Greenwings: Montes Universales, Spain, 28 July - 4 August 2018

David M

Re: Montes Universales, Spain, 28 July - 4 August 2018

Post by David M »

Nymphalids - Fritillaries

Although this trip will be remembered principally for the huge numbers of Graylings (of various types), the secondary memory will be the serious Fritillary presence in this part of Spain.

I only got to see one species I'd hitherto never encountered, and this was Twin Spot Fritillary, which was around in the low dozens, although they were generally past their best:
5.FritsTwinSpot(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalids - Fritillaries cont....

Other interesting Frits were Queen of Spain, Marbled, Knapweed, Spotted, Provençal, Meadow and, most surprising given it is a creature of damp habitats (and there aren't too many of these here in Spain), Lesser Marbled Fritillary:
5.FritsLesserMarbups(1).jpg
5.FritsLesserMarbuns(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalids - Fritillaries cont....

The greatest joy of all was a rare one - seeing all FIVE of the argynnis Fritillaries at the same site simultaneously.

This happened more than once, and apart from Niobe, which is the earliest to emerge and thus the first to disappear, they were all pretty commonplace.

Of course, the most desirable of all is Cardinal, and I'm pleased to say there were plenty on view, many of them behaving in a very accommodating manner whilst gorging on nectar (usually thistles):
5.FritsCardinal(1).jpg
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I'm enjoying your report, David. Some lovely photos too. It's making me want to go exploring in Europe again!

Best wishes,
Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalids - Fritillaries

82. Silver Washed Fritillary
83. Cardinal
84. Dark Green Fritillary
85. High Brown Fritillary
86. Niobe Fritillary
87. Queen of Spain Fritillary
88. Marbled Fritillary
89. Lesser Marbled Fritillary
90. Twin Spot Fritillary
91. Knapweed Fritillary
92. Spotted Fritillary
93. Meadow Fritillary
94. Provençal Fritillary
David M

Post by David M »

So, in conclusion, this was a phenomenal week of butterflying, and even though I saw 94 species, I still missed out on half a dozen or so that others saw. I'm not sure of the group total because one or two are still being identified, particularly Spanish Zephyr Blue, which one of the party photographed but nobody else saw.

In brief, in late summer, this is an area that looks largely unsuitable for butterflies. However, if you can find the right spots (usually those with water running nearby) you can generate monumental returns.

It's almost as if butterflies are forced into a tiny number of river valleys meaning that concentrations in these areas are quite phenomenal.

Here are a few images of multiple species sharing these same prime spots:

Two Rock Graylings alighted on something unpleasant in the company of two False Graylings and a couple of Spanish Chalkhill Blues:
000001.Group1(1).jpg
This site was pure carnage; a standing pool of water with approaching 500 butterflies buzzing around. Cinquefoil Skippers are obvious here, but there are quite a few other desirable species too:
000001.Group2(1).jpg
This one stands out because there are just six butterflies, with five of them being different species: Oberthur's Anomalous Blue, Turquoise Blue, Mother of Pearl Blue, Spanish Chalkhill Blue and Damon Blue (in the middle):
000001.Group3(1).jpg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Personally David, I was amazed at the shear number of butterflies that were present there. Flying into Madrid, seeing all the brown, tired vegetation below, I could never have imagined that so many butterflies existed, so nearby.
David M

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote:Personally David, I was amazed at the shear number of butterflies that were present there. Flying into Madrid, seeing all the brown, tired vegetation below, I could never have imagined that so many butterflies existed, so nearby.
Yes, I had reservations myself, Mark, and even whilst travelling to the sites all looked dry, tired and forlorn.

However, life is full of surprises and life certainly knows how to take root near those watercourses in eastern Spain!
David M

Post by David M »

And finally, to demonstrate just how strongly butterflies are drawn to damp spots in this area (and these are few and far between, explaining why such great concentrations can be routinely found), here's a 1 minute film of what you can expect in the late afternoon when temperatures have soared to 35c:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg8juQew-Ck[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg8juQew-Ck
John Vergo

Post by John Vergo »

Wow thats amazing David, had to go there one day :)
David M

Post by David M »

John Vergo wrote:Wow thats amazing David, had to go there one day :)
I heartily recommend it, John. It's a region with lots of species that are very rare or even absent elsewhere. It's also nice to be guaranteed great weather every day, which, as you know, isn't the case in the Alps!
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Looks and sounds like an amazing trip David. All wonderful, but I really like your Great Banded Grayling, Iberian Scarce Swallowtail ( :shock: ) and Southern White Admiral. :mrgreen: :D And those butterfly group shots and vid. :D
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Andrew. The trip was fabulous and I can't wait to have another look at the area next year.

As for Iberian Scarce Swallowtail, it was classed as a species separate from podalirius last year. To be honest, they DO look different once you're used to seeing them both.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Thanks for posting all those amazing photos David. I've booked on the Greenwings Holiday for next year because it looks so amazing!
David M

Post by David M »

selbypaul wrote:Thanks for posting all those amazing photos David. I've booked on the Greenwings Holiday for next year because it looks so amazing!
I shall look forward to it all the more with you on board, Paul.

This part of Spain is quite something, let me assure you! It's also pleasantly cheap, which is always a bonus! :)
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Great stuff. Looking forward to it already!
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Just a quick question, are there any other UK Butterflyer's thinking about going on this Greenwings Holiday in 2019?
David M

Post by David M »

I don't get the guest lists until about a month before departure, Paul, so I can't say for sure.

There have been several UKBers over the last few years though on my trips, although my view is that the bulk of the regulars on here seem to prefer 'home soil', which is a shame as there are things to be seen on the continent that would blow most peoples' minds......which you will soon see!
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

David M wrote:I don't get the guest lists until about a month before departure, Paul, so I can't say for sure.

There have been several UKBers over the last few years though on my trips, although my view is that the bulk of the regulars on here seem to prefer 'home soil', which is a shame as there are things to be seen on the continent that would blow most peoples' minds......which you will soon see!

Totally agree David. I tried a Naturetrek trip to the Dolomites in July 2016, and wondered whether I'd like it. I loved it! Since then, I've done Naturetrek butterfly holidays to Croatia, the Spanish Pyrenees, Southern Greece and the Swiss Alps.

Next year, as well as being booked on this trip to the Montes Universales with Greenwings, I've also booked onto the Greenwings North Greece holiday too. As much as I love UK butterflies, seeing so many extra species in such large numbers in Europe is something else again! I recommend it to anyone else.
David M

Post by David M »

I fully concur, Paul. Once you've exhausted the paltry 58 British species then you have to acknowledge you've an 'itch' that needs scratching....and BIG style.

What better than to dip a toe into European butterflies?

The finest thing for me is that you really don't ever know what might turn up. That's not the case in the UK, with its restricted range of species.

In Montes at that time of year 90% of the butterflies are to be found in 10% of the terrain. Trust me, you will visit that 10% and you will be astounded.

I've put myself about a bit but I was unprepared for what I saw here. I really couldn't believe what unfolded before my eyes. I'm used to France and its vagaries but this was different.....thousands of butterflies in a small area with many rare ones and a handful of endemics. It was something of a wake-up call to realise that there are a few areas in Europe where these phenomena are still a routine occurrence.

No words to explain it. If you are on board next July you'll see for yourself.

Return to “Trip Reports”