millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: millerd

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of images Dave - especially those back lit Cloudies - cracking they are :D 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Love the final shot of the two in flight - they look like they're flying in formation 8) :D

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Wurzel - nothing like a a bit of luck to enhance the day! :) I also do like a backlit butterfly, and Cloudies have such an intense yellow colour, even when getting a bit worn as these now are that they make a particularly good subject.

The weekend of 17th/18th October was uniformly overcast and not particularly warm - well, it is well and truly autumn now.
autumn.JPG
I went out again on Monday 19th October fearing that the break might have boded badly and despite some sunshine and warmer temperatures I might not see anything.

Better than I had expected: Seven individuals appeared with five species represented. Two male Common Blues...
CB4 191020.JPG
CB2 191020.JPG
CB1 191020.JPG
...a couple of Red Admirals
RA1 191020.JPG
...and a single Small White.
SW2 191020.JPG
Just as predictable I suppose was the appearance again of a certain male Small Copper...
SC1 191020.JPG
SC3 191020.JPG
...and a male Clouded Yellow.
CY1 191020.JPG
In some ways it's not surprising that Common Blues have been doing well, and that there has been a good Clouded Yellow showing this year - large clumps of birds'-foot trefoil have appeared. There is far more around than in previous years - it's a pity there are no Dingy Skippers here to enjoy it too (and scant evidence of any Green Hairstreaks either). Good to see nonetheless.
trefoil.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You did well with those species Dave :mrgreen: I could only muster a Red Admiral today and during any reasonable weather recently I've been working :? Stroll on next season! :shock: :lol:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:26 pm...The unzoomed result amounted to a couple of bright yellow dots, but enlargement revealed that somehow I had caught them both with wings fully open towards me as they had flown past. I'm not sure that such a result could be achieved deliberately - a very happy accident, and despite the lack of detail from such distant and unfocused shot, one that evokes the whole atmosphere of watching Clouded Yellows making the most of the autumn sun.
Agree with that. Lovely image and great that you captured both with wings fully open in flight.

Interesting too is your observation regarding birds' foot trefoil. Maybe it isn't coincidental how there are such good numbers of both Common Blues AND Clouded Yellows this autumn.

Nice to see Small Coppers and Small Whites are still active round your way. Last couple of times I've been out there haven't been any of either, so they look to have packed up for the year near me.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel. It's getting more and more difficult to find anything, and the weather has been a tad uncooperative this week as well. :)

Thank you, David - I was very pleased with that lucky Clouded Yellow shot as getting two males in the same frame is well nigh impossible in the normal course of things. :) The Small Copper I've been seeing is the last one around here, but it seems to be a resilient little thing. I first saw it on 5th October (it wasn't brand new then) - and it was still going strong on 22nd.

On Tuesday 20th October, it was really quite warm (19 degrees), but the weather gods saw to it that a frustrating combination of high and low cloud put paid to almost all the sunshine. All I spotted today was one Small White...
SW1 201020.JPG
...and the same old Small Copper.
SC2 201020.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That Copper is holding up well Dave, although I suppose that's because he's not doing as much fighting at this time of year :roll: :lol: The weather is really sticking it too us over this way at the moment - but with a lot of effort there are still a few butterflies about - don't now how much longer that will continue so I'm looking forward to your future posts as they seem to having a longer season further east :mrgreen: 8)

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Belated congrats for your in flight double cloudie shot Dave :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A shot like that could never be planned, a classic case of right place, right time,
and camera at the ready!. What are the odds of an opportunity like that?.

Trust you've bought a lottery ticket.
Trevor.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave, nothing here at all for over a week or two now , the weather has been miserable cold and wet so it's it's good to see your Butterflies :D Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel - that Copper probably had a sparring partner at the start of the month, and maybe a love interest as well, but seems to have run out of anything to chase now - not even a Common Blue. They do seem capable of living for several weeks though - I followed the life of one individual for over a month back in the spring. :) Luckily their wing patterns are fairly individual, especially if they also acquire an identifiable bit of wing damage early on in their lives, and their highly territorial nature means you can follow them quite closely over a period of time.

Thanks, Trevor! The chance of another shot like that is vanishingly small I would guess, even when there are a few Cloudies around as there have been this autumn. Somehow I doubt the luck would transfer to the lottery... :)

Thank you, Goldie. :) Even down here, the butterflies are becoming few and far between. :( Just a few more to post now and I'm up to date.

Thursday 22nd October. After another grey day on 21st, Sunshine beckoned me out onto my local patch once again. I looked in vain for Clouded Yellows, and suspect that they must have finally succumbed to the far from ideal weather. I decided a similar fate must have befallen the Common Blues, but in the end I did catch a glimpse of a single female scooting low down across the grass.

The Small Copper was holding the fort in its usual locale, concentrating on a particular bit of ragwort that is still flowering well. I think this particular plant has been almost wholly responsible for sustaining this butterfly in recent days.
SC2 221020.JPG
SC6 221020.JPG
SC3 221020.JPG
SC7 221020.JPG
On my way back, I firstly saw a fresh-looking Small White sail across the path and up into the trees, and then a bit further along I found a Speckled Wood sunning itself at a convenient height.
SpW1 221020.JPG
Annoyingly, by concentrating attention on this butterfly, I completely overlooked a Red Admiral which had been on the ground close by (presumably with its wings closed). Disturbed, it also made for the trees and didn't return.

Fortunately, as I reached a reliable clump of ivy, another one of the same species was waiting for me.
RA5 221020.JPG
RA4 221020.JPG
RA3 221020.JPG
So, six butterflies, five species - not too bad really. However, the forecast ahead didn't look good... :(

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The weather hasn't been great recently Dave - I'm lucky if I get a singleton on a visit :( Could be another NBN (Non-butterfly November) this year again :? Mind you your shots cheered me up :D especially the penultimate Copper shot with the dusting of gold scales in view 8)

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

You're spot on with that weather assessment, Wurzel. :( Since the 22nd, there have been no further suitable days to see anything. Sunshine (if there's been any) has been hazy, or accompanied by chilly winds. Warmer days have been cloudy and/or wet. I saw a single Red Admiral pass by on Monday 26th, but nothing else at all. I've checked that enduring Small Copper's patch a few times, but without luck, and clearly the Cloudies have also finally disappeared.

I shall keep looking (as I did this morning), but that may well be it for the year. Still - it's been an interesting one (as they all are in different and usually unexpected ways!). :) I shall attempt an overview at some point - of my local patch at least - and do my best not to duplicate what goes into the "Favourite Photo" threads. That works as a pretty comprehensive retrospective of the season in itself.

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:23 pm ... Could be another NBN (Non-butterfly November) this year again..
Wurzel
Look on the bright side guys...I have had a NBO (Non-butterfly October).

Just seen your double open wing Cloudie shot Dave. Great stuff, definitely one I wish I had taken :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:22 pmThe Small Copper was holding the fort in its usual locale, concentrating on a particular bit of ragwort that is still flowering well. I think this particular plant has been almost wholly responsible for sustaining this butterfly in recent days.
I've grown rather fond of that Small Copper, Dave, and I guess you have too. I hope he'll still be there when the sun and calm return on Tuesday.

Other than that, the Speckled Woods and ivy-nectaring Red Admirals are the very essence of late October, although the Common Blue is a surprise (albeit a pleasant one).
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Neil - as already mentioned, the Cloudy x 2 photo was 99.99% luck! :)

Unfortunately, David, that Small Copper is now long gone. I've looked regularly since that last sighting and there has been no trace. When a clearly recognisable individual appears regularly in the same spot, you can indeed feel a bit of an attachment as you describe. Daft really! :)

October is now over, the wet and lack of sunshine doing its best to spoil the month down this way. The average maximum temperature was only 15 degrees, and the high for the month was just 19 degrees (on 20th). The total of only 54 hours of sunshine averages out at only one and three-quarter hours a day - not a lot.

However, the surprisingly numerous third brood of Common Blues spilled over from September, and the presence of a handful of Clouded Yellows gave the month an unexpected lift. Ten species were seen altogether during October (and strangely two species not seen at all then appeared on 2nd November...).

Since 26th October, I had seen no butterflies at all. The last day or two of the month, plus 1st November, became noticeably warmer though as often happens at this time of year this warmth was accompanied by strong winds, cloud cover and rain. However, on the morning of Monday 2nd November (after an unusually warm night) the clouds broke up and warm sunshine ruled for a few hours. The wind was still strong, but there were sheltered spots along my usual local walk. One bit of path between two bramble hedges was particularly favoured, and I looked ahead to see a male Brimstone bowling along. It must have been disturbed by the unexpected combination of warmth and sunshine, but was clearly intent on finding another suitable hibernation niche as it repeatedly wandered into the hedge and out again. Having watched Brimstones seeking roosting spots in the past, I have noticed how picky they are in deciding what will be the right location and this one was no exception. I gave up any hope of it actually settling near me, so pointed the camera at it as it passed and hoped for the best.
Brimstone1 021120.JPG
I wondered if this was going to be a complete one-off and then also remembered that curiously a Brimstone had been the first butterfly I had seen in 2020, back on 11th March.

I'm glad to say I was wrong - on the way home, via a sheltered bit of flowering ivy, I spied a Red Admiral. Not really a surprise as I've seen this species at some point during almost every November in recent years.
RA3 021120.JPG
RA1 021120.JPG
Whilst attempting to get a bit nearer this butterfly, I saw that further back still there was a Comma. I've seen these in many previous Novembers as well, but the surprise element here was that I hadn't seen one this year at all in October - not since 29th September in fact.
Comma2 021120.JPG
Comma1 021120.JPG
Though the weather is set to settle down now, with more sunshine, there are going to be some frostly nights and it remains to be seen whether any more butterflies are tempted out. Still, today was a satisfying outing! :)

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Saw a Red Admiral at work yesterday too, no chance to grab a snap but it was a welcome sight :). Maybe tomorrow might be the final chance to see something...
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great find with that Comma Dave 8) :mrgreen: I've noticed a few have been reported recently on Facebook - so where have they been hiding this autumn? I managed to join the NBC (November Butterfly Club) as well today :D

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:53 pm..Unfortunately, David, that Small Copper is now long gone. I've looked regularly since that last sighting and there has been no trace...
Not surprising, Dave, but a little sad all the same. :(

Still, Brimstone and Comma isn't a bad way to start November off, and given the sightings coming in from the south of England lately, I feel you may have a few surprises before the late autumn frosts kick in.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, everyone! The season routinely continues into November round here, but it's often Red Admirals and not much else (other than Holly Blues of course, but this year they all seem to have fallen through a wormhole that opens out by Shoreham Harbour... :wink: ).

After a cloudy day on 3rd, Wednesday 4th November dawned sunny, but there was the first ground frost of the autumn first thing. Temperatures soon rose to 11 degrees, nothing spectacular but the usual walk around my local patch showed that the sun was still strong enough to encourage a butterfly or two to take to the air.

I was surprised first by a female Common Blue, so much so that she darted away and I didn't manage to get near enough for a photo. She was rather ragged and worn in any case, and probably the one I'd succeeded in getting a shot of last week.

I then approached a large mass of ivy, hopeful of a Red Admiral - and immediately identified something fluttering nearby. Not an Admiral though: after sailing back and forth higher up for a while, the butterfly responded to a little verbal encouragement and settled lower down. It was a Speckled Wood, and in fairly good condition as well for all that it had lost a piece from one hindwing.
SpW1 041120.JPG
SpW3 041120.JPG
I have a feeling that this species hasn't featured in previous November sightings here, and certainly not one so fresh.

The next big patch of ivy was more true to expectation, and was playing host to two Red Admirals (one of which I'd seen on 2nd). The other one had a large chunk missing from one wing, and didn't come very close.
RA7 041120.JPG
The familiar one by contrast provided a selection of shots...
RA2 041120.JPG
RA3 041120.JPG
RA6 041120.JPG
...including a close-up showing the great variety of different-coloured scales that make up the beautiful underside patterns.
RA4 041120.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

The next couple of days (5th/6th) also started very chilly, and what little sun there was not surprisingly didn't prompt any butterfly activity that I could find.

I had a look back at October's weather: there were only 54 hours of sun over the whole month at Heathrow, and the average maximum temperature was only 15 degrees. The highest for the month was just 19 degrees (22nd), but there were no frosts at all. (It was quite wet too.) Looking at all that, it was perhaps surprising that I saw as many butterflies as I did - ten different species with 140 individual sightings over 14 days of looking. November has now followed with two species not seen at all throughout October - it's been sunnier and the average high so far has been barely any lower than October's at just over 14 degrees.

With it continuing mild, there should be a little more to see, hopefully. :)

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Saturday 7th November turned out to be a glorious day, with plenty of sunshine and temperatures up to around 16 degrees local to me. As ever, I set off for a prolonged walk around my local patch, finding a coat wasn't even necessary and remembering a grim day back in June that was several degrees cooler and was grey and wet with it. Finding a single Red Admiral wasn't particularly remarkable (I was actually slightly surprised I didn't see more)...
RA1 071120.JPG
...but discovering a Peacock, and another one very close by, was a bit more unusual. I wouldn't be surprised if they had been hibernating in the same spot and today's balmy conditions woke them both up at the same time. One was looking reasonable...
PK1 071120.JPG
PK3 071120.JPG
...but the other was distinctly worn.
PK2 071120.JPG
I noticed several small dragonflies were also out in the warm sunshine, and managed to approach quite close to one of them.
dragon2 071120.JPG
I'm told this is a Common Darter.

Six different species seen this month now.

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”