Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Hogger's, thanks for the compliment on Colours, about those Rudbeckia, their great for the Garden at this time of year but the best plant I've ever had for Butterflies is my Perennial Wall Flower.

I bought it at the beginning of May and it's flowered every day since then and has had a great affact on the Butterflies the've loved it. I've just been outside now , it's rained alot but the weather is very mild and once again there was a a Red Admiral on the Wallflower.

It's a Purple colour I don't know it's name But it's definately Perennial. Other kinds of Wall flower are really just Spring flowers, ok for a couple of years then you have to grow new again from seed which is what I do and i'm planning on doing with this perennial one. Anyway I've posted a couple of photo's so you can see what it looks like and how my Red Admiral today loved it. Good luck with your new plants Goldie :D
Attachments
Red Admiral BG 19th Oct 2013 IMG_3703.JPG
Red Admiral BG 19th Oct 2013 IMG_3702.JPG

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of the Red Admiral Goldie :D You seem to be having a great run at the end of the season :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Goldie- that looks like Erysimum Bowles Mauve. I planted a lot of it this Spring and it's done very well indeed, it's still in flower now! But I'm not getting Red Admirals like you- such a shame, they've been scarce down here in Kent this year, so it's good to see your photos!

I'll let you know how I get on with the Black Eyed Susans!

Best Wishes

Hoggers

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzal, it's warm today but we've had lots of rain showers so if we do get another break from them maybe we could see some more, it's getting abit late now though clocks back next weekend :(

Thanks for the name of the Wall flowers Hogger's, I'll remember that incase my seeds don't work next year :D

I was in Kent earlier in the year and I saw only one RA and that was at Temple Ewell, I was dissapointed at the time, but I knew we usually got them in Sept up here, when they didn't appear then I got to thinking the cold Spring had got them, then in October they arrived and they've been in the garden on and off since which as been great it makes the season seem shorter if you know what I mean Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie,

Just catching up on your diary, great shots in the last couple of posts :D

You have reminded me that I really must get a plant or two of 'Bowles Mauve' for my garden. Also My dad used to grow Rudbeckias each year from seed that he saved from the previous year, very reliable for late summer/Autumn colour and great for butterflies as you have found.

Cheers,

Neil.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, Glad you liked the photo's. I don't think the flowers will last much longer with the weather we've had lately, we have managed to get one or two walks in but no sign of any thing.

The trees are looking good though so I've been taking shots of those, I love the autum colours, I'm still hoping I may see at least one more Admiral Before they go.

It was 17c here today but the Sun didn't shine until about 1500 hrs so it was abit too late. Hope you get your plant ok next year Neil I think it's a bit late now for planting Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

The weather here has been really bad lately even the birds have disapeared :) May be their still eating berries . :D But it's given a chance to go through some photo's I've taken this Summer.

Going through my photo's of RA I found this one , with a white spot , the spot seems to go into the orange marking I wondered if this is natural in some RA. Goldie :D

I've just looked into Abberrations and I think that it's a Bialbata Goldie :D
Attachments
Red Admiral BG 6th Oct 2013 IMG_3507.JPG
Red Admiral BG 6th Oct 2013 IMG_3510.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looks about right Goldie, great shots :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzal, it pays to go through your photo's and when you find some thing that's differant (Great) By the way I love your Graylings in Favourite's Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

When I opened my diary at first it was all about "Waste Land" , since then it's been made into a very small Country Park.

It's been taken over by the council and Forestry Com it's got a name Hall- Lee- Brook ,which I've mentioned a few times with the photo's I've taken and Posted.

Each year we seem to get more and more Butterflies there, Pecock's, STS, Green V Whites in fact all the Whites except for the Wood W of course. In Spring Orange Tips, this summer was great, butterflies were every where and one morning in July
I saw my first Meadow Brown there. 22nd July.

At first I thought it was a Butterfly in trouble, it seemed to be struggling and a couple of dogs near by were coming our way so I bent down and very gently got it to go on my finger, then I realised it must just have come out of it's Chrysalis it's wings were curled and it was struggling to open them, the dogs had gone passed us by this time, it stayed on my finger for quite a while and I managed to take a photo, (Butterfly in one hand camera juggling in the other ):lol: It gradually sorted out it's wings and I placed it on a large blade of grass and off it flew, to my relief. :D

Looking back over the year it's amazing Summer etc, there are certain episodes that we can relate to and think bout and for me this is just one Goldie :D
Attachments
Meadow Brown HLB 22nd July 2013 IMG_2266.JPG
Meadow Brown 22nd July HLB IMG_2268.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Last Friday the weather was great cold, but Ideal for walking so we decided to go to Penn Flash, I thought it a good Idea to see what the new camera could do with Birds, ( not to mention the camrea person) :D

We went into a bird hide and way off in the distance I could see a Gray Heron so I took a photo, I don't think I'm to impressed with it's range, anyway we moved on to where the smaller birds are fed and I got a shot at a Robin which landed in front of the hide and a Blue Tit, I 'm liking these two photo's but the one of the Heron leaves alot to be desired I think.

Still practise makes perfect so they say so I'll have to try out differant things with the camera. (I couldn't resist taking the Swan) Goldie :D
Attachments
Penn Flash 22nd Nov 2013 IMG_3750.JPG
Up Side Down Swan Penn Flash 22nd Nov 2013 IMG_3746.JPG
Robin Penn Flash 22nd Nov 2013 IMG_3759.JPG
Heron Penn Flash 22nd Nov 2013 IMG_3730.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I got back from Kent on Sunday the 29th Dec, had a great Christmas but boy what a storm we had over Christms week.

Tree's down every where, I've seen it bad up North but we've never witnessed any thing quite like that even with our share of wind and rain we don't get the flooding like they got in Kent. Lucky for us we didn't at least get the water every where and although the electric went down it was only for a short time, I won't grumble about living North West any more :D

Any way we're in January now and nearer to Spring :D Also the birds seem to be showing up more in the garden " Gold Finch " yesterday and today also Black Birds things are looking up :D Goldie M

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Glad to see you got back alright Goldie, Happy New Year :D
I too have been out trying to photograph birds - I thought it would be easier as they're bigger so I wouldn't need to get as close - right? Wrong - they're too mobile most of the time - still needs must, it's better than sitting around and eating even more :D Great shot of the Robin - you should save that for next years Christmas card :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzal, Happy New Year to you has well.
The only bird shot I got this year so for was in my Back Garden, still it's the first time I've seen the Gold Finch for ages so I'll settle for that. :D
I may go to Penn Flash if it ever stops raining, some one as seen a "Rail" there ,(don't know if I've spelt that right) It's close to one of the Hides as well, it's one bird I've not got a shot of yet so has soon as it stops raining I'll be off.

That's a good idea for next Christmas, (the Robin ) I may just do that :D

Popped into the garden this morning and my Snow Drops have started to come through , not open yet , but it made me smile . Goldie . :D PS so did the Gold Finch.
Attachments
IMG_4016.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

This last Wed's I went to Penn Flash the weather was cold but not bitter has there was very little wind which made a change :D We walked along the path to one of the hides, I was hoping to see the "Rail" , no such luck I'm a fraid but I did manage a few photo's of my Favourite bird, the "Robin" and I also got a shot of a "Nut Thatch" which was lucky as it didn't settle very long :D

The weather here as been very wet so no chance of seeing any Butterflies hibernating or other wise; when it's dry it's very cold this morning the bird bath was frozen and we'd to break the ice, the Gold Finch though are not worried as long as their suply of seeds keeps coming :D At least the bulbs are coming up and the Snow Drops Goldie :D
Attachments
Heron Penn Flash 8th Jan 2014 IMG_4058.JPG
Nut Thach Penn Flash 8th Jan 2014 IMG_4046.JPG
Robin Penn Flash 8th Jan 2014 IMG_4039.JPG
Robin Penn Flash 8th Jan 2014 IMG_4038.JPG
Robin Penn Flash 8th Jan 2014 IMG_4037.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of the Robin Goldie :D and I see you've started your own multi-species quiz :wink: I can make out a Grey Heron, Mallard and various feral ducks, Teal, Gadwall and a Tuftie. There's one far back on the left that I can't make out as the zoom isn't too good on my laptop.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzal, your much better than I am with the Ducks names :D It was pretty crowded at the Flash , loads of birds. I'm getting to know the smaller ones much better but ducks not too good on them I'm afraid.

Thanks for what you said about the Robin, I couldn't miss him he came and sat on a branch so near to me I could have leaned out and touched him, I'm saying he because he seemed much plumper than a couple of other Robins that were near by, now who's getting in trouble with sexist remarks :lol: I just hope I can get good shots of Butterflies this Spring with this new lens, I can't wait for the Orange tips to come a long this Spring. Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Well our new year started with a bang alright when on the 23rd Jan my husband after painting the kitchen fell off the kitchen unit and broke two ribs one of which pierced his lung; it's been a night mare over the last weeks how ever he's on the mend now but it was very frighting for a while at least he's got the summer to get back to normal.

Anyway the very last photo's I took were at Mere Sands on the 19th Jan, I think this is a Teal with it's mate and of course I couldn't resist the Robin again :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Teals Mere Sands 19th Jan 2014IMG_4079.JPG
Teal Mere Sands 19th Jan 2014 IMG_4078.JPG
Robin Mere Sands 19th Jan 2014 IMG_4081.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Alright Goldie, lovely shots of the Teal and brill Robin shot :D :mrgreen:
Wish your husband well with his recovery.
Have a goodun

Wurzel

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Sorry to read of your husbands accident but glad he's on the mend. He should have followed the standard male rule of never venturing near the kitchen :)

I always think Teal are delightful ducks, with the green flash on the wing and the head pattern that looks as though it's made from a couple of pieces of velvet!

Mike

Return to “Personal Diaries”