jackz432r

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Paul Harfield

Re: jackz432r

Post by Paul Harfield »

Sunday 29/7/2012
I managed to convince my eldest son to accompany me to my local site, Botley Wood. We started early although the weather was not great, cool with little sun. After last Sunday I was hoping to show my son a few species he has not seen before. I had hoped at the beginning of the year that he would come more often but he has had more pressing things to do :? Needless to say we did not see much. We started early and were there by 8.30 in a hope to catch the butterflies before they became too active. My son, who is eleven going on sixteen, amazed me by spotting a roosting Gatekeeper in long grass as soon as we arrived :shock:
Roosting Gatekeeper Botley Wood 29/7/2012
Roosting Gatekeeper Botley Wood 29/7/2012
Ragged White Admiral Botley Wood 29/7/2012
Ragged White Admiral Botley Wood 29/7/2012
All in all quite a disappointing day we saw a couple of well worn White Admirals, plenty of Silver washed Fritillaries, Small Skipper, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper and Marbled White. I also again saw what I believe to be Purple Hairstreak in Oaks near to the pond, I still could not get close enough for positive id. I think we were very lucky to avoid a drenching and I had probably been there too long for my son to maintain his interest. Alas, I think I may have put him off :(
Last edited by Paul Harfield on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

You can led a horse to water but.....

Alas, this has not been a Summer to enthuse anyone with butterflying :D

Mike

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

MikeOxon wrote:You can led a horse to water but.....

Alas, this has not been a Summer to enthuse anyone with butterflying :D

Mike
Hopefully it is not a total lost cause. He is at an age where his interests seem to change from one day to the next. I will make sure the weather is more reliable before I take him again, though I might have a long wait :?

An Update on my Large Skipper larvae which has not been very photogenic tucked up in its little grass tube. I had noticed that the 'nibbled' area of grass had not changed over the last week and I had wondered if the larvae was still in residence. Tonight I carefully opened the tube to find it EMPTY. No sign of the larvae on any of the potted foodplant so I assume it has become a meal for some predator, maybe a spider. Unless it is hidden somewhere that I can not see it. The potted Cocksfoot will stay where it is and may come in useful later in the season or next year. If I do Large Skipper again I think more than one larvae would be better.
Last edited by Paul Harfield on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Sunday 5/8/2012 Beacon Hill, Warnford
Yesterday I had made the decision to go out butterflying irrespective of the prevailing weather conditions :shock: Reading others diaries I had seen many of late, ignoring the weather and even getting productive results in the rain. I had also decided to go somewhere other than Botley Wood. A downland site was very appealing as I had so far seen no 'Blues' other than Holly Blues this year. I have several downland sites within half an hour from home ( none of which I have visited), Beacon Hill is the closest and also offers the possibility of Silver Spotted Skipper :wink: as well as other species that I have never seen. I had also made the decision to start early ish and try and catch the butterflies waking up.

I awoke to blue sky :D but that rapidly gave way to grey skies. By the time I left home at 8.30 the sky was pretty black :( I wondered if I had made a bad decision but I pressed on any way. I am glad I did because as I drove a blue pathway opened up in the sky and I arrived on site at 9 just as the dark clouds moved away into the distance and only 2 cars in the carpark.
Beacon Hill as the clouds clear
Beacon Hill as the clouds clear
A short walk along the track to the top of the hill and the sun appeared as if by magic, surely my timing could not be this good.
View from Beacon Hill over Meon Valley
View from Beacon Hill over Meon Valley
Having not been to this site before or indeed any downland site for the specific purpose of butterflying. I was wary of trampling habitat as there were no real paths onto the hillside. But there were several previously trodden tracks through the area, which I tried to stick to. I did not know the best spot but headed roughly for the arrow on Alan Thornburys map.

The first species that greeted me even before the sun came out were meadow browns bobbing around at the top of the hill as well as some burnet moths, these two certainly being the most numerous of the day. As I found a route down the hillside the numbers seen started to increase.
Brown Argus Beacon Hill 5/8/2012
Brown Argus Beacon Hill 5/8/2012
Common Blue Beacon Hill 5/8/2012
Common Blue Beacon Hill 5/8/2012
I started to see Common Blues, Chalkhill Blues, Small Skippers and Gatekeepers. The numbers increased as the sun warmed the hillside but there were still occasional dark clouds dulling the sunshine for a few minutes. At these times I was able to watch most of the flying butterflies except the Meadow Browns settle until the sun shone through again. One short rain shower still did not quell the Meadow Browns which carried on regardless. I spotted what looked like a fritillary half way down the hill but it did not stop for id. It was not until I was half way down the hill that I could see the base of the hill this looked like a promising place with large clumps of flowers. I made my way down there and was amazed at the number of butterflies :D :D Groups of 4 or five would rise up in a tumbling ball of frenzied activity. By now more species were on the wing Small Heath, Large Skipper, Red Admiral, Peacock, Marbled White and Brown Argus. A large clump of Pink Flowers? had several well worn Dark Green Fritillaries patrolling around it, very actively. This is what I must have seen earlier. Also seen lots of fresh Brimstone (male and female), Small White and Green Veined White. Also seen lots of mating pairs of Common Blue and Chalkhill Blue.
Mating Pair
Mating Pair
Mating Pair
Mating Pair
Proboscis Out
Proboscis Out
Chalkhill Blue Beacon Hill 5/8/2012
Chalkhill Blue Beacon Hill 5/8/2012
This was by far my best butterfly day so far this year, 15 species ( 2 for the first time :D :D ) and numbers far above anything I have seen so far this year. Alan Thornburys map was spot on for the best spot. I did not see another soul in 4 hours until I was leaving even though the car park was full up when I left. This all made up for the fact that I saw no Silver Spotted Skippers :( I will certainly return to this wonderful place if not this year then next. Maybe in the spring, the board says Duke Of Burgundy are resident. :wink:
Last edited by Paul Harfield on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Nice report and Photos :D

Good to see the Common Blues, I am struggling to find any second brood at my local spots in the midlands.

Cheers,

Neil F.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

some lovely pics. prior to my camera days i used to holiday in East Meon. it's a lovely part of the world. we used to get barn owl quartering over the fields and even had a woodcock from the pub garden in West Meon.

Chris

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Paul,

I've just noticed that your first Common Blue photo is actually a Brown Argus :)

Vince

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Thanks for the comments Chris and Neil F.

Thanks for the correction VInce :D I was actually looking at a copy of Thomas and Lewingtons book last night and could not make up my mind if I had got it wrong :oops: I take it the lack of spots near to the body on the underside of the forewing, is the giveaway :?:

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

the two spots on the underside of the hindwing, like a colon ':' are the Brown Argus 'signature'
Brown Argus signature
Brown Argus signature
BrownArgus.jpg (32.49 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
Nice photo.

Mike

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Mike

Many thanks for that clear explanation.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Saturday 11/8/2012 Butser Hill (Oxenbourne Down)

Sorry About The Poor Photos In This Report

After my unsuccessful but very enjoyable visit to Beacon Hill at Warnford last weekend, looking for Silver Spotted Skipper, I thought I would try again this weekend. My only window of opportunity this weekend was a couple of hours on Saturday afternoon, not the time I would choose, but at least the weather was ok. I had decided to try Oxenbourne Down, a site close to Butser Hill, on the advice and reports of 'Pauline' and Alan Thornburys excellent website. After lunch I quickly checked Alan Thornburys website and I thought I need not print off a map as I could remember directions pretty well, or so I thought 8) So I set off, without map or satnav, on the pleasant drive through Bishops Waltham, Corhampton and West Meon. I parked up in the Queen Elizabeth Country Park main car park, which was pretty much full up, and headed off, on foot, under the A3 towards the Butser direction. I spotted a few Chalkhill Blues on the banks of the road immediately outside the carpark. As I approached the foot of the hill I checked my mental map and remembered that Oxenbourne was one, or was it two valleys south of Butser Hill. I was now not so sure exactly where I should be going :oops: so I headed off up the main hill to have a look anyway. The main mown path up Butser hill was busy with foot traffic. Although it was hot with bright if hazy sunshine, there was quite a stiff breeze blowing.

As I walked up the steep lower slopes of Butser There were lots of Meadow Browns and Burnet Moths in the longish grass. Through the gate about two thirds the way up, the areas either side of the main path became more flowery with less long grass Common Blues seen here. This area seemed more suitable for Silver Spotted Skipper (from what I have read) than that at Beacon Hill where the growth is much longer. It was gradually dawning on me that Oxenbourne Down was not what I could see to my left, so Oxenbourne would have to wait for another day :( Further up towards the summit of Butser the wild flower areas were much wider. A very worn Dark Green Fritillary flew past me together with a couple of what could possibly have been Painted Lady.
Lots of Small Heath seen here
Lots of Small Heath seen here
I found a very sheltered area where there were good numbers of Small Heath. With only limited time I decided that enough was enough and that I should start to head back. I had missed Oxenbourne completely :( and probably my chance to see Silver Spotted Skipper as well :( In fact I had seen no skippers at all up until that point. As I decended the hill I spotted a couple of guys with proper cameras and lenses photographing something low in the grass. I thought they looked like they knew what they were doing, perhaps they can point me in the direction of Silver Spotted Skipper. I went and spoke to them but they admitted to me that the cameras were brand new and they did not really know what they were doing :? Then something caught my eye. What looked like a skipper flying low over the turf, doing its best not to get blown away, paler in appearance than a Small or Large skipper, could it be :P Then to my amazement it settled right at the edge of the mown path, almost at my feet :o I think I may have let out an audible expression of my excitment, no doubt amusing to passers by of which there were many :oops: Yes, I had found my first Silver Spotted Skipper :D :D It stayed long enough for me to get close enough for two photos.
There is a Silver Spotted Skipper there somewhere
There is a Silver Spotted Skipper there somewhere
It then flew off in the wind and I lost sight. I searched the area thoroughly but did not see another.
Out of focus Small Copper Butser 11/8/2012
Out of focus Small Copper Butser 11/8/2012
However, I did find numerous Small Copper (my first of the year) and some Small Skippers in the same area which I had missed on the way up. Unfortunately all my photos were out of focus again, maybe this was my over excitment :x All in all I was pretty chuffed when I had all but given up. I continued on my way down at the bottom of the hill in the car park/camping/barbecue area I found a quite few Chalkhill Blues but none were seen on the hill itself. Hopefully I will have time to return next weekend, WITH A MAP. :oops:

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Friday 17/8/2012 Botley Wood
My wife has taken the kids away for a long weekend with friends, unfortunately I have to work, so could not go :( The upside is that the world is my oyster, so to speak, until Tuesday :D

I finished work slightly early so decided to pop into Botley Wood on the way home for a late visit. I arrived at 5.30pm and found the site extremely muddy as usual with a few areas still bathed in sunshine. However, I saw very few butterflies :( Just a few Meadow Brown and Gatekeeper, a couple of each. I did see lots of dragonflies though including one area where there were 10 or so patrolling a small area skimming just along the top of long grass. How they managed to avoid each other I do not know. I went and stood right in the middle of their path and observed for sometime. I noticed that the long grass was full of flying ants. I imagine the dragonflies were feeding on them. They patrolled continuously without settling at all, so no photos. I can not even tell you what species, a hawker with lots of blue. I only managed a couple of photos of some hoverflies/dragonflies, not sure on species though :?:

Looking forward to a bumper butterfly weekend :D 'While the cats away the mice will play'
? Hoverfly Botley Wood 17.8.2012
Darter Dragonfly Botley Wood 17.7.2012
Darter Dragonfly Botley Wood 17.7.2012

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Saturday 18/8/2012 Oxenbourne Down
This weekend I was determined to get properly acquainted with Silver Spotted Skipper. I was heading for Oxenbourne Down, again, this time with a map and directions :wink: Having the weekend to myself unexpectedly, meant that I could please myself and there were no time limits :wink: The weather looked to be pretty perfect, hot and sunny with some hazy cloud. I arrived on site at about 8.30 and found the place without any problems thanks to excellent directions provided by 'Pauline' ( thanks again Pauline ) :D Greeting me on the steps that lead onto the site from the road, was a handsome Slow Worm :D
Slow Worm On Guard Duty
Slow Worm On Guard Duty
Closely Grazed Turf at Oxenbourne Down
Closely Grazed Turf at Oxenbourne Down
As I entered the site I could see that the butterflies were already pretty active with Meadow Browns and Chalkhill Blues avidly nectaring in the morning sun. The main part of this site, from a butterfly point of view, is a south facing sloping area of closely grazed turf with wild flowers surrounded by scrub. There is a track of sorts through the middle of this part of the site, it was not long before I spotted my first Silver Spotted Skipper :D (male) here, one minute it was in sight and the next it was off at high speed. I saw several male Silver Spotted Skippers in and around this track within 20 minutes of my arrival. Also seen Several fresh Brimstones (male and female) and Some Common Blues early on. As the temperature increased throughout the morning I explored the whole extent of this area. There are some very sheltered spots here that are not immediately apparent when you first enter. I ventured away from the main track and found several areas where there were good numbers of Small Heath and also Small Copper together with a couple of Green Veined White. I came across another Silver Spotted Skipper which seemed less flighty than the others I had seen. When she opened her wings and was then bothered for a few minutes by an enthusiastic male, I realised this was a female (she gave him the brush off by the way). After that encounter it became fairly easy to tell the sexes apart, as the females were a lot less inclined to fly away when I approached them. One female inparticular I spent quite a while with. She would spend a short while feeding on a few flowers and then appeared to rest rather than bask with wings shut whilst coiling and uncoiling her proboscis. I waited patiently in case she may start egg laying but I did not witness that. By mid morning the numbers of butterflies had increased significantly particularly the Chalkhill Blues, which ranged from very fresh to very ragged. There was one particular area where there were so many egg laying females, mating pairs and courting pairs, that I had to retreat for fear of trampling them :shock: I saw lots of examples of females that had half a dozen males pestering them, looking like a writhing mass of silvery blue in the grass.
Male Silver Spotted Skipper
Male Silver Spotted Skipper
Female Silver Spotted Skipper
Female Silver Spotted Skipper
Silver Spotted Skipper Underside
Silver Spotted Skipper Underside
Small Copper Oxenbourne Down 18.8.2012
Small Copper Oxenbourne Down 18.8.2012
Small Heath Oxenbourne Down 18.8.2012
Small Heath Oxenbourne Down 18.8.2012
Silver Spotted Skipper feeding
Silver Spotted Skipper feeding
I had been given directions to a flower filled valley below the site. The route to this was along a ridge with narrow strip of different habitat with longer grass. The only skippers I found here were good numbers of very worn Small Skippers together with Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper and Brimstone. At the point where you need to break through a narrow strip of trees to get you into the valley below, there is a couple of Buddleia Bushes. Whether they have been planted there deliberately I do not know, but they were covered in butterflies. On the largest bush I counted 2 Brimstone, 3 Red Admiral, 8 Peacock and a couple of Small Skipper. It is a long time since I have seen that many butterflies on a Buddleia bush, most I see these days have none on them.
Fully Occupied Buddleia
Fully Occupied Buddleia
Male Brimstone Feeding
Male Brimstone Feeding
The valley below was a site to behold, full of wild flowers as far as the eye could see. It did not look like this place gets many visitors because the growth was lush and there were no discernable tracks at all. Butterfly wise it was not as productive, Meadow Browns and Chalkhill Blues mainly with a couple of Brimstone and 1 possibly 2 female Silver Spotted Skipper.
Female Chalkhill Blue Oxenbourne Down 18.8.2012
Female Chalkhill Blue Oxenbourne Down 18.8.2012
Meadow Brown Female Oxenbourne Down 18.8.2012
Meadow Brown Female Oxenbourne Down 18.8.2012
It had been suggested that I should take a circular route which terminated at the end of the valley. When I reached that point I decided rather than end my visit I should retrace my route and take a second look at everything. I had looked closely at several Small Skippers during the morning just in case they might actually be Essex Skippers, up until that point they had not. Later, in the area of well grazed grass, I spotted what I thought was a SMall Skipper. When I looked closely I could see it was an Essex Skipper. As I knelt down to take a photo a Silver Spotted Skipper flew into view. I have to say I was a little blase and tried to ignore the Silver Spotted Skipper 8) as I had seen plenty of those already, this was my first confirmed Essex Skipper :D Needless to say when I turned my attention back to the Essex Skipper, it had gone. I spent sometime looking for it, but to no avail :(

All in all I spent 6 hours at this wonderful place. By the time I left I was happy but sunburnt, tired and thirsty. I am reluctant to say that this was my best butterfly day so far because I seem to be saying that quite often now. I am certainly glad I persisted in finding the place and will return again next year.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Sunday 19/8/2012 Gilkicker Fort, Gosport (the weekend before last)
With the weekend to myself and after an excellent few hours spent at Oxenbourne yesterday, where should I go today :?: I could try for Brown Hairstreak at Noar Hill, Adonis Blue at Martin Down maybe or Wall Brown, could I fit in two sites and make the most of the time :?: To be honest spending 6 hours out in the blazing heat at Oxenbourne yesterday had taken its toll on me, so a short journey was appealing. Some one had told me that Wall Brown are sometimes to be seen at Gilkicker Fort in Gosport. I have not seen Wall Brown since the first and only time I have seen them when I was about 11 yrs old at Bembridge on the Isle Of Wight. So I decided to head for Gilkicker Fort, this would tie in with a quick cup of tea at my parents in Fareham later on. I headed off in the early morning sunshine and managed to find the Fort after asking a couple of guys fishing in the area.
Gilkicker Visitor Board
Gilkicker Visitor Board
Fort Gilkicker
Fort Gilkicker
View to the east
View to the east
The Fort was built in the 1860's as part of a ring of defensive forts that surround Portsmouth. It is now bounded on three sides by a golf course and is adjacent to the beach. The fort has steep earth banks which are covered in dense wild flower growth and a small area of sheltered scrub to the east, west and north. Access to the area is via a footpath through the golfcourse or along the coastal/beach walk. The site is a designated SSSI due to the two salt water lagoons behind the Fort which contain unusual marine life and the Gilkicker Weevil which lives on the banks of the Fort itself. This is quite unusual for a butterfly site and is exposed and sheltered at the same time, if that is possible.

I arrived at 8.30 ish in bright sunshine and slight sea breeze at which time not many butterflies were on the wing save a few Meadow Browns.
Female Common Blue Gilkicker 19/8/2012
My first proper encounter was with a couple of Common Blues, one male and a beautiful Blue female :D the bluest I have ever seen, in the sheltered grassy area immediately behind the fort. I then headed off around the fort and found that you can climb the banks and do an almost complete tour around the top of the banks. More Meadow Browns a few Gatekeepers and some Small and Large Whites up on the banks. I started my second tour of the Fort by climbing a steep track up the bank. As I climbed I disturbed a Small Tortoishell which must have been basking on the bare ground :D It flew a short way and settled on some flowers beyond the reach of my camera. However, I did manage a very long range shot just for the record. This sighting alone made my visit worthwhile as I have not seen Small Tortoishell for several years :D :D I then took a wander westwards away from the fort where there is some sheltered scrub and pools (not sure if the pools are salt or fresh water) In this area I found more Meadow Browns, Gatekepers a few Common Blues, one Small Copper, a couple of Speckled Wood and some very worn Small Skipper. I also saw several Emperor Dragonflies and some others. I tried to get close to an Emperor dragonfly patrolling up and down a small pool. I watched where it occasionally settled and waited near that spot very still. Unfortunately I was subjected to the attack of the inquisitive and over excited dog on his Sunday morning walk which made a close encounter impossible :x Back at the fort itself I met up with a local butterfly enthusiast, David T, doing his regular count at this site. We spent the next hour discussing the local species. He mentioned that Wall Brown are rarities here and only a few are recorded each year, normally very late. He also confirmed that there was a Small Tortoishell here yesterday so probably the same one. We caught up with the S.Tortoishell again feeding on Hemp Agrimony on the other side of the fort and also added Small Heath and Red Admiral to the days tally.

An enjoyable morning with a good species count. And good to get some local knowledge. If the opportunity presents I will return in a week or two to check again for Wall Brown

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

This report is for a visit a while ago. Late due to some computer problems :(
Sunday 26/8/2012 Noar Hill
It is beginning to dawn on me that the butterfly season is drawing to a close. With the additional prospect that my boys football season is due to recommence, opportunities for butterflying are likely to be few and far between :( So with the forecast of good weather on Sunday morning I thought I had better grab the opportunity as it might be my last chance. I had read many reports from Noar Hill during the year and heard it described as a special place. I had always intended to visit earlier in the season but did not find the time. So with the outside possibility of a first Brown Hairstreak sighting I set off for Noar Hill for the first time. I regularly drive through the village of Selborne so I knew roughly where to go. I printed off a map from Alan Thornburys site and set off up the A32. I found this place quite difficult to find even with a map and parking also is not great. Luckily, when I arrived at 8.45, I appeared to be there on my own. What a difference a couple of weeks makes, there was certainly the first signs of autumn looming, heavy dew and a very slight chill despite the sun.
Noar Hill typical terrain
Noar Hill typical terrain
This site is criss crossed with a myriad of small tracks and paths and I found it quite difficult to keep my bearings on the open areas whilst I was there. Initially there were hardly any butterflies evident, just a few meadow browns. Once I made it to the treelined track further into the site I came across a couple of Speckled Wood and then, busy nectaring on flowers in one of the many deep hollows, a solitary Small Tortoishell, my second of the year.
Speckled Wood Noar Hill 26.8.2012
Speckled Wood Noar Hill 26.8.2012
Small Tortoiseshell Noar Hill 26.8.2012
Small Tortoiseshell Noar Hill 26.8.2012
As the warmth of the sunshine started to be felt, a few more Meadow browns and the odd gatekeeper appeared. Every now and again I got out the binoculars in search of flutterings in the treetops. I found a secluded tree lined hollow on the far side of the site where, scouring the tree tops through the binoculars, a butterfly flew into my field of view briefly a couple of times :o Although I stayed put for quite a while studying the top of the Ash trees I did not see it again. When I turned around a Red Admiral was busy feeding on Hemp Agrimony in the same area. I made another tour of the site just seeing a few more Meadow Browns and the odd Gatekeeper by which time the temperature was getting up despite the increasing cloud. I returned to the spot where I had previously seen treetop flutterings to find another chap on a similar mission, he had seen nothing. We stood for a fair while and chatted but Nothing further developed on the Brown Hairstreak front, only a Hawker dragonfly, possibly a Migrant Hawker was patrolling the area. Something then caught my eye on nearby bramble blossom, on closer inspection it was a Holly Blue. Despite the dragonfly settling very close on the same bush, the Holly Blue did not take to the air the whole time we looked on. My fellow watcher moved on whilst I stayed for a few minutes more in the hope of a Brown Hairstreak. My allotted time was now drawing to a close and I had promised to get home by lunch time. On my return to the car I again bumped into my colleague as a first world war Fokker triplane flew overhead, surely rarer than a Brown Hairstreak :wink: He had met another watcher who had seen and photographed a female Brown Hairstreak on the other side of the site 15 minutes earlier :roll: :evil: Wrong place at the wrong time but never mind, I might try again in a week or so if the opportunity presents itself.

This brought my total species count for the day to 5 with all but the Meadow Browns in very low numbers. I was quite disappointed with this tally for a site which promises so much. I certainly need to visit earlier in the year.

On my return home I thought some garden tidying was in order. My neighbours Wisteria seems to have doubled in size this year and has been gradually invading my garden and blotting out the sun from my kitchen window :x Some severe pruning was neccessary. Whilst doing this a beautiful exotic looking caterpillar appeared :D I believe this is a Vapourer moth larva. It is a shame the adult moth is distintly unexotic by comparison. I returned it to the living part of the Wisteria.
Vapourer Moth larva in the garden

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Friday 21.9.2012 My Local Patch
I have been guilty of neglecting my local patch recently :( , so a day off work today meant I had the opportunity to visit my favourite local footpath. The weather was not ideal, very cool with the sun only barely visible through the cloud
Struggling Sun
Struggling Sun
. Only one butterfly seen :( , in an hour and a half, a Red Admiral that I disturbed from its roosting place. So I had to satisfy my interest with other things. I found a number of these Nettle Tap moths, something I have not noticed in the past. Up to eight seen on a single flower head.
Nettle Tap Moths Hedge End 21.9.2012
Nettle Tap Moths Hedge End 21.9.2012
Saturday 22.9.2012 My Local Patch
I had one of my best days out along the same local favourite footpath today :D When I opened the front door I could see 3 whites and a Red Admiral before I stepped outside, not bad for an area which is mainly tarmac and block paving. This was a good omen and plenty of warm unbroken sunshine in the middle of the day.
As I approached the large, multi trunked Ash tree along the path I disturbed 3 or 4 Red Admirals. I waited, as one does in these situations, as they circled round and came to rest on the sundrenched trunk of the tree :D . I observed for a while and then noticed that there was some fluttering activity in the shade behind the tree. As I took a closer look I could see there were several Red Admirals fluttering in this shaded area..
First view of my special Ash tree
First view of my special Ash tree
Behind my special Ash tree
Behind my special Ash tree
My special Ash tree
My special Ash tree
Red Admiral feeding at Ash sap
Red Admiral feeding at Ash sap
I have been passsed this tree many times in the past and not noticed this activity before.
This Ash tree has several trunks, as you can see in the photo. In fact it could be several trees all growing in the same place that have become fused together, it would make a good Master Tree if Brown Hairstreaks ever fancied popping in here :wink: . The way the trunks meet at the base forms a kind of 'atrium' in the centre and the ground at the back of the tree is about a metre lower than the front as it stands on the edge of a railway cutting. As I peered into the 'atrium' I could see several Red Admirals feeding on what I assume to be a sap run, hidden and out of site in the shade. I must admit to being quite excited at this point :D . I had seen the great video footage posted, only a few days prior, by 'chocky' recently of Red Admirals feeding at a sap run. Unfortunately it was dificult to manoevre myself easily into a position of good view without disturbing the assembled diners, so my photos do not really convey the whole event. I observed the spectacle for a while before moving on. Further on the footpath is dominated by Hawthorn and Bramble, both heavily laden with over ripe fruit, and then ends with a large clump of Buddleia. Today this stretch of footpath was alive with Red Admirals and Comma all feeding on the overripe blackberries. The butterflies were very tame and docile. The Commas particularly were difficult to spot initially being so still and well camouflaged even in wings open pose. However, once I got my eye in they appeared to be everywhere, often several in view at once. At one point I had a Comma on my nose when a Red Admiral alighted on my arm :wink: .
Small Copper Hedge End 22.9.2012
Small Copper Hedge End 22.9.2012
Small Tortoiseshell Hedge End 22.9.2012
Small Tortoiseshell Hedge End 22.9.2012
Red Admiral Hedge End 22.9.2012
Red Admiral Hedge End 22.9.2012
Small White Hedge End 22.9.2012
Small White Hedge End 22.9.2012
I soon reached the large clump of Buddleia which is now well passed its best but with still enough flower to attract a crowd. Today it played host to several Red Admirals and a couple of Small Whites. I was also surprised to see a female Brimstone, I have not seen one for a few weeks. I also spotted a solitary Small Tortoiseshell, the first I have seen in my local patch for several years :D :D :D . I then spotted a Small Copper, the first I have seen locally this year :D :D . After a while of observing I returned homeward along the same stretch of footpath to have a final glimpse at my 'special' Ash tree. By now it was gone 4pm and the temperature had started to drop :( , when I got to the tree there was only one Red Admiral but also a Speckled Wood fluttering around at the back of the tree, though I did not see it stop on the sap run.
Overall quite a good count for the day and I shall certainly be back to check out this Ash tree regularly. I am still a little concerned about the Speckled Wood population along this stretch of footpath :( . Last year at this time the area was alive with them well into October.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Saturday 29.9.2012 My Local Patch
As the season draws to a close, reasonable weather today might be the last chance to see some butterfly activity. The foreseeable forecast does not look good with rain all week :( So I headed off down my local footpath again to check on my special Ash tree and see what else was about. A bit cooler than last week with more cloud but still some good sunny spells. I optimistically approached my 'special' Ash tree, but was disappointed to see no activity at all other than a walker using the tree as a seat to rest. This was a surprise as I rarely see anybody on this section of path.I felt slight selfish dissappointment that somebody else had found my special spot and made it their own :(
Part of my favourite local footpath
Part of my favourite local footpath
No butterflies seen at all until I reached the farthest point on the path where there is plenty of overripe blackberries. 9 Red Admirals, 5 Commas, 2 Speckled Wood and a Small White was the total count :) a little down on last week.
Red Admiral Hedge End 29.9.2012
Comma Hedge End 29.9.2012
Comma Hedge End 29.9.2012

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Saturday 6.10.2012 My Local Patch
After rain all week the sun shone today :D , as it has the last few weekends. I set off down my local footpath again for the third weekend in a row. It is interesting to see how things change week on week. Today there was pretty much unbroken sunshine from mid morning onwards and pretty warm at 1pm when I set off. Again no butterflies seen on my Ash tree :( or until I reached the very end of the footpath where the majority of the blackberries are together with the large clump of Buddleia. The Buddleia has now all but finished, just a few small flower spikes in the shade with no butterflies :( When I reached this point I had only seen 2 Commas and 1 Red Admiral. I was on the point of returning home disappointed and then realised that I was actually a bit earlier than I had been previously, so I hung around for a while. I am glad I did because within 15 minutes there were at least 7 Commas all feeding on the blackberries :D
Tame Comma Hedge End 6.10.2012
Tame Comma Hedge End 6.10.2012
Comma Hedge End 6.10.2012
Comma Hedge End 6.10.2012
Then 4 Red Admirals appeared chasing each other around above a large Hawthorn. I then spotted that the Hawthorn was topped by a large clump of densely flowering Ivy. From the restricted view I had I could see that this is where the Red Admirals were congregating together with a few Commas. Also seen 1 White which did not stop, possibly a Large White and 1 possible Small Copper which did not stop.
Something I witnessed today for the first time was Commas fighting over the same bunch of blackberries. I witnessed this several times. A pair would rear up face to face and appeared to prod each other with their proboscis until one party departed to another location. Sadly my camera struggles to capture these moments but I have done my best.
Commas fighting over blackberries
Commas fighting over blackberries
Several of the Red Admirals and Commas seen today were pretty tattered compared those seen last week, some with great chunks of wing missing. If any of these Red Admirals are thinking of returning south I think they will struggle :( Less butterflies seen this week compared to last and no Speckled Woods seen today :(

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Saturday 13.10.2012 My Local Patch
4 Red Admirals seen in Unbroken sunshine at Bishopstoke Recreation Ground this morning between 9.30 and 10 am, whilst my son was at football training. This afternoon a trip up my local footpath yielded numbers well down on the last couple of weeks with just 1 Comma seen :( With no butterflies on the wing I spent some time with my youngest son looking for Speckled Wood larvae. They were so easy to find this time last year in this area, the count for today was zero :( Then later 1 Red Admiral in the garden. I also counted 4 Knot Grass larvae in the garden, all feeding on different foodplants.
Sunday 14.10.2012 My Local Patch Again
5 Red Admirals and 1 Large White at Fleming Park around lunch time today whilst my youngest son was playing football :D This afternoon around 4pm 1 Red Admiral feeding on Hebe in the garden. Whilst I took a photo a Humming Bird Hawkmoth visited briefly :D :D The first one I have ever seen, what a magnificent creature, no photo sadly.
Red Admiral in the garden
Red Admiral in the garden

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

I have not seen a butterfly since the 14.10.2012, so not much to report in my first diary entry of 2013 :( . This is my second proper year of butterfly watching. This time last year I had already seen Comma, Peacock and Brimstone and we were basking in abnormally high temperatures. No such luck this year. However I AM CONVINCED THAT WE ARE IN FOR A MORE TRADITIONAL weather pattern this year. Though if the current cold snap continues much longer I may have to eat my words.

It took me a while to get going last year. I missed many of the earlier species whilst concentrating on my local patch. Species such as Duke Of Burgundy, Pearl Bordered and Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary and Green Hairstreak are some that I hopefully will not miss this year. During the main part of the butterfly season I neglected my local patch, I plan to rectify this too.

At the end of last year I discovered that my wifes cousin manages an area of ancient woodland locally (Swanmore). I think this certainly needs some investigation.

Hopefully I will have a little more to report in my next posting

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.

Return to “Personal Diaries”