Using "set" specimens on the species pages

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!

Should photos of set specimens be used in the UK Butterflies website?

Yes
27%
Only where necessary
41%
No
32%

Total votes: 37

Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

That looks better Pete. if you wanted to show a thumbnail without clicking image or whatever, why not use the code thaat UKMoths uses? it shows a thumbnail and a bit of info when you mouse over it.

One more thing. You have subspecies info on the pages, but it does not explain the subspecies very well. I live in ireland and there are some subspecies there and people wo want to know more about subspecies need a bit more information if you can get it.

Such as the Orange-Tip subspecies hibernica. Just says on this site aht it has minor colour differences and is a bit smaller. Unless there is images (like one I submitted) then you don't know. Well, I knew that one straight away as you could see it was smaller. But with meadow brown subspecies etc... its a bit harder.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

As it happens, I may be able to get images of all subspecies from a new contributor! Watch this space!

The UK moths effect is not what I'm after - but I'm nearly there anyway!

Cheers,

- Pete
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Pete Eeles wrote:Just below the species "header" you'll see the 4 items. In some cases, a missing image! I'm currently looking at how I can show a larger image when you mouse over the thumbnail, rather than having to "click through".
Ok - I've tried to implement something that allows you to "hover" over a thumbnail and see a larger image - but it doesn't seem to work totally OK on Internet Explorer. But it's better than it was!

As ever, all feedback welcome.

Cheers,

- Pete
Bryan H

Post by Bryan H »

Pete,

It's better than it was! :)

Bryan

Return to “General”