Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Goldie M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:42 pm...Hope you'd a good time in France David , you won't belong getting shots of the Gate Keepers they seem to be every where...
Thanks, Goldie. You were right. There were several dozen Gatekeepers when I finally managed to get out the other day. Always nice to see them.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi Wurzel and David, thanks for your posts, I went to East Blean Woods today and it was gloomy most of the day, of course the forecast was for Sunshine which we saw for about a couple of hours , at least it was warm :roll:

I don't know what's going wrong in those Woods but this time last year the White Admirals were numerous also the Silver Washed Fritillary, ( although they stayed in the bushes most of the time I still managed a few shots of them) today , nothing, the only species flying were the Gate Keepers, Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Red Admirals, Peacock. it sounds a lot, but I noted from other posts that they should be out now, I was very disappointed :( I suppose we have to take the good with the bad but just lately I seem to have missed quite a few. :roll:

When I got back to the Garden , Peacocks were on my Butterfly Bush, also Red Admirals, they come everyday now, also a little Robin comes every day ,when I open the door and go into the Garden he's there beside me, today his beak seemed full of some thing so I took some shots of him, I hope he's okay he seems very thin for a Robin, I've tried to feed him Meal worms so I'll see how he eats them, hope the weather picks up and your both having better luck than I am with the Butterflies :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_9044.JPG
IMG_9042.JPG
IMG_9037.JPG
IMG_9031.JPG
IMG_9067.JPG
IMG_9066.JPG
IMG_9064.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking looking Gatekeeper Goldie :D Do they coppice the Woods there? If they do perhaps the butterflies are hanging around in the new clearings as that's where the most nectar will be? Either that or they could just be having a lie-in - it's tiring work scything through the air all day :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

I can't explain the absence of White Admirals and Silver Washed Fritillaries, Goldie. There were a few of both on 17th when I checked into Fermyn Wood in Northants.

Good that you've got your garden to fall back on. There's always plenty going on in there. :)
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, yes they do coppice the woods, East Blean Woods this year as had a load of Trees cut down , notices at the entrance warning of this, trouble is they've left the place in a mess ,where they was two car parking areas now there's just one the other is full of rubbish from the trees, people have dumped rubbish there as well, no telling what you'll find when you get there, plus there's a charge now of two pounds for parking, I just hope if there's a camera some where it's caught the dumping :roll:
There was loads of Gate Keepers , I'll be going back there ,hope fully the weather will settle down, it's been a funny year weather wise up to now I'm just hoping the Admirals will be out when I go back.

Hi! David, Your right about the Garden, I can't got wrong there :D Yesterday I counted 5 Peacocks and 5 or 6 Red Admirals in the Butterfly bushes and has I write now I can see in-spite of the cloudiness there still coming :D I've also taken shots of a Gate Keepers ,loads of Whites and a Comma, I'm hoping other species will arrive :D

I'll just put a few shots in my posts of the Butterflies I've taken in the Garden :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_9118.JPG
IMG_9095.JPG
IMG_9091.JPG
IMG_9087.JPG
IMG_9075.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

How many different species have you had in your garden this year, Goldie?
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see the Gatekeeper ab.excessa Goldie 8) They've been a bit commoner this year - might have been the heat that we had earlier in the season :D Oh for a bit of that now :shock: It'll be dodging showers for me for the next fortnight :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some nice photos from your garden Goldie, looks like you are settling in nicely down there :D

Cheers,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, so far this year I've had ten different species in the Garden, the Holly Blues have been coming everyday when the weathers good, the Red Admirals, Peacocks love the Butterfly Bush, ( I say bush but it's nearly tree size now) I'm just hoping come the better weather I'll see more I've planted Sweet Peas which should come back every year, with being planted from seed they're growing but won't do much this year. Fingers crossed for next year :D

Hi! Wurzel, every time I've been out lately the dark clouds have arrived then the rain
I think that's why I'm seeing so many Butterflies in the Garden, they fly then land on the bush to get their breath back :D The Sun has been out in-between , yesterday was so windy I don't know how they managed to keep on the Tree. :D

Hi! Neil, yes i'm settling in okay, it's good to be so near my Daughter also I've got good Neighbours , the man next door has a lovely garden and in September he's going to give me some white daises ( Marguerites ) For the Garden, so far I've had Peonies,
Lilies, and lovely Yellow Iris, plus I've put plants in my -self all these things help you to settle, I've had loads to do to the Bungalow which as taken time, but I'm getting there :D

Yesterday I saw a few more Butterflies , all seemed to be slightly worn but at least they were flying in-spite of the weather. Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_9147.JPG
IMG_9143.JPG
IMG_9139.JPG
IMG_9134.jpeg
IMG_9132.jpeg
IMG_9131.jpeg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Keep an eye on your Sweet Peas Goldie, Long-tailed Blues have appeared in recent days in Kent (well 1 that I know of, near Kingsdown). They may not be fruiting this year but the smell would be enough to attract a passing one to stop by to investigate.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely set of shots Goldie - that Peacock is lush, so much nicer than when we see them in the Spring :D Mind you the Spring ones have the advantage of a seriously butterfly deprived audience :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Bugboy, I planted the Sweet Peas hoping I might see a long tailed Blue nearer to where I live :D They've been seen at Reculver before now which is only 10 mins away from where I live , I'm keeping my eyes on a Neighbour as well because he's Sweet Peas are lovely now and full of flowers, ( you never Know ) fingers crossed :D :D

Hi! Wurzel, today the Butterflies were wild :D I've never seen so many together before, the Buddleia was full of them. :D
I set off this morning for East Blean Woods hoping by going early I'd see some thing, nothing , once again, I'll try Blean Woods next in Blean Village.

The sky went very dark so I dashed back home thinking my washing would be wet, it didn't rain :D It was cloudy at times but that didn't stop the Butterflies , they were darting close to me, I'd to dodge one or two :D Any way although I've posted some before I couldn't miss out on today :D

I found a Holly Blue on flowers I didn't even know they liked, in the edge of the garden in some shade, any way they made my day I'd been disappointed at not finding the WA , roll on the next fine day :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_9173.JPG
IMG_9163.JPG
IMG_9181.JPG
IMG_9239.JPG
IMG_9229.JPG
IMG_9199.JPG
IMG_9150.jpeg
IMG_9166.jpeg
IMG_9248.jpeg
IMG_9213.jpeg
IMG_9212.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see the garden remaining productive Goldie, especially with the two-fer shots :D 8)
" roll on the next fine day" that seems to be the phrase on every butterfly watchers lips at the moment :? Still the butterflies will be ready when the weather does turn :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That garden of yours is certainly producing the goods, Goldie. Quite a bit around on my local buddleias here too. I wonder if anyone can get four (or even all five) of the vanessids in a single image? :)
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, It's not rained today so far but in the Garden I looked closely into the Ivy and the Red Admiral was in there also the Gate Keeper the only one flying was the Holly Blue but they were in and out of the Ivy very quick and back in to the bushes :D
It was so Windy at times today, hope fully tomorrow will give us a bit of Sun. :D

Hi! David, I love to see different species Of Butterfly together on one flower it's just taking shots of them that's the problem :D If I ever get four or five together I'll certainly post the shot :lol: Seeing the ones like the White Admiral would make me happy these days, I'll go to Blean Village has soon as we get some Sun, :D Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I bought a plant a while ago, I've forgotten how to spell it's name (it begins with R ) :D any way, today it was raining a lot so we went shopping , when I got back the Sun was shining and the Butterflies were out once more in the Garden, I think the Gate Keepers were out in force today, also the Large White , I was pleased when I found the Gate Keepers on the plant I'd bought, I used to have it in My Garden before I moved and the Butterflies always liked it , hope fully others will be interested as well :D

I've also got flowers coming out by the side of the pond , I've put a photo in of one , they look really nice and there's lots of them, I've not seen them before so if any one knows what they're called I'd be pleased to know :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_9314.JPG
IMG_9311.JPG
IMG_9291.JPG
IMG_9281.JPG
IMG_9309.JPG
IMG_9307.JPG
IMG_9321.JPG
IMG_9320.JPG
IMG_9295.JPG
IMG_9270.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Goldie :D That first one had be doing a double take as it looked like it had three pupils at first :shock: until I zoomed in and could see that it was the two 'eye's from each wing that I was looking at. :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I thought that to Wurzel :lol: It looks like today the weather was wrong again, it was here any way :roll:

It was sunny and warm cloudy at times but no rain so far today, I decided to go to Blean Woods in Blean Village, I'm really glad I did :D has I was walking along the path there this White Admiral landed on a fern near me, I was so surprised I left my lens cover on at first :lol:

It was a bit faded but who care's I'd finally seen a WA :D I was lucky really , I realised it had landed because it went cloudy, I'll never call the clouds again :lol:

Has soon as the Sun came out off it flew , but not so far I couldn't still get a shot, on one of the photos it seems to be posing for me :lol:

I also saw a Silver Washed Fritillary it just flew by it didn't land, that also was a surprise because I'd never seen one there before I always thought they were only at East Blean, needless to say I'll be going back there looking for it :D Goldie :D
Attachments
White Admiral 29th July 2023 (4).jpeg
White Admiral 29th July 2023.jpeg
White Admiral 29th July 2023 (3).jpeg
White Admiral 29th July 2023 (1).jpeg
White Admiral 29th July 2023.jpeg
IMG_9385.JPG
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Goldie ,
I think your mystery plant is Phlox . Allan.W.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Allan, it looks really nice and it's spreads too, can't say it's attracted many Butterflies yet though :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”