SimonC69

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: SimonC69

Post by trevor »

HI Simon,

All the species on your list can be found in East/West Sussex.
But, Totternhoe Quarry and Dunstable Downs in Bedfordshire are both good
locations, and not too far from you. Flight times vary so several trips throughout
the season will be necessary .
It will be down to pure luck if you find a Swallowtail anywhere !.

Good luck,
Trevor.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

trevor wrote:.....It will be down to pure luck if you find a Swallowtail anywhere.....
Are they not "nailed on" in the Doctor's Garden then? ;)
TBH, all these would be "lifers" for me so even just seeing one or two this season would be good.

EDIT: Just realised, my vernacular gives me away as a birder. But I guess I'm not alone in that here :)

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

PS. Please excuse my amnesia, Norfolk Broads for the Swallowtail.
A trip I have yet to make myself.

Trevor.

SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

SimonC69 wrote:...........a lot of my Butterfly trips will coincide with family trips to satisfy my Wife's passion for archeaology - so lots of earthworks and barrows will be on the cards ;) ..........
There's quite a lot of this sort of thing in Wiltshire isn't there?

Now, who can I ask about that part of the world?...............

:D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

:wink: :wink: I'll expect a PM soon then Simon :lol: I didn't get back to you before now on this thread as all the species could be closer to home but if you're after hillforts, barrows etc then I reckon Wiltshire is probably a better bet...I'll start looking through my OS Maps.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

I'm confident you'll fulfil your stated goal fairly comfortably, Simon. Here's wishing you good luck in 2017 and I'm sure we'll all enjoy the reports!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Just posted on Trevor's page and the following info might be useful...His daughter runs the Bell Inn at Great Cheverall which might be a good base - it's nearish to Stonehenge, Silbury Hill, Avebury etc as well as some great butterfly sites.
He said that "Anyone wishing to stay at the Bell should contact my Daughter, Lorna on 01380 813277." Hope this helps

Have a goodun

Wurzel

SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

Thanks wurzel,
yeah, the pm will be arriving soon. Just need to finalise with the better half which sites she wants to visit (Stonehenge is a given obviously - somewhat of a biannual pilgrimage of late anyway)
I'll be striving for a Marse frit coincidence I think :D

SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

Today was the first lunchtime walk this year in weather that could be described as "springlike" and my hopes were secretly high for an early awakened hibernator or two.
As it turned out, that wasn't to be but it never ceases to amaze me how much better I can feel after just half an hour of sunshine and birdsong! The Great and Blue tits were all on great vocal form, chasing each other around, A blackbird was limbering up (quite an early one for me) and of course the ubiquitous Robins and Dunnocks were all getting a bit more "urgent" :)

I did find one insect to aim my lens at though.
Bluebottle warming up
Bluebottle warming up
Missed the focus slightly, but I'm fairlypleased with the sharpness here.

roll on spring, that's what I say

Cheers
Simon

David M

Post by David M »

SimonC69 wrote: Missed the focus slightly, but I'm fairlypleased with the sharpness here.
Looks good to me! Let's hope your next one is of a Tortoiseshell/Peacock/Comma!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It's the vitamin D kicking in Simon you're shrugging off SAD :D Seeing flies and bees around is always a good sign that the butterflies won't be too far behind...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

Finally! I'm off the mark. A lunchtime walk near work, in 16º (and crucially - no wind) I spent a pleasant twenty minutes not managing to photograph any of the 10+ Brimstones or 2 Small tortoiseshells :) The Torts were too far away but the Brimstones were just not playing ball and were just in far too much of a hurry. They all appeared to be males and I would guess they had more pressing matters than sitting still.
Before I got back to work though I did find a rather tatty Comma who was happy to sit for me.
I'll be walking around work with a bit more of a spring in my step this afernoon now. Roll on spring!
Nikon D200. Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM, ISO 220 f10 1/200
Nikon D200. Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM, ISO 220 f10 1/200
Cheers
Simon

David M

Post by David M »

SimonC69 wrote:I'll be walking around work with a bit more of a spring in my step this afernoon now. Roll on spring!
I know exactly what you mean, Simon. The first sightings, particularly when they appear on the same day, lift your mood no end.

PS - that Comma is in absolutely classic pose - end of a twig, antennae pointing forward....like a torpedo about to be launched. :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to see another off the mark Simon :D I got my first Brimstone today so as far as I'm concerned Spring has now definitely Sprung :D Still to see a Comma though :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Only 5 or 6 weeks and you should be bagging your first lifer of the year! Be prepared, this site gets very busy once the season gets started :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

bugboy wrote:Only 5 or 6 weeks and you should be bagging your first lifer of the year!
I know :) Getting itchy shutter finger
bugboy wrote:Be prepared, this site gets very busy once the season gets started :)
I'm looking forward to drawing inspiration from the collective enthusiasm.

SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

Another good luncthime walk today, with 5 more Brimstone, two more Small Torts and a Comma. Only managed photos of one of the Brimstones but completely stuffed them up by forgetting my aperture was set wide open! Oh well, every day is a school day. Today's lesson: Check settings before you set off.

Heard my first Chiffchaff of the year though, so that's another milestone passed.
not even sure if any of this is in focus actually. Oh well
not even sure if any of this is in focus actually. Oh well

David M

Post by David M »

Fear not, Simon...at least you saw them grounded! That's always an achievement in itself at this time of year.

SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

Well, I haven't been anywhere near as active on here as I thought I was going to be. Life. just as you think things are ticking over nicely it has this habit of kicking you right where it hurts. Hard.

I did get out today though, with one species in my sights and thankfully, I got it.

Not sure how many of the outings I had planned will actually happen now but I will still be keeping up with everybody's progress (sometimes with a tad of jealousy no doubt!)

Anyway, A short trip to Waterford Heath this afternoon bagged me one of my most wanted lifers :)
Still need to learn to get head/eyes/antenna in focus but, I'm pleased with this as a first attempt
Still need to learn to get head/eyes/antenna in focus but, I'm pleased with this as a first attempt
Hoping to have a chance to go looking for DoB next weekend, but we shall see

Cheers

Simon

David M

Post by David M »

It's a nice, fresh specimen, Simon, so who cares about the obstructions?

Good luck with your Dukes. If you find the right kind of spot I'm sure they'll be there.

Return to “Personal Diaries”