Ethics of Captive Rearing

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Susie

Re: Ethics of Captive Rearing

Post by Susie »

I must admit that I do like the Aes exhibition, it's always filled with wonderful things and interesting people.

There are elements I don't like such as all the pinned and preserved critters but the good stalls outweigh the bad. :)
David M

Post by David M »

Pete Eeles wrote: I can't think of a single example of this scenario!
Those who indulge in such acts are hardly likely to shout about their 'achievements' from the rooftops are they, Pete? I can't think of a single example either, but I'm sure it's happened.
Pete Eeles wrote:
I think it would be a lot easier to buy livestock online, and there are plenty of opportunities for that!
Correct. I don't really see how this can be effectively controlled.
Pete Eeles wrote: So what is "good enough" in your book? Not sure how you can police such things.
You can't police it. Trust is the key. But maybe I am more cynical than you.
Pete Eeles wrote:
Actually, I don't think it does, presumably because it assumes that the vast majority of folk are well-intentioned. What it does is what it can do - which is ensure that restrictions on species (as per the law) are enforced.
Assumptions can be dangerous, as it usually only takes a small minority to bring the entire practice of the majority into disrepute.

Aside from this exchange, I'd like to know how people would react if these exhibitions were full of individuals offering live adult butterflies for sale. I may be hopelessly wrong, but my instinct tells me that most of us wouldn't be too enthusiastic. However, it would seem that so long as it's a larva or pupa then because the default mode is to assume that buyers are all upstanding, responsible individuals then it really doesn't matter who purchases the product; everyone goes home happy with a few quid in their pocket and to hell with what these folks do with their newly-acquired living creatures.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

GV White - accidental breeding

Although Lady's Smack (aka Cuckoo Flower and many other names) abounds in this area, for some reason, there is none in my garden. The ripe seeds are tricky to find in the wild as they get swamped by other vegetation. So I picked some ripening seed heads (for sowing later) and kept in water. I soon realised that there were caterfillar droppings but I couldn't see the culprit until it was almost fully grown. I put it in a plastic pot with some twigs. It pupated on 17th June - a very pale colour but twitching healthily - and has remained very pale.

Jack
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks for all of the input folks. The article is now "live" at:

http://www.dispar.org/reference.php?id=87

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
kevling

Post by kevling »

Peter,

This is an excellent article. I have rescued some common larvae this year and succesfully home bred them, teaching my wife and children a lot in the process. However this thought provoking article greatly enhances my understanding and decision making going forward. Many Thanks.

Regards Kevin
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

I don't think such a comprehensive guide has ever been produced. An excellent piece of work and an essential reference point for all who care about butterflies.

Well done Pete! :D
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks for the positive feedback chaps!

Chris - I don't know anyone (including the breeders that are supposedly represented) that agree with this whinge.

Cheers,

- Pete
David M

Post by David M »

Vince Massimo wrote:I don't think such a comprehensive guide has ever been produced. An excellent piece of work and an essential reference point for all who care about butterflies.

Well done Pete! :D
Yes. 'Comprehensive' doesn't really do it justice. It's positively invaluable.

As ever, we are left to rely on the behaviour of those who indulge in captive rearing. Most will be responsible. Some will not.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks David!

Yes - I agree that we'll never change people's minds ... but hopefully the article is useful for those who don't have all of the facts in front of them ... whether they're captive rearing or, for example, trying to make a point!

Cheers,

- Pete
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Agreed - an excellent article. I think it will be of great value to those who have a desire to raise some butterflies or moths at home, but don't (as yet) understand some of the issues or complexities involved.

I personally don't have a lot of interest in captive rearing, but the views and advice given by Pete sound spot-on to me; a great treatment of a sometimes contentious issue. As an easy-to-follow guide to RESPONSIBLE captive rearing, I hope it becomes widely consulted.

There will always be the small minority who, for instance, purchase early stages (of unknown provenance) purely to get a good photograph of a butterfly they can't find, or can't be bothered to travel for - then just kick them out the back door once they've served their purpose, irrespective of some of the issues covered in the article. I doubt that these guidelines will be of interest to the self-centred few, who see butterflies as little more than photographic subjects.

However, I suspect that there is a significant body of responsible and well-meaning people who currently do things which are sometimes inadvisable, purely because they don’t understand some of the implications. For this audience the article is worth its weight in gold.

BWs, Neil
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks Neil - your comments are much appreciated!

Cheers,

- Pete
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Brilliant article Pete. But you shouldn't have published it here for nothing. It merited a booklet and a few pence from the sales to you (or to BC)

Jack
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks Jack. I actually wanted people to read it, so online (and free) it had to be :)

Hope all is well with you and yours!

Cheers,

- Pete
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Hi Pete,
Excellent article.
I promise that I will never buy cabbages in a garden centre because of the Small White caterpillars on them. :)
The last "captive rearing" I did was in the 70s when I was nine (encouraged by my Dad). A trip to the butterfly farm was always special. From that time, one of my vivid memories was this (naughty and naive): I will probably never again see a Giant Atlas Moth (or a similar species) in my back garden. I remember getting a lot of "street cred." at the time from my friends who couldn't believe that the moth was real until it flapped its wings !
Peacock Butterflies were always a delight but once released they did appear to be a bit over friendly which on one day this was to the benefit of a watching Sparrow.
kind regards,
Philip
Kind Regards,
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I might have missed it, but is there any mention of keeping hibernating livestock in the fridge? I do this to stop Orange Tip pupae (about the only thing I breed these days) emerging too early - a problem that indeed you highlight in your article. I have successfully overwintered adult Peacocks and Brimstones in the fridge.

Jack
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

I think the fridge treatment can be done at any stage of the lifecycle if a specific knowledge is gained of a particular species. I think this is best left to the experts so livestock isn't mistreated. I have heard of but never met a cool guy called Neil but I guess he has put maggots in the fridge before going fishing ! (I have done this before if I am honest) The thought of this could be controversial so there is need for me to be careful.( :)).
Kind Regards,
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Tony Moore wrote:When this subject was first mooted, I thought it might open a whole can of caterpillars.... :mrgreen:

T.M.
My mother didn't like the idea of livestock in the fridge. :) but that probably had more to do with "health and safety" and topics not to be debated at the dinner table.
Regards,
Philip
Kind Regards,

Return to “General”