Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Allan. Do book early for Knepp; it's harder to get a slot than a Tesco delivery in the middle of lockdown (other supermarkets are available).
Thanks, David. Another conservation success story to come, but in the meantime ...
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Another August Beauty

Not for the first time (see August 2019), I have spent part of an early August day up a stepladder in someone's garden! I'm very grateful to Alison Watson for emailing me about the Camberwell Beauty which had been regularly visiting her Buddleia yesterday. With a Knepp safari cancelled due to 'pinging', I had some unexpected free time this morning (14 August). Southwater is just up the road from Knepp, where I had an afternoon event, so I managed a full three hours in the company of this rather ragged but still beautiful butterfly. Alison gave her time, coffee and the use of two stepladders very generously.
UKB Camberwell Beauty (1) Southwater 14.8.21.jpg
UKB Camberwell Beauty (2) Southwater 14.8.21.jpg
UKB Camberwell Beauty (3) Southwater 14.8.21.jpg
UKB Camberwell Beauty (4) Southwater 14.8.21.jpg
UKB Camberwell Beauty (5) Southwater 14.8.21.jpg
UKB Camberwell Beauty (6) Southwater 14.8.21.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Is it REALLY two years since your last 'Clamberwell' Beauty, Neil? :)

Great that you can rely on local folk to tip you off regarding such freakish events. Is this a natural occurrence or do you reckon it's some kind of artificial release?

Either way, it must be beyond delightful to get to see one of these happily nectaring away on a buddleia in a southern English garden! :mrgreen:
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi David
I don't think we can ever be 100% sure about any sightings of such rarities; we can only assess on the balance of probabilities. Timing and weather patterns look good and there's no reason to suspect foul play.
When the local grapevine offers such fruits, I'm always ready to step up to the mark.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Wood Fuel For Wood Whites

It was way back in January 2015 when I first visited a private wood on the Surrey/Sussex border near Alford, at the behest of a friend, Tom Parker. The plan was to better-manage this site, for the benefit of wildlife and potentially the Wood White, while providing timber (and the usually discarded finer grade brash) for a local wood chip fuelled district heating system. This enterprise, run by Springbok Sustainable Wood Heat Co-operative, supplies affordable heating to a home for retired and convalescent seafarers; a great cause. I made a number of management recommendations, the vast majority of which have been implemented over the last six years.

Following a heads-up from Tom, who had just seen two Wood White there, I returned to the wood last Friday (13 August), and barely recognised the place. The habitat now looked suitable for Wood White as soon as I walked through the entrance gate; two minutes later, I spotted one! Over the course of several happy hours, we saw a total of seven Wood White (4f, 3m) and plenty of other butterflies. We saved the best to last, when Tom spotted a mating pair as we were returning to our cars. It's this sort of outcome that makes all the years I gave as a volunteer so rewarding. Congratulations to Tom and all the many people who have been involved in the project.

On the way home, I stopped off at a West Sussex wood where a friend discovered Wood White in the spring of 2020. The details must remain confidential for now, as the finder was working in a professional capacity and the issues surrounding the location are sensitive. However, it was very exciting to find four Wood White at roost in vegetation along the edge of a track, well outside of its currently known geographical range.
UKB Wood White pair, private site, Surrey 13.8.21.jpg
UKB Wood White, private site, Surrey 13.8.21.jpg
UKB Wood White habitat, private site, Surrey 13.8.21.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

10, 11 & 16 August 2021

On 10 August I started the day by performing my annual count of Silver-spotted Skipper at Cissbury Ring. With only 32 seen, this species seems to be having a relatively poor season, like many others; notable exceptions, at least in Sussex, are Small Tortoiseshell and Red Admiral.

I then travelled to the beautiful Stoke Bottom near Amberley, to monitor the butterfly population as part of my work for the South Downs National Park Authority. The highlights, among the 20 species recorded, included 2307 Chalk Hill Blue and the first 14 of the second brood Adonis Blue.

I returned to the adjacent Medley Bottom on 16 August, where I found 604 Chalk Hill Blue, 14 Adonis Blue and a further 17 species. This visit provided an opportunity to photograph the huge Hornet Robberfly, which is becoming increasingly common here due to the introduction of cattle grazing (Belted Galloways). Several of the females, among the more than a dozen robberflies seen, were observed laying their eggs in cowpats.

On 11 August I performed another baseline survey on a site near Knepp, where a rewilding project is now underway. This has proven to be a goldmine for butterflies, with exceptional numbers of grassland species being seen over the summer, including vast clouds of Marbled White, Gatekeeper and Meadow Brown. Unsurprisingly, given the network of outgrowing Blackthorn-rich hedgerows, I picked up my first records of Brown Hairstreak for the site (one of each sex). I'm expecting to see good numbers when I return later in August.
UKB Silver-spotted Skipper 11.8.21.jpg
UKB Stoke Bottom 10.8.21.jpg
UKB Hornet Robberfly (male) Amberley  16.8.21.jpg
UKB Hornet Robberfly (female ovipositing) Amberley  16.8.21.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak male, Danhill 11.8.21.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:32 am...The highlights, among the 20 species recorded, included 2307 Chalk Hill Blue and the first 14 of the second brood Adonis Blue.
I'm amazed you were able to keep count with such a tally, Neil. :shock:

I doubt there's any other butterfly in the UK that could appear in such numbers at a single site.

Nice to hear about the Wood Whites popping up in new locations, especially the second brood which, if I'm correct, usually has lower numbers than the first.

Brown Hairstreaks seem quite late this year. They usually get started in earnest during the last week of July. Hopefully numbers will build steadily throughout the rest of the month.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi David

Counting butterflies in such numbers (a thousand or two) isn't too difficult, and best achieved either by using a 'clicker', or via old school pen & paper and marking in tens, rather than singles, as a broad zigzag across the site is made. Using this technique, I suspect that a tally of 2000 probably reflects the presence of c.6000 on site.

Things get more complicated when numbers are much greater. On p.302 of The Butterflies of Sussex, I explain how a team of surveyors came up with a total of c.828,000 Chalk Hill Blues at Friston Gallops in 2012. A similar technique was used to estimate the emergence of 250,000 Painted Lady near Ditchling Beacon in 2009. Sadly, in the modern era, such abundances are exceptionally rare.

Historically, the second brood of Wood White was significantly less numerous. However, at least in the South of England, things have changed due to climate warming. The second brood is now regularly the larger, but not necessarily in all years.

Yes, I do think Brown Hairstreak is a little later this year, but not by so much as in many other species; they've had more time to close the gap. I tend to treat the males and females almost as different species when chasing them. As in all species, males tend to arrive early to the party, but the lag is exacerbated in BH by the female's habit of waiting for (according to Jeremy Thomas) 6-10 days in master trees, while their 'concrete bunker' eggs develop. Although the odd female will always be seen from late July onward, numbers usually start to spike in mid August; this year it's third-week, at least in Sussex (see below).

BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Brownies Galore

Yesterday (22 August), I returned to the land near Knepp where a new rewilding project is now underway. Starting soon after 11.00 am, I performed a circuit of the same field where I saw my first two Brown Hairstreak for the site on 11 August. A nil return was surprising, as I was confident that the habitat is ideal for the species.

A second lap produced a very different result! Along a 250 metre stretch of Prunus-rich (Blackthorn and Bullace) hedgerow I encountered eight females and one male, with four females in sight at the same time. Most of the females were unblemished, and none was tatty. Although I saw no more as I surveyed other fields, I suspect that this site supports a very large population. A winter egg count is in order. Unfortunately, there is no public access to this site.
UKB Brown Hairstreak (1) Danhill 22.8.21.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak (2) Danhill 22.8.21.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak (3) Danhill 22.8.21.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak (4) Danhill 22.8.21.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak (5) Danhill 22.8.21.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely to see so many Brown Hairstreaks Neil - just a pity they're on private land and others can't experience that joy. Have you any idea how Steyning is doing this year? Haven't seen many shots published from there? I'm sure you know there have been a few problems at NH.
trevor

Post by trevor »

:mrgreen: For the Camberwell Beauty, and :mrgreen: for those immaculate female Brown Hairstreaks.

Enough said, stay safe,
Trevor.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Pauline

The site may be open to the public one day; it depends on whether the owners go any way down the wildlife tourism route, but unlike Knepp, there are no public footpaths or bridleways across the site. Although I couldn't possibly condone such behaviour :wink: , it's not possible to find yourself 'lost' there either, as it's surrounded by a tall deer fence. At the moment the site is in its infancy and I'm just collecting baseline data there, to advise on the way forward. It should become a real wildlife haven in time.

I saw your posts about NH, but it's difficult to comment without seeing what's going on in the flesh. Hopefully, you'll get an explanation from the site manager. I can think of one or two potential reasons for an 'earlier than expected' cutting of vegetation, but whether these apply, I really couldn't say. If I wasn't so busy trying to finish my butterfly monitoring work before end-August, I'd pop over to have a look. I might be able to squeeze in an early September visit.

I've only had time for a single, brief visit to Steyning recently and saw two females in about an hour. I expect the population to bounce back next year, following a couple of poorer seasons. This is because cattle were on the site during the spring and summer of 2019 and 2020, in order to recondition the chalk grassland. Unfortunately, the Dexters love to browse tender Prunus growth (along with early-stage Brown Hairstreak), seemingly before tackling the coarser grasses! This is the (sometimes painful) price to pay to get the whole site and its wider range of inhabitants in better shape. Seeing the way the grassland has improved, both in terms of the flora and other species of butterfly, does make the short-term sacrifice worthwhile; it now looks stunning.

Hi Trevor

Thanks for the greenery. I know that you've done well at Shipton Bellinger this summer, but I hope to see you back on the Brown Hairstreak trail at Steyning next summer (see above). The plum tree you always used to sit under has fallen over; probably some sort of arboreal protest at your absence, or perhaps it's just distraught.

BWs, Neil
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Neil. Strangely enough I went to Steyning today. I was very pleased to see
plenty of Blackthorn/Bullace re-growth and Creeping Thistle growing outside the compound.
At Knepp and Shipton Bellinger male Brown Hairstreaks were nearly always found on Thistle flowers,
so I am wondering if the males at Steyning could be/ have been tempted down from the trees,
as males have always been very elusive at Steyning.
Another plant I was pleased to see today among the young blackthorn was some Hemp Agrimony.

As far as I am aware three female Brown Hairstreaks were found today by Kirsty Gibbs and John W.

All the best,
Trevor.

PS. The Dexter cattle have obviously gone !!.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Knepp Wildland 12 August 2021

It isn't difficult being a wildlife guide at Knepp, as there's always plenty to show our visitors at any time of the year. However, some months are inevitably better than others, and it's hard to beat the spring soundscape of Nightingales, Cuckoos and Turtle Doves, the high summer drama of the Purple Emperor season, or the autumn deer rut.

Even in mid-August, a relatively quieter period, there are a few reliable crowd-pleasers. The White Storks have fledged and are often seen riding the thermals, learning how to find and best use the columns of warm rising air by following the more experienced adults. This is a critical lesson in survival; get it wrong while trying to cross a large body of water and it's 'curtains'. Many don't make it. This year, I've seen as many as 40 in the air together.

If the sun is at least making an effort, Willow Emerald Damselfly is almost a certainty near the Hammer Pond and in some of the laggs (the mini floodplains associated with the minor water courses). This species is a recent colonist, with a UK history largely restricted to just the last dozen years, and only the latter half of that period in Sussex. However, it's now spreading rapidly, almost certainly due to climate warming. This delicate beauty is one of my favourite damsels.
UKB White Stork, Knepp 12.8.21.jpg
UKB White Storks, Knepp 12.8.21.jpg
UKB Willow Emerald male, Knepp 12.8.21.jpg
UKB Willow Emerald female, Knepp 12.8.21.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Trevor
Glad to hear that Kirsty scored; I know she'd put in many hours this year without success. I hope that you got one or two.
The cattle were excluded this spring/summer (and hopefully next), but it will take another year to get back to the days of plenty.
However, they may return the following summer, with a compromise plan of 'two off, one on'. Much depends on the condition of the chalk grassland and whether just autumn/winter grazing can maintain the improvements.
BWs, Neil
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for the 'heads-up' regarding counts, Neil. Very interesting.

I'm delighted you managed to see so many Brown Hairstreaks, particularly condensed into a relatively small area. Let's hope that following this slow start they go on to have a strong flight season.

Wonderful to see the storks/damselfly too. The work done at Knepp is certainly paying dividends. It's fast becoming a real oasis for rare wildlife. :)
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, David. Yes, the biodiversity count at Knepp just keeps on rising. I suspect there'll be plenty more to come in future years.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Lowland Heaths

This is a fantastic time to visit lowland heath habitat, as it erupts into vivid shades of purple and yellow. On a recent, rare day off from work (25 August) I spent a wonderful afternoon on Ambersham and Stedham Commons, both in the general Midhurst area.

Like Pauline (see her diary entry 23 August), I spent much time watching Red-banded Sand Wasps going about the fascinating business of provisioning their nest-burrows with food, then blocking the entrance holes up with small lumps of quartz and grains of sand. Incidentally, Chapel Common is the premier Sussex site for Silver-studded Blue, which occurs there in very large numbers; you can't miss them, Pauline. It is indeed an under-visited site, but don't tell anyone else.

Many other species of wasp and bee adopt similar behaviour, all making use of this loose and easily-mined substrate. A little time spent closely observing south-facing sand-scrapes reveals all manner of interesting invertebrates. I was particularly taken by this minute but cute jumping spider, Aelurillus v-insignitus.
UKB Red-banded Sand Wasp (1) Ambersham Common 25.8.21.jpg
UKB Red-banded Sand Wasp (2) Ambersham Common 25.8.21.jpg
UKB Jumping Spider Aelurillus v-insignitus.jpg
UKB Stedham Common (3) 25.8.21.jpg
UKB Stedham Common (1) 25.8.21.jpg
UKB Stedham Common (2) 25.8.21.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Nice little diversion that, Neil. Although we are predominantly butterfly enthusiasts, it's important to bear in mind that nature is essentially a chain, with every working part serving some purpose which influences other parts of that chain both above and below.

Good habitat is clearly a principal factor in a healthy ecosystem, and if thriving, this will lead to an excellent diversity of plants, invertebrates and vertebrates alike. I always enjoy seeing a range of flora and fauna when I venture out, especially if I stumble across something I haven't noticed before.

I'm pretty sure I've seen that sand wasp here locally, and I will now know what I'm looking at next time I encounter it.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, David. I'm sure that most butterfly enthusiasts are interested in the many other fascinating invertebrates we sometimes encounter while chasing our main quarry. I've a few more to offer, before returning to butterflies.
BWs, Neil

Return to “Personal Diaries”