Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Goldie M

Post by David M »

Nice splash of yellow and white there, Goldie.

Pierids (Brimstones apart) have been very elusive thus far in my neck of the woods this spring.

I keep hoping they'll appear en masse but as yet they haven't done so.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

The Butterflies have been few and far between in my Garden Wurzel, with the exception being the Peacock, the only one that's landed in there so far.

I thought today would be sunny but it was cloudy after lunch with a cold wind, I'm going to try the woods again, if the wind is cold it's usually warmer in there :D

Hi! David, the Brimstone surprised me, I stayed with my Daughter before I moved and I never saw one at all in Tankerton, so I was very pleased to see it
there, I think the cold weather and rain isn't helping the Butterflies at all and when you think of last year and all the heat with very little rain, the've had a rough time, they need water like we do, now there's too much!!!!!. Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Goldie M wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:18 pm ...I think the cold weather and rain isn't helping the Butterflies at all and when you think of last year and all the heat with very little rain, the've had a rough time...
Bang on Goldie. I was already having some concerns about the knock on effect of last years dry spells and this drawn out cold weather is not helping at all. Lets hope that things buck up a bit before long.

Cheers,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, I'm going to try again today, this morning was lovely up to about 9am now we're back in the gloom here with an East wind, they have said the Sun will be out this afternoon, (hope fully ) .Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I did go to the Park in Tankerton today, I finally found a spot to park and by that time the Sun was out and in the sheltered places it was lovely.

I saw more Whites than last time but then I saw this Holly Blue which looked rather sorry for it's self, I can't make my mind up, was it just coming out, or had a bird had a go at it, what ever happened it could fly okay :D

The park is usually full of Holly Blues but I saw just the one, things are certainly way behind here at present.

I also couldn't resist taking a shot of the Lady Birds , they were certainly plentiful.Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_7897.jpeg
IMG_7889.jpeg
IMG_7886.jpeg
IMG_7883.jpeg
IMG_7881.jpeg
IMG_7876.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That Holly Blue does look a bit battered Goldie :shock: I reckon that it's possibly something that happens in the chrysalis as there's a damage mark on the inner wing but not on the under wing :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That Holly Blue is in a bit of a state, Goldie. Presumably it can fly perfectly well though.

I'm sure you'll see more when the weather improves.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David and Wurzel, I'd a good day today, I went to Castle Park again in Tankerton, I was hoping the Holly Blues were out and they were, I'd to wait a while until it got much warmer but it was great to get some decent shots :D

I also saw this Small White with a couple of spots on it's wings, so that was different, then a large White flew and settled for a while ,my first of the season, so I was pleased with that, I did set off for Reculver but when I got there they closed the road down, ( filling in pot holes I think, there's loads of them).

I called at Blean Woods on the way back it was full of deep puddles and ever so quiet, even the birds are fed up with the rain :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_7946.jpeg
IMG_7942.jpeg
IMG_7949.jpeg
IMG_7916.jpeg
IMG_7921.jpeg
IMG_7925.jpeg
IMG_7927.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Those are great shots of The Holly Blues on the bluebells, Goldie! That's not something I've ever seen them sit on. A :mrgreen: for the Large White too - they never come down from the trees round my way at this time of year. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Nice Holly Blue shots there Goldie :mrgreen: :D

And the Large White, I've not seen one of those here yet.

Cheers,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks for your posts Neil and Dave, the Large White was a surprise but the Castle Gardens in Tankerton are lovely and full of Perennials so if the Butterflies arrive there's plenty of Nectar for them, that's why I try to keep going there, plus they're sheltered from the wind. :D

I was pleased to see the Holly Blue's all looking good, after my first shot of one I was worried the weather of last year and this cold Spring had got to them
I'm hoping for the Specked Wood next and may be ,just maybe a Small Tort, although last year I found them at Reculver, but like I said in my last post they've closed the road there for now, I hope it's not for long I want to see the Wall Butterfly, fingers crossed it was just for pot holes. Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking to see the Blue-on-Blue Goldie :D 8) And I haven't had the pleasure of a UK Large White yet so have a cheeky :mrgreen: :lol: I hope the weekend is set to fair!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, I think your having similar weather your way has we are here, Butterflies few and far between, weather, wet , windy, and cold :D
hope fully better this weekend :D Goldie :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm sure you'll find your OT soon Goldie. I see there have been LT's reported on your patch again this year too.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, can you tell me where they've been seen I thought it too early for them and the weather here isn't very welcoming at present :D

I've had an interesting morning, needless to say it's gone more like rain at present :roll:

I decided to cut the grass and tidy everything up, I didn't want to be stuck doing jobs when the weather turns milder, I'd just finished when I saw this flash of blue land on a Bluebell :D then three Whites flew by, they didn't stop but the Holly Blue stayed for a while so I was able to get the camera out in time to get a shot, Im really chuffed, it means I may be getting different Butterflies in now, hope fully an OT Pauline :D

I took a few of the Garden when the Butterfly took off, I'm really glad I put some effort into doing it in spite of the weather :D

Even the Newts are doing well. :D they look funny when their heads come up just above the water, their eyes look White :D
I hope the weekend is warmer , Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_7959.jpeg
IMG_7957.jpeg
IMG_7956.jpeg
IMG_7962.jpeg
IMG_7961.jpeg
IMG_7960.jpeg
IMG_7963.jpeg
IMG_7966 (1).jpeg
IMG_7965.jpeg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I got my first Speckled Wood today, I went back to castle Gardens, it's taken a long time for them but at least now they're on the move, :D

I also went to Reculver, no Diversion signs so it looks like the pot holes have been done, thank goodness, I was hoping to see if any Wall's had appeared but I saw none, this year unlike last with all the rain the plants must have grown too high so they've cut them down, it will be easier to see them when they do arrive, if, they don't go into the nearest field looking for Vegetation :D That's where I found the Peacock :D

When I got back I went to check on the Newts and saw this lovely little moth was in the pond, I got my net and scooped it out, I thought it was dead but it started moving about flapping it's little wings, I put it in the Sun but it moved under a plant in the shade so I'm assuming it's a night moth, I don't know?

I've a lamp stuck in the grass near the pond so I moved it a way to another spot just in case, I don't want the Newts to have a night feast :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_7971.jpeg
IMG_7986.jpeg
IMG_7991.jpeg
IMG_7989.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great shots of Blue on Blue Goldie :D The garden's looking great too - I bet the butterflies can't wait to visit it :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Goldie ,
Your moth is a Brimstone (moth ).....................excellent Speckled Wood shot by the way !
Allan.W.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, it looks like I should be getting some Butterflies at last, those little Holly Blues keep popping in when the weathers warm, also quite a few Whites, lets hope the weather stays warm :D Goldie :D

Nice to hear from you Allan, thanks for naming the Moth, I did look in my book on Moths but I didn't find it, they all seem to be large Moths in the book.
I was pleased to see the Speckie and for once it rested for a while :D I must say it's been quiet here for Butterflies until lately, now I must try and find an Orange Tip and a Green Hair Streak, :roll: Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Love the images in your last few posts, Goldie. You seem to be on your way to 'proper' spring. :mrgreen:

Keep us updated with the newts!

Return to “Personal Diaries”