millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: millerd

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:26 pmOverall, I managed to find 13 different species and a total of around 170 individual butterflies.
That's pretty respectable for the time of year, Dave. Nice to see a few more Holly Blues - I wonder if you'll get any later brooded ones like in years gone by?

Excellent male Green Veined White in your subsequent post. I don't think I've seen one so boldly spotted ever, whilst the second one has an unusually extended margin, and interesting hindwings too. :mrgreen:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good news about the MOT and the free Valet Service, that's the thing about the Co-Vid crisis you have to find the positives no matter how small :wink: Interesting seeing that extra spotted Green-Veined, the second individual is very eye-catching with the marks on the hind wing :D

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, all. It just shows that even amongst commoner butterflies like the GVW you can find some interesting variations. :)

Here's hoping for some third brooders, David. Among the relatively few Holly Blues I've been seeing some seem very new, so perhaps they are early third, rather than late second brood. :)

Time to catch up a bit, after another weekend in Yorkshire (which included one day teleported straight from January... :( )

Wednesday 19th August was very wet, so Thursday 20th was my next outing. I started at Bookham again, but despite covering more ground than last time I was disappointed as far as Brown Hairstreaks were concerned. However, there were a few Speckled Woods and Small Heaths around...
SpW1 200820.JPG
SH1 200820.JPG
...but the new Small Coppers stood out.
SC1 200820.JPG
SC2 200820.JPG
SC7 200820.JPG
The first two are different individuals, but both were heavily marked; the third is more of a "classic" specimen.

In the afternoon, I went out on my local patch - nothing exceptional here either, though I came across a nice new Red Admiral...
RA2 200820.JPG
...and managed to check a few Small Whites amongst the many flying just in case one was something a bit more southern. :) It wasn't.
SW1 200820.JPG
There were a few Holly Blues around, and I spotted one that didn't seem quite right. The reason soon became apparent...
HB1 200820.JPG
HB2 200820.JPG
I don't think I've ever seen a crab spider lurking on a bramble flower or quite so high up before. Still, that male Holly Blue appeared worn enough to have already led a productive life, so you can't begrudge the predator its meal really.

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those are quite dusky Coppers Dave - is that the third brood - I've lost track now - or late second? :? Some lovely photos and looking out for the Southern Small White is bound to pay off soon - aren't they at Calais now? :wink:

Have a goodun and stays safe

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel - yep, Southern Small Whites were seen just down the Channel coast from Calais in 2019, so sooner or later they'll get blown across. When I lived in Dover back in the 80s, there regularly used to be migrations of white butterflies from across the Channel: one year in particular I remember seeing clouds of them. If that happened now, I'm sure any mannii would be swept along with the throng. Anyone checking the Kent coast for LTB and Cloudies should be looking at all the Small Whites as well - a whole new species would be a much bigger find (though not terribly spectacular from an aesthetic point of view of course! :) ).

More dusky Coppers to come, this time from my local patch - I think these are definitely third brood looking at the pattern of sightings here.

Friday 21st August. Some morning sunshine and reasonably warm at 24 degrees. I had another shorter walk on my local patch (large areas are now bereft of butterflies since the heatwave - apart from the odd Meadow Brown - so are no longer really worth looking at).

This Holly Blue looked pretty new...
HB1 210820.JPG
...but these female Common Blues less so.
CB1 210820.JPG
CB2 210820.JPG
CB3 210820.JPG
However, the highpoint of the walk was finding three fresh Small Coppers that definitely hadn't been there the previous day.
SC5 210820.JPG
SC6 210820.JPG
SC7 210820.JPG
One of these was particularly dark and heavily marked.
SC1 210820.JPG
SC3 210820.JPG
SC4 210820.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Saturday 22nd August. Another sunny(ish) morning and another extensive look for Hairstreaks at Bookham without success. There were some more new Small Coppers and a Comma feeding up on fermenting blackberries.
SC2 220820.JPG
SC1 220820.JPG
SC3 220820.JPG
Comma2 220820.JPG
Sunday 23rd August was very similar, but proved to be a victory of hope over expectation. This time my searches down at Bookham came up with this brief view of a female Brown Hairstreak.
BH1 230820.JPG
BH3 230820.JPG
BH4 230820.JPG
Nearby was a female Common Blue, something of a surprise since I've seen very few of these down at Bookham.
CB3 230820.JPG
CB2 230820.JPG
Finally, as I wandered back to the car I was startled by a sudden splash of orange - a Jersey Tiger moth was whizzing around before settling down to nectar and providing some unusual views of its underside.
JT1 230820.JPG
JT3 230820.JPG
JT7 230820.JPG
JT4 230820.JPG
JT5 230820.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

With continuing warmth and a bit of brightness, I decided to spend the afternoon of 23rd August down at Denbies - starting of course with a coffee from the van.

Overall, the visit was rather disappointing. Only the last few male Chalkhill Blues remained, tired and ragged now...
ChB1 230820.JPG
ChB2 230820.JPG
...and the hoped-for Adonis took a great deal of finding.
AB1 230820.JPG
They seem to have had a very poor second brood here. There were reasonable numbers of female blues, but trying to call the species when they are so worn became impossible. I did however manage to single out a Brown Argus from amongst them.
BA1 230820.JPG
There were still quite a few Silver-spotted Skippers, though these too had seen better days.
SSS1 230820.JPG
SSS2 230820.JPG
SSS3 230820.JPG
Even the numbers of Meadow Browns and Small Heaths were far lower than I would have expected to see. Aside from the odd Small Copper, that was about it. No sign of any Clouded Yellows...

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Your Jersey Tiger deserves a :mrgreen: . I have never seen one.
It must be a good year for them, I've seen many reports of them on other sites.
I've never had much luck just happening upon spectacular moths, except a fresh Emperor moth
at work many years ago.

Not seen a Cloudie yet either,
Stay well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A great set of shots Dave :D Those Coppers certainly were dusky 8) surely the one with the massive markings is an ab.maxima or some such? :? Those Silver Spots do look a bit knackered, still cute though but more like a well worn and loved Teddy now than one that's fresh off the shelves at Build A Bear :wink: :lol:

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Trevor - yes, Jersey Tigers are certainly appearing more often round here, and make a spectacular sight when flying. They tend to settle in shady spots and under leaves, so this one nectaring in the sunshine was a real bonus. :)

Cheers, Wurzel - I've got another selection of interesting Coppers coming up in a few posts time. Such a variable species - I may have to consult that ab. list again to see if any qualify! :) :wink: I've also got a few more SSS waiting in the wings too, with at least one from a couple of days ago only just out of the cellophane wrapping. :)

Monday 24th August. Back to the local area for the morning, with things staying warm (24 degrees) though not very sunny (bright though). A count notched up a bit over a hundred individuals of 12 species.

The three white butterfly species accounted for half the total:

Large White 10
LW3 240820.JPG
LW5 240820.JPG
Small White 34
SW1 240820.JPG
Green-veined White 6
GVW1 240820.JPG
GVW2 240820.JPG
I could only find one remaining Brown Argus.
BA1 240820.JPG
There were however 8 Common Blues. The underside of the first one had very pale lunules, but it was too worn to say for certain whether it was ab. flavescens.
CB1 240820.JPG
CB2 240820.JPG
Two Small Coppers today, recognisably two of those seen a few days earlier.
SC2 240820.JPG
SC3 240820.JPG
There were a few more Speckled Woods, but with just four seen, they remain thin on the ground here.
SpW1 240820.JPG
26 Meadow Browns was a pretty reasonable total for this stage in the season, and the 13 Small Heath also wasn't a bad showing.
SH1 240820.JPG
It was also pleasing to see another Painted Lady in a year notable for their near absence, even though it was far from perfect.
PL2 240820.JPG
PL4 240820.JPG
Red Admirals are always around though.
RA1 240820.JPG
Finally, I was entertained by a Holly Blue. I saw only four altogether, including a worn but nicely posing female...
HB2 240820.JPG
...but a fresh male provided a better show. I first spotted it enjoying the minerals from a large muddy puddle. At one point it nearly landed on the water surface, but luckily thought better of it.
HB4 240820.JPG
HB6 240820.JPG
As is often the case, it felt the need to warm up after these exertions and sat on a bramble and basked for a bit.
HB7 240820.JPG
However, instead of returning to the mud, it decided to nectar instead.
HB10 240820.JPG
HB12 240820.JPG
It then took off as I pressed the shutter and disappeared.
HB13 240820.JPG
That left the afternoon to play with.

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Nice to see Large Whites making up a decent proportion of your daily sightings, Dave. Not been great numbers of those around my way this year.

You seem to also be seeing some very nicely marked Small Coppers as well as some Holly Blues in pretty good condition.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Some lovely marked Whites there amid the immaculate (and some not quite so) Holly Blues and Dusky Coppers :D :mrgreen: The green-veined White in particular really stands out :D

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, decent numbers of Large Whites have only just started appearing, David. The only caterpillars I've seen this year were on a patch of Garlic Mustard in a bit of woodland, so hardly a garden pest. :)

It's good to see that there are still some fresh butterflies arund, Wurzel. That male Holly Blue was very new and I wonder that since the second brood started to appear at the end of June, this might be the first of a third brood. The fresh Coppers definitely are, but they have been known to squeeze in a fourth brood in favourable years.

As it seemed warm and bright enough, I decided to spend the afternoon of 24th August up at Aston Rowant again. This chalk hillside is definitely more rewarding than the North Downs sites at this end of the season with many more flowers and appreciably more butterflies.

Despite the lack of much bright sunshine, I found that there were still a fair few Silver-spotted Skippers flying: most were starting to look a bit worn now.
SSS1 240820.JPG
SSS2 240820.JPG
SSS3 240820.JPG
SSS10 240820.JPG
SSS12 240820.JPG
Not all though...
SSS5 240820.JPG
SSS9 240820.JPG
One seemed very docile...
SSS13 240820.JPG
...but was happy enough to be given a lift to a nearby scabious.
SSS14 240820.JPG
There were more male Adonis Blues than I'd seen at Denbies, and some were still quite fresh - though they continue to be brilliantly coloured even as they wear.
AB2 240820.JPG
AB3 240820.JPG
AB6 240820.JPG
AB5 240820.JPG
Amongst the many female blues flying, for some reason I felt that this one was an Adonis, rather than a Chalkhill.
AB7 240820.JPG
There were still Chalkhills around, some in reasonable condition for the very end of August.
ChB7 240820.JPG
ChB5 240820.JPG
ChB1 240820.JPG
This (I think! :) ) is a female Chalkhill.
ChB2 240820.JPG
Also seen were lots of Brown Argus...
BA3 240820.JPG
...but very few Common Blues. There were also still plenty of Meadow Browns and Small Heaths, and not to be left out, a handful of new Small Coppers. For once, this example appears to be the standard textbook version - with no oversize spots, no colour variation, and no blue scales...
SC1 240820.JPG
Overall, there's still plenty of life at this Chiltern site to carry on into September.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

For the next three days (25th-27th August) I remained local. It was reasonably warm on the first two days, and the 26th also had some sunshine so unsurprisingly that was the best day for the butterflies with around a hundred counted again. A selection:
a fairly new male...
a fairly new male...
...and likewise a female
...and likewise a female
the only one to open its wings
the only one to open its wings
another fresh male puddling
another fresh male puddling
everyone likes a blackberry...
everyone likes a blackberry...
...though some prefer the flowers
...though some prefer the flowers
very familiar - that hindwing gash identifies it...
very familiar - that hindwing gash identifies it...
...and seen again on 27th
...and seen again on 27th
basking angled towards the sun
basking angled towards the sun
very prominent hindwing spots
very prominent hindwing spots
very worn
very worn
a nice well-marked fresh female
a nice well-marked fresh female
a new male
a new male
a fresh female with a distinct yellow hue
a fresh female with a distinct yellow hue
a new male
a new male
quite a fresh one...
quite a fresh one...
...but this one was brand spanking new
...but this one was brand spanking new
the one seen a few days ago
the one seen a few days ago
a second individual, newer and brighter
a second individual, newer and brighter
Finally as I reached home, this little chap emerged from my neighbour's box hedge. The caterpillars seem to have made a mess of the foliage again, so there could be more to come...
an attractive pest species
an attractive pest species
I was now away in Yorkshire for the last few days of the month, including Saturday 29th - a day that did not belong to the summer at all.

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Nice selection but it's that GVW that really caught my eye, heavily marked enough to approach ab. status with elements of triangulata and striata looking at various images.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of reports Dave :D Most jealous of the Silver-spot in the hand - a species I need to add to my collection :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Also what's up with that Green-veined White - in the words of the 'yoof' "It's like well inked" :shock: :lol:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:48 pm...Finally as I reached home, this little chap emerged from my neighbour's box hedge. The caterpillars seem to have made a mess of the foliage again, so there could be more to come..
Oh dear! I do hope not, Dave.

This moth has decimated the foodplant in parts of the Alpes Maritimes over the last few years. They were everywhere in both 2018 AND 2019, and are an import we could well do without. :(
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Bugboy - it was only when I looked at the photos later that I realised just how heavily marked that GVW was. A mixture of striata and triangulata... that must be strangulata then... :wink: :)

Strangely for such an active little butterfly, Wurzel, I've coaxed several Silver-spots onto my finger. In the depths of the archive I've even got a photo of my youngest aged about 3 with one sitting on his nose... :)

Unfortunately, David, I think the Box Tree Moth is here to stay. Ironically, pest species can also be quite attractive: and attractive species can also be pests. In the oft-quoted example, Long-tailed Blues are supposed to be a pest on broad beans in Hawaii... :)

I travelled north on Friday 28th August, watching the temperature steadily drop as I gained latitude. On Saturday 29th August I met a friend for lunch on a day that could have been any day of the year - with perhaps the exception of July or August! It was breezy, grey, increasingly wet and the temperature dipped to only 10 degrees. Hard to believe when less than three weeks earlier I'd been booking myself into air-conditioned hotels to escape the night-time heat... :roll:

However, Sunday 30th August was a better day - distinctly warmer and with a bit of sun. The butterflies responded and the main protagonists were Small Tortoiseshells. Both in my sister's garden in Wilberfoss and up the road at Allerthorpe they were plentiful - and quite variable too.
ST7 300820.JPG
ST6 300820.JPG
ST5 30020.JPG
ST3 300820.JPG
ST2 300820.JPG
ST3 300820.JPG
ST2 300820.JPG
ST1 200820.JPG
It was great to see so many - the last one I saw on my local patch was way back on 11th July...

My sister's Victoria plum tree had burst forth with an excess of ripe fruit, something the local Red Admirals find impossible to resist.
RA6 300820.JPG
RA5 300820.JPG
RA3 300820.JPG
RA2 300820.JPG
RA1 300820.JPG
RA4 300820.JPG
Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some great photos in your recent reports Dave. I particularly like the Jersey Tiger, a species that is becoming more widespread every year with even a few reports from Warwickshire this year, something that would have been unheard of just a few years ago.
millerd wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:24 pm Unfortunately, David, I think the Box Tree Moth is here to stay.
It is indeed. Many sighting in Warwickshire now and moving further north each year. My son Chris is getting them regularly now in his garden moth trap in Stratford-upon-Avon although luckily he has no box plants plants in his garden. I've not had any yet in my trap but it can only be a matter of time.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I love watching the Red Admirals get smashed Dave 8) they're like a Saturday night in miniature - even getting a bit leery and starting on one another :lol: Good to see so many Small Torts - although we're still not doing too bad for them over my way :wink: 8)

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”