Janet Turnbull

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Janet Turnbull

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shot of the Holly Blue Janet :mrgreen: Your Specklie is great too, really dark :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Nice selection, Janet, and don't complain about Speckled Woods not opening their wings - their undersides are remarkably beautiful!

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Janet, your having more luck than I am at present , I've still not seen a Holly Blue or an Orange Tip yet but I'm still looking, :D Goldie :D

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Out for a Bird Walk today at Sale Water Park. Heard and saw a lot of small birds and learned their songs - but got a bit carried away with the Orange-tips! There were many more males than females and I only managed one (not very good) photo of a female - much flightier than the males who were happy to perch on dandelions. Also spotted my first Green-Veined White for this year.
IMG_1698 Orange-tip.jpg
IMG_1736 Orange tip female.jpg
IMG_1730 Green veined white.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's one of the dangers of Orange-tips Janet they are so inticing :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Must admit, I've only seen three definite Green Veined Whites myself so far this year. I hope they're not having another 'crash' like they did a couple of years back.

The last few springs have been pretty poor for them round my way.

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

The forecast looked as though today might be the best for this week, so I went to the earlier service at church this morning in order to make the most of the day hunting Green Hairstreaks. Saw on the website that Cut-thorn Hill off the A54 near Buxton was the best site in Cheshire so made for that. We took sandwiches, prepared for a long search - and Alan spotted the first one within five minutes of leaving the car. There were many, thinly dispersed on the bilberry bushes. We saw several couples fly up in the air together but didn't know if they were fighting or courting. We didn't see any obvious mating.
IMG_1768 GH1-ed.jpg
IMG_1772 GH2-ed.jpg
IMG_1776 GH3-ed.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Glad to see you got some Greenstreaks Janet :D The second shot shows a 'punctata' aberrant as well :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

I’m quite envious of you there, Janet. I’ve still not clocked Green Hairstreaks on the Gower so it’s a puzzle how they’re on the wing so much further north!

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

We had two sunny days David. They were sheltered from the cool breeze where I found them. Also it was noted as 'the best place in Cheshire' so I made for there - haven't looked anywhere else yet.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Janet, looks like I'll have to visit Gait Barrow soon now your seeing GHS in Cheshire :D Goldie :D

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Hi Goldie, speaking of Gait Barrow - I went up on 10th April and saw one Comma! It was too early I guess. But the route I gave you for the BHS may have been the second track we made, in search of something else (can't remember what, but I don't think it was successful). I think the egg hunt track may have been different - your best bet is to message tomdunbar as he led the hunt.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Janet, I've been in touch with Lanc's Conservation ( just double checking ) and I think I know where to look, having said that they may be having a meet up some time in August so we may go on that, don't know when yet.
Sorry you didn't see any thing on your trip to GB, it's been very cold up there and they've had Snow later than usual that's why I've not been up there before now, I don't think any thing of significance will show up until May, if the weather get's better in the next 2 weeks or so I'll go then. Goldie :D

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Helped The Conservation Volunteers with vegetation clearance today. Probably the worst thing we could have done... This moth fluttered out of the long grass - I have looked on UK Moths but can't identify it. Any ideas, anybody?
IMG_2013 White moth.jpg
At lunchtime I got a shot of a Red Admiral and there were quite a few Orange-tips about but this neck of the woods seems to be having a slow time with butterflies. Anybody know a good place in South Manchester/Cheshire to go hunting at present?
IMG_2014 Red Admiral.jpg
Afterwards I went across the road to the local Quaker cemetery and got a not-brilliant picture of a Holly Blue. There were two of them spiralling upwards and then one came down to some bushes.
IMG_2018 Holly Blue.jpg

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Took a slo-mo video of a female Orange-tip while I was walking along the Mersey. It was about 10 feet away and down a steep bank so I couldn't get any closer, so the quality isn't great - however, it's possible to see she laid a couple of eggs while I was filming. Not sure how to show it on this post but the URL is https://youtu.be/Yr4fW17Qyoc

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Janet , I was up at Gait Barrow yesterday and the Dukes are out also GHS and Dingy Skipper, on the 12th Of August there's a meet GB to look for Brown HS, thought you might be interested. Goldie :D

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Hey Goldie, thanks for that - I will try and get to GB in the next few days, weather permitting, and I'll go up for that meet in August! Janet

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! again Janet, If you go to GB look out for the Pearl's, when I was there I didn't see any but they've been seen.
Warton Craig seems to be the best place for them at present, if you've never been to the Craig, it's exit 35 M6 and just follow the signs for Warton. Once in Warton you'll see signs for the Craig. You can also get to Silverdale and GB if you keep on the Craig RD after your visit, there's no need to go back into Warton. Hope you see the Dukes, may be I'll see you in August :D Goldie :D

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Went to Rixton Clay Pits on Wednesday - it was disappointing as far as butterflies were concerned and I saw only a couple of Orange-tips. I did get a photo of a pretty moth which fluttered out and fastened itself to a tree but I have no idea what it is. (Wurzel offers Small Phoenix - having looked it up, I think it is a very nicely marked specimen, and fresh-looking.)
Moth-crop.jpg
Yesterday I went back to Cut-thorn Hill where the Green Hairstreaks were out in force. I took a lot of photos and the two here are of a fairly fresh looking specimen with few markings, and an older one with more of a line.
P1370068-GH1.jpg
P1370162-GH2.jpg
Further along the path towards Three Shires Head there were many Green Veined Whites fluttering low over the grasses and I managed a couple of reasonable pics including a rather odd one in flight.
P1370098-GVW.jpg
P1370093-GVW flight.jpg
Back home a tiny Twenty-plume moth caught my eye.
P1370172-20plume.jpg
Judging by other people's successes though, it looks like I chose the wrong places to go!
Last edited by Janet Turnbull on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Never mind Janet, you got some great shots, Dukes next and Gait Barrow :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”