Lee Hurrell

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Lee Hurrell

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks Michael :D

He was good to me yesterday I have to say - and I wasn't expecting to find such nice SSB.

There are plenty more French posts to come - I just need to find the time to go through the rest of the photos and get some ID'd too.

Shall we meet up at Bernwood last weekend of July or first weekend of August for BH?

Cheers

Lee

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Lee Hurrell wrote:Shall we meet up at Bernwood last weekend of July or first weekend of August for BH? Lee
Probably best to see how the flight period goes. I might go down to Bernwood next weekend (Saturday if the weather's good) as there are supposed to be Purple Emperors there again. I'm off to watch the British Open (Sandwich) for a couple of days next week so Sunday might be a travelling day. :roll:

I only got back from Bulgaria last night, so like you I have some photos to go through. It was a curate's egg of a holiday - we only had about 4 days from the week to get out, and when we did it was great, but it left me with bags of joy and frustration in equal measure. :shock: We may have to go back next year to complete what I wanted to do :|

I'll look forward to the rest of your French trip photos. No doubt we'll both be uploading over the next week. :) :mrgreen:

Michael

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Michaeljf wrote:Probably best to see how the flight period goes.
Yes, probably the best idea!
Michaeljf wrote:I only got back from Bulgaria last night, so like you I have some photos to go through. It was a curate's egg of a holiday - we only had about 4 days from the week to get out, and when we did it was great, but it left me with bags of joy and frustration in equal measure. :shock: We may have to go back next year to complete what I wanted to do :|

I'll look forward to the rest of your French trip photos. No doubt we'll both be uploading over the next week. :) :mrgreen:
Looking forward to your photos!

Cheers

Lee

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Saturday 9th July - or, what a gray day

With a 'girls only' BBQ at home (evicted, from my own home!) and an evening do in Tunbridge Wells for me I was free to spend today at several locations on the way (sort of) round the M25. Thanks to Dave Miller for a couple of suggestions and directions.

First up was Chobham Common in search of Grayling. I hadn't been before and was impressed, what a huge place. It started to rain a bit as I got out of the car so I went back for a sandwich while it passed.

I walked the path Dave had suggested and up to the top of a small hill. As I sat on a bench admiring the view and listening to the M3 it started to brighten up so I carried on further.

I didn't see that much though and unfortunately, no Grayling:

12 Small Heath, living up to their name
3 Ringlet
8 Small Skipper
2 Essex Skipper
1 Green Veined White

Next up was Dawney's Hill, near Pirbright, a short distance away.

This also a good site for Silver Studded Blue and just inside the gate butterflies were more plentiful. I saw a fresh Gatekeeper and then this handsome chap appeared.
IMG_3862.jpg
IMG_3866.jpg
I also found a lovely Brown Argus.
IMG_3881.jpg
Silver Studded Blues were frequent but apart from the male pictured, well past their best. There were browns everywhere and the stars of the show were Graylings, the commonest species on site.

I hadn’t had such detailed examination of behaviour and close inspection of this species before but I got both here. I’d read that they can be quite tame when resting and so it proved; I got within 10cm of some allowing very detailed inspection.
IMG_3912.jpg
They really are a beautiful insect; nearly each one I saw was marked differently. Some dark, some pale, some large, some small.
IMG_3948.jpg
IMG_3960.jpg
They are particularly strong fliers, unlike their Satyrid cousins, full of swoops and glides with wings held in a V shape, more like a Vanessid really.

I even got see a pair courting, with the male stroking the antennae of the female, drawing hers over his scent patches. I didn’t see the pairing though, they flew off and are near enough impossible to find if you don’t see where they land.
IMG_3929.jpg
IMG_3937.jpg
Seen at Dawney’s Hill:
30+ Grayling
20+ Meadow Brown
4 Ringlet
1 Gatekeeper
25+ Silver Studded Blue
2 Brown Argus
3 Small Copper
1 Large Skipper
3 Small Skipper

Grayling habitat:
IMG_3961.jpg
Last stop was Denbies for Chalk Hill Blue. However, by this time it had greyed over again and it was raining again as I parked up. I waited for it to pass and wandered over.

First up was the smallest Marbled White I have ever seen. Not quite half size but not far off.
IMG_3989.jpg
I found a Brown Argus seemingly hopeful the sun would come again and at last managed a photo of this species I am happy with.
IMG_3991.jpg
Here’s the upper side and the individual in context.
IMG_4003.jpg
IMG_3993.jpg
I found a few roosting male Chalk Hill Blues, Small Skippers and Marbled Whites but as I was watching the Blues it started to rain again. After standing under the trees at the bottom of Steers Field waiting for the rain to pass for a while, I gave up and trudged back to the car and on to Tunbridge Wells, where, of course, the sun was out.
Last edited by Lee Hurrell on Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Hiya Lee!

I was at Denbies with Sam today, we quit before the rain arrived though - shame to have missed you. Lovely shots of the Graylings! Any chance you could PM me access details/directions please? It's a site I've never been to and I'd like to see some of that courtship behaviour for myself.

We must all catch up again soon. I'm hopefully putting together a Dorset trip for Lulworth Skippers in the coming weeks if you're interested?

Cheers mate,

Seth.

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Lee,

Great report and I particularly like your Brown Argus pictures especially the 'Padfield' shot.

Keep up the good work and give me a shout if your down my way.

Kind regards. Mark

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks Mark :D

Will do indeed.

Cheers

Lee

Susie

Post by Susie »

Lovely brown argus shots, Lee.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Gibster wrote:Hiya Lee!

I was at Denbies with Sam today, we quit before the rain arrived though - shame to have missed you. Lovely shots of the Graylings! Any chance you could PM me access details/directions please? It's a site I've never been to and I'd like to see some of that courtship behaviour for myself.

We must all catch up again soon. I'm hopefully putting together a Dorset trip for Lulworth Skippers in the coming weeks if you're interested?

Cheers mate,

Seth.

Hi Seth,

I was there (briefly) on Saturday not today! But yes we must catch up soon.

For anyone wishing to try Dawney's Hill, the grid ref is SU945565.

Cheers

Lee

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Susie wrote:Lovely brown argus shots, Lee.
Thanks Susie :D

Will be going back to Denbies soon, will give you and Seth a shout.

Cheers

Lee

Susie

Post by Susie »

Excellent. I hope to go back there briefly tomorrow and then next week, weather permitting.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lee Hurrell wrote:For anyone wishing to try Dawney's Hill, the grid ref is SU945565.

Cheers

Lee
Glad at least one of the sites I recommended turned out OK! I must get down to Dawney's Hill later in the week if I can. Those Graylings are splendid.

Dave

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks Dave.

I think it was more the weather at Chobham, plus the size of the place, Dawney's Hill is tiny in comparison! It had brightened up considerably when I was there compared to Chobham.

Thanks again,

Lee

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I think the Grayling shots are splendid, too. You did well to get the eyespots showing - in my experience, they flick their wings down very soon after landing, so you must have been quick off the mark. Once the forewing is down,they're almost invisible - I didn't realise, at first, that there were two in your fourth pic!
Mike

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks Mike, it's kind of you to say.

Most did exactly that, closing the wings down soon after landing. However, I found a few that I noticed did not, but rather sat like those depicted for a bit longer. I simply followed those individuals and then crept up very slowly.

Of course, with some, if they sensed a hulking great presence they would be quick to close up after a warning shot of the eye spot!

Best wishes,

Lee

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thursday 14th July

Driving to work I saw a Red Admiral at the Iron Bridge at the end of Greenford Road at 07.40.

At work I saw a Large White.

I was greeted home by a Comma in the front garden - pretty sure it was the same male acting territorial that greeted me home last night.

I was home a little early and spent 45 minutes in my local cemetery. I hadn't been over for ages what with being away and off in search of Him. How things had changed!

There was much more lush vegetation, even more than last year it seems and summer and second broods are well underway.

Seen at the cemetery:
4 Holly Blue
3 Small Copper
3 Small Skipper
6 Speckled Wood
8 Meadow Brown
3 Gatekeeper
10 Small White

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Saturday 16th July

Inbetween the rain I had 3 Red Admirals in less than 5 minutes today! In a brief spell of sunshine one was my buddliea in the back garden. A couple of minutes later I looked out the front and 2 more were on the window sill.

Later, another, or possibly the same one as before, was in the back garden.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Sunday 17th July - sunshine and showers

In the short spells of sunshine, the garden has been quite busy today. A Speckled Wood and Holly Blue were about along with 2 Red Admirals. One of these was the same one from yesterday as it had a missing club from one antenna.
IMG_4106.jpg
IMG_4126.jpg
IMG_4133.jpg

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Saturday 23rd July

My Dad and Spanish resident family were at my sister's in Leicester for the weekend and I went up for the day.

Henry and Spanish Mickey got on like old friends, despite never having met.
IMG_4152.jpg
Later, we took the dogs for a walk in Swithland Wood and saw:

2 Red Admiral
1 Gatekeeper
2 Meadow Brown
5 Speckled Wood
2 Large White
4 Small White
1 Green Veined White

There was a disused quarry there which is known for very expensive slate apparently!
IMG_4169.jpg
IMG_4167.jpg

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Sunday 24th July - Bernwood Forest, Meadows and Field(s)

I'd arranged to meet up with Michael and Karen Field at Bernwood today. On arrival, I walked along the main ride from the forest car park and saw my first UK (half of a) Painted Lady, sharing a thistle with a Peacock.
IMG_4175.jpg
I'm not quite sure how it was still flying...
IMG_4181.jpg
There were quite a few fresh Peacocks, which was lovely to see. Sightings for the forest, between the car park and the meadows:

8 Silver Washed Fritillary
6 Peacock
1 Painted Lady
2 Red Admiral
5 Comma
6 Speckled Wood
5 Meadow Brown
2 Ringlet
5 Gatekeeper
4 Large White
2 Green Veined White
3 Small White
5 Large Skipper

I arrived at the meadows and headed for the long thin meadow near the car park, where I had seen Brown Hairstreak last year. Just along from the car park Common Blues, Small Coppers and a lovely fresh Brown Argus were zipping about.
IMG_4196.jpg
Gatekeepers were frequent along the hedge.
IMG_4190.jpg
On a thistle patch a fresh Brimstone was stocking up.
IMG_4208.jpg
While the meadow was alive with whites and browns.
IMG_4191.jpg
IMG_4217.jpg
In what was one those unforgettable encounters, I then met my first ever Empress. She glided through the meadow, at head height, with wings held flat open. The occasional flick of the wings and then she went back to gliding. Stunning. I met Michael and Karen shortly after and we all hoped she would return.

We had a good natter as we walked up to the end of the thin meadow, spotting the odd Purple Hairstreak in the hedge. Right at the end a straggly Hawthorn tree played host to at least 10 Purple Hairstreaks, flitting about and occasionally coming down to play. This was lovely and we watched them for ages, also seeing the duelling male behaviour as photographed by Zonda.
IMG_4231.jpg
The shoes in the background have been touched by Poplar Admirals....
IMG_4239.jpg
Suddenly an Empress appeared and did the same as before, so we all did get to see Her in the end.

Walking back through the meadows toward the forest Michael spotted our only Brown Hairstreak of the day, a male looking very fresh. We managed a few shots each before he ascended to the canopy. Still, what a sight!
IMG_4249.jpg
There were loads of dragonflies in the meadows, including some I'd never seen before; about half size of a larger one.
IMG_4254.jpg
Sightings for Bernwood Meadows:

2 female Purple Emperor (could have been the same one to be fair)
5 Silver Washed Fritillary
2 Red Admiral
15+ Marbled White
50+ Meadow Brown
10+ Ringlet
25+ Gatekeeper
2 male Brimstone, 1 female
5 Large White
5 Green Veined White
3 Small White
5 Large Skipper
1 male Brown Hairstreak
15+ Purple Hairstreak
1 Brown Argus
10+ Common Blue
4 Small Copper

Walking back through the forest ride we came across several photogenic Brimstones who were much more interested in nectaring than in us!
IMG_4288.jpg
Here's Michael in action!
IMG_4292.jpg
Nearby were several Peacocks and a courting pair of Silver Washed flew past.
IMG_4299.jpg
They really are a stunning butterfly up close when fresh - I think I could look at one all day...

We decided to go to Whitecross Green Wood, partly as I'd never been before. It is also a lovely place. Brimstones and Peacocks were stars here although we did see a couple of Purple Hairstreaks and a White Admiral. We had a good look but no more Brown Hairstreaks to be found.
IMG_4308.jpg
The rides had been mown in places but I'd love to come back here another time.

Sightings for Whitecross Green Wood:

1 White Admiral
2 Red Admiral
10+ Peacock
3 Comma
6 Silver Washed Fritillary
6 Gatekeeper
15+ Meadow Brown
5+ Ringlet
5 Marbled White
6 Small Skipper
5 Large Skipper
3 Large White
5 Green Veined White
3 Small White
15+ Brimstone
2 Purple Hairstreak
10+ Common Blue

Here's Michael and Karen, as we were nearly back to the cars. It seemed like we'd walked for miles today.
IMG_4314.jpg
It really was a lovely day spent in lovely company and I look forward to the next one :D

PS - thanks for the fig rolls - I love them...

Return to “Personal Diaries”