was in no hurry to escape me, just fluttering here and there in a very lazy fashion.
IMG_5093.JPG
IMG_5096.JPG
I spent an hour searching the vicinity periodically scanning the Ash. Eventually I saw something small fluttered to a lower bough but it turned out to be a Purple Hairstreak doing pirouettes on the leaf. Shortly after I disturbed a small butterfly that had been feeding on the mint, it didn't fly far and settled within easy reach on some Blackthorn, a Purple Hairstreak trying to do an impression of a Brownie again, quite likely the same one I'd already seen. Still I wasn't going to say no to a Hairstreak if she sat in front of me and basked for my pleasure. I spent some 10 minutes with her and she even let me remove a few leaves so I could get clear shots from various angles. If only they were so willing earlier in their short lives :roll:
IMG_5107.JPG
IMG_5109.JPG
IMG_5118.JPG
IMG_5122.JPG
IMG_5130.JPG
Still no Brownies though so I decided to wander further afield. The mint seemed to be the flower of choice this morning, I spent some time with a fresh male Specklie breakfasting on the stuff and I came across a trio of male Common Blues enjoying the morning sunshine and having the occasional tussle.
IMG_5141.JPG
IMG_5144.JPG
IMG_5147.JPG
Returning back to my original spot I stood and gave the Ash’s another scan but still no sign. Lowering my bins I went to walk on when there right in front of me feeding on a thistle was the reason I left the flat this morning, almost exactly in the same spot as last week, another pristine female. Like last week she didn't fly far when disturbed and this time I was able to get some shots of her glowing in the sun. I followed her as she fluttered from leaf to leaf until eventually I disturbed her once too many times and she vanished round the corner of a hedge. Another day where my grin was ear to ear, two Hairstreak close encounters! :D :D :D
IMG_5152.JPG
IMG_5157.JPG
IMG_5165.JPG
IMG_5170.JPG
IMG_5180.JPG
IMG_5188.JPG
IMG_5196.JPG
IMG_5198.JPG
I love the little stripey socks they wear :) !

Of course no trip to Bookham is complete without a visit to white admiral towers at the moment and I'm pleased to report all 5 of my little charges are doing well. Sid and shifty are still on their leaves.
IMG_5202.JPG

Lofty , as I’ve named him, is sitting highest, just above (my) head height.
IMG_5203.JPG
Cyril slightly lower
IMG_5204.JPG
and down low, about a foot from the ground is Brian II.
IMG_5205.JPG
Fingers crossed naming them all isn't the kiss of death!

trevor

Post by trevor »

H I Bugboy,
Congrats. on your Brown Hairstreaks. The image of the female with wings fully open in your earlier
post is exactly what we're all after :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . I also think you have found some late BHS
ie. newly emerged. They could be in transition from pupae to an Ash tree to join the males.
You'll have to be quicker when they come down to lay eggs, as they very often start walking down
the stem of Blackthorn as soon as they land. Anyway, thanks for the Bird ID.I was in the company
of some Butterfly professionals who are obviously not ornothologists ( including me!).

Best wishes,
TREVOR.

David M

Post by David M »

Eureka!!

That's an exceptional day when you can claim both Brown Hairstreak and open winged Purple Hairstreak!

Your persistence has clearly paid well earned dividends!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You're having some cracking luck with the Hairstreaks Buggy :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”