Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Matsukaze

Re: Goldie M

Post by Matsukaze »

In my garden, the butterflies are stopping by to visit small and field scabious (whites mostly, also Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown and Common Blue), marjoram (Gatekeeper, in considerable numbers, Common Blue and Small Copper, as well as loads of bees), buddleia (the usual vanessids) and Dianthus carthusianorum (Brimstones).
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks for the info Matsukaze, it's always helpful to know what flowers attract Butterflies, I also think your garden must be near some fields, am I right :?: mine is near the sea and i'm hoping to get some species from France into it, you never know until you try :D so I'm definitely going to plant perennial Sweet Peas, I've yet to see a Small Copper this year so I'll definitely try to put some Marjoram in that you pointed out attracts them, I never thought of Marjorham before, but it'll fit well into a corner I was wondering what to plant there, thanks again :D Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I went back to Reculver today Allan, I'd been out to Lunch with my Daughter, we went to the place you told me about but the only Butterflies flying were the Whites ,I didn't see even a Gate Keeper this time although the Holly Blue has we walked back a long the road were out :D
Every thing is so dried up here, I may pay Temple Ewell a visit later in the week, hope fully I'll see some thing :D
It did look a good place to visit though when things get back to normal. :D Goldie :D
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Lost of Chalkhill Blues and a fair few Silver Spotted Skippers At Temple Ewell last week, especially at the Lydden end. Also the first Adonis Blues and one Clouded Yellow.

Well worth a visit when the weather cools down.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks essex, I was going to go this Friday, it's going to be hot though, I think if I go in the morning it could be alright, I see the weather next Wednesday could be cooler after the thunder storms ( if we get them) :D But the Butterflies might not be in such good shape, fingers crossed I'll get there, :D Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I was in the garden this morning when I happened to see this Holly Blue, I thought here we go again, over the fence, to my surprise it landed on what can only be described has a single Daisy,( don't ask me to spell it's name) :D I know it begins with with M :D
I ran inside to get my camera thinking, it'll be gone when i get out again, I didn't take the camera with me into the Garden because of the heat, I was pleased when I saw it was still there and a female to boot .

I also discovered this Pear tree last week and yet another Gate Keeper :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Gate Keeper 6th August 2022.jpeg
Pears in my Garden 11th aug 2022 (1).jpeg
Pears in my Garden 11th aug 2022.jpeg
Holly Blue 11th August 2022 (1).jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant capture of the Holly Blue Goldie :D You might be alright if you get out early enough before the heat really sets in :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

A Holly Blue female on a Michaelmas Daisy!! :) What a treat, Goldie. :mrgreen:

Enjoy the Gatekeepers while they last. They're already on the decline round my way. By month end they'll be all but gone.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for your post Wurzel and David, it's been a while since I posted, seems I've so many things going on at present, yesterday though I was determined to get out, the weather was more to my style :D

I went back to Temple Ewell, I got there about 10am, I thought at first it was going to be another wasted journey, every thing looked brown and passed it's best but Has I walked to the far end of the field I found there was still lots of growth and flowers, I decided this was the place to stay if there was butterflies about.

The sun was in and out of the clouds and I was seeing nothing but then I caught a glimpse of bright Yellow in the distance coming my way and not one but three Clouded Yellow appeared :D they all landed near me and I didn't know which to follow :D so I just aimed the camera :D

I also saw a nicely marked Meadow Brown and a Small Heath, when the Sun came out I saw a few Chalkhill Blue still hanging in there also Common Blue and a nice looking Green veined White, then to my delight two Small Copper appeared :D the vegetation was hope less for taking shots and seeds were all over my trouser legs but I managed to get shots of them all :D

I decided it was time to look for the Adonis and the Silver Spotted Skipper so I went to the top field where the grass was shorter but before i got there I found this lovely Butterfly with closed wings and when it opened it's wings they were brown tinged with Blue I think it's a Female Adonis.
When I reached the top field I found my Male Adonis but once again because it was windy there he didn't open his wings but I knew when I saw the tinge of Blue I was right , also the markings seemed like the ones on the Butterfly I'd just seen so I think my Brown Butterfly was an Adonis :D I didn't find the SPS but hope to go back there before it's too late.

I didn't have a wasted journey after all :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_7446.jpeg
IMG_7422.jpeg
IMG_7442.jpeg
IMG_7437.jpeg
IMG_7422.jpeg
IMG_7408.jpeg
IMG_7399.jpeg
IMG_7534.jpeg
IMG_7515.jpeg
IMG_7498.jpeg
IMG_7462.jpeg
IMG_7467.jpeg
IMG_7469.jpeg
IMG_7492.jpeg
IMG_7491.jpeg
IMG_7495.jpeg
IMG_7496.jpeg
IMG_7528.jpeg
IMG_7526.jpeg
IMG_7508 (1).jpeg
IMG_7503.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great range there Goldie = great to see ypu getting back out there and cracking shots :D 8) You've got a definite female Adonis there (surely :wink: ) as the chequers go all the way though and the and to my eyes the markings on the hind wing look blue :D Three Cloudys :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, glad you like the Adonis :D :D Hope fully it is :D Every thing else seemed worn compared to the Adonis, the male didn't like the breeze at all, I'd walked up the through the tree's to the top field and when I saw them this particular one was hiding from the wind, thank goodness I saw the tip of Blue :D I waited and waited for it to open it's wings but it was a no go, if I get back there hope fully I'll see one with open wings ( like the female :D )
Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

So pleased you caught up with both Clouded Yellow and Adonis Blue, Goldie. No way you'd have done that in Lancashire.

Things are looking up very quickly. :mrgreen:
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Your right David, No way would I see any of these in Lancashire :D It's all getting exciting here at present but busy, I've just been given some Bulbs for the garden, and my Grandson is going to help me out a bit with the Garden, i've found a great trellis at the Bottom of the Garden and when spring comes it's going to have Sweet Peas growing up it. :D

My Daughter rang me this morning, " did I want to go to Temple Ewell", Well!! I couldn't really say no could I :D I did say I was disappointed at not finding an open winged Adonis though :D

When we got there the first Butterflies we saw were two Large White,( isn't love grand) , :D then we came across a rather nice looking Chalkhill Blue and another one who's Lady friend didn't seem to want to know :D

We then went up to the top field where I'd seen the Adonis, that's when I got my first shots for five maybe six years of them with open wings, I missed out every year with having to go back to the North, so it's assured me in more ways than one that I did the right thing in moving :D

I didn't find any Silver Spotted Skippers but they can wait for next year now, :D I've got my photos the Adonis. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_7582.jpeg
IMG_7576.jpeg
IMG_7574.jpeg
IMG_7571 (1).jpeg
IMG_7568.jpeg
IMG_7567.jpeg
IMG_7565.jpeg
IMG_7556.jpeg
IMG_7559.jpeg
IMG_7542.jpeg
IMG_7538.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see you filling your boots with chalk downland specialities, Goldie. :)

That's one thing I miss living in south Wales - I have to travel over the border to see these beauties.

You definitely did the right thing moving south, and I'm sure things will be even better once you've properly settled into your new home.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks David, I've had a really good year for the Butterflies in spite of the fact I've been busy moving in. I must admit though it's been great being near the family, it's good to have a place of my own and know if I need them they're there for me. :D
I saw the large Blue on the tele tonight , that's another one I've yet to see, that and just a few more to take me into 50 plus, roll on :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant Adonis Goldie - you've really caught the metallic sheen just right 8) :D I saw a trip report from yesterday and there were some Silver-spots spotted but they're definitely looking past their best besides it's always good to leave something for next year :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, :D I was really chuffed to finally see them again in all their glory :D I'd not seen them for years, I'd forgotten just how Blue they were, next year hope fully I'll have more time, I've missed a good few Butterflies this year, but the ones I got I'm happy with, Grizzed next year :D although they say they didn't have a good year a round here, that and the fact I'd the ear infection which didn't help. :roll: But that's life :D Goldie :D
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Hi Goldie. You haven't updated for a while so I hope everything is alright. I expect you have been busy with moving in. Please beware of the Queen of Spain fritillary sightings quite near you, at Walmer (Kent). They have been around for a couple of weeks or so, maybe not many more suitable days left to see this rare species. See sightings forum for all the details. 4 seen today. Late morning seems the best time for maximum numbers. Walmer is just south of Deal if you are not aware.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave, I don't seem to get away these days, my drive was a nightmare really, we found the couple in the house before us just used water Barrels at the side of the house and the conservatory and none of the main drain was used to catch the water, it ran over the barrels and into the foundations every time it rained, I'd to be here every day because the man needed the electricity to work, now that's finished my bathroom is arriving , I wanted a walk in shower and ended up with new toilet and sink as well :D
They say there's no Pockets in shrouds, :D just as well!!!! :D I couldn't fill them :D

I'd love to see the Butterfly but at present if I get every thing sorted this year I'll be okay for next year, the warmer climate is bringing the Butterflies to us now, I'm also sorting my garden out so I'll get more butterflies to stay a while, I've seen loads but always passing through :D

Thank you for your post and maybe next year I'll get a few migrants :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Good to know you're okay, Goldie - was getting a little worried about you.

Moving house is one of the most stressful events in anyone's life, especially when there is great distance involved.

It's priority number one for you right now. I'm sure the butterflies will wait and that what you prepare for them will be well received.

Good luck!

Return to “Personal Diaries”