Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Mark Colvin

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Rewell Wood, 5 May 2012

Revisited …

At rest on sweet chestnut ...
Pearl-bordered Fritillary (male), (Boloria euphrosyne)
Pearl-bordered Fritillary (male), (Boloria euphrosyne)

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thats a beautiful photo of the P.B. hanging from the Chesnut leaf Mark.

All the best,

Nick.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Chiddingfold Forest, 7 May 2012

Late clearing sky …

After early heavy rain it was late afternoon before the clouds began to clear and the first evidence of blue sky began to appear. I arrived at my destination at around 4.15pm. With a brisk breeze blowing and much reduced cloud cover, I ventured deep into the wood in search. A male Wood White, the first of several, was the first butterfly to be seen followed shorty after by Grizzled and Dingy Skipper. Although I took several record shots of Wood White, today my focus was set on the Skippers, though getting the shots I wanted proved a little difficult in the windy conditions.

Species seen included:

Wood White
Dingy Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
UKBP1120577.JPG
UKBP1120595.JPG
UKBP1120545.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Rewell Hill Wood, 7 May 2012

Pole dancing Queen …

A very wet Bombus pascuorum.
UKBP1120467.JPG
UKBP1120481.JPG
UKBP1120487.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Chiddingfold Forest, 9 May 2012

Waterproofs a prerequisite …

The sentence, “I bet you can’t find and photograph a butterfly today”, concluded a discussion with a good friend earlier this morning. This of course was like red rag to a raging bull. The sky was leaden grey and steady heavy drizzle was falling, but I was up for a challenge. By the time I reached Botany Bay it was mid morning. The weather certainly hadn’t improved, in fact it had possibly worsened, and I couldn’t help but think I should have been here yesterday afternoon when conditions were somewhat better.

Not to be beaten, and this was not the first time I’ve searched for butterflies in the rain (mad, obsessed, over enthusiastic call me what you will), I slowly headed into the wood in the hope I might locate a Wood White sheltering from the rather inclement weather, though this was not to be. Having crossed a small stream and reached a Purple Emperor hotspot (well not today), I moved into one of several small meadows and carefully started to inspect the hardheads. The drizzle had now become continuous light rain but I was confident I would find what I was looking for. On my second circuit I spotted my target, a rather wet but welcome male Dingy Skipper. I found three in total, all males, and spent some considerable time trying to keep my lens dry whilst getting that all important picture.

Just look at those eyelashes ...

Wet and point proven I headed home …
UKBP1120737.JPG
UKBP1120868b.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Heyshott Escarpment, 16 and 17 May 2012

Ready for flight …

GCSEs, A Levels, revision and numerous family pressures have unfortunately restricted my recent entomological activities. However, over the last two days I have found time to search Heyshott Escarpment in readiness for this weekend’s open day, organized by the Murray Downland Trust and Sussex Butterfly Conservation.

calendar.php?view=event&calEid=13

Despite not wearing his best suit, I was quite pleased with the following image, the second of five Dukes found during a short visit this morning. I found fourteen on the lower eastern slopes yesterday and expect to find good numbers this weekend along with a selection of other downland species.

Come along if you’re free …

Species seen included:

Grizzled Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Orange Tip
Small Heath
Brimstone
Brown Argus
Duke of Burgundy
Green-veined White
UKBP1010982.JPG

Susie

Post by Susie »

Lovely photo, Mark, as usual.

I'll hopefully be there on Saturday, weather and family permitting. :D

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely shot, Mark. I sincerely hope the weather will be kind to you this weekend.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Dear Susie and David,

Thank you for your very kind comments. :D

Hopefully see you tomorrow Susie. It should be a good day.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Chiddingfold Forest, 18 May 2012

30 minutes, 45 at a push ...

As I left Twickenham early this afternoon it was 17°C and a little clammy; cloud covered the sky. My route home, as it often does, passed the entrance to Botany Bay. Well it would be rude not to stop ...

As I crossed the threshold and into the main track the air became damp as light drizzle began to fall. The temperature had dropped by at least several degrees and I considered turning back (well only for a second you understand) as time was limited - I needed a result and quick. I had walked no further than 50 metres when I spotted my prize, a male Wood White resting amongst the emerging bracken fronds which was quickly followed by a second nearby. With the temperature and ambient conditions restricting flight, both were very approachable.

One of my favourite butterflies ...

Species seen today:

Brown Argus
Holly Blue
Small White
Wood White
Green-veined White
UKBP1020200b.JPG
UKBP1020114.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Heyshott Escarpment, 19 May 2012

Open day ...

Males, females, courtship, mating, egg laying and territorial behaviour - today can only be described as an absolute success as I joined a mixed group of around 58 people on the Duke of Burgundy open day at Heyshott Escarpment, organized jointly by the Murray Downland Trust and Sussex Butterfly Conservation.

Arriving early, to help set up the marquee before the crowds began to arrive for the 10.30 kick off and the first of two guided tours of the reserve, I couldn’t help but think that today would be successful. The temperature was good and the weather conditions were perfect for a day of emergence and activity on this site that radiates calm and inspiration. We were not disappointed as a count of 31 Dukes was recorded, along with a small selection of other spring downland species. The Duke of Burgundy far outnumbered any other species. Of particular interest to me, was the sighting of a single female flying from the established Duke colony on the eastern slopes down into the lower slopes cleared this past winter.

Fingers crossed …

Species seen today:

Grizzled Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Brown Argus
Orange Tip
Brimstone
Small Heath
Duke of Burgundy
Green-veined White
UKBP1020478.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely stuff, Mark.

There can be few finer images than those of Dukes of Burgundy mating within these fair isles.

Hopefully the future of this species is in safe hands.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Yes,well done Mark! I'm pleased the sun came out at last,and you saw a good number of these fantastic little butterflies. It was nice to see you on wednesday,even if it was a bit cold! I only saw two Dukes then,so it shows what a little sunshine can do. Brilliant!

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thank you both.
David M wrote:There can be few finer images than those of Dukes of Burgundy mating within these fair isles.
I couldn't agree more :D :D :D

Good hunting.

More to follow ...

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Heyshott Escarpment, 19 May 2012

Open day ...

The Duchess at rest ...
UKBP1020283.JPG

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mark,

I am liking that Duchess shot, looks to have darker hind wings than I have seen before.

Neil F.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Westhampnett, 22 May 2012

Stag party ...

I have always been fascinated by the world of beetles. Of the 4300 or so British species (approximately 3000 in Sussex), the male Stag Beetle (Lucanus cervus) surely stands as the most impressive and most imposing in the native fauna. Last night, whilst walking along the northern perimeter of Westhampnett Gravel pit, I came across a beautiful 6.5cm, 4gm male (pictured below).

L. cervus is Britain’s largest terrestrial beetle. Spending at least five years as large white grubs underground in the root-stocks of deciduous tree stumps, they emerge as fully-grown adult insects in the spring when they may be seen flying on warm evenings at dusk. The adult beetle cannot eat solids; their enlarged mandibles being totally useless for eating. They do however imbibe fluids and it is believed they will take sustenance from sweet juicy fruits and fermenting sap runs. The adult beetles have enough fat reserves to keep them going during the short period they spend above ground; these reserves being accumulated by their larvae during the final stage of their long life underground. Today it has become rare in many parts of its range but is still locally common in southern England.

Despite its appearance it is harmless to man ...
UKBP1020633.JPG
UKBP1020832.JPG
UKBP1020891.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

What a splendid beast! I have seen them here to the west of Heathrow whirring around like miniature helicopters on sultry evenings at this time of year. Quite disconcerting until you realise what they are.

Terrific photos, better than any I've seen anywhere of this creature.

Dave

Susie

Post by Susie »

'harmless to man' but not to this woman, those antlers can give a very painful nip!

Those are great photos of a fabulous wee beastie and one I hope to see again (i've only ever seen the one).

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Dear Dave and Susie,

Thank you for your very generous comments :D :D :D

More to follow ...

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Return to “Personal Diaries”