Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Big Bugs

Here are a few more delights from the natural world, encountered over the last few weeks.

The Hornet Robberfly does seem to be on the increase, at least in Sussex. I've seen more over the last two summers than my previous lifetime total. However, this was only the second pair I've witnessed in cop, photographed below Firle Beacon 26 August.

Second up is the huge Great Green Bush-cricket, which I found at Lewes Golf Course on 31 August. This was an interesting day, counting butterflies while dodging golf balls.

I also see more of the Wasp Spider than I used to. This large female was one of many I found while performing a butterfly survey on 6 September, on land not far from Knepp. However, the highlight was five female Brown Hairstreak, including some in excellent condition.

I would like to thank Colin and Sue Knight for the last beauty. They live on the seafront at Littlehampton, where their balcony is first port of call for many migrant moths. I gladly accepted their invitation to visit on the morning of 6 September, to fulfill a lifetime ambition of mine; I have wanted to see the mighty Clifden Nonpareil since childhood. It dwarfed the Red Underwing that was also waiting for me in a pot, but I only had eyes for the Big Blue One.
UKB Hornet Robberfly mating pair, Firle Beacon 26.8.21.jpg
UKB Great Green Bush-cricket, Lewes Golf Course.jpg
UKB Wasp Spider, Danhill 6.9.21.jpg
UKB Clifden Nonpareil (1) Littlehampton 6.9.21.jpg
UKB Clifden Nonpareil (2) Littlehampton 6.9.21.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Getting on the Clifden Nonpareil bandwagon too I see :mrgreen: , they seem to be popping up all over social media at the moment. It's a bandwagon I'd live to jump on though, like you they've been on my bucket list since a very young age. Like many of these creatures we marvel at, I'm sure their true magnificence can only be truly appreciated in the flesh :mrgreen:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

I hope you get to see one soon, Paul. They are clearly gaining a firm foothold and breeding in Aspen-rich areas of the South, with numbers supplemented by influxes of migrants.
BWs, Neil
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Neil Hulme wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:17 am ...They are clearly gaining a firm foothold and breeding in Aspen-rich areas of the South...
Also in the midlands. Numerous records in the past couple of years in Warwickshire with multiples turning up on some nights in some woodlands. Also appearing in many garden traps (but not mine yet) up here.
I have also see a few recent records from up in Yorkshire.

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Brownie Bonanza

Female Brown Hairstreak numbers peaked in Sussex last week, with these often elusive butterflies suddenly becoming much easier to locate. As in most years, the hordes of hairstreak-hunters had disappeared, leaving even popular sites such as Steyning Rifle Range very quiet. Although I enjoy the social side of butterflying, this does mean that there isn't a mad scramble when one is located! On the other hand, when working alone, I'm always aware that just a single pair of eyes will mean that others are inevitably missed.

At this time of year, many of the females are showing signs of wear and tear, but patience usually pays off with one or two examples in perfect condition. This is unsurprising, given that they will still be flying in early October.

On 3 September, I located eight different females at Steyning, all between midday and 2.15 pm. While monitoring butterflies on a private site near Knepp, on 6 September, I saw five females along just one of the many Blackthorn-rich hedgerows there, over an almost identical time window. This late glut of Brown Hairstreak always signals that the back-end of the butterfly season is upon us, but there will hopefully be a grand finale of Small Copper, Wall and perhaps Clouded Yellow still to enjoy.
UKB Brown Hairstreak (1) Steyning 3.9.21.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak (2) Steyning 3.9.21.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak (3) Steyning 3.9.21.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak (4) Steyning 3.9.21.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak (2) Danhill 6.9.21.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak (1) Danhill 6.9.21.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Neil. It does look like they're on the move, and at speed. Hopefully coming to your garden soon!
BWs, Neil
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Pleased that you got your Clifden Nonpareil Neil , Its been on my "life " list since .............well ,as long as i can remember really ,they,ve been turning up regularly locally over the past few years especially in the Orlestone forest area ,which was a known traditional site in the bad old collecting days ,i,m persevering with my trap (when i get it mended !) never know ,i could get lucky ,after all a few years back a Jersey Tiger was a real rarity ( as was Small Ranunculus , Toadflax Brocade ) but they,re now turning up ,in numbers ,just about everywhere ,anyway pleased you cracked it :D
Regards Allan.W. Brilliant Brown Hairstreaks by the way.!
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Beautiful photos and 8 in just over 2 hours is a great tally.
trevor

Post by trevor »

I'm with Katrina on that one, remarkable!.
I would add the Blue Jewel to your late list, they have been superb recently.

Keep well,
Trevor.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Allan. I'm sure it won't be too long before you get one. I'd get that trap mended ASAP!

Thanks, Katrina and Trevor. I'll be back there (Rifle Range) for a couple of hours on Saturday morning if the sun shines. Yes, Trevor, second brood Adonis has been surprisingly good after such a poor spring flight.

BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Anchor Bottom

Unfortunately, work prevented me from getting to Anchor Bottom before early September, as reports of a large second brood of Adonis Blue started to filter through in late August. A friend, Jonathan Crawford, does a regular count here, with a maximum tally of 3350 (just) males registering on his 'clicker' on 29 August.

This fits well with my conservative estimate of 5000+ for the site (both sexes) on 3 September, although I suspect the true number was well in excess of this figure. I was particularly pleased to see that, after several years of campaigning, the grazing pressure has been reduced. Although the sward over the south-facing slope remains very short and parched, the slightly cooler north-facing slope is now in much better condition and carpeted with flowers. This is the only north-facing chalk grassland slope I know of which looks and behaves like a south-facing slope, due to the intensity of year-round grazing for some years now; yes, regular grazing of this habitat type is essential, but there are limits!

As always at this time of year, the small but beautiful Autumn Lady's-tresses are super-abundant here.
UKB Adonis Blue (male) Anchor Bottom 3.9.21.jpg
UKB Adonis Blue (female) Anchor Bottom 3.9.21.jpg
UKB Autumn Lady's-tresses, Anchor Bottom 3.9.21.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Not often that Brown Hairstreaks are eclipsed by other finds, Neil, but I can fully understand your excitement over the Clifden Nonpareil.

That's something of a mythical beast for me and hopefully one day I'll see it in the flesh.

Phenomenal numbers of Adonis Blues in that count. All we need now are a few Long-Tailed. :)
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Neil ,
Not a butterfly post ,but i thought you may be interested . Owen Leyshon (Romney marsh project manager ) photographed around 40 !) White Storks
over Greatstone (Kent )heading towards Dungeness ,yesterday ,late afternoon ,apparently a White Stork project is asking anyone who sights any flybye
White Storks (probably Juveniles ?) to send in a record .......................Knepp didn,t have that many did it ?
Regards Allan.W.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi David
I've only heard of about half-a-dozen LTB this summer, so I suspect it will prove to be a modest year for them. I don't expect any late season fireworks, but would love to be proved wrong. I'm unaware of any evidence for a strong movement through northern Europe this time around.

Hi Allan
Knepp may indeed be the source of that group! Each year (2019 - 2023), we are receiving captive-bred youngsters from the Cotswold Wildlife Park, to add to the mix already at Knepp. This year, we took 27, which when added to the 14 that fledged from the seven Wildland nests, makes 41! Shortly before heading off on their long journey, I counted 40 on a thermal above Knepp; quite a sight.
In reference to your exchange with zigzag_wanderer, Wolstonbury Hill is best known for its population of Man Orchid (one of only two sites I'm aware of in Sussex). Greater Butterfly and Fly are the best of the rest.

BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

September Blues

Little to report of late, despite finally having a slightly quieter period at work. This is largely due to the seemingly endless pattern of over-promised weather. Day after day, week after week, the forecast sunny spells prove non-existent, at least before too late in the day.

The only image currently in my backlog is this pair of Common Blue, photographed on one of my Knepp Wildland safaris on 5 September. Let's hope that late September provides something better.
UKB Common Blue pair 5.9.21 Knepp.jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks for that Neil ! If you want to see a bit more Re; Storks ,if you get a minute take a look at "PLOVERS BLOG " a brilliant
blog from Romney marsh.......by Paul Trodd ,theres a few pictures and a bit more info . Thanks for the Wolstonbury info as well !
Regards Allan.W.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Allan. I hope the White Storks make it across the water safely. Nice blog.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Steyning Downland Scheme

Another visit to Steyning Downland Scheme on 15 September produced eight female Brown Hairstreak (now showing their age) and three Clouded Yellow. If the cattle are excluded next spring/summer, as currently planned, the site should be firing on all cylinders again for Brown Hairstreak.
UKB Brown Hairstreak, SDS (2) 15.9.21.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak, SDS (1) 15.9.21.jpg
UKB Clouded Yellow, SDS 15.9.21.jpg
trevor

Post by trevor »

I was also very impressed with the amount of Creeping Thistle outside of the fenced area at Steyning.
If this thrives we might see males come down next year, a rare sight at Steyning.
Certainly males find Thistles very attractive at Shipton Bellinger.

Good to see your Clouded Yellow.

Stay well,
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:56 pmI've only heard of about half-a-dozen LTB this summer, so I suspect it will prove to be a modest year for them. I don't expect any late season fireworks, but would love to be proved wrong. I'm unaware of any evidence for a strong movement through northern Europe this time around.
Thanks, Neil. I guess we've been spoiled most years lately so an autumn with only a sprinkling rather than a deluge should be taken in context.

Nice to see some mid-September betulae (even better with accompanying Clouded Yellows). I hope Steyning responds as you anticipate next year.

Return to “Personal Diaries”