July 2014

Discussion forum for sightings.
MrSp0ck

Re: July 2014

Post by MrSp0ck »

That one is half and half, although some are only partly.

you can see the colour change on both sides of the centre line, and the line down the body and different antennae and eyes etc. Most often they are Half and Half though. Everybody looks for it in an orange tip.

If a Duke of Burgundy is one it would have 5 legs, 3 on the female half and 2 on the male half.
MarkIvan

Post by MarkIvan »

I've had a week in Cumbria with my Dad seeing lots of species I've never seen before. Mountain Ringlet at Honister Pass and Kidsty Pike, Large Heath at Meathop Moss, High Brown Fritillary at Barkbooth Lot and Arnside, and Northern Brown Argus at Arnside.

As a bonus I saw my first Scotch Argus on Friday at Arnside, others had seen some more over the reserve. When I checked back on Saturday morning before leaving for home the single one I had seen had been joined by another.
Scotch Argus, Arnside Knott
Scotch Argus, Arnside Knott
Back in Sussex on Sunday afternoon I wanted to catch up with some Chalkhill Blues and ended up finding my first Silver-spotted Skippers of the year.
Silver-spotted Skipper
Silver-spotted Skipper
Mark.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Thanks for clarifying the halved definition for me MrSp0ck :) . I suppose the Silver-washed as an example, isn't the easiest species to see this in.

Smashing pictures Mark of the Scotch Argus and the Silver-spotted Skipper complete with orchid pollinia 8)
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi all - the silver washed fritillary is more commonly called a bi-lateral gynandromoorph and I think it's just the angle of the photograph that doesn't show the different wing shape - the wings are clearly male and female. Interestingly one was also photographed in Sussex by Susie last year which was the reverse - female left wings and male right see http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species. ... 8Nr8tq9KSM where you can clearly see the different wing shape.
Kind Regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Mark (C),
Scotch Argus and Silver-spotted Skipper must be a unique weekend combo! Great SSS shot.
BWs, Neil
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Scotch Argus and Silver-spotted Skipper must be a unique weekend combo!
But the cynic (not me of course!) might wonder about the carbon footprint to achieve such a combo :twisted:

Jack
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Large tortoiseshell seen on the Isle of Wight yesterday - see http://www.hantsiow-butterflies.org.uk/news.php
Ian
MarkIvan

Post by MarkIvan »

Jack Harrison wrote:
But the cynic (not me of course!) might wonder about the carbon footprint to achieve such a combo
Good point, may have to rethink my planned Glanville Fritillary/Chequered Skipper weekend next year.

Mark
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

You should still go Mark, but you really should 'bike it' :wink:
BWs, Neil
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Does anyone know if there were any photographs of the Large Tortoiseshell on the IOW by Andrew Brookes? Not that a LT is not a great sighting in itself but the possibility of Yellow Legged is intriguing if photos are available?
Kind Regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
cl-bucks

Post by cl-bucks »

RSPB Minsmere ‏@RSPBMinsmere
Yellow-legged tortoiseshell present for second day. Please ask at visitor centre for details on viewing pic.twitter.com/sh6Sn7owuf
David M

Post by David M »

High Browns still in decent nick at the Alun Valley site in Glamorgan today:
1HBFund2(1).jpg
Full list of species seen:

Meadow Brown
Hedge Brown
Ringlet
Small Heath
Green Veined White
Dark Green Fritillary
High Brown Fritillary
Peacock
Small Tortoiseshell
Red Admiral
Comma
Large White
Small White
Common Blue
Speckled Wood
Large Skipper
Small Skipper
Brown Argus
Silver Washed Fritillary
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

17th July Isle of Mull Glengorm

One Small PB Frit, first Meadow Browns of year. Drew a blank on Scotch Argus (a few days too early) and no Y.L. Tortoiseshells :( :mrgreen:

Jack
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

The cost of commitment!
In trying to find new natural history subjects to photograph I managed to trip on some very low barbed wire and grazed both shins rather badly. It looks worse than it is but is sore! :roll:
Ian.
Attachments
The cost of commitment!.jpg
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Ian Pratt wrote:The cost of commitment!
In trying to find new natural history subjects to photograph I managed to trip on some very low barbed wire and grazed both shins rather badly. It looks worse than it is but is sore! :roll:
Ian.
..........but in contrast, (and definitely compared to mine), your ankles look to be remarkably free of bramble scratches - you're not doing enough! :twisted: :mrgreen:
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

ayjay wrote:
Ian Pratt wrote:The cost of commitment!
Ian.
..........but in contrast, (and definitely compared to mine), your ankles look to be remarkably free of bramble scratches - you're not doing enough! :twisted: :mrgreen:
I will try to do better in the next few weeks! :) Ian
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Ian:
managed to trip on some very low barbed wire and grazed both shins rather badly.
I detest the universal use of barbed wire. In my younger days, I once got snagged by barbed wire in a significantly more sensitive area than did Ian. A cat we had was badly injured by barbed wire and cost a fortune at the vet's.

Would somebody please explain why barbed wire needs to be used in non-military environments? Are there any legal regulations covering use of barbed wire?

Jack
nomad

Post by nomad »

I had quite a few bramble scratches and torn a nice pair of walking trousers climbing over a barbed wire fence in pursuit of my photographs this year. Also so far this year, I have been bitten by numerous flies including the hated clegg and midge. I have also had many ant bites and bought home a few of those disgusting and dangerous ticks. However, I just missed stepping on a pair of adders on Exmoor. How I do love this hobby.

Peter.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Ian Pratt wrote: I will try to do better in the next few weeks! :) Ian
Here's something to aim at. :wink:

The best effect is achieved by standing on a loose end of bramble and then passing the other foot underneath the wayward but now trapped stem and continuing to walk: with practice (not much is required) this can be done in one flowing movement and made to look as though it was intentional.
brambles.jpg

Return to “Sightings”